AVS Forum banner

6721 - 6740 of 7053 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Question that I think is simple but having a hard time finding what I need: We have our 65" 950G sitting on top of a cherry piece of furniture that my wife loves. We need to elevate the TV about six inches to a foot. The top of the furniture where the TV is currently sitting is flat. For various reasons, a wall mount is not feasible in this setup. Is there a simple small wide stand that is made for this or that would work for this?
I use the following Perlesmith stand with my 65" X950G because the OEM feet were too wide for my existing TV table.

https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Universal-Stand-Plasma-Screen/dp/B07XLMQ39D/

Don't know if you'll get a foot of lift from it but you should easily get 6". The stand is extremely sturdy and features a nice wide base for excellent stability.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use the following Perlesmith stand with my 65" X950G because the OEM feet were too wide for my existing TV table.

https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Universal-Stand-Plasma-Screen/dp/B07XLMQ39D/

Don't know if you'll get a foot of lift from it but you should easily get 6". The stand is extremely sturdy and features a nice wide base for excellent stability.

Thanks! That looks like what I need. Kinda scary to have a narrower base after the super wide stands on the 65-950G but I assume it would be fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyone else notice that Dolby Vision looks bright and colorful in the X950G home app when you play Netflix, Amazon, VUDU ect...

But the HDMI inputs for my Xbox, Apple TV, Blu-Ray Player ect... looks dark and less colorful?

What’s the issue? Is their a fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
379 Posts
Anyone else notice that Dolby Vision looks bright and colorful in the X950G home app when you play Netflix, Amazon, VUDU ect...

But the HDMI inputs for my Xbox, Apple TV, Blu-Ray Player ect... looks dark and less colorful?

What’s the issue? Is their a fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
D Nice has made many posts about this with Sony TVs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve got an LG UHD player that won’t do Dolby Vision with my Sony TV. Will a Panasonic UHD player and the Sony TV work together for Dolby Vision content on 4K discs?

Thanks

·
Registered
861 Posts
I’ve got an LG UHD player that won’t do Dolby Vision with my Sony TV. Will a Panasonic UHD player and the Sony TV work together for Dolby Vision content on 4K discs?

Thanks
Yes it will. I have the Panny 820 and it does/shows DV when playing a DV disk...my LG did not.

·
Registered
379 Posts
any link to that post I could get?
I'm too lazy to go looking for the links, sorry, but he said that for apps like Netflix, you want to use Dolby Vision Dark and for external sources like HDMI, you want to use Dolby Vision Day or whatever. Doing this both follow closely the tone mapping with the way Sony has Dolby Vision set up on their TVs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thoughts on this TV vs. a x900h in 65"? I have gone through 3 65" x900h and they all have had vertical black bars causing dse. I can't watch hockey or F1 without noticing it,and its honestly a deal breaker. Looking online, I can get a x950g for the same price. Im probably 60% gaming, 40% netflix/streaming. Also you could update the firmware with the 950h to get a faux 2020 tv.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Absolutely perfect uniformity on any color with my 65XG95. In this regard you will be satisfied if you can still find it out there.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hope this clarifies the x-motion clarity a bit. From the x950h thread:
I did read that post. In fact, it does not clarify anything, since if the setting "2" turns on a feature, then what's the point of having the setting "1"?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thoughts on this TV vs. a x900h in 65"? I have gone through 3 65" x900h and they all have had vertical black bars causing dse. I can't watch hockey or F1 without noticing it,and its honestly a deal breaker. Looking online, I can get a x950g for the same price. Im probably 60% gaming, 40% netflix/streaming. Also you could update the firmware with the 950h to get a faux 2020 tv.
I had my 75X950G side by side with a 85X900H. I wanted to upgrade for the size and HDMI2.1, but I liked the picture of my 950G much more. I primarily game on this TV and it's pretty fantastic.

I'm running the H firmware as well, but I couldn't tell you if it helped or didn't. I'm not picky enough to have noticed much difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had my 75X950G side by side with a 85X900H. I wanted to upgrade for the size and HDMI2.1, but I liked the picture of my 950G much more. I primarily game on this TV and it's pretty fantastic.

