AVS Forum banner

7301 - 7320 of 7404 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Also been having minor issues with my set lately. I too don’t have access to D+ app after updating to latest H firmware(not a big deal since I stream from a Shield and never touch the native apps anymore), but in testing I still get audio drops through eARC in those apps. Shield is perfect though.

The real issue I’ve had is that everytime I power on the TV, it takes a few seconds to activate as it reboots Android for whatever reason. Almost everytime I have to wait for the Android refresh to go with the rotating logo and such. Tried a software reset abd that didn’t change anything.

Decided to do the Hard reset with physical power button behind set, which seems to have solved the issue(so far). But D+ still showing as ‘incompatible’ with this set. Bleh.

I may try again as the instructions for hard reset told me to wait a few min for the set to reboot twice on its own before activating and setting up it’s the on-screen guide. Problem is it never activated after the hard reset and after plenty of time passed I powered it on myself and started the process. So maybe something went screwy.
sideload the Disney plus app. It takes all of about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Folks, I have refrained from upgrading from stock 6.2550 firmware since I'm not having any issues with the television as eArc works fine, no noticeable blooming as keep brightness around 10 coming from a Sammy plasma, etc. Motion is ok but not as good as the plasma. Have it configured for smoothness 1 and clearness at 1 with cinemotion on auto as recommended by Rtings. I also used most of the other basic custom Expert1 settings Rtrings recommended. I tried DNices settings and really didn't notice much improvement so reverted back to the custom Expert1, etc. the Rtings gave. I would say I really like the picture in HDR mode, etc. but think watching regular TV and sports is good but not blown away, especially compared to my previous plasma.

BUT the techie side of me reads this forum with so many gloating ot the H firmware improvements on the G and think maybe that would make a difference and maybe I'm missing something by not upgrading while the practical, seen it all before side says "Just Say No". As such, I'm in somewhat of a quandry and curious of perspectives on whether the benefits of upgrading to the H firmware are truly worth it and outweigh the risk of introducing problems that don't exist with the stock Oreo 8.0.0 6.2550 firmware? Appreciate in advance.
The positive is a boost in contrast and black levels, the only thing that didn't work for me after update is the google mic on the remote. Fine by me, I didn't want to use it anyway. Take a before and after video, you will see a difference.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quick question - does anyone know where exactly is the built-in microphone on the XG95? There is on on the remote, but is there another one on the TV itself? Unfortunately, the manual is no longer model-specific, so it's hard to find such information there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The positive is a boost in contrast and black levels, the only thing that didn't work for me after update is the google mic on the remote. Fine by me, I didn't want to use it anyway. Take a before and after video, you will see a difference.
I'm in the same boat and the before and after videos doesn't convinced me as it looks like the lower blooming is achieved by lowering the brightness which make sense as the hardware remains the same after the update no magic here. I have that feeling that I miss something but enjoying problem free TV wins.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm in the same boat and the before and after videos doesn't convinced me as it looks like the lower blooming is achieved by lowering the brightness which make sense as the hardware remains the same after the update no magic here. I have that feeling that I miss something but enjoying problem free TV wins.
How does it look when you are watching HDR or Dolby Vision content though?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I have a new issue. When I hit the "input" button on the remote it no long shows my apps and only shows the inputs. It used to show my apps, and I could change the order that they showed up. I've soft-reset a few times, but the problem persists. Has anyone run into this?

I can access all of the apps by hitting the home button, and they work just fine.

Thanks,

PS technically there are two apps that are available if I edit this inputs list using "+ edit" after hitting the "input" button... one is a shopping app and the other is a Sony app. ... no Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.
i have the same issue on X900H, and found a workaround. Installed "Button Mapper" and assigned 6 most used apps to the "TV" and "Google Play" keys. "Apps" key next to the numbers pad works as a direct shortcut as well.
I really just want it to go back to the way it was. Why would it go away? Mine is the x950G- with H.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I really just want it to go back to the way it was. Why would it go away? Mine is the x950G- with H.
Hitting the Apps key does pretty much the same thing. Actually more convenient if you have lot of favorite apps to navigate since you can rearrange the apps among 4 columns and rows.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Hitting the Apps key does pretty much the same thing. Actually more convenient if you have lot of favorite apps to navigate since you can rearrange the apps among 4 columns and rows.
What "Apps key"? Is that on the remote or do you need to remap something? Did I miss something.
Thx

·
Registered
462 Posts
The "magic" in the update is a different local dimming algorithm. Blooming is less on the 950H, so that same "magic" gets applied to the 950G if you will. Same TV on the inside...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, on motion set to max which is 3, I get severe judder on videos. Has any one got this on their x950g? Here's a video from the YouTube app in the tv. You'll see judder happening twice in the video. It is extremely noticeable.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i have the same issue on X900H, and found a workaround. Installed "Button Mapper" and assigned 6 most used apps to the "TV" and "Google Play" keys. "Apps" key next to the numbers pad works as a direct shortcut as well.
Thanks for this. My wife was very upset that the apps were missing from the Input bar as this was her one button way to get to them. Never occurred to me to try the apps key on the remote: I simply made sure all the apps were there and arranged them in the order she was used to. That was a simple but big help for us - thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
For anyone that has done the H firmware update. If you do a hard physical reset, and not through the menu settings but rather the physical buttons on the back of the TV, the majority of the issues that people are talking about will be solved! From Disney+ being an app install during the out of the box settings like when you first unboxed your TV, to MUCH better black levels, stronger contrast, better HDR pop, and no sound issues!

