AVS Forum banner

7401 - 7420 of 7733 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
After 4 months with this TV I have list of issues which I already live with but I hope some new firmware might solve:
1. Motion blur (When I play FIFA and the ball is kicked in a distance I see this blur from the players over the pitch)
2. Motion (Partially solved by smoothness - 2, clearness - 1 and cinemotion - auto)
3. Blooming (very noticeable once you are not right in front of the TV, no fix for this...I got tired to make tests and I try to carry on with it)
4. One last weird thing...when I watchhuman faces for example it is like something is glowing behind them...like there is a projector or something. I can not describe it. Have you ever noticed? I believe this is it:

Is local dimming suppose to fix it?
Game mode is activated right?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
589 Posts
-So you did the hold up on remote/power button on TV hard reset? Or did you do the hold down power button soft reset?

-I do have a problem with every TV currently on the market as I’ve always had with sample-and-hold displays. They’re measurably inferior to impulse-based displays. Subjectively, some believe that the combination of faster panels and improved BFI/interpolation algorithms has closed the gap. I am not in this camp.

-Most people buy a cheap TV or the brightest one on the wall, take it home, and run it in out-of-box settings.
If you check back on my posts...you will see a link to a document on Sony website to do physical hard reset. it is not the same as using anything in the GUI.

1) Interesting. That's unfortunate you have that motion issue.
I still do love my older plasma and will watch it till it dies. I use it now as a home gym TV for Peloton/Beach Body/etc. Its only 42 inch, but watching it is just very easy on the eyes. Smooth.

2)That is probably true about your average Joe, but that isn't anyone on AVS :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes. The game mode makes the picture kind a grainy but I can live with that. Also I have old PS4 with 1080p, PS5 will be a bit better I guess.

·
Registered
555 Posts
it is not the same as using anything in the GUI.
Well aware. Just did the volume down/power reset this morning because I honestly don’t remember if I did anything more than a soft cycle after updating the firmware. (and what a PIA it was on a 85” TV with my power conditioners buried in my cabinet — a drafting triangle keeping the buttons pressed while I unplugged from the back got the job done)

Plugged my settings back in and... no difference in motion or blooming. Re-tested various motionflow/local dimming/XDR settings and no change from what I experienced before.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well aware. Just did the volume down/power reset this morning because I honestly don’t remember if I did anything more than a soft cycle after updating the firmware. (and what a PIA it was on a 85” TV with my power conditioners buried in my cabinet — a drafting triangle keeping the buttons pressed while I unplugged from the back got the job done)

Plugged my settings back in and... no difference in motion or blooming. Re-tested various motionflow/local dimming/XDR settings and no change from what I experienced before.
Interesting. Hard to measure these things without side by side or a meter...you know ?
Mine looked deeper/darker with noticeably less blooming. Motion I never had an issue with so if it was made better/worse I wouldn't notice. Sony in general is known to have the best motion handling in the business. No complaints here on that front.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello fellow plasma appreciator and 950G owner.

To cut through any bull, a modern sample-and-hold television cannot match the effortless/natural motion handling of a plasma. Period. Thanks to their impulse/subfield driving methodology, plasmas were effectively refreshing 600 times per second. Modern LCD/LED/OLED televisions can’t touch that no matter what gimmickry they use. (BFI/scan/interpolation/etc) You’re either dealing with blur due to low motion resolution, stutter due to high frame hold, or artifacts/SOE due to interpolation. The only way to level the playing field is to watch nothing but 120fps content, but that’s not happening. Motion handling remains one of my highest priorities when it comes to PQ and, as such, my plasmas remain the displays I watch the most in my home. They have an overall better picture than the CX I returned and a better picture than the 85” 950G I have in my media room. (running 220v and tracking down a large screen commercial plasma is just a bridge too far)

