AVS Forum banner

6741 - 6760 of 7053 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello guys,

I read most of the thread today and in another forum as well and this is because I am a bit frustrated from the behavior of my XG950. I upgraded from Samsung LED 2013 year and of course expected huge improvement which in many terms the 65 inch SONY XG950 delivered but...there is something that ruins the experience for me and I can see some other customers have it. It is related with the motion of the TV, it is sometimes like objects are teleporting...for example if a car moves through the screen I do not see fluid movement but more like the car is moving centimeter then teleports few pixels aside. Same for faces, bricks and other objects which move while camera is centered over something else. It gives me literally a headache. So as I read the topic many questions raised, I already tried things like smoothness max...and when it is 2 the situation is little bit better but I can still see some objects like moving frame by frame. In some movies I can see like the whole picture is moving by frames (HDR, 4K, Netflix).

Anyway seems for many users it is not an issues. Is there any ultimate fix for it? What about the users that experienced this, did they change their tv or with new software/firmware it is fixed?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hello guys,

I read most of the thread today and in another forum as well and this is because I am a bit frustrated from the behavior of my XG950. I upgraded from Samsung LED 2013 year and of course expected huge improvement which in many terms the 65 inch SONY XG950 delivered but...there is something that ruins the experience for me and I can see some other customers have it. It is related with the motion of the TV, it is sometimes like objects are teleporting...for example if a car moves through the screen I do not see fluid movement but more like the car is moving centimeter then teleports few pixels aside. Same for faces, bricks and other objects which move while camera is centered over something else. It gives me literally a headache. So as I read the topic many questions raised, I already tried things like smoothness max...and when it is 2 the situation is little bit better but I can still see some objects like moving frame by frame. In some movies I can see like the whole picture is moving by frames (HDR, 4K, Netflix).

Anyway seems for many users it is not an issues. Is there any ultimate fix for it? What about the users that experienced this, did they change their tv or with new software/firmware it is fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Interesting. FWIW (65" 950G, firmware is now the first H, haven't loaded the latest H firmware) I've only seen motion issues on sources where the issue could be the source material. And the H didn't change that. But I've never seen any motion issues at all for things like a high quality source like a 4K movie on Netflix or Prime (and I'm really sensitive to motion issues and lip sync issues.)

I know that doesn't help at all, just a FWIW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As very fast example - I watched "The tourist" (Netflix, 4K). At the beginning there is a scene with some brick wall on the right side of the screen. With smoothness to min you can easily see the bricks are teleportating frame by frame while the object (I think was Jolie but I watched the bricks...) was moving. Then I tried with smoothness to 1 and 2 and within 2 is better but still visible and frustrating. This is just one example.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As very fast example - I watched "The tourist" (Netflix, 4K). At the beginning there is a scene with some brick wall on the right side of the screen. With smoothness to min you can easily see the bricks are teleportating frame by frame while the object (I think was Jolie but I watched the bricks...) was moving. Then I tried with smoothness to 1 and 2 and within 2 is better but still visible and frustrating. This is just one example.
Frame interpolation is guessing what should happen between the real frames and while it is very good at this it isn't always correct and this can cause the issues that you describe amongst others. Motion smoothing technology, such as Sony's Motionflow, is certainly a personal preference but if you really want to view the movie as intended by the filmmaker then you should turn Motionflow off.

Variety.com - Tom Cruise Explains Why HDTV ‘Motion Smoothing’ Is Terrible, Urges Movie Fans to Disable It

Normally I wouldn't parrot the opinions of Mr. Cruise but this happens to be one that I, and many filmmakers, agree with. Not only are you seeing the movie as intended but you also eliminate any errors that can result in motion artifacting such as you are experiencing.

Motionflow is the devils work and should be left 'Off'. If you want to improve motion resolution then on the X950G (with the original G firmware) you can engage X-Motion Clarity by setting Motionflow to 'Custom', Smoothness to 'Min' and Clearness to '1' - as per Vincent from HDTVTest this is enough to increase motion resolution without incurring motion smoothing. CineMotion should be left on 'Auto' for movies and TV and 'Off' PC use and gaming.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Motionflow is the devils work and should be left 'Off'.
I understand Motionflow may not show the film or tv as created, but for me that's not important. I know it's not for everyone, but I love the look of smooth clear motion that is not blurry or jerky, and Sony with the new 950H firmware does that even better than the original 950G firmware.

