AVS Forum banner

7341 - 7360 of 7406 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
It's pretty simple, I have my avr connected from its earc port to my tv's earc port via hdmi. Avr is set to use earc. If I turn off earc on my tv set I lose all sound from cable watching and internal apps. That's that :)
Huh. My high end surround/ATMOS sound bars (Bose and LG) are connected via eARC to the eARC HDMI in, but when I turn off eARC in the TV settings they still keep working.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's really weird 😁 oh well doesn't even matter in my case since it's working without problems with earc to auto. I get all sound modes from in-built apps properly and without dropouts.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not yet, Will do it later today. When I have the energy to reset all my settings, LOL! BTW - never heard what the difference is between doing the factory reset with the buttons vs. using the Factor Reset option in the settings menu?
From what I understand, doing a standard firmware upgrade to the H firmware gets you the H menu's but thats it. It does not reset the TV's local dimming algorithm, to do that you need to do a hard (physical button) reset.

·
Registered
491 Posts
From what I understand, doing a standard firmware upgrade to the H firmware gets you the H menu's but thats it. It does not reset the TV's local dimming algorithm, to do that you need to do a hard (physical button) reset.
OK. I'll try it. But again, what's the difference between doing the reset with the buttons vs. the menu "Factory Reset" option?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most likely nothing. I don't believe the menu selected reset differs from hardware buttons reset.

Edit: from Sony website:

This article can be used to perform a forced Factory data reset in situations when you can't perform a normal factory data reset, such as:

• when the software crashes after a firmware update.
  • when the screen of the normal factory data reset doesn't open for some reason
If you can access the TV menu, perform a factory data reset instead.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also from my experience when I did a "menu" reset after updating to the H firmware, the motion was indeed different and subtle changes to the local dimming were also observed. So if you ask me, the regular reset works just as the reset using hardware buttons and I wouldn't expect the ld to improve further using the hardware buttons reset.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, I have the problem on a 950G/H that I've never updated the firmware on since I first put the H firmware on it months ago, and the same problem on a 950H I purchased in July that is set to autoupdate, so I don't think it's tied to a specific firmware version.

And from a problem solving point of view it is also confusing because it comes and goes. Even while watching the same show on the same streaming service.
My x950g is still on Oreo 8.0.0 with the original 6.2550 firmware it came with and sounds as though both of your TVs are on Android Pie with H firmware? The Android Pie version is also something that I've heard a lot of folks indicate their problems mainly began with and that some who never updated the original G firmware had few or no audio issues. A number of variables in all the different configuration cases so I take in and filter the best I can in my particular scenario but not really sure of anything yet as only time will tell so guess it's just worth trying like you're doing and seeing/hopefully hearing positive results (lol).

·
Registered
491 Posts
My x950g is still on Oreo 8.0.0 with the original 6.2550 firmware it came with and sounds as though both of your TVs are on Android Pie with H firmware? The Android Pie version is also something that I've heard a lot of folks indicate their problems mainly began with and that some who never updated the original G firmware had few or no audio issues. A number of variables in all the different configuration cases so I take in and filter the best I can in my particular scenario but not really sure of anything yet as only time will tell so guess it's just worth trying like you're doing and seeing/hopefully hearing positive results (lol).
I have a hard time knowing what version my TVs are on. The 950H in the den should be on the latest H firmware since it's on auto-update so it should be up to date. The 950G/H is on manual updates and I haven't updated it since we first started talking about the ability to add the H firmware months ago. So they should be on different updates.

I don't know how to translate it but my About on my 950G/H says: Android security patch level December 1, 2019 - Kernel Version 4.19.12 #1 Fri Feb 14 00:34:42 JST 2020 Build Bravia _UR2_4K_UC-user 9 :pTT1-190515,001.S57 647381 release-keys. No idea how to iinterpret what firmware version that is, LOL!

·
Registered
491 Posts
1. Did the factory reset. I don't see obvious differences, so I'll hook up a meter and see if I can measure significant differences in contrast, etc.

2. On my 950H this afternoon, watching the NFL on CBS, everything was fine, then the audio dropouts started. As usual, they got closer and closer together. I ran the experiment of leaving eARC on, A/V sync on, DD+ on, and Passthrough on. To isolate the effect of just turning the RS232 off. Which I did, and the dropouts immediately stopped, and stayed off for the next hour or two (just moved into another room so didn't check for longer.)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have a hard time knowing what version my TVs are on. The 950H in the den should be on the latest H firmware since it's on auto-update so it should be up to date. The 950G/H is on manual updates and I haven't updated it since we first started talking about the ability to add the H firmware months ago. So they should be on different updates.

I don't know how to translate it but my About on my 950G/H says: Android security patch level December 1, 2019 - Kernel Version 4.19.12 #1 Fri Feb 14 00:34:42 JST 2020 Build Bravia _UR2_4K_UC-user 9 :pTT1-190515,001.S57 647381 release-keys. No idea how to iinterpret what firmware version that is, LOL!
Hit the HELP button on your remote. The currently running software version will display in the upper right-hand corner of the screen under the model designation.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
It's the button right of "0" on the numbers part of the remote.
Ahhh.... never thought to look there.

While that helps, I still prefer the way it used to do it. Am I the only one that can't see their favorite apps using the input button anymore? It went away and I don't think it's from a firmware update.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I've seen a flood of people complaining about this on the Sony forums, and it's effecting me also.

