AVS Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 2252 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
No VRR support what a disgrace. Only on the 55" . TCL should be ashamed of themselves . Why doesn't the 65 and the Q825 . That's your flagship model. Total failure on TCL part.
I am BEYOND disappointed in this! This update was the main reason I purchased the 625 over the Hisense H9F. Was so excited to play the PS5 with this feature. What a major letdown!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I am BEYOND disappointed in this! This update was the main reason I purchased the 625 over the Hisense H9F. Was so excited to play the PS5 with this feature. What a major letdown!
It was never promised to you.

TCL always said "select" 2019 Series 6, not "all" would get VRR. "Select" is the opposite of "all". Only recently did they list which that would be. They specifically said ALL would not receive this VRR feature.

Whereas "all" 2019 Series 6 will receive the eARC update. So that's great.

Only buy a TV with actual features now, not vague promise of future features.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was never promised to you.

TCL said "select" 2019 Series 6, not "all".

Only buy a TV with actual features now, not vague promise of future features.
I can still be disappointed that it didn't come to the 65" tv and also knowing it wasn't promised. Not like the H9F was getting it anyway but it was a tipping point deciding between the two. And any tv with VRR already was out of my budget. I'm allowed to be disappointed, don't need your life lessons but thanks

·
Registered
840 Posts
I can still be disappointed that it didn't come to the 65" tv and also knowing it wasn't promised. Not like the H9F was getting it anyway but it was a tipping point deciding between the two. And any tv with VRR already was out of my budget. I'm allowed to be disappointed, don't need your life lessons but thanks
Didn't mean to sound patronizing, but didn't help you specifically quoted someone banned for their argumentative behavior. It came across like you were continuing their agenda.

I was just saying no one should have bought this TV in 2020 based on vague "select" promise. Because TCL never said which 2019 Series 6 variants would get the update (until now). Anyone who did so was just making a bet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Didn't mean to sound patronizing, but didn't help you specifically quoted someone banned for their argumentative behavior.
I'm not too familiar with the members here, I don't frequent the board often but when I read the TCL release I wanted to see if anyone else felt as I did

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hope VRR comes to this 65" model, since I use it with a PC often, but if not, I will only be a little disappointed. Any improvements from the update will be welcomed ...... I'm continuing to enjoy it for tv shows and movies on streaming apps and hdr movies from a PC.

Despite this model not getting any more attention since the newer models have been out, the deep black uniformity in the dark continue being impressive even for SD content, rarely any blooming on direct straight on viewing...Picture looks like a small movie theater screen, playing movies in the dark.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I've been using this TV (the 55) for strictly SDR lately considering the HDR support for pro calibration isn't very good.

Let me just say, when you disable the local dimming (local contrast) this TV gets insanely accurate for Rec709 coverage. I mean VERY VERY good. Sure, it doesn't have the "pop" that you get from dimming but for SDR you don't need it if you're going for studio grade color accuracy. My personal preference is fully calibrated SDR beats uncalibrated HDR any day of the week.

Local dimming on this set causes the greyscale and color in expert settings to do weird things even in SDR but when you turn it off and just use a standard SDR curve (100 nits peak) it's very very nice. I think the tonemapping is kind of borked on a lot of LCDs right now.

And disabling dimming has even less input lag. I'm testing around 9ms in game mode with local dimming off which is insane for a TV!! I'm literally getting greyscale errors max at .2 on 40% white, everything else is .1 or .0!

Either way, after calibrating with the app with dimming off, and black level is already .019 which is great for SDR and the pure black uniformity is better than most high end sets. Color DE is an insanely low 2.0 AFTER saturation sweeps! This is insanely good for any tv let alone a budget model for SDR. This set continues to surprise.

With VRR update I'm thinking about turning this into a PC monitor... Just need to get my hands on a 3080 now...