It's the same with color accuracy, which doesn't matter to me either. I just love bright vivid colors. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Frame interpolation is guessing what should happen between the real frames and while it is very good at this it isn't always correct and this can cause the issues that you describe amongst others. Motion smoothing technology, such as Sony's Motionflow, is certainly a personal preference but if you really want to view the movie as intended by the filmmaker then you should turn Motionflow off.

Variety.com - Tom Cruise Explains Why HDTV ‘Motion Smoothing’ Is Terrible, Urges Movie Fans to Disable It

Normally I wouldn't parrot the opinions of Mr. Cruise but this happens to be one that I, and many filmmakers, agree with. Not only are you seeing the movie as intended but you also eliminate any errors that can result in motion artifacting such as you are experiencing.

Motionflow is the devils work and should be left 'Off'. If you want to improve motion resolution then on the X950G (with the original G firmware) you can engage X-Motion Clarity by setting Motionflow to 'Custom', Smoothness to 'Min' and Clearness to '1' - as per Vincent from HDTVTest this is enough to increase motion resolution without incurring motion smoothing. CineMotion should be left on 'Auto' for movies and TV and 'Off' PC use and gaming.

What I'm seeing on the 950H thread is the X Motion Clarity only kicks in with the H and G's with the H firmware if BOTH smoothness and clearness is set to "2". Also verified on Rtngs.com

·
Registered
131 Posts
I understand Motionflow may not show the film or tv as created, but for me that's not important. I know it's not for everyone, but I love the look of smooth clear motion that is not blurry or jerky, and Sony with the new 950H firmware does that even better than the original 950G firmware.

It's the same with color accuracy, which doesn't matter to me either. I just love bright vivid colors. :)
If smooth motion and vibrancy is your thing then for you I'd suggest the following;

Picture mode = Custom
Auto picture mode = Disabled
Light sensor = Disabled
Brightness = Adjust to your liking
Gamma = 0
Adv. contrast enhancer = High
Local dimming = High
X-Tended Dynamic Range = High
Color temperature = Warm
Live Color = High
Motionflow = Custom
Smoothness = Max
Clearness = 1
CineMotion = Auto

All other Custom mode settings should be good.

While I cringe at the thought of these settings this will give you that silky smooth unreal motion you are looking for and colours so bright and vibrant that you'll need sunblock when you watch TV.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What I'm seeing on the 950H thread is the X Motion Clarity only kicks in with the H and G's with the H firmware if BOTH smoothness and clearness is set to "2". Also verified on Rtngs.com
My understanding it that once you install the H firmware on the X950G is changes how X-Motion Clarity is engaged so that it acts just like the X950H does. Based on the findings of hrztt in the X950H thread it seems that any TV with the H series firmware requires Smoothness = 2 but you only need Clearness = 1 for X-Motion Clarity.

Here are my latest tests :

X950G - clearness 1 activates x-motion clarity
X950G with H firmware - clearness 1 smoothness 2 activates x-motion clarity :(
X950H - clearness 1 smoothness 2 activates x-motion clarity :(
X900H - clearness 1 smoothness 2 activates x-motion clarity - however smoothness 1 same interpolation but less artefacts than 950 series , 2 is less SOE than 950 series

For me the X950G is the clear winner in motion for 2019 , X900H is the clear winner in motion for 2020

·
Registered
77 Posts
Before retesting x-motion clarity i'll wait for the next firmware update from sony. For now im done with my tests - but keep in mind im running EU firmware is usually lagging behind the US version

·
Registered
443 Posts
My understanding it that once you install the H firmware on the X950G is changes how X-Motion Clarity is engaged so that it acts just like the X950H does. Based on the findings of hrztt in the X950H thread it seems that any TV with the H series firmware requires Smoothness = 2 but you only need Clearness = 1 for X-Motion Clarity.

Yeah, that's what he had posted, but a later post says it appears they both have to be 2; also they quoted Rtngs.com as saying they had modified their review after talking with Sony and they both have to be at 2 to engage the X-Motion Clarity function. Which is a bit baffling to me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Motionflow is the devils work and should be left 'Off'.

