AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 2663 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Do most people on here have firmware 2.1.7.1 and does it truly make gradient banding better?

Me PX65 is still stuck on 2.1.6.3 eventhough Vizio's website says 2.1.7.1 is the latest full release.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do most people on here have firmware 2.1.7.1 and does it truly make gradient banding better?

Me PX65 is still stuck on 2.1.6.3 eventhough Vizio's website says 2.1.7.1 is the latest full release.
So what's the deal with us on 2.1.6.3? Is 2.1.7.1 still rolling out? Im on 2163 and there is no update available and we can't update via usb

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
So what's the deal with us on 2.1.6.3? Is 2.1.7.1 still rolling out? Im on 2163 and there is no update available and we can't update via usb
Not sure if this is a new "longest delay" or par for the course from Vizio but yeah it can take a while from the first batch of firmware to the last release.
Not that releasing firmware in waves is entirely stupid but it takes way too long. After a while they should just release to all and stop foolin around.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i'm on 2.1.9.1... Shark week has never looked so great... :p

even though you all may loose your configurations set-up and apps log-in info... you may want try to do a full reset to default setting.

and go thru the initial set-up again that automatically downloads the update... it's worth a shot...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is anyone seeing color banding on non-streamed stuff? I chatted with Vizio support today regarding the firmware and the color-banding and they are stating that there is no known color-banding issue. The picture I sent in they stated the color banding was from video compression. I usually use plex to watch my dvd and blu-ray rips, but that does result in some transcoding due to the subtitles. I watched the snoke's room scene (from a BD rip) on my laptop hooked up directly to the tv and did not see any banding in the red. I also looked at some gradients on a website to test for banding and didn't see it, but I have definitely seen color banding when using netflix (DV and non-DV) through the tv, through youtube, and through plex. I'm on 2.1.6.3, still (says it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to receive the update), but now I'm not sure if it is compression that is causing the banding.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Is anyone seeing color banding on non-streamed stuff? I chatted with Vizio support today regarding the firmware and the color-banding and they are stating that there is no known color-banding issue. The picture I sent in they stated the color banding was from video compression. I usually use plex to watch my dvd and blu-ray rips, but that does result in some transcoding due to the subtitles. I watched the snoke's room scene (from a BD rip) on my laptop hooked up directly to the tv and did not see any banding in the red. I also looked at some gradients on a website to test for banding and didn't see it, but I have definitely seen color banding when using netflix (DV and non-DV) through the tv, through youtube, and through plex. I'm on 2.1.6.3, still (says it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to receive the update), but now I'm not sure if it is compression that is causing the banding.
Compression and streaming in general can and will cause banding but we've all seen it on UHD discs as well.
I have one of the first LG UHD players (the one that sounds like a biplane taking off:rolleyes: ) and it seems the player itself also causes banding. So the short answer is that banding has more than one cause but im convinced the TV isnt "innocent" in this whole thing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Screen Flicker on PX75-G1/PX65-G1

All cables are certified high speed premium 18gbps? CEC is enabled in both the AVR and TV? Have you tried a factory reset? Tried downloading the latest firmware via website?

I am having the EXACT same issue with Nvidia Shield Pro (2017). My cables are all certified premium Monoprice Fiber/Hybrid and worked fine with the TV I replaced (Samsung 2015 UN65JS9500). If I enable Full UHD on HDMI 1 on the Vizio, I immediately get a screen flicker. I bought a PX75-G1 for the front room and a PX65-G1 for the bedroom. BOTH sets are doing the same thing, each with their respective NVShield Pro (2017) and Marantz AV8802A (Front Room and SR6011 AVR in the MBR.)

I am completely in shock that the latest Vizio can't seem to handle Full UHD content without flickering!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I am having the EXACT same issue with Nvidia Shield Pro (2017). My cables are all certified premium Monoprice Fiber/Hybrid and worked fine with the TV I replaced (Samsung 2015 UN65JS9500). If I enable Full UHD on HDMI 1 on the Vizio, I immediately get a screen flicker. I bought a PX75-G1 for the front room and a PX65-G1 for the bedroom. BOTH sets are doing the same thing, each with their respective NVShield Pro (2017) and Marantz AV8802A (Front Room and SR6011 AVR in the MBR.)

I am completely in shock that the latest Vizio can't seem to handle Full UHD content without flickering!
Its a setting issue, tons of us here are using full UHD on PCs, consoles, UHD players etc. It's not as if the tv cant handle it as you imply

·
Registered
134 Posts
Its a setting issue, tons of us here are using full UHD on PCs, consoles, UHD players etc. It's not as if the tv cant handle it as you imply

and yet, the flicker remains with the NVShield.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I’ve had my px75 for a week now, and I love it! Moved my lg c8 65 inch oled into the living room, and the px75 is in the basement theater/game room. I finally feel like I have a big tv again going from 65 to 75. It’s really nice to see more detail from 4k sources as well and not have to worry about image retention when playing games. The picture quality is fantastic, especially the small bright highlights and general color pop. As far as black levels and contrast go, it’s better than my oled 25% of the time, the same as the oled 25%, and worse than the oled 50%. That’s the best way I could describe it. When there are bigger really bright objects surrounded by continuous black, it exceeds the oled. Like that YouTube crayon demo. A lot of night scenes with bigger splotches of black look fantastic as well. The scenes it struggles with are when there are small bright objects on black backgrounds or small black parts of the screen on bright backgrounds. These scenes still look good but are shy of the precision of oled with individual pixels dimming. Overall, I am very happy with the purchase. I have two awesome tvs to enjoy now!

Reactions: Anago and smarthur

·
Registered
531 Posts
On a separate note, anyone using bias lighting with this set? Would it make a difference since the black levels are already really good?

·
Registered
10 Posts
On a separate note, anyone using bias lighting with this set? Would it make a difference since the black levels are already really good?

I’m using the MediaLight Flex. It increases the viewing pleasure as far as I’m concerned.
I like that the MediaLight Series are compatible with my Logitech Harmony remote.

Another user commented previously to one of my posts and is using a Luminoodle.

Reactions: pmanyon
541 - 560 of 2663 Posts