AVS Forum banner

8321 - 8340 of 8377 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Updated to the newest fimware(EU) a few days ago, still had the firmware the tv came with never went with the H firmware decided not to screw with things that way.Update started immediatly after i pluged in the usb , asking for consent would have been nice but whatever, it took only 6 minutes to install(maybe because the usb was NTFS).

Anyway the picture is better overall especially the local dimming, the light looks more natural and less blooming. Maybe the whole picture improvement is because of the local dimming itsellf i can't really tell.

As for motion interpolation i had my hopes up becuse someone said it had improved a few pages back and it really has as far as i can tell the smoothness is higher than before maybe even as it should be and it looks beautifulll when it's actually FREAKING ON. Just as before the motion interpolation keeps turning on and off every few seconds on "custom" and "auto", on console i can use it in auto without it turning on and off if my eyes don't deceive me but custom seems to be smoother than auto.
Turning it on at 1080p 120hz still looks like motion interpolation is not even turned on, just like before the update.

I really don't understand the point of this option going from super smooth to super choppy every few seconds what is the goal here to give people a seizure or something.
I aprecciate the upgrade of picture quality but my (and some other people's) gripe with this tv is the motion flow not working right like on previous tv modells , like some family members have an older 1080p 60hz sony tv and it has a great motion interpolation no turning on and off and continuous motion as a result.

Sony for the love of all electronics would you please just put an "always on" setting in "film mode" so that motion interpolation is ALWAYS ON, so it can actually be used.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am still holding onto my "Z" firmware...I have zero issues with it so don't feel the need to "upgrade".
In my case the latest firmware seems to have solved the eARC sound issues, at least after the update everything has been working so far. Other than that, I can't say whether the picture is improved or not, I'm not watching the same stuff all over again and the content has more discernible effect than any changes due to updates.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Updated to the newest fimware(EU) a few days ago, still had the firmware the tv came with never went with the H firmware decided not to screw with things that way.Update started immediatly after i pluged in the usb , asking for consent would have been nice but whatever, it took only 6 minutes to install(maybe because the usb was NTFS).

Anyway the picture is better overall especially the local dimming, the light looks more natural and less blooming. Maybe the whole picture improvement is because of the local dimming itsellf i can't really tell.

As for motion interpolation i had my hopes up becuse someone said it had improved a few pages back and it really has as far as i can tell the smoothness is higher than before maybe even as it should be and it looks beautifulll when it's actually FREAKING ON. Just as before the motion interpolation keeps turning on and off every few seconds on "custom" and "auto", on console i can use it in auto without it turning on and off if my eyes don't deceive me but custom seems to be smoother than auto.
Turning it on at 1080p 120hz still looks like motion interpolation is not even turned on, just like before the update.

I really don't understand the point of this option going from super smooth to super choppy every few seconds what is the goal here to give people a seizure or something.
I aprecciate the upgrade of picture quality but my (and some other people's) gripe with this tv is the motion flow not working right like on previous tv modells , like some family members have an older 1080p 60hz sony tv and it has a great motion interpolation no turning on and off and continuous motion as a result.

Sony for the love of all electronics would you please just put an "always on" setting in "film mode" so that motion interpolation is ALWAYS ON, so it can actually be used.
Which setting are you talking about? In my set nothing jumps anywhere, let alone every few seconds. Of course, I'm not gaming, so can't relate to anything game related.

·
Registered
231 Posts

You probably just need to do a full factory reset. You jumped a lot of incremental updates so I'm not surprised that you'd have some weird stuff going on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Which setting are you talking about? In my set nothing jumps anywhere, let alone every few seconds. Of course, I'm not gaming, so can't relate to anything game related.
Motion flow : custom or auto, film mode: auto. It did this before the update as well altough it's a little better now the motion interpolation turns on and off faster but it's still an "adaptive" motion interpolation it's not always on. Maybe your not sensitive enough to see it or maybe it's different on your set. I complained about this a while back and so did a couple of other people, doens't matter what settings i set the option i need has been removed by sony for this tv. The option is "film mode" to be able to set to "high", "medium" or "low", only options we have is "auto" or "off".

