AVS Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2337 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
Thread rolled back to what I believe is the most recent discussion of this set between actual owners. Off-topic posts and posts by non-owners or never-gonna-be owners removed. Some legitimate posts may have been lost in the rollback. I apologize if that happened but do NOT repost.

If you do not currently own or imminently plan to own this set, do not post here. This thread is for actual owners to share information in order to get the most out of their purchase. It's not a place for non-owners to "school" owners on why the set they chose constitutes a poor decision.

If you don't plan to own this set but still wish to discuss it, start another thread.

Owners: If you see non-owners coming in to trash this set, Report the post or PM me. It's much preferred to handle one or two posts rather than have to roll back a whole day of bickering.

Comments or questions should be PM'd to me. Do NOT post those here.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This article is a bit dated, but I have found no other explanation. Also the Atmos notification has been there for quite some time at least. Amazon Prime Video to get Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos back soon
FWIW I decided to check Jack Ryan S1 Ep2 after checking the above suggested link. I have the TCL 55R625 and it is showing HDR. My Onkyo AVR TX-RZ820 supports DA sound. I had the sound choice between DD+ and DA. I chose DA. My setup is 5.1.2. That's what the AVR shows.
I think the reason for not showing DV is that I do not have an external device. I am at the mercy of the Dish Hopper 3.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
FWIW I decided to check Jack Ryan S1 Ep2 after checking the above suggested link. I have the TCL 55R625 and it is showing HDR. My Onkyo AVR TX-RZ820 supports DA sound. I had the sound choice between DD+ and DA. I chose DA. My setup is 5.1.2. That's what the AVR shows.
I think the reason for not showing DV is that I do not have an external device. I am at the mercy of the Dish Hopper 3.
Just looked at it on my Vizio P series. It shows as HDR-10. It was DV in the past.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I get hdr on Amazon TV shows but do not get the notification for the movies I've tried. This has been the case for a while now, at least the shows are in hdr again though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just received the RokuTV OS 9.4 update on my 65" 65r625 yesterday and the menu has a slightly different look and might be slightly more laggy esp on 4k content. It Auto installed so I was surprised by that. I liked the old menu fonts slightly better, but tv image quality performance looks almost the same as before.

The Bad:. "HDR Bright mode" peak brightness may be broken. It may be lower than before now (in their attempt to stop hdr bright flicker). So HDR Bright mode may not look as good as before.---not completely sure but it seems this may be the case.(hdr normal and hdr dark do not look much different from hdr bright ---- I prefer the way it was before, where all 3 HDR modes looked different from each other.).

But Dolby Vision seems ok and the same as before....
I will continue viewing the tv for HDR modes, but I think we have to complain about this to fix it again.....****
....regardless if we like the update or not we may be at the mercy of the auto updater . ( I don't use hdmi earc so cannot test that, also not sure if it has vrr or not).

The good: mkv videos with Dolby truehd/Atmos audio playing from external hdd via USB works!......only a few movies have no audio but plays the image.... So this is the first time this was corrected by RokuTV/tcl since December.
----
On a side note someone wrote a review on bb about this tv stating it looked better and brighter than newer 65r635 for Dolby vision content so that's good to hear. But now we may need the HDR modes fixed again....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just received the RokuTV OS 9.4 update on my 65" 65r625 yesterday and the menu has a slightly different look and might be a little more laggy esp on 4k content. It Auto installed so I was surprised by that. I liked the old menu fonts slightly better, but tv image quality performance looks almost the same as before.

The Bad:. "HDR Bright mode" peak brightness may have been lowered to stop hdr flicker, but the HDR Bright mode may not look as good as before.---not completely sure but it seems this might be the case.(hdr normal is not much different from hdr bright).

Unsure if Dolby Vision is the same or worse than before. I would guess same......
I will continue viewing the tv to see if peak HDR highlights are slightly worse or not--
....regardless if we like the update or not we may be at the mercy of the auto updater . ( I don't use hdmi earc so cannot test that, also not sure if it has vrr or not).

The good: Dolby Atmos audio from mkv videos playing from external hdd via USB works!......only a few movies have no audio but plays image with hdr fine. So this is first time this was corrected by RokuTV since December.
----
On a side note someone wrote a review on bb about this tv stating it looked better and brighter than newer 65r635 for Dolby vision content so that's good to hear. But I wonder if that was before the update.
Can you see if the FALD is fixed when Game Mode is selected?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can you see if the FALD is fixed when Game Mode is selected?
I dont have a game console like Xbox x to test it with. But I did try it with my HTPC, and game mode with FALD might be working ok but not completely sure. I tried local contrast on high and medium, but not sure if it is working better than before. I'm only paying more attention to HDR.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dont have a game console like Xbox x to test it with. But I did try it with my HTPC, and game mode with FALD might be working ok but not completely sure. I tried local contrast on high and medium, but not sure if it is working better than before. I'm only paying more attention to HDR.
Yeah the Game Mode issue should be for any input where it can be activated including HDR even on PC.

Thanks for checking this, hearing it might be fixed by others with the update but I won't believe it till I see it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think we will be the last to get the update, seems they are focusing on the external devices first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got 9.4 here. Seems to have fixed the FALD Game Mode issue finally.

Now I ponder keeping the TV off the internet incase they mess it up with the next update.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 65R625 just got updated to 9.4 and now I have no sound through earc to my Vizio SB36512-F6 sound bar arc input. Anybody else have a problem?

2241 - 2260 of 2337 Posts