Kudos to TCL, if you guys fix HDR calibration this will be one of the best product lines out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
anyone having problem with sound?

the other day there was 0 sound from tv speakers and avr connected to the tv. but it came back after an hour or so

now again, since yesterday no sound.
any ideas?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

the other day there was 0 sound from tv speakers and avr connected to the tv. but it came back after an hour or so

any ideas?
I have to ask:
1. Do you have a SS system connected to the TV?
2. Check your HDMI connections.
3. Are your TV speakers disabled in order to use the SS system?
4. Do you have a digital optical audio cable connected from the TV to the AVR? If so, in order to listen to the TV sound(OTA Channels) make sure you press TV on the AVR remote. Also, make sure the AVR optical audio input is properly assigned.
Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts

any ideas?
This happened to me on an earlier firmware. Try resetting sound in sound settings and then restarting your TV from the Roku TV menu under Power.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro users here? What resolution rate do you find to be the most stable? I keep going back and forth between 24 and 60hz 12 bit. I could not find the actual specs for what is best used for the TCL R625 (65"). Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do you access the advanced picture settings for this TV from the Roku mobile app? I don't see it anywhere in the Roku settings menu on the TV, just Brightness levels and Dolby Vision on/off. Hitting the * on the remote doesn't seem to do anything. It's gotta be something easy I'm missing but the user guide doesn't mention it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
How do you access the advanced picture settings for this TV from the Roku mobile app? I don't see it anywhere in the Roku settings menu on the TV, just Brightness levels and Dolby Vision on/off. Hitting the * on the remote doesn't seem to do anything. It's gotta be something easy I'm missing but the user guide doesn't mention it.
Howdy,

With content playing, hit the * on the remote. That will bring up the options screen. Scroll down to Picture Settings. There you will find your color, tint, contrast etc.

There are also Expert Picture Settings using the Roku Mobile app for Gamma, noise reduction and calibration settings.
Hope that helps,

Bruce

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you may also be referring to "picture settings" which is down the list from there. That allows backlight contrast sharpness etc. Bruce is also right expert controls are in the roku app on mobile devices.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I tested "Computer" input/mode...

The input lag is even better sitting at a mere 8.3ms guys. Plus the 4:4:4 chroma support is even better for games in this mode.

The TV apparently also adjusts automatically to RGB full (PC levels) and RGB limited (Studio levels) which is a nice feature. You"ll need to recalibrate when switching modes as it throws the gamma curve slightly off with the shift in color and luminance data. Still, I would recommend leaving all your inputs on limited RGB for this and almost all TVs as you get a better out of the box gamma curve if you aren't using calibration tools and you get better "whiter than whites".

And with that, the Roku app expert settings calibration works for greyscale and colorspace in PC mode! Colorspace calibration didn't even work on my old Samsung in PC mode. For SDR, at least, the display is even more accurate in terms of greyscale, gamma curve and very slightly colorspace in computer mode after calibration. We're talking barely .1 DE on the greyscale folks. After saturation sweeps color DE is a measly 1.8DE as well. (Gave up on HDR on this display, the calibration settings for it are beyond broken.)

I'm planning on using DisplayCal to iron out the remaining color DEs for this display using an icc profile in windows, which you can apply to games and other fullscreen applications using Reshade for basically picture perfect color accuracy... Not that it needs it after the display itself is calibrated, but if you're a bit of a color fanatic like me why not? ;P

So yeah, I would recommend using Computer input/mode for all SDR gaming unless you care about the sharpness feature which it disables. Lower input lag + full 4:4:4 chroma support.

It also disables Game Mode but it natively had lower input lag than Game Mode on Computer input so it's a moot point. You can still toggle it on and off but it doesnt do anything (apparently). This is now an excellent computer monitor... Just need that VRR update!

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I tested "Computer" input/mode...

The input lag is even better sitting at a mere 8.3ms guys. Plus the 4:4:4 chroma support is even better for games in this mode.

The TV apparently also adjusts automatically to RGB full (PC levels) and RGB limited (Studio levels) which is a nice feature. You"ll need to recalibrate when switching modes as it throws the gamma curve slightly off with the shift in color and luminance data. Still, I would recommend leaving all your inputs on limited RGB for this and almost all TVs as you get a better out of the box gamma curve if you aren't using calibration tools and you get better "whiter than whites".