·
Registered
78 Posts
You probably just need to do a full factory reset. You jumped a lot of incremental updates so I'm not surprised that you'd have some weird stuff going on.
It's an old issue sony just won't add the option for constant motion interpolation(motionflow). And i can't reset the tv i just don't have the energy to set a thousand settings all over again (i changed a lot of stuff). There are no other problems but one of the old ones.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Motion flow : custom or auto, film mode: auto. It did this before the update as well altough it's a little better now the motion interpolation turns on and off faster but it's still an "adaptive" motion interpolation it's not always on. Maybe your not sensitive enough to see it or maybe it's different on your set. I complained about this a while back and so did a couple of other people, doens't matter what settings i set the option i need has been removed by sony for this tv. The option is "film mode" to be able to set to "high", "medium" or "low", only options we have is "auto" or "off".
It's an old issue sony just won't add the option for constant motion interpolation(motionflow). And i can't reset the tv i just don't have the energy to set a thousand settings all over again (i changed a lot of stuff). There are no other problems but one of the old ones.
You absolutely can control interpolation on the X950G. Set Motionflow to Custom and then adjust Smoothness to your desired level from Min to 5. This sets the motion interpolation to a constant factor. Clearness is also adjustable from Min to 5 and this controls the black frame insertion intensity. A Clearness setting of 1 when used in conjunction with a Smoothness setting of 2 enables the X-Motion Clarity function. Any Clearness setting of 2 and up will cause what I consider to be significant dimming of the picture and should probably be avoided.

CineMotion is for frame rate cadence detection and pulldown adjustment. Auto and Off work as required, Auto adjusts pulldown rates automatically where possible (ie. 2:3, 2:2, 5:5) and disables it when not possible. Off simply disables pulldown adjustments.

Sony never removed any settings from this TV, those settings never existed on any X1 Ultimate chipset Sony television, they were only available on the X1 Extreme and some earlier chipsets. Though the settings on my X950G are more simplistic than those on my earlier Sony TV the X950G offers superior motion handling in every way. If you aren't willing to do a factory reset and adjusting the Smoothness/Clearness settings don't achieve the desired affect then you're just going to have to put up with the performance the way it is. Personally I can't understand the aversion, even the most complicated setups can be duplicated on a fresh restart in less than an hour as long as you record your settings in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You absolutely can control interpolation on the X950G. Set Motionflow to Custom and then adjust Smoothness to your desired level from Min to 5. This sets the motion interpolation to a constant factor. Clearness is also adjustable from Min to 5 and this controls the black frame insertion intensity. A Clearness setting of 1 when used in conjunction with a Smoothness setting of 2 enables the X-Motion Clarity function. Any Clearness setting of 2 and up will cause what I consider to be significant dimming of the picture and should probably be avoided.

CineMotion is for frame rate cadence detection and pulldown adjustment. Auto and Off work as required, Auto adjusts pulldown rates automatically where possible (ie. 2:3, 2:2, 5:5) and disables it when not possible. Off simply disables pulldown adjustments.

