AVS Forum banner

6061 - 6080 of 7363 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
So the X95H firmware just got released in Asia Pacific. I've installed it on my X95G and did a factory reset and everything is working as expected. The only hiccup is there's no Disney+ app. I had it installed and working fine on the X95G firmware but now with the X95H firmware, when I go to the Google Play store, it says the Disney+ app isn't supported.

Anyone run into the same issue or got any ideas on how to fix it?
I just checked the sony-asia website and there is no Asia Pacific firmware. Where did you find it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven’t been able to try this myself, but I think there’s a good chance you can ‘downgrade’ the firmware on these TVs if you want to (like going from ‘H’ series v6.4738 back to ‘G’ series v6.3626).

First, a bit of background. Android TV and phone Android are basically the same platform with a different user interface on top, so a lot of the technical information you can find online about Android phones also applies to TVs. Google put a lot of work into improving the update process with Android 8, both on TVs and phones. There are two major parts to that work.

The first is that they split the android system from its device drivers and defined a series of interfaces that the two use to talk to each other. They are now on separate ‘system’ and ‘vendor’ partitions that can be updated independently of each other. To release a device with Android 8 or later, manufacturers must make sure it works with a ‘generic’ Android system provided by Google. That makes it easy to do things like beta test Android 11 on any device.

Part two is that most devices released with Android 8 or later (including our TVs) have two copies of Android loaded on them. There’s an ‘A’ set of firmware partitions, and a ‘B’ set: there are actually two system and two vendor partitions (plus a bunch of other double-ups). Either the ‘A’ or ‘B’ set is active and in use. When the Android device downloads an update it can apply it in the background to the unused partition set. This makes updates much faster to install, and it also means it’s fine if the device loses power during an update: it’s still got working software on the other partition set, so it can just restart and try the update again.

If I haven’t lost you with the technical detail so far, here’s how I think you’d perform a ‘downgrade’. You’ll need a computer and a USB cable with male A-type connectors on both ends, so you can connect the computer and TV. I don’t have one of those cables, which is why I haven’t tested this.

1. Download the "SDK Platform Tools" for Android on your computer. It provides the 'adb' and 'fastboot' command-line tools used below.
  2. Enable developer options on your TV, then enable ADB.
  3. Note the IP address of your TV. Sony TVs only support ADB over a network, not a USB cable.
  4. Connect to the TV: "adb connect 192.168.1.152". The TV will produce a popup asking if you want to allow this.
  5. Reboot into the bootloader: "adb reboot bootloader". Don't do this if you don't have the A-to-A USB cable, or you can get stuck in the bootloader until you do a buttons and power cord version of the factory reset.
  6. Connect the TV and computer with the USB cable. "fastboot devices" should be able to find the TV.
  7. Run "fastboot getvar all" and look for the 'current-slot' line in the output. It'll be 'A' or 'B' - these are the partition sets I was talking about above.
  8. Switch to the other firmware 'slot' with "fastboot --set-active=a" or "fastboot --set-active=b". This is how you switch back to the previous firmware version.
  9. You need to perform a factory reset: it wipes the 'userdata' partition, and you can do this now with "fastboot -w".
  10. Finally, reboot with "fastboot reboot".
  11. The TV will take its time starting up. When it does, it should be running the previous firmware.
As an alternative to steps 7 & 8, you can also try pushing firmware update ZIP with "fastboot update sony_dtv0FA70A0BA0AB_00004300_16036261000521.zip".

I would provide links to sources, but I'm not allowed to yet. Anyway, the point of all this is that firmware upgrades aren't necessarily a one-way trip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you update them to the "H" firmware? If so, what differences did you see or take note of in terms of picture quality, etc.

Anything measurable?
I'm really worried about picture quality. The calibration of H model could be very different from the G model, due to the additional layer of x-wide angle and lower contrast ratio.
I'm a bit worried on what if this update worsen the G stock calibration?
Not sure. Someone who updated could confirm this.
I'm not that knowledgeable on this area.

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bought a 55" and 65" 950G at Best Buy's recent open box sale. I know the manager and he told me they were "buyer's remorse" purchases that got returned. I updated both to the 950H following Danny75's instructions. The 55 did great but the 65 I ended up returning. It began randomly turning off and on. I reset it several times but nothing worked. Luckily I was within the return time frame.

