AVS Forum banner

7361 - 7380 of 7785 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think if the sync issue goes away using an android box or something like a CC or Shield TV or an app like youtube TV or Netflix, it is clearly an issue with the cable box. I'd try a different HDMI (you've probably tried that) or something as mundane as trying a higher spec HDMI cable (you don't need to spend a lot.)

Does the cable box have a sound sync option? Are you HDMI inputs set to "Enhanced?"
Thanks for the reply. New cable and tried different hdmi ports.. Just remembered, the android is plugged directly into receiver. Guess we need to take that out of the equation. The reason I'm using optical is I have an older spec receiver. No sound sync option that I can find on the cable box, but even if there were, what would account for it being in sync at start-up? When I get home I will try one the onboard apps and see what happens. I didn't think of that. Will let you know, thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
So what are the latest firmwares of each version? (G/H) I see people with the G model talk about still being on 8.0 Oreo but my KD-55XG9505 is on 9.0 Pie v6.3632 as listed here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/..._x95xxg-series/kd-55xg9505/downloads/00016823
Latest G firmware in US is the v6.3632 running on Pie. I got my G TV 3 or so weeks ago and it came shipped with Oreo 8.0.0 on v6.2550 and I immediately turned off auto updates so could determine what I wanted to do. I decided to remain at that firmware version for now since no issues and will decide in time if want to proceed, if at all, with G or H firmware upgrade. Latest H firmware in US is v6.4770 and think in some other parts of world there is a v6.4774 version.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was not - apparently my colorimeter has died on me. But if there is a difference, it's not very significant to my eye.
Thanks, guess I'll stay on original G firmware that was factory installed for now until we see what happens with future H/G updates, etc. BTW, how's your audio since the RS232C change? Mine is still trucking along.

·
Registered
517 Posts
So far so good on the sound. The official Sony forums (which have no responses I can see in any threads from anyone from Sony) have a thread on the dropouts and some have had success with it, others not so much. For me, no dropouts since I made the change - if that continues for another week, I'll declare success.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the sound dropping problem via eARC and DD+ with the original G 6.2550 firmware version my unit came with and made it go away with eARC being turned off as you're indicating above, OR leaving eARC on Auto (my firmware is Auto or Off only) but turning Dolby Digital Plus output to just Dolby Digital. I though wanted to run eARC Auto mode with Dolby Digital Plus.

One thing I tried that I came across on one forum post from some calibrator of 15 years indicated to turn off the RS232 setting as it is set to HDMI port and supposedly causes sound issues? I figured what the heck and did it and the TV went off and restarted as he indicated it would but didn't disrupt any of my settings.

All I can say is not sure this was the solution or just a matter of time before resurfaces but for a week now the TV audio through my system has been working great with eARC Auto along with DD Plus. I don't have the Pass through mode option in my earlier firmware version although surely would be OFF as indicated if I did. Other settings are the same as above.

Also, not sure if would get same or different result with later version of G firmware or running H 6.4770 firmware on G. Curious in general if anyone else has tried this RS232 setting change and their results.
My X950G is on firmware 4758. Passthrough is on for my PS4. I used to have audio dropouts in Netflix, sometimes even during regular tv. After disabling that RS232 setting I haven‘t experienced any dropouts so far. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Edit: Btw eArc is on Auto and AV Sync is off. My X950G came preinstalled with that 6.4758 firmware out of the box. It‘s not available on the Sony Support page, which is weird. But there have been other people as well who have the same firmware out of the box.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My X950G is on firmware 4758. Passthrough is on for my PS4. I used to have audio dropouts in Netflix, sometimes even during regular tv. After disabling that RS232 setting I haven‘t experienced any dropouts so far. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Edit: Btw eArc is on Auto and AV Sync is off. My X950G came preinstalled with that 6.4758 firmware out of the box. It‘s not available on the Sony Support page, which is weird. But there have been other people as well who have the same firmware out of the box.
Interesting. The latest G firmware available on sony.de (seeing that you are from Germany) is v6.3632, while the latest H firmware is v6.4774. When did you get your unit? Do you know when was it made?