But I’ll give you some advice on your motion concerns. First thing to know is that Sony TVs do not have ideal settings that handle both 60fps and sub-60fps (ex 24p) content. You’re ideally going to want to set up two profiles that are identical save for the motion settings. The best way to do this is to unlock your custom for pro 1 and custom for pro 2 calibration profiles. To do this, download the Calman for Bravia app on your TV via the Play store. Launch it and make sure you have a PC/tablet/phone on the exact same network as your 950G. (ex. have them both connected via your 2.4ghz WiFi band) Bring up your browser of choice on your device and type in the address with port number exactly as it appears on your TV. (ex. http://192.168.1.71:9022/) Once your TV displays its status as “connected” you’re done and these profiles will be available for use on all inputs. (they measure identically to the Custom profile — you can also use Cinema as your secondary to Custom as that also measures very close with all settings equal)

My “primary” profile that I use with most content has Motionflow set to custom with smoothness at min and clearness at 1. This is ideal for all sub- 60fps material. My secondary profile for 60fps material (ex. sports) has motionflow set to 2 with clearness at 1. Cinemotion is set to off for both profiles. To explain Cinemotion, it does nothing unless motionflow is activated. If it’s active with smoothness set to min, it will not touch 60fps content while attempting to interpolate sub-60fps content. It will also take 24p content in a 60hz wrapper (i.e. most content on your cable television provider or movies/shows from internal smart apps) and display it at 5:5 without judder. While this sounds good, the processing is noticeable and it looks stuttery or appears as though there’s additional ghosting when this is active. Furthermore, if this processing detects multiple framerates (like a news ticker at the bottom of a broadcast) it tends to freak out, cause erratic stutter, and/or dropped frames. In short, use Cinemotion at your own risk. Nobody wants judder, but the trade offs aren’t anywhere close to worth it IMO. Another thing to note, motionflow smoothness higher than min will always cause interpolation/SOE on sub-60fps content but will not cause interpolation on 60fps content unless Cinemotion is activated.
Thanks Curly for the extensive reply. Truly appreciated and did do the Custom Pro 1 and 2 setup a while back and are making use of them as you depict above with the two different motion settings. To be honest though, my plasmas are a hell of a lot easier as once you set them correctly they just work for all content. I know no HDR but my Sammy 59 and 65 are still bright enough for us.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Aren't we getting VBR soon? I read the lower models were already having this pushed to them. Any scoop?

PS... bummer on the Panasonic HDMI chip issue...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hello,
Can someone please repost or give link to the recommended settings ..

ie 65x950g

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
950G on 6.4770 H firmware. Does anyone use Clearness at 2 to solve blooming problems with HDR? I usually do not have much issue with bloom but Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix is a very dark HDR show so when a light is near the letterbox the bloom becomes very distracting. I set clearness to 2 just to see what happens and it vastly improved bloom and still did not dim the picture enough to lose shadow detail . Obviously your room setting will be a big factor but I always watch any show/movie in a dark setting.

·
Registered
173 Posts
950G on 6.4770 H firmware. Does anyone use Clearness at 2 to solve blooming problems with HDR? I usually do not have much issue with bloom but Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix is a very dark HDR show so when a light is near the letterbox the bloom becomes very distracting. I set clearness to 2 just to see what happens and it vastly improved bloom and still did not dim the picture enough to lose shadow detail . Obviously your room setting will be a big factor but I always watch any show/movie in a dark setting.
Alternatively you could try lowering the gamma to -2 from the standard 0 for HDR.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
173 Posts
Reactions: jlm86

·
Registered
16 Posts
Clearness 2 dims the overall picture too much for me.
The 950G with the H firmware Clearness at 1 does not trigger the dimming like on the 950G firmware. You have to set it at 2 like on the 950H. I usually keep all motion settings off but It honestly makes made motion better. it's hard to describe but it just makes the motion more pleasant to the eye without any interpolation (AppleTV with match Framerate on). I am probably going to keep it on.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Thanks @curly21029 , for the motion writeup; I am keeping my 50” Panny plasma for my bar area, and I am still on the g firmware (my 950g probably is the most viewed), as I also have 2 more actual 950Hs, but so far, you have given the most compelling reason (s) to do the H upgrade ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks @curly21029 , for the motion writeup; I am keeping my 50” Panny plasma for my bar area, and I am still on the g firmware (my 950g probably is the most viewed), as I also have 2 more actual 950Hs, but so far, you have given the most compelling reason (s) to do the H upgrade ;)
galanzo, what is the most compelling reason(s) to do the H upgrade based on curly's outstanding write-up? From what I read he indicated it ran so much better than what was on the G and he was also getting random reboots but he didn't notice any real visual picture benefit.