It may take a few minutes to do, but it's worth it when you think of the frustrations and concerns that you will no longer have to deal with when it comes to this great TV set. Trust, it is a noticeable difference for the better.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Is this different from doing a factory reset from the menus? What are the back of the TV button procedures for doing the hard physical reset, and what would need to be re-set up afterwards?

I have to say, I have a 950H and a 950G, and I did the H firmware update when it first came out you could do it (and have not upgraded the firmware on it since) and I'm in the camp of not seeing a difference. And I am pretty anal retentive about PQ (enough that back when I had Panny plasmas I spent the money on a colorimenter and software and went in to the service menu and did extensive calibrations myself.) In fact I had to look at the menus to make sure I'd actually upgraded the firmware (and honestly I preferred the G menus.)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've seen a flood of people complaining about this on the Sony forums, and it's effecting me also.

On both my 950G with H firmware - never updated since I first installed the H firmware months ago - and my 950H purchased in July, I will occasionally get extremely bad sound drop outs. The sound will drop every few seconds. It starts with the drops further apart then gets worse and worse. It happens on Youtube TV, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc. when it happens. A "power button" reset does not fix it. On Youtube TV once it starts it is consistently bad on both live TV and DVR programs.

I have 1 Gig internet service, I very high end Nighthawk router, my 950H is within two feet of the router (on the other side of a standard wall) and my 950G/H is connected directly via ethernet. It's not internet speed or ping etc. (I check it.)

I had it so bad last night TV was unwatchable. This morning no problem. But it always comes back at some point.

Any clues?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've seen a flood of people complaining about this on the Sony forums, and it's effecting me also.

On both my 950G with H firmware - never updated since I first installed the H firmware months ago - and my 950H purchased in July, I will occasionally get extremely bad sound drop outs. The sound will drop every few seconds. It starts with the drops further apart then gets worse and worse. It happens on Youtube TV, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc. when it happens. A "power button" reset does not fix it. On Youtube TV once it starts it is consistently bad on both live TV and DVR programs.

I have 1 Gig internet service, I very high end Nighthawk router, my 950H is within two feet of the router (on the other side of a standard wall) and my 950G/H is connected directly via ethernet. It's not internet speed or ping etc. (I check it.)

I had it so bad last night TV was unwatchable. This morning no problem. But it always comes back at some point.

Any clues?
This happens using eARC with internal apps and Dolby Digital Plus output set to Dolby Digital Plus?

·
Registered
155 Posts

Any clues?
Try the following settings on the TV(s), these give me a good results with my X950G setup.

Code:
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Sound mode sync (Disable)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > A/V sync (Auto)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > eARC mode (Off)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Digital audio out (Auto 1)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Dolby Digital Plus output (Dolby Digital Plus)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Pass through mode (Off)
Settings > Device Preferences > Sounds > System sounds (Disable)

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try the following settings on the TV(s), these give me a good results with my X950G setup.

Code:
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Sound mode sync (Disable)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > A/V sync (Auto)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > eARC mode (Off)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Digital audio out (Auto 1)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Dolby Digital Plus output (Dolby Digital Plus)
Settings > Display & Sound > Audio output > Pass through mode (Off)
Settings > Device Preferences > Sounds > System sounds (Disable)
I had the sound dropping problem via eARC and DD+ with the original G 6.2550 firmware version my unit came with and made it go away with eARC being turned off as you're indicating above, OR leaving eARC on Auto (my firmware is Auto or Off only) but turning Dolby Digital Plus output to just Dolby Digital. I though wanted to run eARC Auto mode with Dolby Digital Plus.

One thing I tried that I came across on one forum post from some calibrator of 15 years indicated to turn off the RS232 setting as it is set to HDMI port and supposedly causes sound issues? I figured what the heck and did it and the TV went off and restarted as he indicated it would but didn't disrupt any of my settings.

All I can say is not sure this was the solution or just a matter of time before resurfaces but for a week now the TV audio through my system has been working great with eARC Auto along with DD Plus. I don't have the Pass through mode option in my earlier firmware version although surely would be OFF as indicated if I did. Other settings are the same as above.

Also, not sure if would get same or different result with later version of G firmware or running H 6.4770 firmware on G. Curious in general if anyone else has tried this RS232 setting change and their results.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Is this different from doing a factory reset from the menus? What are the back of the TV button procedures for doing the hard physical reset, and what would need to be re-set up afterwards?

I have to say, I have a 950H and a 950G, and I did the H firmware update when it first came out you could do it (and have not upgraded the firmware on it since) and I'm in the camp of not seeing a difference. And I am pretty anal retentive about PQ (enough that back when I had Panny plasmas I spent the money on a colorimenter and software and went in to the service menu and did extensive calibrations myself.) In fact I had to look at the menus to make sure I'd actually upgraded the firmware (and honestly I preferred the G menus.)
Factory reset/Type B towards bottom/other models ..
Once you do the hard reset you will see a difference. I did.

7301 - 7320 of 7404 Posts