AVS Forum banner

6041 - 6060 of 7388 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had YouTube TV freeze a few times when first starting playback. In each case, rewinding a few seconds and resuming play usually clears it up. Overall, it seems to occur less often after I switched to the H firmware.

·
Vendor
27,474 Posts
Well I found my "problem". All this time I was trying to get my phone to connect and I just now read this on Sonys support site:

Mobile devices (smartphones or tablets) can't be connected through Bluetooth.

So that answers that!! DUH!!
If you buy a firestick you could cast to your firestick ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had YouTube TV freeze a few times when first starting playback. In each case, rewinding a few seconds and resuming play usually clears it up. Overall, it seems to occur less often after I switched to the H firmware.
Mine usually freezes on start up. The app shows the swirling circle as if it is going to load then just gets stuck ere. We have had it freeze during a show/program but that hasn't happened in a while. This seems to be happening less frequently than in the past so perhaps there is hope.

In fairness to the other apps, the 950G is the TV I use the most (not a huge TV watcher) and I rarely use other apps like Netflix or Amazon Prime. I do know that when youtube TV gets "stuck" and I switch to Netflix, it is working fine.

I'm going to hold off on the H firmware until I decide if I'm going to go through the call Sony investigate internet yet again sequence. Feel certain if the h firmware is installed i know where the blame will be cast!

·
Registered
238 Posts
There's plenty of "poor" service out there, sometimes the price we pay for cheaper prices. On flip side I own equipment for which I have gotten truly wonderful customer support with. I don't often call for help so am not a frequent user of phone/email support.

Once you have established a case number within Sony they should make use of it. My experience was they didn't even though when asked about it the information was there for them. It appeared to be a system designed to frustrate and discourage, which it succeeded in doing. Now, I am reticent to call again, believing they will put me through the same hoop jumping. But as a result they most likely have lost me as a future customer. But then given we just purchased 3 TVs in January I most likely won't be a customer again for 10 years anyway.

Anyhow, I have experienced different levels of help. The companies who have given us excellent support have earned repeat business when that time comes. The local small business who sold us the TVs and then walked away when the Tv *could* have been returned won't get any future business from us or word of mouth referrals. And Sony? Unless something changes most likely in 10 or so years when this big semi Smart TV needs to be replaced it won't be Sony. Of course whatever we go with at that time could always be worse. I'm not overly perturbed. The TV works with exception of reliability for the YouTube apps. But I do think for $3800 the apps should work and Sony could have done more to help.
Here's an example. Just got of the chat with Netflix complaining that I no longer get Atmos on my TV app. Their response? Check the internet connection. After that (93 Mbps, limited by the TVs network card) - fill out a form, "content team" will look into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine usually freezes on start up. The app shows the swirling circle as if it is going to load then just gets stuck ere. We have had it freeze during a show/program but that hasn't happened in a while. This seems to be happening less frequently than in the past so perhaps there is hope...
Our Sony 65X950G had the same problem after updating to Android 9. The only way we found to prevent it so far is to "force stop" the app and clear its cache each time after leaving the app. FWIW, we use the Hulu app most often.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Our Sony 65X950G had the same problem after updating to Android 9. The only way we found to prevent it so far is to "force stop" the app and clear its cache each time after leaving the app. FWIW, we use the Hulu app most often.
Thanks. Sounds like others have experienced similar issues. Is nice to know that!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here's an example. Just got of the chat with Netflix complaining that I no longer get Atmos on my TV app. Their response? Check the internet connection. After that (93 Mbps, limited by the TVs network card) - fill out a form, "content team" will look into it.
Hey! I like it.. Netflix gets to the point of doing nothing much more expeditiously! Does remind me of having to explain to Sony why the 95 mbps speed when connected via Ethernet was NOT a problem with out internet!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Has anybody else in Europe seen Netflix TV app dropping Atmos? I just noticed that yesterday, but I can't say whether I watched Netflix after I updated the TV to v6.3626 firmware. But yesterday, all shows that used to be in Atmos only stream in 5.1.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anybody else in Europe seen Netflix TV app dropping Atmos? I just noticed that yesterday, but I can't say whether I watched Netflix after I updated the TV to v6.3626 firmware. But yesterday, all shows that used to be in Atmos only stream in 5.1.
I confirm the Atmos dropping after the last update. If i turn on my Marantz SR5013 after opening Netflix app, Atmos will drop in seconds, leaving me with no sound at all. At ”Display & Sound - Audio output - Dolby Digital Plus output” the value will change automatically from ”Dolby Digital Plus” option to ”Dolby Digital” - the result is a change from ”Atmos” to ”5.1”.
Edit: closing Netflix app first, leaving the AVR on function and reopening Netflix app will result in no sound at all, even on TV app. I was forced to shutdown the AVR to get sound from tv. I have repeated the process 5 times and im getting the same result. This is not ok at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I confirm the Atmos dropping after the last update. If i turn on my Marantz SR5013 after opening Netflix app, Atmos will drop in seconds, leaving me with no sound at all. At ”Display & Sound - Audio output - Dolby Digital Plus output” the value will change automatically from ”Dolby Digital Plus” option to ”Dolby Digital” - the result is a change from ”Atmos” to ”5.1”.
Edit: closing Netflix app first, leaving the AVR on function and reopening Netflix app will result in no sound at all, even on TV app. I was forced to shutdown the AVR to get sound from tv. I have repeated the process 5 times and im getting the same result. This is not ok at all.
This is not what I'm talking about though. I actually don't have that problem. My problem was that instead of "usual" [Vision-Atmos] description of shows -- see the photo in the previous post -- I was getting [Vision - 5.1].

