AVS Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 2074 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Another Roku firmware update. Iam now on 9.2.2 build 6108-88. I havent checked to see what it does get though. Anyone else have this update? Seems quite in here lately.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does anyone think the defects on my screen are from internal cracks or dead pixels? It's near the bottom on the left. You can zoom on it to see it better. This TV is brand new from Electronic-Express. It wasn't double boxed either like they typically ship it. Needless to say this will be the last time I buy a TV shipped.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Does anyone think the defects on my screen are from internal cracks or dead pixels? It's near the bottom on the left. You can zoom on it to see it better. This TV is brand new from Electronic-Express. It wasn't double boxed either like they typically ship it. Needless to say this will be the last time I buy a TV shipped.

What's wrong with it? What source are you playing?

·
Registered
98 Posts
What's wrong with it? What source are you playing?
This was using the built in Roku, but it doesn't matter which source I'm using. I also have 2 other small clusters of dead pixels that probably exceed the 16 threshold for RMA. In total 3 screen defects with the TV.

However, I'm going to get it exchanged with EE.

·
Registered
36 Posts
no changelog or anything?

no changelog or anything?

sorry if this was brought up ive been off this thread for a bit but is there ever any changelogs with these firmware updates? i noticed that when playing in dolby vision in bright mode and tv is set to brighter it no longer flickers, so that is good but i would like to know what theyre actually fixing/breaking

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any one having issues with Ethernet connectivity on this TV? I can't seem to play 4k content when cabled in. I have tried different cables but most everything I play using the Plex app in 4k just plays for a minute and errors out like it doesn't have enough bandwidth.

When connected to wifi I have no issues with playback. Wondering if there might be something wrong with my Ethernet port on this TV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any one having issues with Ethernet connectivity on this TV? I can't seem to play 4k content when cabled in. I have tried different cables but most everything I play using the Plex app in 4k just plays for a minute and errors out like it doesn't have enough bandwidth.

When connected to wifi I have no issues with playback. Wondering if there might be something wrong with my Ethernet port on this TV.
Mine is connected via Ethernet and I have had zero issues with it.

·
Registered
598 Posts

Is that a piece of plastic or something between the panel and glass? Is it always there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another Roku firmware update. Iam now on 9.2.2 build 6108-88. I havent checked to see what it does get though. Anyone else have this update? Seems quite in here lately.
I am new so not sure what is quiet in here or what is not. But I would guess that this time of year has pretty busy with Xmas and such. I know I have been struggling for any extras time and by the looks of all the traffic picking up with congested parking lots, it seems a lot of people are out and about.

So did you figure out anything on that update build 6108-88?

Just some wild speculation, wonder if the number is split up..like the first part of the number (9.2.2) could be be roku software/app related then maybe the latter digits (6108-88) l are more specific to TCL/hardware?
Or something like that

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just setup my new 65R625 and can only get PCM to my receiver while using an optical cable. It’a an older Onkyo receiver and optical or coax are my only audio connections. I can get Dolby with my DVD player and my old Panasonic plasma with no problems. I’ve tried both dolby digital and dolby digital/dts. Is it just not supported?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't been on I'm awhile however I got the 9.2 update. Does the Local Dimming still crush blacka on High? I kept it on medium. Anyone?
I can use the High setting with DV content and Cable, but HDR forces me to use the Medium setting combined with HDR Dark. Any other combination is too dark. With DV, the Normal picture setting works great with High dimming. High as works with regular SDR content like cable in Movie picture mode and Normal brightness.
Gamma: I do have to set this to 2.0 for HDR content. The default 2.2 works fine for everything else. I'm on software ver 9.2.2 now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got this TV Sunday. I'm reading through all the posts I'm on page 12. But I had to jump to the end to post this pic and see if you guys see the banding issue As well. I don't know if it's my eyes or shadows. I know it's there in the corners but I think I see it more and I think I see the vertical banding. Tell me what you think. This is a 5% white screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just got this TV Sunday. I'm reading through all the posts I'm on page 12. But I had to jump to the end to post this pic and see if you guys see the banding issue As well. I don't know if it's my eyes or shadows. I know it's there in the corners but I think I see it more and I think I see the vertical banding. Tell me what you think. This is a 5% white screen.

