AVS Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 2093 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’️ve had a 55R625 for a week now and I am very impressed. My panel has very good grey uniformity. I can only notice a dirty screen effect if I run specific tests, never in actual viewing. I wanted to comment on the “iPQ” calibration app as it hasn’️t been discussed much and I think it is a game changer going forward. For those that don’️t know it is a phone app that calibrates your TV after taking a series of pictures of the screen. It only works with recent TCL 6 and 8 series TVs, as well as only with certain popular phones. I used an iPhone XR. Following some advice from this thread, I did it at night with no other light present; just the TV. I also repeated it three times, getting better each time. My uncalibrated white balance error was around 13, very blue. It is now 1.3. I realize these figures may not be exact, but the difference is incredible. If I switch to an uncalibrated picture mode, it looks awful. I would think other manufacturer’️s are going to do something similar given how well this worked, at least for me.

I also wanted to mention upscaling, as you don’️t read much about it. It’️s great. I play a lot of PS3 outputting 720p and it looks fantastic. So far I couldn’️t be happier considering it was $500.

I came back to talk about the same thing. I just randomly searched for the IPQ engine on my iphone and saw that it was finally available, after a few months of just enjoying my TV and forgetting about all the calibration needed. I had it tuned in the best I could for each picture setting and I've been loving it. I don't even remember what made me think to download the IPQ, haha. Guess I was just bored.

Anyway! This thing is great! Here are my results just after 2 tests and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's not a drastic difference for my set, since I have a decent eye for accuracy for my pre-existing settings, but every little bit helps! I do notice a slightly improved difference in some of my go-to "calibration" scenes.

1. First test from raw

2. 2nd to tune it in a bit better...

I'll probably give it a few more shots to tune it in even further, get the pictures straighter and more focused and straight on to see if I can get it "perfect" lol. I've had it crash on me once, but everything has been good since then. I figured it was becasue my phone was near death though.

I see that it does apply to all picture settings from "movie" to "vivid" as it's mainly the white balance calibration from what I can tell. Anyway, it's staying on Movie for the majority of the time anyway, and the Dolby Vision Dark and Normal looks slightly better. Still getting some backlight fluctuations with the "bright" HDR setting, which is aggravating, but, oh well.

This launch set is still workin fine otherwise. Still crossing my fingers it holds out for the rest of the year! Don't let me down TCL.

Also, to touch on upscaling, I had said before that upscaling is probably this TV's greatest feature. Standard Blu Rays look utterly spectacular, far better than my previous Samsung. So much so I'm not as much of a stickler about watching strictly 4K copies. Blu rays can provide some stunning, often much brighter results for daytime viewing. And classic games look perfect. A modded PS Classic, Sega Genesis Mini, and 360 games through my X1 all look spectacular, often jaw dropping.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I just got the 65” yesterday for my bedroom. I have a professionally calibrated LG OLED in my living room, but I’m not willing to pay for the same on the TCL...but I am struggling with the settings. I was just going to use the recommenced CNET and RTINGS settings, alongside the iPQ app. Unfortunately neither site does a particularly good job of laying out all of the settings for SDR, HDR10 and DV.

Things often look slightly washed out, but I’m not sure if I’m just convincing myself of that. Has anyone put together a full list of their settings for those three modes?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just got the 65” yesterday for my bedroom. I have a professionally calibrated LG OLED in my living room, but I’m not willing to pay for the same on the TCL...but I am struggling with the settings. I was just going to use the recommenced CNET and RTINGS settings, alongside the iPQ app. Unfortunately neither site does a particularly good job of laying out all of the settings for SDR, HDR10 and DV.

Things often look slightly washed out, but I’m not sure if I’m just convincing myself of that. Has anyone put together a full list of their settings for those three modes?
I,too, was disappointed when comparing my OLED and TCL side by side. The movie mode looks washed out on the TCL. Not sure what to do other than just accept that the TCL is never gonna look as good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, I don't think OLED and LCD's should be compared anyway haha. It's a world of difference. You have to judge them for what they both are.

The color needs to be pumped up from anywhere to 80 to 100 in my experience, to at least match say Samsungs movie mode or HDR. I'm sure you've went into the phone app to fine tune the gamma and color space to get a bit more depth. The IPQ calibration app should also handle the white balance to help accuracy too. And Warm should be used, as "cool" or "normal" actually seems to decrease the overall brightness of the picture.