On both my 950G with H firmware - never updated since I first installed the H firmware months ago - and my 950H purchased in July, I will occasionally get extremely bad sound drop outs. The sound will drop every few seconds. It starts with the drops further apart then gets worse and worse. It happens on Youtube TV, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc. when it happens. A "power button" reset does not fix it. On Youtube TV once it starts it is consistently bad on both live TV and DVR programs.

I have 1 Gig internet service, I very high end Nighthawk router, my 950H is within two feet of the router (on the other side of a standard wall) and my 950G/H is connected directly via ethernet. It's not internet speed or ping etc. (I check it.)

I had it so bad last night TV was unwatchable. This morning no problem. But it always comes back at some point.

Any clues?
This happens using eARC with internal apps and Dolby Digital Plus output set to Dolby Digital Plus?
I had the sound dropping problem via eARC and DD+ with the original G 6.2550 firmware version my unit came with and made it go away with eARC being turned off as you're indicating above, OR leaving eARC on Auto (my firmware is Auto or Off only) but turning Dolby Digital Plus output to just Dolby Digital. I though wanted to run eARC Auto mode with Dolby Digital Plus.

One thing I tried that I came across on one forum post from some calibrator of 15 years indicated to turn off the RS232 setting as it is set to HDMI port and supposedly causes sound issues? I figured what the heck and did it and the TV went off and restarted as he indicated it would but didn't disrupt any of my settings.

All I can say is not sure this was the solution or just a matter of time before resurfaces but for a week now the TV audio through my system has been working great with eARC Auto along with DD Plus. I don't have the Pass through mode option in my earlier firmware version although surely would be OFF as indicated if I did. Other settings are the same as above.

Also, not sure if would get same or different result with later version of G firmware or running H 6.4770 firmware on G. Curious in general if anyone else has tried this RS232 setting change and their results.
I'd like to hear more about the RS232 setting, and if it really works. My "solution" to the eARC problem was to turn of DD+. I still sometimes have issues when I go from TV (via my receiver) to apps, but have not had any dropouts. By the way, when I lose the sound from apps or even just the menu sounds, I switch momentarily back to the TV speakers, and then again back to the receiver using the TV's menu.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Huh. My high end surround/ATMOS sound bars (Bose and LG) are connected via eARC to the eARC HDMI in, but when I turn off eARC in the TV settings they still keep working.
That's really weird 😁 oh well doesn't even matter in my case since it's working without problems with earc to auto. I get all sound modes from in-built apps properly and without dropouts.

@jefflackey How is your soundbar hooked up and what sources are you listen to?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ahhh.... never thought to look there.

While that helps, I still prefer the way it used to do it. Am I the only one that can't see their favorite apps using the input button anymore? It went away and I don't think it's from a firmware update.

Thanks,
No a lot of people have reported this. I had the apps disappear from my Input options a couple of weeks or so ago, on a 950G/H that hasn't had a firmware update in months,and a 950H that is set to auto update.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Right now my Bose 700 and my LG ln11 whatever ATMOS sound bar are each connected to the TV via HDMI 3 (the eARC HDMI.) I do not currently have a Bluray player. When I'm trying out my Shield TV and new Chromecast with Google TV, I connect those to the TV via HDMI 1. My PS4 is connected to the TV via HDMI 2.

·
Registered
463 Posts
1. Did the factory reset. I don't see obvious differences, so I'll hook up a meter and see if I can measure significant differences in contrast, etc.

2. On my 950H this afternoon, watching the NFL on CBS, everything was fine, then the audio dropouts started. As usual, they got closer and closer together. I ran the experiment of leaving eARC on, A/V sync on, DD+ on, and Passthrough on. To isolate the effect of just turning the RS232 off. Which I did, and the dropouts immediately stopped, and stayed off for the next hour or two (just moved into another room so didn't check for longer.)
Did you do any before/after measurements on your 950G after you did the hard reset ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, need some advice. On my few months old x950g sound is going out of sync. I have an Xfinity 4K cable box hooked up to hdmi 4with an optical cable to receiver. This started a week ago. Tried all I could think of and nothing. Updated to the second H firmware version as I had already did the first when I got the tv. Did the hard reset and all was fine for a few days and the problem has returned. Tried a different hdmi port with same result. I can change channels or turn off and on and it will be fine for a few moments and then the problem returns. I have an android box on hdmi 2 and it works fine. I am stumped! Could it be the cable box itself?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey guys, need some advice. On my few months old x950g sound is going out of sync. I have an Xfinity 4K cable box hooked up to hdmi 4with an optical cable to receiver. This started a week ago. Tried all I could think of and nothing. Updated to the second H firmware version as I had already did the first when I got the tv. Did the hard reset and all was fine for a few days and the problem has returned. Tried a different hdmi port with same result. I can change channels or turn off and on and it will be fine for a few moments and then the problem returns. I have an android box on hdmi 2 and it works fine. I am stumped! Could it be the cable box itself?
I think if the sync issue goes away using an android box or something like a CC or Shield TV or an app like youtube TV or Netflix, it is clearly an issue with the cable box. I'd try a different HDMI (you've probably tried that) or something as mundane as trying a higher spec HDMI cable (you don't need to spend a lot.)

Does the cable box have a sound sync option? Are you HDMI inputs set to "Enhanced?"

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not yet. I will say that just visually I don't see a significant difference.
Interesting...I did but I am just going by the eyeball test.
I am curious....being you have a 950G and 950H--when you load up Netflix, does the load screen have some clouding or is it solid black ? it looks to me like local dimming goes off during that for some reason.

7341 - 7360 of 7406 Posts