AVS Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 2093 Posts

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Here is the answer from TCL. I still say bs but I did get an answer back. See attached. I think Roku or TCL screwed up somewhere. When playing 2.0 source receivers shouldn't show DD+. Roku just up mixed everything to DD+ including stereo and that's wrong because us guys with older receivers still like to use the Dolby Prologic II option to up mix 2.0 stereo to 5.1.
Is it actually mixing it up to 5.1 or just converting to DD+? Either way it ruins the ability to convert I suppose. At least they are acknowledging it and planning a fix.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was having the same issue and after messing with my settings for quite a while, the following stopped the reboots and is working for me. In the Plex app I disabled direct play and set streaming quality to Original. In the server under transcode I set the background transcoder x264 preset to very slow. I also set the transcoder quality to make my CPU hurt. Obviously we all have different setups but this worked for me so I thought I would share.
thanks for the reply, im hoping the direct play is fixed because that is the best quality i believe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys new here. Never owned a TCL before but I’ve been hearing the hype lately. I currently have a 2017 vizio E series, tried to make a jump last year to the vizio p series quantum whatever and was not impressed so I returned. What can you guys tell me about your favorite TCL things to convince me to buy. Also does this thing have 120hz and Dolby vision or what? TCL says yes but rtings says no. So little confused there
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Hi guys new here. Never owned a TCL before but I’ve been hearing the hype lately. I currently have a 2017 vizio E series, tried to make a jump last year to the vizio p series quantum whatever and was not impressed so I returned. What can you guys tell me about your favorite TCL things to convince me to buy. Also does this thing have 120hz and Dolby vision or what? TCL says yes but rtings says no. So little confused there
Thanks!

Does not have 120hz, does have DV. I really love mine, picture is excellent.

What didn't you like about the vizio P? I would think they would be fairly similar. Depending on how particular you are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s not that I didn’t necessarily like it, I just couldn’t justify the price for how little if any improvement there was and the sound quality was worse than my current tv as well.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Here is the answer from TCL. I still say bs but I did get an answer back. See attached. I think Roku or TCL screwed up somewhere. When playing 2.0 source receivers shouldn't show DD+. Roku just up mixed everything to DD+ including stereo and that's wrong because us guys with older receivers still like to use the Dolby Prologic II option to up mix 2.0 stereo to 5.1.
Is it actually mixing it up to 5.1 or just converting to DD+? Either way it ruins the ability to convert I suppose. At least they are acknowledging it and planning a fix.
Its actually up mixing to DD+. DD+ can be played in 2 channels up to I believe 15 or 18 channels I forget. So when you are watching a 2 channel source they up mix to DD+ 2 channels. I dont want this because I want to be able to listen a 2 channel source in Dolby Prologic II so it up mixes to 5.1 channels. Now if you switch the tv to PCM 2.0 then yes you will be able to use the Dolby Proligic but thats a pain in the butt to keep switching it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
----
So when you are watching a 2 channel source they up mix to DD+ 2 channels. I dont want this because I want to be able to listen a 2 channel source in Dolby Prologic II so it up mixes to 5.1 channels. Now if you switch the tv to PCM 2.0 then yes you will be able to use the Dolby Prologic but thats a pain in the butt to keep switching it.
Very annoying for me also, in my setup using optical to my old 10+ yr old AV system. I use Dolby Prologic II to upmix 2.0 stereo audio all the time in regular apps. But I hate going all the way to Audio settings buried deep in the roku settings menu and making the change of turning my internal speakers off to allow 5.1 Dolby digital/dts to work through optical. I do the switching almost daily to this tv.
----
I hope the fix is real in 9.3 and maybe it will come at the same time TCL might also add the VRR earc fixes later this year.
And maybe all the problems with playing video files with dolby atmos, and the TV's ability to send Dolby truehd/Atmos output properly to new av systems and dd+ constantly being on for 2.0 sources is all related. So hopefully TCL/roku tech guys figure out how to implement all fixes into the roku settings menu -fixing one thing without breaking another. They just need a better software algorithm to adjust all of this automatically.