Look nearly identical to mine, a few pages back I posted it. In regular content I don't notice it, or it doesn't bother me. I think that's the best you're gonna get. Yellowing is far better and less noticeable then grey bar DSE, which was more apparent in last years model.

Just don't run anymore tests and just enjoy content. See how you feel after a week or so. I was critical of mine but that nagging feeling has mostly gone away now that I've seen the best this TV has to offer. Keep your color tone warm as it should be, and the whites will look fairly nice and the yellow should get pretty lost in normal content. Or calibrate the white balance accordingly, and it should be fine.

I'd be more worried about the other functionalities. This TV has a ton of problems other than minor DSE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What settings do you have set up? Also I do you tell me to just enjoy it and then say there’s other problems can you please explain? I only have it a few days. What should I be looking for?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What settings do you have set up? Also I do you tell me to just enjoy it and then say there’s other problems can you please explain? I only have it a few days. What should I be looking for?

sounds like he got a bad panel, ive had zero issues with my TV besides the flickering while on bright mode but that was fixed last update

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Prime Video. Only have it a few days but every time I open prime video the logo pops up and the set seems to flicker a bit when the logo is on the screen anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi all. I wanted to add that the latest firmware update (9.2.2 I think) completely fixed the severe audio sync issues I was having with my 55R625 over ARC to a Sonos Beam. ARC was only usable with the TV set to PCM-Stereo. The beam is not surround sound but it definitely sounds better with a Dolby signal being sent to the sound bar.

A couple other points....I had the 2018 model for a couple of weeks before I returned it for this 2019 QLED. The 2018 never had an ARC issue for me. The 2019 does seem to have much better local dimming (less splotchy bloom) in dark scenes. If you watch in a bright room this may not be noticeable but it is quite apparent to me in a dark setting. Didn’t compare side by side but motion seems just as good on the 2019, at least I can’t tell the difference from the 2018. Overall both sets are great but I appreciate the better local dimming as I often watch this TV in a dark setting. Colors look great on both sets.

·
Registered
142 Posts
When I got this TV I was initially disappointed by how washed out the colors were on movie mode. I set it up (temporarily) just below my LG B6 OLED and compared the two. The colors on the TCL were washed out and anemic. The blacks were gray. (Not trying to start an OLED vs LED war here). So, I tweaked the colors a bit and then I used the iPQ app on my Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus and now the colors are close to the OLED. Note that the OLED is NOT professionally calibrated, but I watch it on "isf Expert Dark Room) setting, which has been described by reviewers at the time as the closest thing to a professional calibration without actually getting one.

Anyways, I'm happy with this TV now. Can someone take a look at the gray uniformity and let me know how it fares compared to the other here?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
What settings do you have set up? Also I do you tell me to just enjoy it and then say there’️s other problems can you please explain? I only have it a few days. What should I be looking for?
Overall this TV is great. A few people have had issues with auto detect for audio ARC/HDMI, motion artifacts in fast moving screnes from the the "action smoothing" settings, and other odd and ends.

As for me, I will tell you my issues but overall I think this TV is great, it is phenomenal for my usage. In the living room, It looks great and I get complements all the time when people visit.
Issues for me were just a few things that I had to figure out. Like some of the default settings are strange to me. TCL defaults Action Smoothing (soap opera effect) for several of their video modes such as Normal and Sports, I think it was on even in some of the HDR and Dolby Vision modes. This is a little weird because something like the soap opera effect is subjective to the individual. Some people can't stand it and some can. I think very few love it, at least when it come to all content, few love the soap opera effect for everything they watch. So my issue is a setting that is easily turned off in the menu? I don't like that is defaulted on, that's just me being Nick picky? Well, kinda I guess. I think the soap opera effect is weird on all TVs and I don't like it. I wouldn't watch it on any tv but I find this version by TCL is crazy on this TV. Maybe it's just too aggressive but I have seen people on YouTube say they like it on this set. The majority don't seem to.

