AVS Forum banner

7261 - 7280 of 7894 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the fact my tv room is no window basement it makes the blooming more noticeable. It seems the LG OLED is better for that room type. I didn't realize how bad the blooming would be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the fact my tv room is no window basement it makes the blooming more noticeable. It seems the LG OLED is better for that room type. I didn't realize how bad the blooming would be.
Have you thought of installing the X950H firmware on your X950G? I'm currently researching this option and believe I read that it reduces the blooming quite a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes...seems to be a lot of info out there on whether it will work with certain versions of firmware that are already on your tv but it worked for me, not sure what I had on there to begin with.
Did it fix any specific issues you were having with the stock G firmware?

Did you have any issue with things not working properly after the H update? I know there was a Disney + issue, but haven't heard much else. Any negatives that you know of or heard of?

I'm having the ARC issue where it's not working all the time (have to restart TV) and hoping updating to the H firmware solves it, but I don't want to "break" anything else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if the eArc sound issues have been fixed with the latest update?

I am still on Android 8 because I’m worried about that. I currently have no sound issues with the onboard apps, but I’d like to use Airplay, which would require the update.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does anyone know if the eArc sound issues have been fixed with the latest update?

I am still on Android 8 because I’m worried about that. I currently have no sound issues with the onboard apps, but I’d like to use Airplay, which would require the update.
No, the latest updates did not solve all of the sound issues, at least not for everyone. These issues appear to manifest themselves differently for different people here (I know, 300+ pages is a lot, but if you look through them you'll find lots of different complaints), also depending on the usage patterns. Personally, I don't care about Airplay, but I do use the apps (Netflix and friends) so if I could, I would go back to Android 8 and stick with the firmware that actually works. People have reported here various picture improvements with the updates, but on my set I am not sure I'm seeing any. The main visible difference is in the user interface (the menus and stuff), and I certainly don't care how they look. So ultimately, it all comes down to your personal preferences. If you care about Airplay and absolutely have to have it, then go for it, but be prepared to experience eARC issues. On the other hand, these are typically resolved with a restart, although some people report that switching sound to the TV and back solves it as well (doesn't work for me though). If you are not bothered too much with restarts, then you might be happy with the update despite eARC. Or you might be lucky, and these issues will be very minor. But then again, you might not.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Did it fix any specific issues you were having with the stock G firmware?

Did you have any issue with things not working properly after the H update? I know there was a Disney + issue, but haven't heard much else. Any negatives that you know of or heard of?

I'm having the ARC issue where it's not working all the time (have to restart TV) and hoping updating to the H firmware solves it, but I don't want to "break" anything else.
I wasn't having issues, I just thought I would try it. No issues outside of Disney which I sideloaded. I use ARC without issue.

·
Registered
620 Posts
No, the latest updates did not solve all of the sound issues, at least not for everyone. These issues appear to manifest themselves differently for different people here (I know, 300+ pages is a lot, but if you look through them you'll find lots of different complaints), also depending on the usage patterns. Personally, I don't care about Airplay, but I do use the apps (Netflix and friends) so if I could, I would go back to Android 8 and stick with the firmware that actually works. People have reported here various picture improvements with the updates, but on my set I am not sure I'm seeing any. The main visible difference is in the user interface (the menus and stuff), and I certainly don't care how they look. So ultimately, it all comes down to your personal preferences. If you care about Airplay and absolutely have to have it, then go for it, but be prepared to experience eARC issues. On the other hand, these are typically resolved with a restart, although some people report that switching sound to the TV and back solves it as well (doesn't work for me though). If you are not bothered too much with restarts, then you might be happy with the update despite eARC. Or you might be lucky, and these issues will be very minor. But then again, you might not.
Do a hard reset(physical buttons) to see PQ differences.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Auto picture mode - Off
Light sensor - Off
Picture mode - Custom
Brightness - Adjust to your liking.
Color temperature - Expert 1
Smoothness - Adjust to your liking.
Leave all other picture mode settings at the factory defaults.

For Dolby Vision content select either the Dolby Vision Dark or Bright preset depending on lighting in your room. Leave all settings at the preset defaults.

Don’t bother with Netflix Calibrated Mode, it isn’t an improvement over the Custom or Dolby Vision presets.

I would run it for a while on the Expert 1 default white balance settings first to see how you like them before trying any 3rd party settings. Then if you want to try tuning the white balance settings try out the RTINGS 10-point settings before venturing down the rabbit hole with D-Nice’s 20-point settings.
I read this "I would run it for a while on the Expert 1 default white balance settings first to see how you like them before trying any 3rd party settings. Then if you want to try tuning the white balance settings try out the RTINGS 10-point settings before venturing down the rabbit hole with D-Nice’s 20-point settings" after I ventured down the rabbit hole and set all 20 point settings as D-Nice indicated.