As the owner of a technically inclined brain with virtually no artistic ability, I see this more as personal preference because frame grab motion as used for movies doesn't happen anywhere in our natural environment unless you blink real fast! So for the artistic cretins among us (me), sometimes smoother just seems better. I'll try to watch that Tom Cruise clip later today for an alternate view.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Back of tv rattling badly

I have the 85” 950G. We watched A Quiet Place tonight and it has incredible amounts of base energy. I have dual Seaton Submersive HP+ Master and Slave units. This is the first movie we have played with this much base energy. It was making the entire back of the tv housing rattle very loudly. I dialed the subs back 4dB but it still was shaking the tv. I checked it out later and the plastic cover on the back of the tv is so large and has very little in the way of fasteners to hold it snug. Any one else had this issue? Any solutions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

There is progress - CineMotion shouldn't be off in any case when watching TV or movies! This has huge impact over the motion. I also put clearness to 1 and smoothness to 2 although I tried 3 and it is even smoother (100% butter) but because it is "devils work" I decided to leave it 2...for now.

In HDR movies the subtitles gives me headache as when they appear huge area around them glows. In Netflix I made them transparent and seems this helped a bit. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
266 Posts
65x950g Height from floor?

I see so many recommendation and guides placing TV's so high up,

not sure I understand why people want to look up at a big angle to view... especially a 3 hour movie

Can a few share what height they have found most comfortable please..

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
There was a new X950G firmware released for multiple regions this morning.

SONY SUPPORT | X950G - Firmware update to v6.3632

Benefits and Improvements
  • Improves general performance of the TV [North America & Asia Pacific notes]
  • Improves sound loss and sound drops that occurred with HDMI ARC connected devices [Europe notes]
  • In some cases, the display time in the clock display and the display time in the program guide may differ, which has been improved. [Japan notes]
  • Improved the phenomenon that a noise sound is rarely generated while watching Dolby Atmos. [Japan notes]
  • Improved the problem that the sound is interrupted or silent when playing on the sound bar. [Japan notes]
  • Other minor bugs have been fixed. [Japan notes]
North America - X950G
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xg95xx_x95xxg-series/xbr-65x950g/downloads/00016819

Europe - XG9505
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xg95xx_x95xxg-series/kd-65xg9505/downloads/00016823

Hong Kong - X9500G
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xg95xx_x95xxg-series/kd-65x9500g/downloads/00016825

Asia Pacific - X9500G
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xg95xx_x95xxg-series/kd-65x9500g/downloads/00016824

Taiwan - X9500G
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xg95xx_x95xxg-series/kd-65x9500g/downloads/00016826

Japan - X9500G
https://www.sony.jp/bravia/update/usbup20200416.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

There is progress - CineMotion shouldn't be off in any case when watching TV or movies! This has huge impact over the motion. I also put clearness to 1 and smoothness to 2 although I tried 3 and it is even smoother (100% butter) but because it is "devils work" I decided to leave it 2...for now.

In HDR movies the subtitles gives me headache as when they appear huge area around them glows. In Netflix I made them transparent and seems this helped a bit. Any other suggestions?
I changed the color of my subtitles to Cyan and added drop shadow to get rid of subtitle blooming on my Apple TV. I'm sure the you can do this with the internal apps as well. If blooming seems excessive, make sure you are viewing at the proper angle. The wrong angle up or down causes serious blooming and is the source of most blooming complaints you see on this forum and on youtube videos. Once I got the angle right it was a non issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My problem and worry is, if i update my XG FW to the H FW. According to Danny, the internals are exactly the same apart from the upgraded speakers. If they bring out an update for the XH that does soemthing to the speakers, does that mean I am potentially risking bricking the internal speakers at some point?

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
65x950g Height from floor?

I see so many recommendation and guides placing TV's so high up,

not sure I understand why people want to look up at a big angle to view... especially a 3 hour movie

Can a few share what height they have found most comfortable please..

Thank you
Whenever I can, I mount the TV where my eyes will be exactly aligned with the center of the screen while sitting comfortably at the MLP (in fact, you will find this recommendation at the top wall mount manufacturers' websites, FYI).

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Whenever I can, I mount the TV where my eyes will be exactly aligned with the center of the screen while sitting comfortably at the MLP (in fact, you will find this recommendation at the top wall mount manufacturers' websites, FYI).

Agree. This is how I have viewed my TVs. I actually stand them on a cabinet, rather than wall mount so that when I am seated it is perfect.

Reactions: Panson and galonzo

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
I can see why people do this, in my eye's it is to low, puts the TV's right in harms way from People and Pets. I mount TV's 40" from the bottom of the set to the floor or higher. Which in the end is probably about right when "relaxed in your couch" ;) I know when I am chilling, I am not sitting with a 90 degree posture, I am slouched which raises the center of the TV per-say......

6741 - 6760 of 7053 Posts