AVS Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 2252 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
  • "2019 TCL Q82X, R62X, and 55/65S52X models will also support eARC once updated to OS 9.4. eARC allows higher bandwidth audio to be delivered to compatible audio equipment connected to your TV. The new release will also enable VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) on the 2019 TCL 55R62X model for enhanced game play with compatible game consoles and games."
Seems pretty specific, unless this is some kind of terrible misprint. This may just be for the initial 9.4 update, heres hoping they add it at a later date to the premium and larger models. Regardles, yet another baffling design decision from the TCL team.

·
Banned
706 Posts
...what are you talking about? Nothing within the post you quoted stated it would be limited to the 55" version of the R625 and not the 65". Also, no one said it wasn't coming to the Q825. The person you quoted only mentioned the R625....because this is the R625 thread. Neither of those things even make sense. Why would it be limited to the 55", but not the 65"? Why would a new feature be made available to lower tier model, but not a higher tier model. That is completely irrational. :rolleyes:
Please do research before you say stuff on this site. Go read the TCL 9.4 announcement. I didn't have time to post it but the other people did. I know what I am talking about. Bruce from TCL on here won't answer me because TCL is BS and I am a supoorter of TCL until now. It's ashame they only limited the 55" to get VRR. A lot of 2019 owners of the 65" and the Q825 are gonna be pissed.

·
Banned
706 Posts
  • "2019 TCL Q82X, R62X, and 55/65S52X models will also support eARC once updated to OS 9.4. eARC allows higher bandwidth audio to be delivered to compatible audio equipment connected to your TV. The new release will also enable VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) on the 2019 TCL 55R62X model for enhanced game play with compatible game consoles and games."
Seems pretty specific, unless this is some kind of terrible misprint. This may just be for the initial 9.4 update, heres hoping they add it at a later date to the premium and larger models. Regardles, yet another baffling design decision from the TCL team.
I hope so. I emailed TCL to clarify if it was a misprint but I doubt it. This is wrong and screwing over a lot of people.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I hope so. I emailed TCL to clarify if it was a misprint but I doubt it. This is wrong and screwing over a lot of people.
The TV you bought still has all the features you bought it with. Plus it's now getting eARC due to Roku 9.4 firmware update. How is that screwing over a lot of people? Nothing is being subtracted what what you own, and you shouldn't buy a TV for what it possibly can do in the future, but the specs it has right now.

That's why I have held off on buying a 4K TV since last year until I know I'm getting one with guaranteed eARC. Couldn't care less about VRR. But if I did care about that, I would have bought a TV with that spec -- not hope for the feature in the future.

TCL never promised which "select Series 6" would get eARC and VRR. We assumed they meant all the 2019 Series 6 but probably not the older 2018 Series 6 -- but they never actually said until now. And all the 2019 Series 6 is getting eARC, so that's great.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Please do research before you say stuff on this site. Go read the TCL 9.4 announcement. I didn't have time to post it but the other people did. I know what I am talking about. Bruce from TCL on here won't answer me because TCL is BS and I am a supoorter of TCL until now. It's ashame they only limited the 55" to get VRR. A lot of 2019 owners of the 65" and the Q825 are gonna be pissed.
Please use some common sense. Both the 55" and the 65" receive the exact same firmware file and versions for updates. What logical reason could there possibly be for why the 55" would get VRR and the 65" would not? Seriously...that makes absolutely no logical sense. So why don't you take a breath, calm down and wait for the actual update to appear instead of hyperventilating over a single release likely written by a marketing intern with no connection or communication with the developers of the firmware updates. Bruce from TCL doesn't owe you a damn thing.

·
Banned
706 Posts
The TV you bought still has all the features you bought it with. Plus it's now getting eARC due to Roku 9.4 firmware update. How is that screwing over a lot of people? Nothing is being subtracted what what you own, and you shouldn't buy a TV for what it possibly can do in the future, but the specs it has right now.

That's why I have held off on buying a 4K TV since last year until I know I'm getting one with guaranteed eARC. Couldn't care less about VRR. But if I did care about that, I would have bought a TV with that spec -- not hope for the feature in the future.

TCL never promised which "select Series 6" would get eARC and VRR. We assumed they meant all the 2019 Series 6 but probably not the older 2018 Series 6 -- but they never actually said until now. And all the 2019 Series 6 is getting eARC, so that's great.
Go read my response please. I said when they announced the update back in Jan. They didn't clarify which variant would get it So when TCL announced it they said the 6 series and the 8 series. Did they say which variant? No! And you know why people are pissed because people went out to buy the TCL R625 and the Q825 from Jan till Sept thinking that they would be getting it and TCL was hushed on clarifying what variant would get it. Who would of thought the R625 55" would be the only one getting both VRR and e/arc?. No one. Everyone thought atleast the flagship would get both and what did they get. They got screwed just like the 65" 6 series got screwed. It doesn't make sense to add VRR just to the 55" 6 series. And don't say the other variants are incompatible to get VRR. That's just BS talk.

·
Banned
706 Posts
Please use some common sense. Both the 55" and the 65" receive the exact same firmware file and versions for updates. What logical reason could there possibly be for why the 55" would get VRR and the 65" would not? Seriously...that makes absolutely no logical sense. So why don't you take a breath, calm down and wait for the actual update to appear instead of hyperventilating over a single release likely written by a marketing intern with no connection or communication with the developers of the firmware updates. Bruce from TCL doesn't owe you a damn thing.
Wow you still can't read. Read the press release. The 55" R625 is the only one getting VRR. Please stop confusing people. I love how TCL Bruce has like 5 different accounts on here to push TCL.😂😂

·
Registered
840 Posts
Go read my response please. I said when they announced the update back in Jan. They didn't clarify which variant would get it So when TCL announced it they said the 6 series and the 8 series. Did they say which variant? No! And you know why people are pissed because people went out to buy the TCL R625 and the Q825 from Jan till Sept thinking that they would be getting it and TCL was hushed on clarifying what variant would get it. Who would of thought the R625 55" would be the only one getting both VRR and e/arc?. No one. Everyone thought atleast the flagship would get both and what did they get. They got screwed just like the 65" 6 series got screwed. It doesn't make sense to add VRR just to the 55" 6 series. And don't say the other variants are incompatible to get VRR. That's just BS talk.
I pointed out TCL never said specifically which TVs. They always said language like this: "The update is slated for this spring, and it should arrive for select 2019 TCL Roku TV 6-Series models".