I noticed though as previously indicated back in the thread a bit that it set the same color gamma adjust point values for all the picture modes. I subsequently decided that I didn't want D-Nice's settings and rather just wanted to go back with custom mode and the associated picture color defaults so then reset all Picture Settings, as well as "Color Temperature settings", back to factory default.

After doing this though I now see all 20 color gamma adjustment point settings (R,G and B offsets) set to 0 for all 20 points. Is this what the default factory values should be? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
After doing this though I now see all 20 color gamma adjustment point settings (R,G and B offsets) set to 0 for all 20 points. Is this what the default factory values should be? Thanks in advance.
Yes, that is correct.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, that is correct.
Thanks unifexx, much appreciated. BTW, I didn't notice that much of a difference when using D-Nice settings on my 65 panel using the stock firmware 6.2550 out of the box so when I saw all the gamma adjustment point settings becoming the same across all the picture modes I figured simpler would be better with plain custom default values.

I also haven't update to the 6.4770 firmware as haven't really had any problems with the stock G 6.2550 firmware. I turned off software updates so don't inadvertently get an automatic G firmware update that would preclude me from going the 6.4770 route at some point if deemed advantageous. At this point though, I'm reluctant to update firmware as not sure if any marginal improvement is worth it versus the risk of introducing new problems like internal apps sound issues when everything is working at this point with earc to my Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. Thoughts in general anyone?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, the factory reset removed the Custom for Pro modes. I couldn't find any way to remove them either and it was a factor in my deciding to do the factory reset after the firmware update.
Why did you feel the need to remove the Custom for Pro modes?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why did you feel the need to remove the Custom for Pro modes?
I decided I wanted to try the RTINGS calibration settings but you can't use 10-point adjustments after enabling the 20-point adjustments. This is the reason I recommend trying the RTINGS calibration settings first, its a lot easier to go from 10-point to 20-point white balance settings than vice versa.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
190 Posts
At this point though, I'm reluctant to update firmware as not sure if any marginal improvement is worth it versus the risk of introducing new problems like internal apps sound issues when everything is working at this point with earc to my Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. Thoughts in general anyone?
This is excellent reasoning and falls nicely under the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
62 Posts
I decided I wanted to try the RTINGS calibration settings but you can't use 10-point adjustments after enabling the 20-point adjustments. This is the reason I recommend trying the RTINGS calibration settings first, its a lot easier to go from 10-point to 20-point white balance settings than vice versa.
Thanks 88keyz for your response. So I'm back to square "two rather than one" with 20-point versus 10-point adjustments at this point. So as long as I stay on Custom with Expert1 picture settings at this point I'll be ok as is or do I have to reset the TV to factory defaults to get rid of the Custom for Pro modes?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks 88keyz for your response. So I'm back to square "two rather than one" with 20-point versus 10-point adjustments at this point. So as long as I stay on Custom with Expert1 picture settings at this point I'll be ok as is or do I have to reset the TV to factory defaults to get rid of the Custom for Pro modes?
If you just want to use it at the Custom preset defaults then you're fine. When at factory defaults the preset defaults for Custom, Custom for Pro 1 and Custom for Pro 2 are all exactly the same and the Expert 1 and Expert 2 colour presets are also exactly the same in all three modes at defaults. It'll only matter if you want to apply a third party 10-point white balance calibration.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks unifexx, much appreciated. BTW, I didn't notice that much of a difference when using D-Nice settings on my 65 panel using the stock firmware 6.2550 out of the box so when I saw all the gamma adjustment point settings becoming the same across all the picture modes I figured simpler would be better with plain custom default values.

I also haven't update to the 6.4770 firmware as haven't really had any problems with the stock G 6.2550 firmware. I turned off software updates so don't inadvertently get an automatic G firmware update that would preclude me from going the 6.4770 route at some point if deemed advantageous. At this point though, I'm reluctant to update firmware as not sure if any marginal improvement is worth it versus the risk of introducing new problems like internal apps sound issues when everything is working at this point with earc to my Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. Thoughts in general anyone?
I've updated but TBH, I got the TV and immediately updated it. I did not have any issues with Arc or really anything to begin with. One thing I do notice is deeper blacks...how much deeper I have no idea because I cant compare them side by side. I'm just using the eyeball test. IMO it is noticeable though because the PQ upgrade doesn't really take place ill you do a hard reset (with the physical buttons). I've yet to find settings I really love.
Still toying with it. Looks really good IMO, but always room for tweaking, because that's how we do here...lol.

7261 - 7280 of 7894 Posts