"Normal HDR" mode also seems to provide better results than "Dark" HDR from my experience. Especially with Dolby Vision. I keep the brightness at 50 to not lose detail in blacks, and the color at 100 to get the best results, gamma at 2.2 or 1.8 on certain occasions.

You can't really go off of any internet posted calibration notes, as every panel is different, you kind of just have to eyeball it to the very best of your ability, and whip out the IPQ app.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The calibration did the trick and resolved my issues. One thing I discovered was that the “color space” needed to be set to native or custom with valid inputs. Even with the iPQ app, my greyscale was off as well as the color primaries and secondaries. I have a very flat greyscale with a 2.2 gamma now. No more washed out appearance.

My only complaint is that the “TV Brightness” is universal. I would really prefer it to be tied to a picture format (SDR, HDR10, DV). Having to toggle it back and forth depending on what I’m watching is annoying. Oh well. Everything else is great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
HD master out of curiosity would you be able to post some of your settings? Unfortunately my phone isn't compatible with the app. I know it's a lot to post and settings are unit and environment dependent but it might give somebody (me) a good starting point. If not I completely understand.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
HD master out of curiosity would you be able to post some of your settings? Unfortunately my phone isn't compatible with the app. I know it's a lot to post and settings are unit and environment dependent but it might give somebody (me) a good starting point. If not I completely understand.

Yep, I can do that in the morning. Took an Ambien, so it will have to wait until then lol.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The calibration did the trick and resolved my issues. One thing I discovered was that the “color space” needed to be set to native or custom with valid inputs. Even with the iPQ app, my greyscale was off as well as the color primaries and secondaries. I have a very flat greyscale with a 2.2 gamma now. No more washed out appearance.

My only complaint is that the “TV Brightness” is universal. I would really prefer it to be tied to a picture format (SDR, HDR10, DV). Having to toggle it back and forth depending on what I’m watching is annoying. Oh well. Everything else is great.

When you did the calibration did you leave local dimming on?

Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
When you did the calibration did you leave local dimming on?

Just curious. Thanks.

I can’t remember. I’ll take a look when I get home from work.

To be honest, one of the biggest improvements came when I switched the color space via the app. The luminance of both primaries and secondaries was too high. That, coupled with a consistent 2.2 gamma and a smooth grayscale really did wonders.

The only area where my LG OLED beats it is when it comes to its ability to go to a completely 0 IRE. The truth is that this TCL has far better black levels than any LCD I’ve ever owned though and I’m very, very impressed. It would honestly be hard for me to choose one other the other at this point.

Okay, well the other area is that the LG is a bit more capable in terms of having completely different calibration settings for each picture mode on each input. Maybe the TCL can do that via the service menu, but I don’t care enough to dig that deep.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can’t remember. I’ll take a look when I get home from work.

To be honest, one of the biggest improvements came when I switched the color space via the app. The luminance of both primaries and secondaries was too high. That, coupled with a consistent 2.2 gamma and a smooth grayscale really did wonders.

The only area where my LG OLED beats it is when it comes to its ability to go to a completely 0 IRE. The truth is that this TCL has far better black levels than any LCD I’ve ever owned though and I’m very, very impressed. It would honestly be hard for me to choose one other the other at this point.

Okay, well the other area is that the LG is a bit more capable in terms of having completely different calibration settings for each picture mode on each input. Maybe the TCL can do that via the service menu, but I don’t care enough to dig that deep.

Sorry ment did you temporally turn local dimming off while calibrating. Think I read somewhere that having local dimming on during calibration can give weird results.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Here is where I ended up after my calibration runs last night with Chromapure and an i1D3. I don’t have the graphs at the moment.

DV/HDR10

TV Brightness: Brighter
Picture Size: Auto
Picture Mode: Dark HDR/DV
Local Contrast: High
Backlight: 100
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 20 (I don’t see a difference 0-20)
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: Warm
Action Smoothing: Greyed Out
Natural Cinema: On
LED Motion Clarity: Off
Gamma: 2.2
Noise Reduction: Off
11 Pt WB: SEE BELOW
Color Space: Auto for HDR10 and Native for Dolby Vision

SDR

TV Brightness: Darker at night, any other mode to compensate for ambient light during the day.
Picture Size: Auto
Picture Mode: Movie
Local Contrast: High
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 10 (I don’t see a difference 0-20)
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: Warm
Action Smoothing: Greyed Out
Natural Cinema: On
LED Motion Clarity: Off
Gamma: 2.4
Noise Reduction: Off
11 Pt WB: SEE BELOW
Color Space: Native