I'm guessing this has more to do with a defective set and not the update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know there are a few people in Europe eyeing up the firmware for other regions. If you “region hop” you’ll probably lose access to free-to-air broadcast TV (at a minimum).

Inside the firmware ZIP file there’s a “payload.bin”. It’s the main guts of the update. It starts with a series of Protocol Buffers messages that detail the partition images in the update, what to do with them, and their offsets in the file. There are tools that let you extract those partition images (search for “Android payload dumper”). These are the partition image files inside “payload.bin” (in this case, v6.3626):
3rd.img
boot.img
dtbo.img
linux_rootfs.img
recipe.img
system.img
tzbp.img
upgrade.img
vbmeta.img
vendor.img.
These can be extracted further using a tool like 7-Zip.

The “vendor” partition contains all the low-level drivers and services that let Android talk to the hardware it’s running on. I’ve compared the vendor partitions for version 6.3626 of the North American (NAA) and Asia-Pacific (PAA) firmwares. NAA has an ATSC tuner input service, while PAA substitutes it for a DVB tuner input service and a HBBTV launcher. I’ve not looked at a European-region firmware, but I expect that there are similar differences.

If you region hop firmware anyway, I don’t think it will do anything really nasty like kill your TV, say bad things about your mother, or set your house on fire. The really low-level stuff in /lib/firmware/ and /lib/hw/ is the same across the two firmware regions I looked at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There’s quite a lot of change in the vendor partition images for the G and H series firmware. This is where the low-level hardware drivers live. I’m comparing PAA v6.3626 to PAA v6.4762.

v6.4762 (H-series) has a number of new hardware services under /bin/hw/:
[email protected] (no equivalent in G)
[email protected] (both G and H have 1.1 and 2.0 versions of this)
[email protected] (G has 1.0 instead)
There are associated shared object library changes in /lib and /lib/hw/ (plus a new light_sensor.so).

/lib/firmware/mt5893_edid.fw is different. HDMI EDID information?

For those of you who have updated from G to H firmware on either an LED or OLED, does the light senor still work? On my A9F "OK Google" makes the white power light go orange. There's also a smaller orange light to the right for when "OK Google" detection is turned on. Do these still work on your TV (if it has equivalents)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There’s quite a lot of change in the vendor partition images for the G and H series firmware. This is where the low-level hardware drivers live. I’m comparing PAA v6.3626 to PAA v6.4762.

v6.4762 (H-series) has a number of new hardware services under /bin/hw/:
[email protected] (both G and H have 1.1 and 2.0 versions of this)
[email protected] (G has 1.0 instead)
There are associated shared object library changes in /lib and /lib/hw/ (plus a new light_sensor.so).

/lib/firmware/mt5893_edid.fw is different. HDMI EDID information?

For those of you who have updated from G to H firmware on either an LED or OLED, does the light senor still work? On my A9F "OK Google" makes the white power light go orange. There's also a smaller orange light to the right for when "OK Google" detection is turned on. Do these still work on your TV (if it has equivalents)?

Yes this all works as it did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm really worried about picture quality. The calibration of H model could be very different from the G model, due to the additional layer of x-wide angle and lower contrast ratio.
I'm a bit worried on what if this update worsen the G stock calibration?
Not sure. Someone who updated could confirm this.
I'm not that knowledgeable on this area.

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

Remember some of the Gs have the x-wide filter, I know the 75 i have does, not sure if the 65s do.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Remember some of the Gs have the x-wide filter, I know the 75 i have does, not sure if the 65s do.
The 65" doesn't have that filter. Quite honestly, I don't get the point of it. I was trying to look at my TV at all possible angles to see what is there that needs to be corrected by that filter and I could not find anything. Since supposedly the filter reduces contrast, I'm very happy I don't have it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The 65" doesn't have that filter. Quite honestly, I don't get the point of it. I was trying to look at my TV at all possible angles to see what is there that needs to be corrected by that filter and I could not find anything. Since supposedly the filter reduces contrast, I'm very happy I don't have it.
Me too. Id rather not have it since Im the only one that uses my TV and always from directly in front.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Me too. Id rather not have it since Im the only one that uses my TV and always from directly in front.

