AVS Forum banner

7281 - 7300 of 7404 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ultimately, picture quality is subjective and depends not only on the TV, but also on the source, including the actual content. As much as I hate the fact, some content is only available on DVDs. Clearly, no matter what you do, a 4K disc will look way better than a DVD. On the other hand, older movies might not be transferred onto 4K properly, depending on how they were originally shot and how much effort the studio is putting into the new edition. So unless we are all using the same super high-quality reference material to discuss picture quality, the discussion remains of low practical value - apart from being fun, of course ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
What makes you think I didn't? I did and I still don't see much improvement.
I was just mentioning it and a lot of people who did it did NOT do a hard reset initially (me included).
I can just tell you after I did the hard reset there was a noticeable difference. The contrast looked deeper, blacks blacker. I thought you may not have noticed a difference for that reason, if you look all over reddit and other places, everyone who does it just about notices a difference. Some on youtube even recorded videos of before and after.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hmm--well, after doing a factory reset after updating to the H firmware(which I had before but did not do a hard reset) , I don't see ANY clouding now on the Netflix load screen and the TV looks awesome.
Of note, I still do not see Disney as an option on startup, I did link the TV with my google account so maybe that's part of it ? not sure but I guess I will look into sideloading it.
Can anyone else confirm this? Netflix loading screen still triggers me after almost a year lol. I'll do a factory reset if it actually fixes this.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I have a new issue. When I hit the "input" button on the remote it no long shows my apps and only shows the inputs. It used to show my apps, and I could change the order that they showed up. I've soft-reset a few times, but the problem persists. Has anyone run into this?

I can access all of the apps by hitting the home button, and they work just fine.

Thanks,

PS technically there are two apps that are available if I edit this inputs list using "+ edit" after hitting the "input" button... one is a shopping app and the other is a Sony app. ... no Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.

Reactions: jefflackey

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have a new issue. When I hit the "input" button on the remote it no long shows my apps and only shows the inputs. It used to show my apps, and I could change the order that they showed up. I've soft-reset a few times, but the problem persists. Has anyone run into this?

I can access all of the apps by hitting the home button, and they work just fine.

Thanks,

PS technically there are two apps that are available if I edit this inputs list using "+ edit" after hitting the "input" button... one is a shopping app and the other is a Sony app. ... no Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.
i have the same issue on X900H, and found a workaround. Installed "Button Mapper" and assigned 6 most used apps to the "TV" and "Google Play" keys. "Apps" key next to the numbers pad works as a direct shortcut as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Can anyone else confirm this? Netflix loading screen still triggers me after almost a year lol. I'll do a factory reset if it actually fixes this.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk
After looking at it a few more times at night in a pitch black room, there is still SOME clouding on that screen. But before the hard reset there was a LOT more. I think its definitely the local dimming being turned off. I could be on a all black scene and if I bring up the setting menu, I see clouding. I turn it off, no clouding. Not sure why they do this, the TV can certainly produce an all black screen with no clouding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone ever had some multi colored banding that occurs only when you first turn on the X950G? I bought the TV back on black friday, so coming up on the year warranty.
I have a somewhat similar issue after installing the X950H firmware on my X950G, almost every time I turn my X950G on I get this video glitch for a split second (shown in the photo). This is been happening for the past 4 months or so.

I contacted customer support and they told me as long as you notify them of the issue before your warranty is up they'll still help you, so you should contact them about it soon. They told me to wait for a firmware update as apparently lots of people are having this issue and Sony is currently working on a new firmware to fix for the issue.

However, they said there is no guarantee the new firmware willl fix the issue, and they haven't gotten word yet on when the firmware update will be ready.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’m having huge audio sync issues, the audio goes in and out sometimes and also the voices don’t match.

It’s happening on all my Bluetooth devices

I have the H firmware. On the X950G

If I unplug the tv, it works for about a half hour... and then goes back to the audio not syncing.

Is there a Fix?

I have looked at the audio sync option on the TV and changed it from auto, to on, and off

It’s happening to the options.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
577 Posts
For anyone that has done the H firmware update. If you do a hard physical reset, and not through the menu settings but rather the physical buttons on the back of the TV, the majority of the issues that people are talking about will be solved! From Disney+ being an app install during the out of the box settings like when you first unboxed your TV, to MUCH better black levels, stronger contrast, better HDR pop, and no sound issues!

It may take a few minutes to do, but it's worth it when you think of the frustrations and concerns that you will no longer have to deal with when it comes to this great TV set. Trust, it is a noticeable difference for the better.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
For anyone that has done the H firmware update. If you do a hard physical reset, and not through the menu settings but rather the physical buttons on the back of the TV, the majority of the issues that people are talking about will be solved! From Disney+ being an app install during the out of the box settings like when you first unboxed your TV, to MUCH better black levels, stronger contrast, better HDR pop, and no sound issues!

It may take a few minutes to do, but it's worth it when you think of the frustrations and concerns that you will no longer have to deal with when it comes to this great TV set. Trust, it is a noticeable difference for the better.

I only see the power and volume buttons on the back of my TV.

