AVS Forum banner

7321 - 7340 of 7404 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Its worth upgrading from a x900e to a x950g? There is much difference between the two?
I own both. Yeah, never got rid of my 900e. To answer that question it depends on what you want out of your next TV. With the 950G, you are getting Dolby vision, it gets brighter, has a tad bit more dimming zones, a stronger processor, and is eARC capable.

With that being said though, the x900e still holds it's own and looks fantastic even amongst 2020 released TV sets.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Factory reset/Type B towards bottom/other models ..
Once you do the hard reset you will see a difference. I did.
I will try it though I am skeptical! ;) I know the firmware is operating (you can see the menu changes for that.) And we don't have to do a factory reset for firmware updates to take effect. So I don't understand why a factory reset will made a difference here. HOWEVER - I will try it and go through the hassle of reinstalling all my apps, setting up their logins again, setting up my internet connection again, etc to try it out. Like I said elsewhere, I'm picky enough about PQ I've purchased expensive colorimiters and software and gotten into service menus and done my own detailed calibrations in the past, so if there's a difference I'm sure I'll see it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I assume that eArc and Pass Through have a function/reason for being? What am I giving up when I turn those off?
eARC is for pass through of lossless audio codecs from external devices (ie. a Blu-ray player) connected to the TV's HDMI ports to a soundbar or AVR on HDMI 3. The soundbar or AVR must support eARC for this to work. If you can't connect your external device directly to your soundbar or AVR (this should be preferred) then you should set eARC Mode to Auto. The eARC Mode setting has no affect on the internal apps since they can only use ARC.

Pass through mode is for output/passthrough of DTS audio codecs. When set to off the TV will transcode DTS audio to Dolby Digital Plus. When set to the Auto the TV will output DTS without transcoding but you will have a lot more issues with audio drop outs from internal apps such as Netflix. This is the exact issue that you were describing in your original post.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I will try it though I am skeptical! ;) I know the firmware is operating (you can see the menu changes for that.) And we don't have to do a factory reset for firmware updates to take effect. So I don't understand why a factory reset will made a difference here. HOWEVER - I will try it and go through the hassle of reinstalling all my apps, setting up their logins again, setting up my internet connection again, etc to try it out. Like I said elsewhere, I'm picky enough about PQ I've purchased expensive colorimiters and software and gotten into service menus and done my own detailed calibrations in the past, so if there's a difference I'm sure I'll see it.
Many people have said to do this if you read around. I can tell you from personal experience it definitely does make a difference. (how much difference I would imagine varies by person/panel.) Take some before and after videos if you like as proof of concept.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The eARC Mode setting has no affect on the internal apps since they can only use ARC.
88keyz, so eARC has no effect on internal apps but with it on "Auto and DD+" my internal apps were consistently dropping audio through my Yamaha TSR-7850. When I turned eARC off as you indicated earlier or if I left eARC on Auto and changed audio out to only Dolby Digital they worked fine with no audio drops.

Now though after changing the RS232 setting to Off that some calibrator recommended the internal apps are working fine now with both eARC on Auto and DD+. Any perspective on this?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hmmm. I'll change that RSC 232 setting and see what happens.

Last night I had eArc off. passthrough off, and setting at Dolby Digital instead of DD+.. We were binging a series DVRed on YTTV, everything was fine (which has always confused me, it can work fine on the same show on the same streaming service for hours then the dropouts start, and once they start they don't stop until the next day.) I was so frustrated. I was looking at what else I could change, and just tried turning the A/V sync off (not the sound mode sync) because nothing else was working - and it worked. The intermittent drop outs stopped immediately. I've never seen anyone suggest that.

Today I'll try having everything back on (eArc, DD+, Pass Through, AV sync) after turning off the RSC 232. I never have the problem until evenings after watching something for a while so we'll see.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok how the heck are you guys getting sound out of the set if you disable earc in the settings? I have my x3700h connected to my set via arc hdmi but if I disable it, there's no sound. There are recommendations to disable earc to fix the dropping audio problem but this drops the whole sound :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ok how the heck are you guys getting sound out of the set if you disable earc in the settings? I have my x3700h connected to my set via arc hdmi but if I disable it, there's no sound. There are recommendations to disable earc to fix the dropping audio problem but this drops the whole sound :)
Also what some are recommending is to turn off audio passthrough, which would turn off DTS passthrough.... which I'm thinking would be problematic if you have a UHD player hooked into the TV and you are playing a DTS:X blu-ray. Going to get new HDMI cables and seeing if that will hopefully negate that process.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hmmm. I'll change that RSC 232 setting and see what happens.

