AVS Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2073 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Since CES teasers and previews in January, been waiting for the TCL 2020 Series 6 to be released. Was supposed to be Q2, but with the pandemic things got delayed. Anyone heard any news?

Your best bet is to reach out to someone like Robert Zohn at Value Electronics. He’s a very high profile and well connected person in the consumer electronics world. If anyone has a beat on release dates in the retail world, it’s him. Both he and his wife are absolutely terrific.

valueelectronicsDOTcom

His website is a bit low-tech, but he’s not lol.

My 2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 Calibrated Settings

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your best bet is to reach out to someone like Robert Zohn at Value Electronics. He’s a very high profile and well connected person in the consumer electronics world. If anyone has a beat on release dates in the retail world, it’s him. Both he and his wife are absolutely terrific.

valueelectronicsDOTcom

His website is a bit low-tech, but he’s not lol.

My thoughts (speculation) is it would eventually trickle out to the 2019 6 series last after the 2020 tv’s are to be released with it. I would guess it would be exclusive to the 2020’s as inventive to upgrade for a few months. I am also looking forward to it as my 65R625 is my current PS4 gaming TV. But I wonder if the coronavirus has changed my speculation.

(Edit: reading over the TCL CES website page states 2019 series will have the update before the 2020 series releases. Hope that is still the case.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, I currently have 60" LG plasma. Time to get 4K TV. Was looking at TCL Series 6 65", but now seriously considering 75". But I want the 2020 updated hardware features promised at CES -- like HDMI 2.1, variable refresh rates and eARC -- plus this mentioned below. So holding out for this year's models.

Do you have a link to the info regarding the updated hardware features for the 2020 TCL sets?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yeah, I currently have 60" LG plasma. Time to get 4K TV. Was looking at TCL Series 6 65", but now seriously considering 75". But I want the 2020 updated hardware features promised at CES -- like HDMI 2.1, variable refresh rates and eARC -- plus this mentioned below. So holding out for this year's models.
Do you have a link to the info regarding the updated hardware features for the 2020 TCL sets?
https://www.techhive.com/article/3511696/tcl-talks-roku-tv-ready-tech-8k-uhd-for-the-us-and-mini-led-strategy-for-2020.html

https://www.techradar.com/news/tcl-6-series-tvs-could-bring-oled-quality-to-budget-6-series-thanks-to-mini-led

·
Registered
146 Posts
So I watched Jaws yesterday in the Vudu app and it was in Dolby Vision. Anyone noticed that the local dimming is not great after the update? Granted, this is first 4K Dolby Vision movie I have watched since the Matrix trilogy last year, but I feel like the dimming was fine on those. It was mostly noticeable in the black bars obviously. Didn't take my light in a scene to create some flashlight effect in the bars :/

·
UHD Addict
37,066 Posts
So I watched Jaws yesterday in the Vudu app and it was in Dolby Vision. Anyone noticed that the local dimming is not great after the update? Granted, this is first 4K Dolby Vision movie I have watched since the Matrix trilogy last year, but I feel like the dimming was fine on those. It was mostly noticeable in the black bars obviously. Didn't take my light in a scene to create some flashlight effect in the bars :/
Yes. Things changed after one if the updates last year.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

·
Registered
36 Posts
i cant seem to get the mobile IPQ app to work. it worked once before when i was using pro max 11 but now i just get like a gray screen with instructions on what to do.

ive factory reset the TV, made sure theyre on the same network/ deleted apps on both tv and phones, tried different phone

does anyone have any tips on how to get this to work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has there been any word if they plan on on fixing local contrast for game mode or is this an intended change? I can sorta see why it might be intended as it’s presenting games more accurately without the aggressive darkening when a lot of black is on the screen but I’d prefer that this was an option.
Is this possibly related to the “THX Certified Game Mode“ they announced earlier this year?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why are TCL devices so heavy?

i have been looking at 8 series (75 inch) and now 6 series for a 55 inch to be wall-mounted. One reoccurring feature of these sets is they are all significantly heavier than their competition. For example the 55inch is 15 -20 lbs heavier than an equivalent Samsung and the 75inch 8 series comes in at nearly 100 lbs. Does anyone know why this is???? :confused:

