AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1072 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok so I started having this problem which started yesterday. I can't seem to stop my tcl from having the soap opera effect. I reset to factory settings the other day as it wasn't responding to the remote commands. Fine. Got it set all up and it will not stop the SO effect. All enhancements are off, ..smoothing, clarity, game mode motion clarity all off. From the app I have it set to movie more, 2.2 gamma, color normal. Ive unplugged the TV but nothing stops the effect. I can't stand the look. Should I reset it again? Am I missing something?
There is a thread in the Roku forum where they are asking for information to help in solving this problem.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My TCL 75R615 has been performing flawlessly since I purchased it 3 months ago.

I have it set to default to the HDMI/ARC input so upon start up, it displays my satellite TV broadcast (that's going through an AVR).

For the past few mornings when I turn it on, I notice the status indicator continues to give a slow pulsing blink for about 30-60 seconds after the TV appears to be fully booted and performing normally. I'd just assumed it was updating software or an app. Nothing else seems abnormal while the light is pulsing. After it does this, I've occasionally checked the update screen, and the last update remains August 8 12:08 am. It indicates the last check was just a couple minutes after I turned on the TV, so I assume it checks every time it's powered up. I've never paid attention to this previously.

This morning, when I turned it on, it did not do the prolonged slow blinking, but turned on as usual and began displaying the satellite broadcast like usual. Then after a few seconds, the screen went black followed by the TCL red logo screen. It stayed on this screen for several seconds and acted like it was rebooting. It then appropriately went to the correct input and began displaying the satellite image like usual. Once again, the last update remains August 8 12:08 am, and the last check was this morning. I will note the uptime says 4 minutes. (I don't know if that resets every time the TV is power cycled or if it's supposed to correspond to the firmware version life. I've not paid attention to this previously.)

I'm assuming what happened this morning is that the TV rebooted, but I don't know why.

All my settings were retained including picture settings.

I do not have Fast TV Start enabled.

Software version: 9.3.0
Build: 4194-30

·
Registered
998 Posts
Does anyone know the Directv remote control pairing code for the TCL 75-615R? It was never setup when Directv swapped receivers but I found a sticky note with unreadable instructions and the code 11756. TIA for any help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a thread in the Roku forum where they are asking for information to help in solving this problem.

Which Roku forum are you referring to? I am having the same issue. It is bad enough that my wife noticed it. I have noticed on tv/streaming and while playing ps4. It makes playing certain games impossible. I keep going back and checking the settings and everything is off.

What is the remote button sequence to reset that was mentioned?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just ordered on of these TVs from Best Buy Canada (price was right as I think they are pushing them out for the new model). I am also planning to get a receiver for it. Does anyone have any experience with ARC and CEC and receivers. As in, which brand of receivers will CEC (if any) work with this TV.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just ordered on of these TVs from Best Buy Canada (price was right as I think they are pushing them out for the new model). I am also planning to get a receiver for it. Does anyone have any experience with ARC and CEC and receivers. As in, which brand of receivers will CEC (if any) work with this TV.
I'm using it with a Pioneer VSX-LX304 and the CEC works fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm using it with a Pioneer VSX-LX304 and the CEC works fine.

And ARC works fine as well, passes Dolby Atmos just fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
has anyone had any relief or help regarding the SOE that plagues this tv. I had it pop up a few months ago and did a factory reset and it was fine for months. I'm ok with that as I don't use the smart features as a I have a shield. well it happened a few days ago, reset it.. but only a few days later it pops up. that is unacceptable. can't stand wat hing a movie like it's a video game or daytime soap. any ideas or info on fixing this?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
has anyone had any relief or help regarding the SOE that plagues this tv. I had it pop up a few months ago and did a factory reset and it was fine for months. I'm ok with that as I don't use the smart features as a I have a shield. well it happened a few days ago, reset it.. but only a few days later it pops up. that is unacceptable. can't stand wat hing a movie like it's a video game or daytime soap. any ideas or info on fixing this?

Forgive my ignorance. What's "SOE"?

EDIT: Nevermind. "soap opera effect". Sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 75R615 on order from Best Buy.

All my devices will be connected via AV receiver with HDMI to the TV.

My initial thoughts are that I have no intention of using the internet connected features (I use SHIELD TV for this). As a result, I would like to skip the internet connection setup altogether.

If I skip the internet setup:

1. Can I still use the (*) button to adjust semi-advanced picture settings? I understand internet would be required to drill into the "Expert Picture Settings" since it uses the Roku app.
  2. Will the TV periodically nag me to set up the internet connection?
  3. I realize this will limit my ability to update FW to USB only. Barring any hardware connection problems, I don't see why I would need to continually update the FW. I suspect most of the pushed updates are probably app-related. Am I wrong?

Thanks!
Thought you might be interested that you can upgrade your remote and effectively have the 617 by buying the voice remote on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thought you might be interested that you can upgrade your remote and effectively have the 617 by buying the voice remote on Amazon.
I'm assuming you didn't mean this for me. That's been known for a while, now. I have no desire to upgrade the remote. I certainly have no desire to have a voice remote of any kind. I don't even use the stock remote. I use my Harmony remote for everything. If your comment was directed to me, then I apologize for not seeing the connection. I can be dim sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm assuming you didn't mean this for me. That's been known for a while, now. I have no desire to upgrade the remote. I certainly have no desire to have a voice remote of any kind. I don't even use the stock remote. I use my Harmony remote for everything. If your comment was directed to me, then I apologize for not seeing the connection. I can be dim sometimes.
Sorry personally hate ir remotes and considering the price points was just trying to be helpful. New to site and am exploring a fix for the stereo audio drifting in and out using a yas 207 soundbar on all channels. Also I completely agree that a voice remote is beyond annoying.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The SOE has now happened to me as well. How do we fix this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The SOE has now happened to me as well. How do we fix this?
I don’t normally reply to post as I usually feel like others are much more knowledgeable than me on these topics. However, I felt the need to reply as I just spent half of my day yesterday with this issue.