11 Pt WB:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks hd master very similar to my settings, but I do bump my color up quite a bit so I can get more pop. Definitely not accurate but it's pleasing to my eye.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I’️ve had a 55R625 for a week now and I am very impressed. My panel has very good grey uniformity. I can only notice a dirty screen effect if I run specific tests, never in actual viewing. I wanted to comment on the “iPQâ€Â calibration app as it hasn’️t been discussed much and I think it is a game changer going forward. For those that don’️t know it is a phone app that calibrates your TV after taking a series of pictures of the screen. It only works with recent TCL 6 and 8 series TVs, as well as only with certain popular phones. I used an iPhone XR. Following some advice from this thread, I did it at night with no other light present; just the TV. I also repeated it three times, getting better each time. My uncalibrated white balance error was around 13, very blue. It is now 1.3. I realize these figures may not be exact, but the difference is incredible. If I switch to an uncalibrated picture mode, it looks awful. I would think other manufacturer’️s are going to do something similar given how well this worked, at least for me.

I also wanted to mention upscaling, as you don’️t read much about it. It’️s great. I play a lot of PS3 outputting 720p and it looks fantastic. So far I couldn’️t be happier considering it was $500.

I came back to talk about the same thing. I just randomly searched for the IPQ engine on my iphone and saw that it was finally available, after a few months of just enjoying my TV and forgetting about all the calibration needed. I had it tuned in the best I could for each picture setting and I've been loving it. I don't even remember what made me think to download the IPQ, haha. Guess I was just bored.

Anyway! This thing is great! Here are my results just after 2 tests and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's not a drastic difference for my set, since I have a decent eye for accuracy for my pre-existing settings, but every little bit helps! I do notice a slightly improved difference in some of my go-to "calibration" scenes.

1. First test from raw

2. 2nd to tune it in a bit better...

I'll probably give it a few more shots to tune it in even further, get the pictures straighter and more focused and straight on to see if I can get it "perfect" lol. I've had it crash on me once, but everything has been good since then. I figured it was becasue my phone was near death though.

I see that it does apply to all picture settings from "movie" to "vivid" as it's mainly the white balance calibration from what I can tell. Anyway, it's staying on Movie for the majority of the time anyway, and the Dolby Vision Dark and Normal looks slightly better. Still getting some backlight fluctuations with the "bright" HDR setting, which is aggravating, but, oh well.

This launch set is still workin fine otherwise. Still crossing my fingers it holds out for the rest of the year! Don't let me down TCL.

Also, to touch on upscaling, I had said before that upscaling is probably this TV's greatest feature. Standard Blu Rays look utterly spectacular, far better than my previous Samsung. So much so I'm not as much of a stickler about watching strictly 4K copies. Blu rays can provide some stunning, often much brighter results for daytime viewing. And classic games look perfect. A modded PS Classic, Sega Genesis Mini, and 360 games through my X1 all look spectacular, often jaw dropping.
That's great. When I got my 65 " I did the calibration with the app and after it was calibrated very little was changed from before and after. I think the before was 1.8 and after was 1.5 or something like that I forget the numbers but my tv was pretty much calibrated from the factory. I was pretty stoked.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks hd master very similar to my settings, but I do bump my color up quite a bit so I can get more pop. Definitely not accurate but it's pleasing to my eye.
Same here. I have mine set to

HDR/DV

Picture-Dark HDR/DV sometimes Normal HDR depends on the source..
Local- High
BL-100
Brightness-50 or 51
Contrast-100
Sharp-20
Color-50-55 for HD and DV
Tint-0

SDR.
TV brightness-Brighter
Picture-Movie
LC-High
BL-20
Brightness-50 or 51
Contrast-98 or 99
Color-50 or 55.
Tint-0

These settings are from consumer reports and they look the best in a dark environment

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know... if I rent/buy a UHD movie on iTunes, say Midsommar, which is available in Dolby Vision from their platform... would I be able to view it properly (UHD + DV HDR) on the Apple TV app from Roku? Or do I need an Apple TV 4K to view it properly?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Does anyone know... if I rent/buy a UHD movie on iTunes, say Midsommar, which is available in Dolby Vision from their platform... would I be able to view it properly (UHD + DV HDR) on the Apple TV app from Roku? Or do I need an Apple TV 4K to view it properly?
Yes but you wont get a menu screen like you get with ATV4k Box like the special features or even scene displays. I think it just jumps right into the movie when played on the apple app on Roku devices. Atleast that's how it's been for me..

1621 - 1640 of 2093 Posts