VA's viewing angles are so bad that even if you sit perfectly centered in front of a tv, there will be contrast and gamma shift on the sides of the screen because you look at them at an angle. Vincent talks about this in his review of X950H at 4:56:

As Vincent said, that wide viewing angle filter in X950H has been improved in comparison to models from previous years and it has almost no negative impact on contrast or black level and it makes them better while viewing from an angle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
VA's viewing angles are so bad that even if you sit perfectly centered in front of a tv, there will be contrast and gamma shift on the sides of the screen because you look at them at an angle. Vincent talks about this in his review of X950H at 4:56:

As Vincent said, that wide viewing angle filter in X950H has been improved in comparison to models from previous years and it has almost no negative impact on contrast or black level and it makes them better while viewing from an angle.

To be honest, once I got the TV, I can look at it myself. All reviews are useful to form an opinion on which TV to buy, but once I got it, I stop caring for reviews. What I am saying, that when I look at my TV not only while sitting in front, but also while walking around the room, I don't see any degradation of picture quality. If I'm looking at the TV from a side, then I don't see much, but clearly no filter can change that. Other than that, I don't see a problem. Maybe somebody with a measuring device will, but I certainly don't. So based on that I figure that this filter is not going to help me. That's not to say that the TV is perfect. I can see plenty of drawbacks. But nothing that changes with the viewing angle.

·
Vendor
27,408 Posts
VA's viewing angles are so bad that even if you sit perfectly centered in front of a tv, there will be contrast and gamma shift on the sides of the screen because you look at them at an angle. Vincent talks about this in his review of X950H at 4:56
That right there is excellent news.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVJ8tjPG18&t=296

Yeah I did see that on his review. But I can honestly say Id rather have the G with the H firmware anyways. Especially considering what I paid for it. But cant talk about that. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVJ8tjPG18&t=296

Yeah I did see that on his review. But I can honestly say Id rather have the G with the H firmware anyways. Especially considering what I paid for it. But cant talk about that. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
I have the 55" 950G and always sit in the middle (always have, even with the old CRT TVs from years ago).

Vincent is great but is also speaking from a technicality perfectionist POV.
IMO if you're the only one watching the TV and sit dead centre, there is absolutely no need for wide angle compensation on a 55" set.

Take note that he also says "especially as screens get bigger and bigger" when referencing angle offset degradation of any kind when watching from centre.

I see absolutely no degrading of contrast or any other picture alteration coming from the most extreme angles of the TV screen (not that 55" is "bigger and bigger"). It's likely why they put it in larger "G" sets.

Now that the filter is improved and degrades contrast less, why not slap it on smaller sets and jack the price (for any families who might watch the smaller sets from off centre)?

·
Premium Member
7,201 Posts

Vincent did not review a 950G with the angle filter. He was comparing it to another Sony with it. Its reported somewhere that 950G was already an improvement over the year before. I dont have any issue with filter

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Keep in mind viewing angles are affected by distance. Even if you sit dead center of a TV your viewing angle of the edges of the TV will be dependent on how far you sit from the TV. If you're 15' from a 55" TV, the edges will look the same as the middle. However, if you're 7' from an 85" screen, the edges will be at a much more extreme angle. This is where the wide angle feature may (or may not) benefit someone sitting dead center of the screen. It's not necessarily only for people sitting off angle of the TV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok now I’m having an issue. For the last two months I have had my Xbox running through my Soundbar. Only because I didn’t feel like rerouting my wires. Anyways, I never had an issue with sounds or lag ever through my soundbar. Well yesterday I decided to finally do it and run my Xbox directly through the tv. So once I did that I am Now experiencing major Game lag and Audio lag from my sound bar. Can anyone explain? Or give some information? How would it work flawlessly through my soundbar but not directly to the tv?? Makes no sense. Very frustrating. I have had the H update since it released if that maters and it still worked perfect through the soundbar....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also to son goku comment Vincent does also say the colors on the new 950h are no where near ass accurate in the 950h and that the contrast ratio Won’t be as high. Go back and watch it again.

6061 - 6080 of 7363 Posts