This is a personal preference but I think TCL should have defaulted Action Smoothing Off for all modes and you probably wouldn't have ever heard anything about motion issues.
I use all motion processing settings turned off for most streaming videos or Motion Smoothness which looks perfect to me for most content.

Other issue I have had is a couple times playing around with settings, video modes and a bunch of rewind/pausing has caused some of the apps to glitch.

In sound settings watching ultraHD Spiderman Far From Home in the Vudu app, in the virtual surround settings, changing back and forth "on for all", "on for Dolby Atmos", and "off" back and forth would eventually cause the sound to drop about half it's loudness. Skipping back button, RWD, FWD - just anything that reloaded the stream would fix it (including restarting the app). This was repeatable for me, playing with virtual surround settings, changing mid stream back and forth, I could get it to glitch up again. Maybe it's fixed with the new update, maybe not. It's not normal scenario and I am doing things to induce it.

Other little things have occured by messing with a bunch of settings over and over while on streaming content. This is me trying to cause glitch ups. And if you try, you might get something to glitch, I was able to but I haven't found any other that were repeatable issues. This sort of stuff maybe due to a specific app and nothing to do with the TV but I know changing all kinds of settings while going back15s rewinding, pausing, playing can sometimes cause a glitch. The solution, exit the app and restart it.

But, dude. Anyone who ever used a smart TV knows about app glitching and bugs. This is completely a non issue on normal usage. The built in Roku is top notch, it's fast and other than unique circumstances, you really do not need any extra streaming device. It's 4k streaming with HDR and Dolby Vision. It works extremely well and I absolutely love that I do not need a separate box in the way.

But when it comes to having thousands of apps available, there is always a chance of some of them being buggy. It's Roku, which has had it's own bugs to take care of. But that is with all things, all streaming devices. Roku has been way better for me than my Samsung smart TV, today it is an older tv but even when I bought it, I could not ever rely on just the internal smart TV functions. It was not a good stand alone set, so many issues I had to buy a streaming box, which is what turned me on to Roku, which was maybe 4yrs ago.

All modern TVs that come out have their quirks and issues. No brand/model is perfect, nothing ever launched goes 100% without issues for every person that gets one.
Modern TVs are becoming ever more complex. Just for displaying, there is so much going on before a frame ever appears. it is mind blowing how much is involved for each and every frame, one that will exist only for 1/60th of a second on the screen. It has become even that much more complex with "high end" features such as local dimming. It's difficult to grasp the enormity of what all is happening in order to see the video that is playing. Breaking things down from the video source, which is just billions and billions of bits, binary data that differs from source to source. This is more complex than most people understand, the source of video data on a smart TV is vast and it varies in compression and multiple codecs, it's decompiled to be used for raw data each screen frame for video.

The video data is like direct instruction for the illumination of each pixel, thru the combinations of intensity of each sub pixel. At 4k, that scale is far too much data to wrap the mind around. And yet today, so much more than that occurs. It's like the raw data is more or less a guide and the TV set is actively enhancing every frame.

That's just a small touch on this.
Smart TVs are extremely complex. Some models are plagued with issues that may or may not ever get resolved. Others are better off. But none are perfect.
Overall, it's a great TV for me. I am really really happy with it. It's got a lot going on for it, a lot of great and some things you will have to figure out. But it only matters how it works for you. And if you're satisfied.
Unless your set is damaged, it's gonna be hard to go out and get something hands down better anywhere near this price point.

With all TVs you buy, there is a screen lottery. I could not get a decent H9F anywhere and I ended up with my 65R625. And honestly, I don't think I could have been happier. Especially after seeing how slow and crappy my neighbors Android TV performs. It's so slow to the point of unresponsiveness.

1341 - 1360 of 2074 Posts