AVS Forum banner

7201 - 7220 of 7779 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the link! While I would not be so categorical as to say HDMI2.1 is a publicity stunt, I also don't worry about my XG95 not having HDMI2.1 (except for the eARC which is sometimes listed as part of the 2.1 specification).

Nevertheless, this is where technical progress is taking us - more bandwidth. For now, most of that bandwidth is useless (no 8K content, compressed audio, etc.), but consider this - many people here complain about the streaming apps buffering while watching something (your video stops with a rotating circle for a sort while). I had this a lot on my previous TV. Since then I upgraded two things - my TV, adding more processing power, and my internet connection, adding bandwidth. On paper, my bandwidth is useless - it's more that the outdated network card in the TV can deal with. On the other hand, now I'm utilizing this network card fully and have way less buffering (although sometimes is happens as well, just luckily not in the middle of a show but rather before it begins).

Same thing with the cables: buying the 2.1 certified cables resolved some other issues I was having even though on paper it should not matter.

So I would say, don't buy into the hype, but go for as much bandwidth as you can get without spending extra money ;)
I’ll take your word for it ;)

The movies in HDR looked nicer on my X950G vs X900H

That’s the biggest reason I didn’t get the X900H

I like gaming but it’s not a primary concern and I still don’t see much of a difference.

While I’m guessing a true gamer would?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
27,933 Posts
Thanks for the link! While I would not be so categorical as to say HDMI2.1 is a publicity stunt, I also don't worry about my XG95 not having HDMI2.1 (except for the eARC which is sometimes listed as part of the 2.1 specification).
Either way HDMI 2.1 is here to stay.......

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did. Yes, do the factory reset with the buttons in the back of the TV. And when going through the out of the box set up, Disney+ is one of the options of apps to install

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I'm sorry to jump into this conversation so late. I have the 950G with 'H' firmware .4770 and I just sideloaded the Disney+. Google Play allows you to download the APK for Android TV specifically. Took about 2 mins from start to finish. No special tools or anything. Quick switched to 'allow apps from unknown locations' on and installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’ll take your word for it ;)

The movies in HDR looked nicer on my X950G vs X900H

That’s the biggest reason I didn’t get the X900H

I like gaming but it’s not a primary concern and I still don’t see much of a difference.

While I’m guessing a true gamer would?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am twitch response gamer on PC. I can tell you from experience that ONLY during super-fast shooting games e.g. Fortnite, COD etc...does a higher refresh rate matter. Speaking as a 950G owner, not having HDMI 2.1 means nothing. When you said, "While I’m guessing a true gamer would" that is mostly accurate but for most people they won't even notice. Someone else was onto eARC. Works just fine when I have a 4K60 HDR signal and eARC in use on the HDMI 2.0b (current standard I think). Not to worry...I game via console on my TV for fun using non-competitive games and I have never felt like I am missing something.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm sorry to jump into this conversation so late. I have the 950G with 'H' firmware .4770 and I just sideloaded the Disney+. Google Play allows you to download the APK for Android TV specifically. Took about 2 mins from start to finish. No special tools or anything. Quick switched to 'allow apps from unknown locations' on and installed.
So you guys who did the H update....are you applying 950H settings considering its all the same ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
In my case, the "H" firmware didn't do anything to Disney+, I didn't have to sideload anything, it was there before I installed the "H" firmware and it's working after. The latest version v6.4774 did not change that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
So you guys who did the H update....are you applying 950H settings considering its all the same ?
What do you mean by "H" settings? You mean the calibration values such as those posted by @D-Nice in the 950H thread? I tried them and then changed some values for my liking, the exact best values for your particular set can only be found through a professional calibration done on your set.

·
Registered
595 Posts
What do you mean by "H" settings? You mean the calibration values such as those posted by @D-Nice in the 950H thread? I tried them and then changed some values for my liking, the exact best values for your particular set can only be found through a professional calibration done on your set.
I've never paid 2-300.00 to have a < 1000 set calibrated and I am not going to start now. I would rather try random settings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can you list the steps that you did to successfully load Disney+? I'm not an android user (own all IOS devices) so I'm a bit of a newbie and I really do not want to go thru a total reset.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sound issues appear to persist with the new "H" firmware v6.4774. It's the same as before - having watch the cable box and switching to an internal app I lose sound through the eARC. A restart (long press the power button on the remote) solves the issue and this is the first time I experience it since the update (about a month ago), so it's not that big of a deal, however, I wish they would finally fix it, given the reports that the latest "G" firmware doesn't suffer from this problem. Can anyone on the latest "G" firmware (v6.3632) confirm that the eARC sound problems are actually gone?
v6.3632 did not solve the sound issues for me. On v6.4774 its more stable and i lose less sound.
Quick fix: In quick settings switch from soundbar to tv and then back to soundbar.
I still have audio issues, but I noticed this quick fix as recently as yesterday :D
I had very noticeable delay between audio and video on my Apple TV, so I switched to "TV speakers" and back to "Audio system" and that fixed it

·
Registered
595 Posts
Automatic local dimming only works with real content, local dimming is not applied on the loading screens of the different applications. It is normal to see some clouding.
Greetings.
Hmm--well, after doing a factory reset after updating to the H firmware(which I had before but did not do a hard reset) , I don't see ANY clouding now on the Netflix load screen and the TV looks awesome.
Of note, I still do not see Disney as an option on startup, I did link the TV with my google account so maybe that's part of it ? not sure but I guess I will look into sideloading it.

·
Registered
595 Posts

This is how to do a forced factory reset. Disney+ will be in your set up options when you do

this is exactly what I did...
"
  1. Unplug the TV AC power cord from the electrical socket.
  2. Simultaneously press and hold down the
    Power and volume
    Down (-) buttons on the TV (not on the remote), and then (while holding the buttons down) plug the AC power cord back in. Continue to hold the buttons down until the green LED light appears.
    Note: It will take approximately 10-30 seconds for the LED light to turn green.
"

I did tie it to Google account...so maybe that did make a difference...dunno.
of note...I do see a link for Disney on home screen....but when you click it it says it is incompatible

·
Registered
632 Posts
this is exactly what I did...
"
  1. Unplug the TV AC power cord from the electrical socket.
  2. Simultaneously press and hold down the
    Power and volume
    Down (-) buttons on the TV (not on the remote), and then (while holding the buttons down) plug the AC power cord back in. Continue to hold the buttons down until the green LED light appears.
    Note: It will take approximately 10-30 seconds for the LED light to turn green.
"

I did tie it to Google account...so maybe that did make a difference...dunno.
of note...I do see a link for Disney on home screen....but when you click it it says it is incompatible
It should have given the option to install Disney plus during the out of the box set up screen

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm trying to avoid doing a hard reset and side load the Disney+ App. Anybody have easy to follow steps to make this happen,
I'm not sure it's helpful given that you appear to have a problem, but I simply installed Disney+ from the Play Store. The "H" updates up to the last one, v6.4774, did not do anything to it, it works as expected.

7201 - 7220 of 7779 Posts