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
i have been looking at 8 series (75 inch) and now 6 series for a 55 inch to be wall-mounted. One reoccurring feature of these sets is they are all significantly heavier than their competition. For example the 55inch is 15 -20 lbs heavier than an equivalent Samsung and the 75inch 8 series comes in at nearly 100 lbs. Does anyone know why this is???? :confused:
They don't seem overly heavy to me. Not referring to comparing specs but by the weight of the three that I have. Any mount that holds a 65" should hole one of these. Unless the 8 series is way heavier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone so I just purchased this television, the TCL 6-series QLED. It’s my first time having a QLED as well as a television with full specifications. I had a 4K before but no Dolby Vision just standard HDR. I have the settings to match HD Master’s and I’m not sure if this is just the proper way I was supposed to be seeing these films, but the dark scenes seem sometimes incredibly dark to the point where I can’t really see them too clearly. Bright scenes seem fine, but darker scenes are tough.

My settings are exactly what HD Master has, my gamma is 2.0. I’m not sure if this is the way true HDR is supposed to look and I’ve just been missing out or if maybe something is wrong. The dark scenes aren't impossible to see but I feel like from what I’m used to, they are even more dark and I’m not sure if that’s just Dolby Vision and QLED technology that I’m not used to.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Hey everyone so I just purchased this television, the TCL 6-series QLED. It’s my first time having a QLED as well as a television with full specifications. I had a 4K before but no Dolby Vision just standard HDR. I have the settings to match HD Master’s and I’m not sure if this is just the proper way I was supposed to be seeing these films, but the dark scenes seem sometimes incredibly dark to the point where I can’t really see them too clearly. Bright scenes seem fine, but darker scenes are tough.

My settings are exactly what HD Master has, my gamma is 2.0. I’m not sure if this is the way true HDR is supposed to look and I’ve just been missing out or if maybe something is wrong. The dark scenes aren't impossible to see but I feel like from what I’m used to, they are even more dark and I’m not sure if that’s just Dolby Vision and QLED technology that I’m not used to.

I would recommend using settings that look good to you. Every display is different so what may be good for his TV may be bad for yours. I haven't personally noticed that DV is extra dark. But I do tend to like my display on the brighter side. Although pretty sure I am using HDR Dark and DV Dark. Maybe raise the brightness a bit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone so I just purchased this television, the TCL 6-series QLED. It’️s my first time having a QLED as well as a television with full specifications. I had a 4K before but no Dolby Vision just standard HDR. I have the settings to match HD Master’️s and I’️m not sure if this is just the proper way I was supposed to be seeing these films, but the dark scenes seem sometimes incredibly dark to the point where I can’️t really see them too clearly. Bright scenes seem fine, but darker scenes are tough.

My settings are exactly what HD Master has, my gamma is 2.0. I’️m not sure if this is the way true HDR is supposed to look and I’️ve just been missing out or if maybe something is wrong. The dark scenes aren't impossible to see but I feel like from what I’️m used to, they are even more dark and I’️m not sure if that’️s just Dolby Vision and QLED technology that I’️m not used to.

I would recommend using settings that look good to you. Every display is different so what may be good for his TV may be bad for yours. I haven't personally noticed that DV is extra dark. But I do tend to like my display on the brighter side. Although pretty sure I am using HDR Dark and DV Dark. Maybe raise the brightness a bit?
I definitely agree with you but I’m just not sure if maybe this is my first time experiencing a combination of Dolby Vision and QLED and I’m just simply not used to it? Like I said I had a 4K television with HDR but no Dolby Vision and the dark scenes were not as dark as this. I just put in invisible man and there was a scene where she’s walking through her house and it was so dark I could barely even see anything on the picture. Now I’m not sure if that’s the true intention again with Dolby Vision and QLED or if something is wrong. All I know is I can’t brighten those scenes without a gray filter ruining it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Personal Opinion Ahead:

Since I'm always going to have a media console anyway for cable box, Blu-Ray player, gaming system, disks storage, I simply place the big screen TV on that console. I also currently have a Sony 5.1 Surround sound receiver in that console. With the TV on the table, besides not worrying about weight, I also don't have to worry about hiding cords trailing down the wall.

