AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 8377 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'm at CES. A Sony rep told me the 950G will not have HDMI 2.1 but it will have eARC. No VRR. Release expect the second half of 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if its released around the same time the Master Series was released in 2018.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
The 75” x95g or the new vizio pqx?? I think the cost will be the same.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
They probably have a ton of X900F's sitting in a warehouse they need to sell of, lol (joking as I know zero about panel logistics). They've been pretty discounted for some time now. I'm hoping to pick up a XBR65X900F in the $1000 range, but I'm not holding my breath.

I want a new TV. I've been sitting on my 720p 50" Samsung Plasma (that I still love, just want something bigger) for going on 8 years now. But I don't want to spend more than a grand if it doesn't have HDMI 2.1, because I feel like the benefits of HDMI 2.1 will certainly be present in about 2-3 years. I want to keep my next set for ~8 years like I always do. I'd hate to be tempted to replace a $2000 TV in 2-3 years, personally.

Maybe I'll just wait another year, but I wouldn't be surprised if even next year only the high-end models get HDMI 2.1 (i.e. $2000 and up). That'd be OK for me though, as I don't mind spending two grand on something that will last and be (more or less) future proof.

·
Registered
493 Posts
So I wonder if this is still a VA panel and not IPS? I wonder what X-Wide Angle is, exactly...
For my needs, I'm willing to give up some black level in exchange for better viewing angles. As long as the overall uniformity is good and it doesn't have that IPS glow. But I'm only thinking about the 55-65" size range, and it sounds like Sony isn't using the XWA tech on those sizes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
One thing I am wondering, it might seem insignificant to some.

2018 Samsung dropped DTS support over ARC while Sony still had it

I noticed the Sony Z9F doesnt support DTS over ARC

If this is the trend Sony G stuff probably wont support DTS over ARC

·
Registered
684 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
All i know right now is the 900F will run alongside the X950G lending credence to the fact that this may in fact replace the 930/940 price point and tier.

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
All i know right now is the 900F will run alongside the X950G lending credence to the fact that this may in fact replace the 930/940 price point and tier.

It is odd that every year there is a new model/letter C, D, E, F, and now G. The only model/letter that lasted for more than 1 year, 3 years to be exact was the Z9D. If 2019 was going to be all G models, why would Sony come up with the Z9F near the end of 2018 if it was going to dropped for a G in 2019. So maybe you are right the 900F will have a 2 year run. I still say Z9F is very much a sideways somewhat downwards move compared to a Z9D.

For the most part I don't think the Z9F is that much better than a 900F for the money. Every model year mostly brings improvements and if the 900Fs successor was the 950G I would expect the 950G to be better than the Z9F.

It starts getting confusing with their letter tier performance structure

900F midrange
950G upper midrange...kinda like 930/940E
Z9F high end range
Z9G ultra high end range
Z9I super ultra high end range lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
It is odd that every year there is a new model/letter C, D, E, F, and now G. The only model/letter that lasted for more than 1 year, 3 years to be exact was the Z9D. If 2019 was going to be all G models, why would Sony come up with the Z9F near the end of 2018 if it was going to dropped for a G in 2019. So maybe you are right the 900F will have a 2 year run. I still say Z9F is very much a sideways somewhat downwards move compared to a Z9D.

For the most part I don't think the Z9F is that much better than a 900F for the money. Every model year mostly brings improvements and if the 900Fs successor was the 950G I would expect the 950G to be better than the Z9F.

900F midrange
Z9F high end range
Z9G ultra high end range

The letter behind the series corresponds to the year of introduction as I have always understood it.

D= 2016
E= 2017
F= 2018
G=2019

That would mean that if a series has a new letter at the end, it is considered by Sony to be the next iteration of a series. Z9D from 2016 became Z9F in 2018 became Z9G in 2019. It does not mean that a previous iteration won't be made or available. If the series number in the beginning is different, it isn't an evolution of a particular model.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The letter behind the series corresponds to the year of introduction as I have always understood it.

D= 2016
E= 2017
F= 2018
G=2019

That would mean that if a series has a new letter at the end, it is considered by Sony to be the next iteration of a series. Z9D from 2016 became Z9F in 2018 became Z9G in 2019. It does not mean that a previous iteration won't be made or available. If the series number in the beginning is different, it isn't an evolution of a particular model.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Oh ya I get the year letter thing. Sony was still making new Z9D into late 2018

Sony brings in a Z9F near the end of 2018. Sony probably shouldn't have bothered with the Z9F and started 2019 off fresh with all G stuff. The Z9G is showing sizes of 85" and 98" only...they should make 65" and 75" Z9G and dump the Z9F

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I guess the Z9Z will come in 20-25 years and could be a floating frame with holographic emitters lol

·
Vendor
29,795 Posts
The Z9F is great for a lighted family room, not so much for a traditional dark theater room. The X95G is the mid-level LCD, a follow-on to the 900E and 900F, so it certainly will NOT be as good as the Z9F. It will have fewer zones, won't be as bright, so will have a lower PQ.
Well they did continue the model number in one way, they kept in line with adding the "G". The replacement for the Z9F will not be out for a good long while, probably September at Cedia.

·
Registered
169 Posts

900F midrange
Z9F high end range
Z9G ultra high end range
The 940e had the best black levels, so should 950g not have even better black levels? Why are people assuming the 950G is a successor to the 900f and not the 940e (skip generation inheritance!). If not, what new large (80"+) TV from Sony would have very good black levels(at least as good as 900f, hopefully 940e) at "normal" prices?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The 940e had the best black levels, so should 950g not have even better black levels? Why are people assuming the 950G is a successor to the 900f and not the 940e (skip generation inheritance!). If not, what new large (80"+) TV from Sony would have very good black levels(at least as good as 900f, hopefully 940e) at "normal" prices?

I am with you on the 950G, no 3D but at lease its a G. The 940E was closer to being a flagship than the Z9F

The Z9F is a nice TV, I just expected more. The Z9F is a flagship, it should kick a$$ for all led parameters

·
Registered
319 Posts

In the video it shows an X90G so that will be the900F replacement
it appears that the X950G is indeed more or less a X940E replacement...and it sure looks nice too
I am thinking the X950G for the 75" will have an introductory price of $6000 US
I hope it really kicks up the contrast and black level performance a few notches over the Z9F

Hell I would want a Z9G, but what I want and can afford are two different things.
My prediction is the 85" Z9G will be $10,000 US or more

21 - 40 of 8377 Posts