Last night I had eArc off. passthrough off, and setting at Dolby Digital instead of DD+.. We were binging a series DVRed on YTTV, everything was fine (which has always confused me, it can work fine on the same show on the same streaming service for hours then the dropouts start, and once they start they don't stop until the next day.) I was so frustrated. I was looking at what else I could change, and just tried turning the A/V sync off (not the sound mode sync) because nothing else was working - and it worked. The intermittent drop outs stopped immediately. I've never seen anyone suggest that.

Today I'll try having everything back on (eArc, DD+, Pass Through, AV sync) after turning off the RSC 232. I never have the problem until evenings after watching something for a while so we'll see.
Did you try the hard reset with the physical buttons ?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also what some are recommending is to turn off audio passthrough, which would turn off DTS passthrough.... which I'm thinking would be problematic if you have a UHD player hooked into the TV and you are playing a DTS:X blu-ray. Going to get new HDMI cables and seeing if that will hopefully negate that process.

There's a "solution" mentioned here to turn off earc. I have passthrough turned off but if I disable earc I don't get any sound to my avr from my cable watching or internal apps. So in what case would someone turn earc off? When using optical connection?

·
Registered
577 Posts
There's a "solution" mentioned here to turn off earc. I have passthrough turned off but if I disable earc I don't get any sound to my avr from my cable watching or internal apps. So in what case would someone turn earc off? When using optical connection?
I wouldn't turn earc off at all. That's primarily one of the reasons I even purchased this set....for it's eARC capability.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That confuses me. I have an LG higher end ATMOS sound bar system connected to my 950H via the eARC HDMI in and a Bose 700 connected to my 950G/H via the eArc HDMI in. On both I can turn off the eARC mode in the TV settings and it has no effect on being able to use the sound bar. Are you turning off that HDMI input? Just use the eArc option in the Sound settings in the TV settings.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did you try the hard reset with the physical buttons ?
Not yet, Will do it later today. When I have the energy to reset all my settings, LOL! BTW - never heard what the difference is between doing the factory reset with the buttons vs. using the Factor Reset option in the settings menu?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Besides external bluray players, etc. hooked through TV or AVR taking advantage of eARC, I thought I read somewhere that internal apps would also take advantage of it at some point? As such, I wanted eARC on AUTO along with DD+ which is why I looked for a solution beyond turning either one off. As for A/V sync off, I did subsequently turn this off several days after I did the RS232C setting just because someone indicated it too could contribute to audio problems in general but never paid much mind as everything was still working for me in my specific case after the RS232C change.

Whether any of this has anything to do with a true solution is a matter of time as have heard some folks say their audio issues would go away for a while and then return which is why I'm not 100% sure of anything at this point. My factory firmware G Oreo 8.0.0 based 6.2550 that I never updated is another unique factor compared to others who have updated with the latest G 6.3632 or H 6.4770.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Besides external bluray players, etc. hooked through TV or AVR taking advantage of eARC, I thought I read somewhere that internal apps would also take advantage of it at some point? As such, I wanted eARC on AUTO along with DD+ which is why I looked for a solution beyond turning either one off. As for A/V sync off, I did subsequently turn this off several days after I did the RS232C setting just because someone indicated it too could contribute to audio problems in general but never paid much mind as everything was still working for me in my specific case after the RS232C change.

Whether any of this has anything to do with a true solution is a matter of time as have heard some folks say their audio issues would go away for a while and then return which is why I'm not 100% sure of anything at this point. My factory firmware G Oreo 8.0.0 based 6.2550 that I never updated is another unique factor compared to others who have updated with the latest G 6.3632 or H 6.4770.
I would assume that you would need so for apps that support DV and Atmos that you would need eARC.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That confuses me. I have an LG higher end ATMOS sound bar system connected to my 950H via the eARC HDMI in and a Bose 700 connected to my 950G/H via the eArc HDMI in. On both I can turn off the eARC mode in the TV settings and it has no effect on being able to use the sound bar. Are you turning off that HDMI input? Just use the eArc option in the Sound settings in the TV settings.
It's pretty simple, I have my avr connected from its earc port to my tv's earc port via hdmi. Avr is set to use earc. If I turn off earc on my tv set I lose all sound from cable watching and internal apps. That's that :) If it's on auto I get everything properly, atmos, dd+ etc. No dropouts on my end but I just tried what turning earc off actually does. It disables sound completely with me.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Yeah, I have the problem on a 950G/H that I've never updated the firmware on since I first put the H firmware on it months ago, and the same problem on a 950H I purchased in July that is set to autoupdate, so I don't think it's tied to a specific firmware version.

And from a problem solving point of view it is also confusing because it comes and goes. Even while watching the same show on the same streaming service.

7321 - 7340 of 7404 Posts