·
Registered
57 Posts
So far so good on the sound. The official Sony forums (which have no responses I can see in any threads from anyone from Sony) have a thread on the dropouts and some have had success with it, others not so much. For me, no dropouts since I made the change - if that continues for another week, I'll declare success.
So the official Sony forums specifically mention the RS232C change and some folks have reported success and others not so much? I haven't done that much searching but only found the one reference to it via some search and only one comment which I found strange.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For those who have updated their G with the H.64770 firmware have you truly noticed any motion improvements? I came from a Samsung plasma and motion on my 65" G with stock 6.2550 firmware is ok but clearly could use some improvement in my eyes.

·
Registered
597 Posts
For those who have updated their G with the H.64770 firmware have you truly noticed any motion improvements? I came from a Samsung plasma and motion on my 65" G with stock 6.2550 firmware is ok but clearly could use some improvement in my eyes.
Hard to measure something like this, but if motion is better on the 950H one would think updating to its software on the G would make it better also. I have zero issues with motion on my G>>H.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hard to measure something like this, but if motion is better on the 950H one would think updating to its software on the G would make it better also. I have zero issues with motion on my G>>H.
Has it been said that motion is better on the H versus the G TVs in general? As for those who have updated G with H.64770, I have heard anecdotal comments as such but curious from those here whether they have truly noticed a difference from what it was prior with G firmware?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Latest G firmware in US is the v6.3632 running on Pie. I got my G TV 3 or so weeks ago and it came shipped with Oreo 8.0.0 on v6.2550 and I immediately turned off auto updates so could determine what I wanted to do. I decided to remain at that firmware version for now since no issues and will decide in time if want to proceed, if at all, with G or H firmware upgrade. Latest H firmware in US is v6.4770 and think in some other parts of world there is a v6.4774 version.
That's exactly what I did when I got mine in February and I couldn't be happier reading about all those sound problems.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Has it been said that motion is better on the H versus the G TVs in general? As for those who have updated G with H.64770, I have heard anecdotal comments as such but curious from those here whether they have truly noticed a difference from what it was prior with G firmware?
Seems to be a tossup on Rtings.
General consensus on the net is the 950H makes everything better as the 950H is better than the 950G.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Their conclusion:

"Overall, the Sony X950H is a little bit better than its predecessor, the Sony X950G. They have near-identical features and perform similarly when it comes to motion handling, but the X950H has a better color gamut, significantly better reflection handling, and its local dimming is also improved. That said, the X950G gets brighter and it's more color accurate out of the box. Black and gray uniformity are better on the X950H, although it could be due to manufacturing tolerances."

I kind of agree with RTings.com. I had a 65" 950G and a 65" 950H at the same time (still do) and like the Rtings article said, out of the box color accuracy (which I am extremely picky about) using the Custom defaults was a little better on the G. Reflection handling is not an issue for my setups. Local dimming may have been a touch better on the 950H. Motion handling about the same. It really was hard to see much difference between the two. I did update my G to the H firmware and I really don't see a big difference.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Their conclusion:

"Overall, the Sony X950H is a little bit better than its predecessor, the Sony X950G. They have near-identical features and perform similarly when it comes to motion handling, but the X950H has a better color gamut, significantly better reflection handling, and its local dimming is also improved. That said, the X950G gets brighter and it's more color accurate out of the box. Black and gray uniformity are better on the X950H, although it could be due to manufacturing tolerances."

I kind of agree with RTings.com. I had a 65" 950G and a 65" 950H at the same time (still do) and like the Rtings article said, out of the box color accuracy (which I am extremely picky about) using the Custom defaults was a little better on the G. Reflection handling is not an issue for my setups. Local dimming may have been a touch better on the 950H. Motion handling about the same. It really was hard to see much difference between the two. I did update my G to the H firmware and I really don't see a big difference.
I don't own both so its hard for me to say, I did notice everything was darker though after update(in a good way).
Both sets IMO are bright as the sun.
Another thing is, the 950H has the wide angle coating on it which reduces contrast.
The 950G does not, so technically, if they are both running the same firmware the black
level/contrast should be better on the 950G with 950H firmware.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I don't own both so its hard for me to say, I did notice everything was darker though after update(in a good way).
Both sets IMO are bright as the sun.
Another thing is, the 950H has the wide angle coating on it which reduces contrast.
The 950G does not, so technically, if they are both running the same firmware the black
level/contrast should be better on the 950G with 950H firmware.
I also noticed black levels were improved post update, better than what it was out the box.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

7361 - 7380 of 7785 Posts