And with that, the Roku app expert settings calibration works for greyscale and colorspace in PC mode! Colorspace calibration didn't even work on my old Samsung in PC mode. For SDR, at least, the display is even more accurate in terms of greyscale, gamma curve and very slightly colorspace in computer mode after calibration. We're talking barely .1 DE on the greyscale folks. After saturation sweeps color DE is a measly 1.8DE as well. (Gave up on HDR on this display, the calibration settings for it are beyond broken.)

I'm planning on using DisplayCal to iron out the remaining color DEs for this display using an icc profile in windows, which you can apply to games and other fullscreen applications using Reshade for basically picture perfect color accuracy... Not that it needs it after the display itself is calibrated, but if you're a bit of a color fanatic like me why not? ;P

So yeah, I would recommend using Computer input/mode for all SDR gaming unless you care about the sharpness feature which it disables. Lower input lag + full 4:4:4 chroma support.

It also disables Game Mode but it natively had lower input lag than Game Mode on Computer input so it's a moot point. You can still toggle it on and off but it doesnt do anything (apparently). This is now an excellent computer monitor... Just need that VRR update!
That Game Mode setting does do stuff even on Computer mode since it still has the FALD issue that has been discussed here and on the Roku forums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That Game Mode setting does do stuff even on Computer mode since it still has the FALD issue that has been discussed here and on the Roku forums.
Perhaps. I didn't test FALD on my last calibration run in computer mode as I only use the TV for SDR. The HDR support on this set is god awful for pro calibration, and FALD is usually more harmful to SDR than helpful.

My point with FALD is that it has terrible tone mapping support on this and many other TVs so you want to turn dimming off for SDR in my experiences, that is if you're going for accuracy and not "pop". Even on the highest end LEDs it has minor issues with content in real time.

On this display in particular, the 11 point greyscale is much harder to get accurate (>.5DE) with FALD. Not to mention it tends to blow out white and whiter than whites and crush blacks even after calibration because of borked tone mapping. I'd buy an OLED if I wanted to do anything with HDR and perfect blacks for content, not a 600 budget LED.

HDR will be sub-par anyway until you have at least 4000 nit consumer OLED displays that have zero burn in with at least 95% Rec2020 (not DCI-P3) coverage. So maybe in 10 years or so? Current HDR is a gimmicky train wreck with no real standard. At least with Rec709 you get full gamut coverage that is actually somewhat standardized with bt1886 in terms of gamma etc. I do get why people think modern HDR looks good, the same way people think blown out colors, clipped whites and crushed blacks make their TV look good.

The psychology of it is that the higher the contrast of anything in reality you're looking at, the longer it takes your brain to process what it actually is. One might argue that your brain isn't even really enjoying it, you're just confused! (lol) When you watch med school students look at expensive surgical displays for the first time, it's hilarious to watch for this reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Perhaps. I didn't test FALD on my last calibration run in computer mode as I only use the TV for SDR. The HDR support on this set is god awful for pro calibration, and FALD is usually more harmful to SDR than helpful.

My point with FALD is that it has terrible tone mapping support on this and many other TVs so you want to turn dimming off for SDR in my experiences, that is if you're going for accuracy and not "pop". Even on the highest end LEDs it has minor issues with content in real time.

On this display in particular, the 11 point greyscale is much harder to get accurate (>.5DE) with FALD. Not to mention it tends to blow out white and whiter than whites and crush blacks even after calibration because of borked tone mapping. I'd buy an OLED if I wanted to do anything with HDR and perfect blacks for content, not a 600 budget LED.

HDR will be sub-par anyway until you have at least 4000 nit consumer OLED displays that have zero burn in with at least 95% Rec2020 (not DCI-P3) coverage. So maybe in 10 years or so? Current HDR is a gimmicky train wreck with no real standard. At least with Rec709 you get full gamut coverage that is actually somewhat standardized with bt1886 in terms of gamma etc. I do get why people think modern HDR looks good, the same way people think blown out colors, clipped whites and crushed blacks make their TV look good.

The psychology of it is that the higher the contrast of anything in reality you're looking at, the longer it takes your brain to process what it actually is. One might argue that your brain isn't even really enjoying it, you're just confused! (lol) When you watch med school students look at expensive surgical displays for the first time, it's hilarious to watch for this reason.
😞

2221 - 2240 of 2252 Posts