A little background. I have had a TCL 75r615 for a little over a year. I never had any issues with SOE since I first purchased it and turned off all the motion smoothing settings for all inputs. STARTING YESTERAY, all content (1080, 4K, SD, HDR10, DV) via all inputs (including the onboard Roku apps) were displaying soap opera effect. This was a complete change from the previous day, as all was fine when watching on Friday. I don’t know if there was some auto firmware update, but I know I changed nothing. I spent most of the day trying to figure out if there was some issue with forcing 60fps on 24fps content. I troubleshooted for about 4 hours without resolution.

I ended up doing a factory reset on the TV last night and it fixed the issue.

I don’t know if others have better advice, but I thought it may save you a day’s frustration to know a factory reset resolved the SOE at least in my case.

Hope you get it resolved either way.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don’t normally reply to post as I usually feel like others are much more knowledgeable than me on these topics. However, I felt the need to reply as I just spent half of my day yesterday with this issue.

A little background. I have had a TCL 75r615 for a little over a year. I never had any issues with SOE since I first purchased it and turned off all the motion smoothing settings for all inputs. STARTING YESTERAY, all content (1080, 4K, SD, HDR10, DV) via all inputs (including the onboard Roku apps) were displaying soap opera effect. This was a complete change from the previous day, as all was fine when watching on Friday. I don’t know if there was some auto firmware update, but I know I changed nothing. I spent most of the day trying to figure out if there was some issue with forcing 60fps on 24fps content. I troubleshooted for about 4 hours without resolution.

I ended up doing a factory reset on the TV last night and it fixed the issue.

I don’t know if others have better advice, but I thought it may save you a day’s frustration to know a factory reset resolved the SOE at least in my case.

Hope you get it resolved either way.
My experience is exactly like yours (except I've had my TV for 5 months). It's been flawless until last night. I went about half-way through the thread on the Roku forum. I determined that a factory reset was necessary. After going through the tedious setup process again, my picture is back to normal.

In that thread proposed actions that may trigger the issue are as follows:
  • Cycling through inputs
  • Switching between HDR and SDR content
  • Using streaming apps (HDR or otherwise)
  • Power Cycle

Proposed (temporary) work-arounds:
  • Factory Reset (audio/video reset is not enough)
  • Power Cycle (retains settings, obviously)
  • Power Down-->Unplug from wall for 3-5 minutes (also recommended that you hold down the power button for 10-15 seconds while TV is unplugged) (retains settings)
  • System Restart (done via software): Settings-->System-->Power-->System Restart (retains settings)
It's been proposed that factory resets take you back to the original software. The users then suggest that you do not set up a network connection after the reset so it will not download the problematic software. I'm skeptical of this. I'm not certain that it defaults back to an older version. While I rarely enter the Roku apps, I don't want to forego the network setup because I have to use the app change expert picture settings (including gamma which is only accessible via the phone app).

After going through the factory reset, I do hope this is not a frequent occurrence. Next time I will just try a "System Restart" or "Unplug" remedy since settings are retained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My experience is exactly like yours (except I've had my TV for 5 months). It's been flawless until last night....
I’m not sure if this was the reason, or just a stupid coincidence, but I think my issue began after watching a YouTube clip of Gemini Man to show my wife why 60fps movies look odd. I know, that’s an absurd thing to assume caused this problem, but it was the last thing I did prior to turning the TV off Friday night, and Saturday was SOE all day long until the factory reset. Absolute correlation, but unclear if causation.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I had to do a complete factory reset also today because of the soap opera effect. It went away after a factory reset.
While I've not yet tried it, apparently factory reset may be overkill. It's my understand that a power cord reset or "system reset" (Settings-->System-->Power-->System Restart). Both of which retain your settings.

Reactions: paultimm

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the 65R615 and was having the vivid mode and SOE bugs for the longest time after the 9.3 firmware update. I figured out (after find a tweet on the TCL support feed) that having something plugged into the USB port can cause it too. I unplugged my LED strip lights and it went away after a full power cycle (unplug, hold power button in for 15 seconds on the TV itself, let it sit a minute or more longer than plug in and restart). It did come back once after using the actual Roku channel app on election night but a restart of the TV made it go away and the new 9.4 firmware seems to have fixed it as well as I can now keep my LED lights plugged in again.

I mostly had the Vivid mode permanently on (switching from movie to any other option does nothing), but did see something like the SOE effect when i was playing any 1080p or less resolution stuff that the TV was upscaling.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I'm thinking about buying an atmos sound bar for my 75R617. Does anybody know if they built in support for pass through? Is there a software update note log somewhere?

I'm a little hesitant because when I pass a fiber optic signal to my receiver, EVERYTHING gets downmixed to 2.0. (It's non ARC compliant so I'm using the fiber optic cable)

I would be frustrated beyond belief if I bought a $1000 sound bar and then have to buy an external Roku stick just to get atmos. Kind of defeats the point.

1041 - 1060 of 1072 Posts