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is not what I'm talking about though. I actually don't have that problem. My problem was that instead of "usual" [Vision-Atmos] description of shows -- see the photo in the previous post -- I was getting [Vision - 5.1].
Check ”Display & Sound - Audio output - Dolby Digital Plus output” and make sure that you have ”Dolby Digital Plus” option instead of ”Dolby Digital”. See if it works. Do you get this description when the tv is using integrated sound speakers?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check ”Display & Sound - Audio output - Dolby Digital Plus output” and make sure that you have ”Dolby Digital Plus” option instead of ”Dolby Digital”. See if it works.

TV settings cannot change the fact that Netflix doesn't stream it. I'm not talking about what I hear. I'm talking about the Netflix app, not the TV settings. TV settings are the same as last week when everything was working fine. Yesterday I was talking to Netflix support, will wait till the evening to see if that brings anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
TV settings cannot change the fact that Netflix doesn't stream it. I'm not talking about what I hear. I'm talking about the Netflix app, not the TV settings. TV settings are the same as last week when everything was working fine. Yesterday I was talking to Netflix support, will wait till the evening to see if that brings anything.
Strange...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Netflix wont show/play Atmos on not capable tv`s so it actually can be some sort of software/settings problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When you change the sound mode (the settings that show below) it also changes in Netflix, from 5.1 to Atmos). I just tried it. Dialogue, Sport, etc show 5.1, Dolby shows Atmos.

I'm in Europe

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did the G to H update, seems to have worked smoothly once I figured out a couple of problems that were my mistakes. Couple of questions:

1. Do I need to keep the auto-updates off now? Just update via checking the Sony site and using the USB approach?

2. The H update appears to have reset my settings: is this normal? I did not do a hard reset (no need, I turned Bluetooth off on my remote before updating anything, then it reconnected with no problems, and the remote automatically updated - thanks @D-Nice! - but my setting seem to be changed from how I had them before.

Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
When you change the sound mode (the settings that show below) it also changes in Netflix, from 5.1 to Atmos). I just tried it. Dialogue, Sport, etc show 5.1, Dolby shows Atmos.

I'm in Europe

Well, now Atmos is back. I checked the sound mode, it is set to Dolby Audio. Of course with the kids watching TV in the morning, anything can happen, but tonight I did not change the any settings including the sound mode. Oh well, at least it's back.

·
Registered
491 Posts
When I look at the picture settings when watching the internal Netflix app, I see the HDR label up top in the picture settings. I do not see that when looking at the settings when watching Amazon Prime on the internal Prime app - should it be there?

·
Registered
371 Posts
When I look at the picture settings when watching the internal Netflix app, I see the HDR label up top in the picture settings. I do not see that when looking at the settings when watching Amazon Prime on the internal Prime app - should it be there?
It may depending on whether the video you are watching at the moment is an HDR title or not. Amazon Prime has many 4k UHD titles that are not HDR.

6041 - 6060 of 7388 Posts