Sony never removed any settings from this TV, those settings never existed on any X1 Ultimate chipset Sony television, they were only available on the X1 Extreme and some earlier chipsets. Though the settings on my X950G are more simplistic than those on my earlier Sony TV the X950G offers superior motion handling in every way. If you aren't willing to do a factory reset and adjusting the Smoothness/Clearness settings don't achieve the desired affect then you're just going to have to put up with the performance the way it is. Personally I can't understand the aversion, even the most complicated setups can be duplicated on a fresh restart in less than an hour as long as you record your settings in advance.
There are no 5 levels of smoothness on my tv only 3. Do 5 levels appear after reset or something because there were always only 3 even before i updated?
As for the settings of the entire tv i changed alot of them not just for picture quality it's probably a few hundred settings of which i don't remember all and where they were and i just can't do that all over again maybe in the future if i have a very good reason.
As for the "removal" of settings concerning "film mode"(cinemotion) i meant it in a way that sony didn't include them in this newer model, which in my opinion are essential for an honest to goodness motion interpolation not just a "half way" version so to speak.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Y
I have motion flow on custom, smoothness on max and clearness on 1 and for me the X motion clarity is enabled. And there is no option to put clearness on 5
There are no 5 levels of smoothness on my tv only 3. Do 5 levels appear after reset or something because there were always only 3 even before i updated?
As for the settings of the entire tv i changed alot of them not just for picture quality it's probably a few hundred settings of which i don't remember all and where they were and i just can't do that all over again maybe in the future if i have a very good reason.
As for the "removal" of settings concerning "film mode"(cinemotion) i meant it in a way that sony didn't include them in this newer model, which in my opinion are essential for an honest to goodness motion interpolation not just a "half way" version so to speak.
You're both absolutely right, the scale for both Smoothness and Clearness on Custom is Min - 1 - 2 - Max. Not sure what I was remembering but clearly I remembered wrong. Otherwise I stand by the rest of my comment. Interpolation is adjustable and can be set to a fixed intensity.

Also forgot to say motion interoplation only turns on when "film mode" is set to "auto".
Setting CineMotion to Auto will be necessary for certain content because otherwise the TV isn't working from the original 24fps or 30fps signal. With CineMotion disabled the TV is often trying to interpolate a 60fps signal which doesn't produce the same level of soap opera effect. You need a framerate below 60fps, and ideally a frame rate that divides equally into 120, for the interpolation feature to work best.

·
Registered
231 Posts
These are the latest firmwares, not the older versions.
Read the whole post. The older versions are linked as well but Sony removes the update info pages when a new firmware is released. The files remain on the servers for download though. 6.4770, 6.4774 & 6.4775 were all Z firmware releases prior to the unified 6.4960 release.

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
78 Posts
Y

You're both absolutely right, the scale for both Smoothness and Clearness on Custom is Min - 1 - 2 - Max. Not sure what I was remembering but clearly I remembered wrong. Otherwise I stand by the rest of my comment. Interpolation is adjustable and can be set to a fixed intensity.

Setting CineMotion to Auto will be necessary for certain content because otherwise the TV isn't working from the original 24fps or 30fps signal. With CineMotion disabled the TV is often trying to interpolate a 60fps signal which doesn't produce the same level of soap opera effect. You need a framerate below 60fps, and ideally a frame rate that divides equally into 120, for the interpolation feature to work best.
I was already using smoothness at 3 when i was using motion flow set to "custom". It just isn't on always when watching video or playing a game on ps4 pro, altough it's less noticable on console maybe because i'm otherwise preocupied with the game but motionflow set to "auto" might not be turning on and off but still it's less smooth than "custom".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok folks, hope everyone's been safe. I have been watching Hustle on Prime which is a BBC series and have noticed on several episodes judder or stuttering where picture looks jerky. I have updated to latest 5042 firmware and not much difference.

I'm rather still confused on the motion settings of the x950g. I have Motionflow set to custom with both smoothness and clearness set to 1. I have tried increasing smoothness but picture starts looking strange (guess soap opera effect) and then tried leaving smoothness at 1 and increasing clearness to 2 and although picture darkens somewhat think may be a bit better but nothing even close to my replaced Samsung plasma. I think I use to have cinemotion set to off originally and have tried turning that on to Auto but not sure if makes sense or not in general.

Any pointers on how to configure motion settings? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think your problem is likely that internal apps are locked at 60Hz while the series your watching was filmed at 25Hz. Setting CineMotion to Auto may or may not help since we're likely talking about PAL frame rates and there is no pull down conversion for 25fps into 60fps.

8321 - 8340 of 8377 Posts