I'm running the H firmware as well, but I couldn't tell you if it helped or didn't. I'm not picky enough to have noticed much difference.
Absolutely perfect uniformity on any color with my 65XG95. In this regard you will be satisfied if you can still find it out there.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for your responses. I found a Used one in 9 condition( one step below like new/open box return) from B&H for $899 shipped. Or I could go with a refurbished set for $1199 shipped. Leaning towards the refurb purchase for a little extra peace of mind. My 49" x900e was a refurb unit and I've had it for 3 years with basically no issues. Thanks for the advice guys, Ill report back when I receive it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone!
I've bought a 65XG9505, and i've been reading this thread for tips, and advice, on how to get the most out of this fantastic TV.

I started at the middle, around page 170, and a few pages later i started reading for the upgrade of the firmware to a XH9505 version. I haven't done it yet. I am still reading to know if there was any issues with that, and then i noticed that there's already an update for the XH , and not for the XG.
My question is specific, and i don't know if it was already been asked. Sorry for that, but there's almost 50 pages to catch up still.

Is it possible to upgrade directly from the 6.3626 on XG to the 6.4770 of the XH, doing the process on page 181, by user @DannyW75? My doubt is if i need to have the same firmware number on the XG version to be able to upgrade, as it still isn't available.
I have the European version.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did read that post. In fact, it does not clarify anything, since if the setting "2" turns on a feature, then what's the point of having the setting "1"?
1 does simple backlight scanning while 2 does x-motion clarity obviously ? duh ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi everyone!
I've bought a 65XG9505, and i've been reading this thread for tips, and advice, on how to get the most out of this fantastic TV.

I started at the middle, around page 170, and a few pages later i started reading for the upgrade of the firmware to a XH9505 version. I haven't done it yet. I am still reading to know if there was any issues with that, and then i noticed that there's already an update for the XH , and not for the XG.
My question is specific, and i don't know if it was already been asked. Sorry for that, but there's almost 50 pages to catch up still.

Is it possible to upgrade directly from the 6.3626 on XG to the 6.4770 of the XH, doing the process on page 181, by user @DannyW75 ? My doubt is if i need to have the same firmware number on the XG version to be able to upgrade, as it still isn't available.
I have the European version.

Thanks everyone!
I did install 6.4770 "H" firmware on the European XG95 previously running 6.3626 "G" firmware. There is no other way if you want to use official firmware (no other "intermediate" version was ever officially released in Europe).

The firmware is available on the official Sony support site. You should check the 85XH9505 support page. Make sure you are running the update for your specific region, so it's best to go to the Sony support page of your country (as much as I hate to say that). If by some reason it's not there, try the German or the UK page, I think the files are all the same. The file you are looking for is "sony_atvotafull_2018_1604770100_eua_auth.zip" (without quotes obviously).

The install procedure is very simple. Inside that zip file you find another zip file, "sony_dtv0FA70A0BA0AB_00004100_16047701000615.zip". Place that file on an empty USB stick (without extracting its content, just the zip itself!), insert the stick into any USB port on your TV and wait till the process concludes (about 3-10 minutes, why does it differ unit by unit I have no idea). After the update you will have a slightly different menu structure, but if you go to the help page, which will also look different, there it will show the firmware version (somewhere in the corner).

The update runs smoothly, the TV runs well afterwards, but the main problem - infrequent sound issues (for me this is the complete loss of sound through the eARC after middling with some settings; does not happen often so hard to say what is the specific trigger) - has not been solved by this update. People report improved picture quality, I can't say that this is clearly visible. There are rumors of a new update coming soon which will (finger crossed) specifically address this issue. We can only wait and see whether this will actually work out. So it's really up to you, whether to update your TV now or wait for the next firmware.

·
Registered
190 Posts
FYI there's a thread on Reddit where apparently some people that have recently contacted Sony support are being told that there's a new firmware update coming in the next 2 weeks to address audio issues. Will be interesting to see if they are still building on top of the v6.3xxx firmware or if they decide to officially deploy v6.4xxx to the 2018/2019 TVs.
I wouldn't read too much into the firmware numbers. There is an update v6.6555 for other TVs such as AG8, XG9005, etc (overall, lots of models). The filename is sony_dtvota_2016_1606555100_eua_auth.zip. Notice the "2016", which I suppose refers to the SOC generation or something. I guess this is what's most important, not the digit after the decimal point, which comes next. :wink:

6721 - 6740 of 7053 Posts