I have the G with the factory-installed firmware so I haven't had an opportunity to compare it to the H firmware and interface but have heard varying perspectives as some like the old interface while some like the new. My TV works quite well which is why I'm asking questions trying to learn more and don't plan on upgrading firmware at all yet and likely will continue to wait to see what Sony does with next firmware upgrades for G and H.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to know If I will lose my warranty If I decide to install that firmware vis USB
We do not recommend or support using other TV firmwares.
They are similar models, but they are not the same as they are a year apart.We'd like to highlight that UK and US models are not the same.
All I need to know is If I will lose my warrantry or not
We do not recommend doing this, and if the TV is damaged as a consequence of a forced incompatible update, it will be out of warranty as the damage will be intentional.
We only recommend updating the TV using the update file we state as compatible on the product support page.
The TV should reject incompatible updates in general.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So if I understood correctly, I can´t lose my warranty unless the TV is damaged by intentional installation of an incompatible firmware, but at the same time he said tv should reject incompatible firmware, so if H firmware works perfectly on XG950, then It is probably safe right? At the same time I heard no one trusts sony support, fk.
Anyway, brand new 55XG950, good PQ but I noticed the blooming, and motion doesn´t seem much fluid (used CUSTOM preset, didn't change anything else though).
Don´t know if I should take the risk. I´m a student, don´t have money to buy another TV in case something bad happens.
Another question. Any known hardware difference between EU and US version?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hello forum. Been awhile since I posted. Have a question. I have a 55G with H FW 6.4738. Ive been occasionally checking the available FW's for the G and H waiting to see if Sony releases an official G FW thats a higher number than the 6.4738 and has the improvements of the H FW. Well it doesnt look like thats ever going to happen. So I am thinking of updating my G to the current 6.4770 that a lot of you already have. I have a couple questions.

1) Do you think Sony is done providing G updates?
2) For those of you that updated your G from 6.4738 to 6.4770 did you have to do a reset? Did you need to do anything with your remotes Bluetooth to get it working again? Because I remember the pain it was when I did my last update to get BT working again.
3) What (if any) improvements are there from 38 to 70?

I know a reset is highly recommended after an update but its a lot more than just having to change all my settings back. I have several paid apps that I am using my mother in laws account with and its a pain to get her to reactivate some of the apps and/ or get passwords again since she changes them so often. So I am hoping that if I update to 70 I dont need to do a reset. Anyway thanks in advance guys/ gals.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hello forum. Been awhile since I posted. Have a question. I have a 55G with H FW 6.4738. Ive been occasionally checking the available FW's for the G and H waiting to see if Sony releases an official G FW thats a higher number than the 6.4738 and has the improvements of the H FW. Well it doesnt look like thats ever going to happen. So I am thinking of updating my G to the current 6.4770 that a lot of you already have. I have a couple questions.

1) Do you think Sony is done providing G updates?
2) For those of you that updated your G from 6.4738 to 6.4770 did you have to do a reset? Did you need to do anything with your remotes Bluetooth to get it working again? Because I remember the pain it was when I did my last update to get BT working again.
3) What (if any) improvements are there from 38 to 70?

I know a reset is highly recommended after an update but its a lot more than just having to change all my settings back. I have several paid apps that I am using my mother in laws account with and its a pain to get her to reactivate some of the apps and/ or get passwords again since she changes them so often. So I am hoping that if I update to 70 I dont need to do a reset. Anyway thanks in advance guys/ gals.
You will have to do a hard reset in order for the update to completely take (using physical buttons). My remote works fine.

7401 - 7420 of 7733 Posts