AVS Forum banner

6101 - 6120 of 7423 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thought I would share my recommended picture and audio presets for the X950G with everyone.

https://imgur.com/gallery/r2yhJJx

I welcome any feedback you might have.
I may have missed this, but what is the button combo for screenshots on the 950G? I haven't been able to get screenshots to work....

·
Registered
239 Posts
The only HDMI 2.1 feature that Sony has backported is Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC). Samsung implemented AMD's FreeSync technology on some of their 2019 TV's but that is not the same as the HDMI Forum's Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) technology so there is no proof that feature can be backported to HDMI 2.0. Samsung was also able to enable Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) on some 2019 TV's so that technology could potentially be backported on Sony but all that does is switch your TV to its Game preset when it detects a supported console gaming system. HDMI 2.1 also brings official support for Dynamic HDR (HDR10+) but Sony has clearly been in the Dolby Vision camp up to this point. I'm unsure about the portability of other HDMI 2.1 features such as Quick Frame Transport (QFT) or Quick Media Switching (QMS)

My opinion is don't count on Sony implementing any additional HDMI 2.1 features on their HDMI 2.0 TV's. They'll likely just wait and make HDMI 2.1 a selling point on 2021 sets when AVR's with HDMI 2.1 are ready for sale.

The DN1080 AVR already has HDMI 2.1. At the same time, for non-gamers eARC is the only feature of HDMI 2.1 that matters, as far as I understand.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I may have missed this, but what is the button combo for screenshots on the 950G? I haven't been able to get screenshots to work....
I just connected a standard keyboard to one of the TV's USB ports and used the Print Screen key, it was the easiest method that I could find.

Reactions: jlo8720

·
Registered
159 Posts
The DN1080 AVR already has HDMI 2.1. At the same time, for non-gamers eARC is the only feature of HDMI 2.1 that matters, as far as I understand.
The STR-DN1080 has HDMI 2.0a ports not HDMI 2.1. Supporting eARC (a feature of HDMI 2.1) is not the same as fully supporting HDMI 2.1. To the best of my knowledge there are currently no AVR's on sale anywhere that have HDMI 2.1 ports. I believe that Yamaha is the only company to even announce HDMI 2.1 availability on their upcoming AVR's.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...-rx-a8-rx-a6-rx-a4-rx-a2-new-2020-models.html

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
The STR-DN1080 has HDMI 2.0a ports not HDMI 2.1. Supporting eARC (a feature of HDMI 2.1) is not the same as fully supporting HDMI 2.1. To the best of my knowledge there are currently no AVR's on sale anywhere that have HDMI 2.1 ports. I believe that Yamaha is the only company to even announce HDMI 2.1 availability on their upcoming AVR's.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...-rx-a8-rx-a6-rx-a4-rx-a2-new-2020-models.html

Entire thread on discussing HDMI 2.1 and AVRs. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3061882-where-all-hdmi-2-1-avrs.html

The latest discussion has been on when the new Denon modes will be available and how many 2.1 ports will be available.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Entire thread on discussing HDMI 2.1 and AVRs. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3061882-where-all-hdmi-2-1-avrs.html

The latest discussion has been on when the new Denon modes will be available and how many 2.1 ports will be available.
My mistake, I missed the Denon X3700H, X4700H and X6700H leak. It seems that these upcoming models will likely also support HDMI 2.1 (but only on a single HDMI input). Unknown if that port will support all HDMI 2.1 features or simply provide 8K passthrough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure why people are questioning Dannyw75. I believe he has the knowledge and know how about these sets. I have been running the h firmware on my g series without problems I understand you are gonna have someone in every group that puts there 2 cents in and that's fine. my theory is you don't want to install then don't and then move on, I just don't appreciate the fact that certain people are keeping him from helping people like myself and others from helping on the board. I will say I wish there was a way to back up the original g firmware before moving to the h firmware. but that's the chance we take when we installed it. and for DannyW75 there are people like myself that still need your help and support, and thank you for all you help with this. so stick around. thanx.