·
Registered
36 Posts
im having a different problem where if i use headphones to use private listening with headphones there is a slight delay in the audio, maybe .5 seconds off. anyone have this issue or know a fix?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Well got a reoccurring ''USB device requires external power'' error with no USB stick in it. Support says 7-10 days for part to get to tech, then tech will schedule.

Anyone experience with at home warranty repair?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
As a followup, the repair guy came last night to swap out the board. That fixed the issue but now there are several more, so I'm going to make sure they send me a new TV when I speak to them today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
They called and said they are going to replace TV. Must say, the TCL CS has been very good so far!

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice to hear TCL took care of you with a new tv, mboy. let us know how it goes, hopefully no more issues.

Thanks!
no 120hz on this tcl 6, but tv still looks great 95% of the time. Get the 65" version of this tv if you find a great deal. But if you can wait 10 months for the next Tcl 6 2020 Xmas sales, then get it instead. That one will have a few things ours is missing: 120hz panel with HDMI 2.1, even better blacks and contrast ratio with new mini-leds, a little brighter highlights for hdr and other new features like THX certified game mode,& maybe slightly better motion and higher nits brightness. This tv is already great and will receive a VRR/earc update but newer model should be 3-5% better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve had a 55R625 for a week now and I am very impressed. My panel has very good grey uniformity. I can only notice a dirty screen effect if I run specific tests, never in actual viewing. I wanted to comment on the “iPQ” calibration app as it hasn’t been discussed much and I think it is a game changer going forward. For those that don’t know it is a phone app that calibrates your TV after taking a series of pictures of the screen. It only works with recent TCL 6 and 8 series TVs, as well as only with certain popular phones. I used an iPhone XR. Following some advice from this thread, I did it at night with no other light present; just the TV. I also repeated it three times, getting better each time. My uncalibrated white balance error was around 13, very blue. It is now 1.3. I realize these figures may not be exact, but the difference is incredible. If I switch to an uncalibrated picture mode, it looks awful. I would think other manufacturer’s are going to do something similar given how well this worked, at least for me.

I also wanted to mention upscaling, as you don’t read much about it. It’s great. I play a lot of PS3 outputting 720p and it looks fantastic. So far I couldn’t be happier considering it was $500.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got a long HDMI cord to hook up my PC to 65r625 and windows recognizes it as HDR and the logo pops up, but i cant seem to get it to 1440p resolution? the max setting is 1080?

i have went to display properties and looked around but couldnt figure it out? i would like to get that resolution if possible

it is connected through a male to male HDMI(1.4) cord to display port adapter into my video card (rx480)

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
I just got a long HDMI cord to hook up my PC to 65r625 and windows recognizes it as HDR and the logo pops up, but i cant seem to get it to 1440p resolution? the max setting is 1080?

i have went to display properties and looked around but couldnt figure it out? i would like to get that resolution if possible

it is connected through a male to male HDMI(1.4) cord to display port adapter into my video card (rx480)

The reduced resolution to 1080 might be due to your video card. It may not support anything higher.

·
Registered
31 Posts

It should be possible on your graphics. Maybe you need the latest amd drivers installed. I also wasn't sure if a better HDMI cord rated to 2.0 was needed, but purchased one from home depot around $10 just to be sure.
Make sure your Roku TV settings under INPUTS is set to HDMI 2.0 (not auto). I have my 65r625 working great at 4k resolutions using an older GTX 970. Also get into PC display settings & make sure it is set to Full RGB. I am using MPC-BE player with madvr settings getting perfect HDR from video files. (I found that turning up the Nvidia image settings Brightness to 62 and Contrast to 72 makes the HDR videos image pop more, but turn it back down to defaults when using PC for everything else. Your AMD gfx may vary.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
ok, i guess the adapter was the problem because now i can get all resolutions with the cable i have, thanks for the responses. RX 480 is kind of a beast still, running dual monitor setup and the TV as well.

1601 - 1620 of 2093 Posts