How do you do a reset from the back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did the update on mine. Everything looks fine so far, but I can confirm the Disney+ issue. It doesn't even appear in the Play Store for me, which is kind of weird, but whatever. Too soon to really say if it's made a great difference, but I'll post any updates as they come.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys, I can still see 6.3632 version is the current for our G tvs. Since this is my first SONY tv I do not know when to expect next update, is this taking years or they provide new every few months? If they will not provide new firmware soon I am going to H version as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Folks, I have refrained from upgrading from stock 6.2550 firmware since I'm not having any issues with the television as eArc works fine, no noticeable blooming as keep brightness around 10 coming from a Sammy plasma, etc. Motion is ok but not as good as the plasma. Have it configured for smoothness 1 and clearness at 1 with cinemotion on auto as recommended by Rtings. I also used most of the other basic custom Expert1 settings Rtrings recommended. I tried DNices settings and really didn't notice much improvement so reverted back to the custom Expert1, etc. the Rtings gave. I would say I really like the picture in HDR mode, etc. but think watching regular TV and sports is good but not blown away, especially compared to my previous plasma.

BUT the techie side of me reads this forum with so many gloating ot the H firmware improvements on the G and think maybe that would make a difference and maybe I'm missing something by not upgrading while the practical, seen it all before side says "Just Say No". As such, I'm in somewhat of a quandry and curious of perspectives on whether the benefits of upgrading to the H firmware are truly worth it and outweigh the risk of introducing problems that don't exist with the stock Oreo 8.0.0 6.2550 firmware? Appreciate in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also been having minor issues with my set lately. I too don’t have access to D+ app after updating to latest H firmware(not a big deal since I stream from a Shield and never touch the native apps anymore), but in testing I still get audio drops through eARC in those apps. Shield is perfect though.

The real issue I’ve had is that everytime I power on the TV, it takes a few seconds to activate as it reboots Android for whatever reason. Almost everytime I have to wait for the Android refresh to go with the rotating logo and such. Tried a software reset abd that didn’t change anything.

Decided to do the Hard reset with physical power button behind set, which seems to have solved the issue(so far). But D+ still showing as ‘incompatible’ with this set. Bleh.

I may try again as the instructions for hard reset told me to wait a few min for the set to reboot twice on its own before activating and setting up it’s the on-screen guide. Problem is it never activated after the hard reset and after plenty of time passed I powered it on myself and started the process. So maybe something went screwy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Apple TV app supposedly arriving in the coming months, per a 4k blog (in French, therefore following EU market and models) I follow. quoted exactly below.

Sony today announced the availability of the Apple TV application for a selection of its Smart TVs. European customers can now enjoy the Apple TV app from their televisions.
This arrival will provide easy access to Apple TV channels as well as to the video on demand service by Apple TV + subscription.
The app is available on Sony's XH90 series through a software update.
It will launch on select 2018 Sony TV models and most 2019 and 2020 models by the end of the year.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also been having minor issues with my set lately. I too don’t have access to D+ app after updating to latest H firmware(not a big deal since I stream from a Shield and never touch the native apps anymore), but in testing I still get audio drops through eARC in those apps. Shield is perfect though.

The real issue I’ve had is that everytime I power on the TV, it takes a few seconds to activate as it reboots Android for whatever reason. Almost everytime I have to wait for the Android refresh to go with the rotating logo and such. Tried a software reset abd that didn’t change anything.

Decided to do the Hard reset with physical power button behind set, which seems to have solved the issue(so far). But D+ still showing as ‘incompatible’ with this set. Bleh.

I may try again as the instructions for hard reset told me to wait a few min for the set to reboot twice on its own before activating and setting up it’s the on-screen guide. Problem is it never activated after the hard reset and after plenty of time passed I powered it on myself and started the process. So maybe something went screwy.
When I hard reset mine, it did the same thing. Light turned green, I let go of buttons, then green light stayed lit for a few more seconds and when out. It never restarted. Once I manually restarted it, the Welcome screen only appeared once, not twice like Sony said would happen. Things seem fine, so I'm assuming all is OK.

·
Registered
239 Posts

That is not 100% true. In my case, I never had any problem with D+, the blacks and blooming remain unaffected by the updates, I guess, since the issue is actually minor and it's hard to tell, while the sound issues persist. In my case, the sound issue is the complete absence of the sound through eARC after switching inputs (although not every time). Changing the sound to TV speakers and back does not solve this problem (unlike reported by others in this thread), just the restart. This does not happen very often, although I do turn off the TV for the night - and I mean really turn off, I actually unplug it (I have a switch on the surge protector). So effectively the TV is restarting every day, which might be helping with the sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
More Android TV news that may bode well for us, signaling a deeper engineering commitment from Sony to the android tvs OS portion of the TV.

"
Android 9 coming to 2016-2019 Sony Android TVs"

obviously our model already has pie, but wider (more models) and deeper (older models) can only be a good thing for owners of a Sony Android TV.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have the H firmware, just wondering if auto updating will still work when a new H firmware is released, or will i need to manually update from now on

7281 - 7300 of 7404 Posts