·
Super Moderator
16,103 Posts
Posts deleted. It is one thing to discuss installing 950H firmware on the 950G. Discussion of modding and hacking manufacturer firmware is not permitted at AVS. Further questions on this, please use the contact us link on the bottom of every page to contact forum administration.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not sure why people are questioning Dannyw75. I believe he has the knowledge and know how about these sets. I have been running the h firmware on my g series without problems I understand you are gonna have someone in every group that puts there 2 cents in and that's fine. my theory is you don't want to install then don't and then move on, I just don't appreciate the fact that certain people are keeping him from helping people like myself and others from helping on the board. I will say I wish there was a way to back up the original g firmware before moving to the h firmware. but that's the chance we take when we installed it. and for DannyW75 there are people like myself that still need your help and support, and thank you for all you help with this. so stick around. thanx.
It hurts to see people not appreciating and being grateful towards DannyW75. I for one AM however happy with him. Without him, i would've never known these things would be possible.
Let's be clear, I have absolutely nothing against Danny or his discoveries. The H-firmware on G-models was a great find. He is a valuable and knowledgeable member of this community and it would be sad if he chose to no longer participate here. I also do not dispute in any way that the panels used in the X950G and X950H can support 4K/120p but that is not the same as the TV being fully HDMI 2.1 capable. HDMI 2.1 is a generational leap from HDMI 2.0 and it requires a completely new SoC for hardware support of its features, they can't simply be enabled through software. There is also no way to test claims of having enabled HDMI 2.1 features since there are no HDMI 2.1 sources available to test the with. The MT5895 (MediaTek S900) found in the upcoming X900H is the first fully HDMI 2.1 compliant SoC used in any Sony TV. The easiest way I can think to explain my position is that all HDMI 2.1 televisions are 4K/120p capable but not all 4K/120p capable televisions are HDMI 2.1 televisions. Kind like all owls are birds but not all birds are owls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let's be clear, I have absolutely nothing against Danny or his discoveries. The H-firmware on G-models was a great find. He is a valuable and knowledgeable member of this community and it would be sad if he chose to no longer participate here. I also do not dispute in any way that the panels used in the X950G and X950H can support 4K/120p but that is not the same as the TV being fully HDMI 2.1 capable. HDMI 2.1 is a generational leap from HDMI 2.0 and it requires a completely new SoC for hardware support of its features, they can't simply be enabled through software. There is also no way to test claims of having enabled HDMI 2.1 features since there are no HDMI 2.1 sources available to test the with. The MT5895 (MediaTek S900) found in the upcoming X900H is the first fully HDMI 2.1 compliant SoC used in any Sony TV. The easiest way I can think to explain my position is that all HDMI 2.1 televisions are 4K/120p capable but not all 4K/120p capable televisions are HDMI 2.1 televisions. Kind like all owls are birds but not all birds are owls.
I've been following this thread for ages. I just want to thank Danny for taking the time do do all this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Posts deleted. It is one thing to discuss installing 950H firmware on the 950G. Discussion of modding and hacking manufacturer firmware is not permitted at AVS. Further questions on this, please use the contact us link on the bottom of every page to contact forum administration.
So is it something like, we no longer will be able to install H firmware on G set on AVS forum?
If yes then that's really sad.

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,103 Posts
So is it something like, we no longer will be able to install H firmware on G set on AVS forum?
If yes then that's really sad.

Not what that says.

Reactions: Gam3r 4 Life

·
Super Moderator
16,103 Posts
I'm sorry, i'm not a native English speaker. Can you please help me to understand.

Discussion of modifying and hacking the actual manufacturer firmware is not permitted.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sony doesn't make it easy to find such specs. However, the description of the latest firmware update has the following

• Adds support for the eARC feature.
    NOTES:
    • eARC is a new HDMI 2.1 standardized function which adds support for the latest audio formats, in addition to audio formats supported by the existing Audio Return Channel (ARC) function
    • The eARC feature allows you to enjoy object audio content such as Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD and DTS:X, or multi-channel LPCM content that cannot be transmitted with the ARC function
  • Improved system stability
  • Enables Dolby Vision pass through
I guess that's where I got the HDMI 2.1 for this AVR. Now the product specs mentions 18Gbps bandwidth for most HDMI ports except for one or two with 9 GBps (no clue what's the point of that). I guess HDMI 2.1 should support 48Gbps, right? But since nobody is talking about 8K players and discs, most people don't need that either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion of modifying and hacking the actual manufacturer firmware is not permitted.
Okay I understand. But installing the unmodified H firmware on the G model is allowed and not considering as hacking or modding right?
Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm sorry, i'm not a native English speaker. Can you please help me to understand.

Simply put, discussions of downloading an official file from Sony support (e.g., XH95 firmware), putting it on a USB stick, and plugging that stick in a TV (not necessarily a XH95) are allowed. Discussions of modifying (hacking) said files are not allowed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Simply put, discussions of downloading an official file from Sony support (e.g., XH95 firmware), putting it on a USB stick, and plugging that stick in a TV (not necessarily a XH95) are allowed. Discussions of modifying (hacking) said files is not allowed.
Thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
239 Posts
HDMI 2.1 is like a brand new 10-lane highway in the middle of the countryside. There's not much reason for it right now, but it offers an easy way to expand in the future. If you're not considering an 8K TV then it's a 10-lane highway in the countryside of a different state or country. Cool, but not something that will impact your immediate future.
Source - https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what-you-need-to-know/ . Not my favorite site, but this article seems reasonable, albeit too long for what it says.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Under Remotes & Accessories, did you attempt to repair the remote via the Remote Control menu or Bluetooth Settings menu? Post update, the status of the Bluetooth Settings menu is irrelevant when it comes to the remote. It will automatically activate once you attempt to re-pair the remote via the Remote Control menu— post remote software update.
I would love to get this working without having to completely reset. Here is what I'm seeing along with a bunch of others, I'm sure. Note, "Software update" option is disabled. Any ideas?

6101 - 6120 of 7423 Posts