Granted, it wasn't Spring, but now Fall (pandemic delayed everything). "Select" is categorically opposite of "All". They never promised all 2019 TCL Series 6, so why are you mad for them to fulfill the vague promise they actually made? No one should buy a device made on promised future capabilities, but instead the specs it has right now.

Plus, who's to say the 2019 Series 6 65" won't eventually get VRR, possibly with 9.5 firmware update?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Wow you still can't read. Read the press release. The 55" R625 is the only one getting VRR. Please stop confusing people. I love how TCL Bruce has like 5 different accounts on here to push TCL.😂😂
...speaking of those who cannot read...

So why don't you take a breath, calm down and wait for the actual update to appear instead of hyperventilating over a single release likely written by a marketing intern with no connection or communication with the developers of the firmware updates.
Release, as in press release.

You are melting down over a lone statement from a massive multinational corporation headquartered in China with nearly 80,000 employees and several dozen locations around the world. You are pinning your entire rant on one mention in a lone press release without applying any thought to whether it makes sense or simply waiting for the update to appear. Does it make any sense at all that VRR would only come to the 55" model? No. Is there any logical, technical or financial reason why they would develop this update with VRR only for the 55" model? No. Do the 55" and 65" models receive separate and independent firmware updates? No. Has common sense failed you? Finally...we have a yes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
While he's annoying, he's possibly not wrong. TCL has been very, very careful to always say specific 2019 6 Series TVs will get the VRR update. It's possible that the SoC isn't able to handle VRR when it comes to the 65" and its extra zones. It's the same reason I think the 8 Series isn't receiving VRR, either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think VRR is enabled on all the 2020 R635 models and sizes, right? It uses slightly upgraded tech though. TxTchRR makes a great point about the dimming zones on the 2019 models.

All the bickering aside, it would be nice to hear an official reason for this decision handed down from an engineer or managment. Or if its coming at a later date, an anouncement regarding that might save a lot of headaches...

I personally own the 55" but really though, I get being seriously miffed about not getting HDMI VRR. Especially if I bought this set for gaming or as a PC monitor, and especially on the premium model. Heres hoping for a future announcement.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Exciting rollout! I've never been an a
Airplay/Homekit guy but it looks cool! Plus the new look and feel of the Options screens are wicked slick and polished!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think VRR is enabled on all the 2020 R635 models and sizes, right? It uses slightly upgraded tech though. TxTchRR makes a great point about the dimming zones on the 2019 models.

All the bickering aside, it would be nice to hear an official reason for this decision handed down from an engineer or managment. Or if its coming at a later date, an anouncement regarding that might save a lot of headaches...

I personally own the 55" but really though, I get being seriously miffed about not getting HDMI VRR. Especially if I bought this set for gaming or as a PC monitor, and especially on the premium model. Heres hoping for a future announcement.
I get the sentiment, but at the same time, the TV wasn't introduced with a promise of VRR or eARC so it isn't like they're short changing anyone who bought last year. To be honest, I never really expected my 8 Series to even get eARC which, I'm thankful, turned out to happen after all. There's always an incentive to buying current tech and making VRR work on all sizes with all numbers of dimming zones is this year's incentive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@neightdog

Yeah, it will more than likely be in the standard 48-60hz 4k VRR range for the 55R625. I doubt they will be adding LFC (low framerate compensation) so 30fps games dont benefit.

Basically it prevents that jerky stutter when content drops slightly below the refresh rate of the display and isnt a divisble number of the displays max refresh rate; thereby drastically helping with motion in these scenarios. The old solution on PC games used to be triple buffering but it introduces input lag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe they are holding back updates for the older tcl 6 since they want everyone to have an incentive to go out and buy their newer tcl 6. But it could also be related to the higher number of dimming zones on larger set. I wonder if the processor is slower in our older tcl 6 (eg. slightly slower motion handling that many people complain about) and that may be why it cannot handle any other features like vrr.

·
Registered
812 Posts
any update on Amazon HDR not working on this TV's roku? Kind of frustrating that it is taking so long to fix. Been having to hook up my TiVo 4k stream to get HDR output.

TIA

·
Registered
91 Posts
any update on Amazon HDR not working on this TV's roku? Kind of frustrating that it is taking so long to fix. Been having to hook up my TiVo 4k stream to get HDR output.

TIA
I've asked this question multiple times and never gotten any response other than "Amazon and Roku are aware of the problem". Supposedly an update is being released on 10/10 for VRR (6 series only) & eARC, hopefully it fixes it. It's been 5 months of this and it's really dumb.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've asked this question multiple times and never gotten any response other than "Amazon and Roku are aware of the problem". Supposedly an update is being released on 10/10 for VRR (6 series only) & eARC, hopefully it fixes it. It's been 5 months of this and it's really dumb.
Haha, sounds right

·
Registered
133 Posts
"Supposedly an update is being released on 10/10 for VRR and eARC" Really? In two days? How do you know this, if you don't mind me asking.

2201 - 2220 of 2252 Posts