In the future, I will get a Sonos Arc soundbar, and it's going to sit right in front of the TV on that media console.

When I see a TV mounted on a wall above a media console, to me it always looks a little silly? Waste of a perfectly flat, stable surface... ;) I know others have totally different setups, but I've seen that many, many times in pictures and I never understand it.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Personal Opinion Ahead:

Since I'm always going to have a media console anyway for cable box, Blu-Ray player, gaming system, disks storage, I simply place the big screen TV on that console. I also currently have a Sony 5.1 Surround sound receiver in that console. With the TV on the table, besides not worrying about weight, I also don't have to worry about hiding cords trailing down the wall.

In the future, I will get a Sonos Arc soundbar, and it's going to sit right in front of the TV on that media console.

When I see a TV mounted on a wall above a media console, to me it always looks a little silly? Waste of a perfectly flat, stable surface... ;) I know others have totally different setups, but I've seen that many, many times in pictures and I never understand it.
For sure totally subjective, but mounted on the wall with no cables showing is sooo much cleaner. :)

Reactions: dean1955

·
Registered
638 Posts
From an ambiguous PM:

Re: TCL 4K TV 55R625
Transistorious said:
What is your point?
What's my point about what? I think I write fairly coherently... Quote whichever post you have a question about publicly and tell me what you don't understand. Or just try reading it again. :)

I'm not going to reply to PMs. You seem to be referencing the wall mounting comment, which I clearly labelled as my personal opinion about some wall mounting I've seen, and someone else followed up and gave theirs. Pretty much end of the discussion?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I did as you suggested and Robert graciously replied:

Thanks for the email!

Very kind of the AVS Forum member to reference me and my company! My lifetime passion and career is premium audio and video.

I like TCL TVs, but as you noted we are not dealers as TCL selected distribution through the large sellers like Costco and Amazon and sorry to say I do not know much about their product schedule. I do visit TCL at CES and spend much time with their engineers and product planning manager, but not any time with the sales team.

My favorite 4K HDR TV for 2020 is Sony’s new X900H series. Excellent blacks, the best video processing for motion resolution and up-conversion of low resolution content, like cable. Also all Sony XBR Bravia series TVs go through Sony’s full Q/C process and calibration at the factory. Sony sets the white point and calibrates the color fidelity and color volume. So out of the box in the “Custom” picture mode you get excellent picture quality.

The 75” X900H is in sale for $(price removed) and the 65” X900H is $(price removed). All of our prices include delivery to your home and we do not collect sales tax on orders delivered outside of NY State.

Hope this helps and please email me anytime wit any a/v questions, comments or interests.
So, just have to wait a little longer for the 2020 TCL models to be released. My plan is to buy Black Friday, either a 75" Series 6 or 65" Series 8. I'll make up my mind once I see specs and reviews. I have owned 60" Sony Bravia 1080p in the past and currently own 60" LG plasma 1080p, but time to update to 4K and TCL over the past year has really intrigued me. People whose opinions I respect have praised them. I almost bought 65" R625 last Black Friday -- but held off hearing about upgrades coming to the 2020 sets.

Reactions: HD-Master

·
Registered
662 Posts
From an ambiguous PM:

Re: TCL 4K TV 55R625

What's my point about what? I think I write fairly coherently... Quote whichever post you have a question about publicly and tell me what you don't understand. Or just try reading it again. :)

I'm not going to reply to PMs. You seem to be referencing the wall mounting comment, which I clearly labelled as my personal opinion about some wall mounting I've seen, and someone else followed up and gave theirs. Pretty much end of the discussion?
Your #1976 post in response to #1970 does NOT have any relevance to this thread. The same applies to post #1970 .
That's IT.

1961 - 1980 of 2073 Posts