AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 2663 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I finally received a response from Vizio in regards to my firmware version 2.1.6.3 and the inability of the TV to update to 2.1.71...here is Vizio rep response...

"This serial number will not receive the 2.1.7.1 firmware. The current version of firmware you have was cut in during production and the improvements made in 2.1.7.1 were not significant enough to update these models. One the Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit firmware is released your television will then have the same firmware version as all other PX models."

I gotta be honest, that kinda sucks...it seems other people can cast Amazon app and I cannot due to my firmware and that's just one feature I'm missing that is semi-important to me

Still, I am enjoying the TV and have no real complaints...other TV manufacturers should take a page from Vizio in regards to their Android app, the ability to change all the picture settings in real time is simply amazing and its quite addicting for better or worse

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I finally received a response from Vizio in regards to my firmware version 2.1.6.3 and the inability of the TV to update to 2.1.71...here is Vizio rep response...

"This serial number will not receive the 2.1.7.1 firmware. The current version of firmware you have was cut in during production and the improvements made in 2.1.7.1 were not significant enough to update these models. One the Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit firmware is released your television will then have the same firmware version as all other PX models."

I gotta be honest, that kinda sucks...it seems other people can cast Amazon app and I cannot due to my firmware and that's just one feature I'm missing that is semi-important to me

Still, I am enjoying the TV and have no real complaints...other TV manufacturers should take a page from Vizio in regards to their Android app, the ability to change all the picture settings in real time is simply amazing and its quite addicting for better or worse
Well, that answers it!

Im seeing more and more horrible gradient banding, mostly in oval shapes in darkish gray backgrounds / skies but I am sure most of that is due to streaming. Problem is, I also see some of it on UHD discs and according to Vizio, there is no banding issue on their TVs (so no changes to firmware). There are some reports that my LG UHD player also causes banding.

Has anyone been using an Xbox or oppo or sony or any UHD player and NOT experience banding at all? Seems like a compounding issue

·
Registered
26 Posts
anyone receive the new Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit update?

I read Vizio has started to roll the new firmware out...
My PX65 just got the update on Monday. Airplay 2 and Homekit work flawlessly! It's awesome in fact, as an Apple ecosystem user with many Homekit accessories. It asks if you want to setup Homekit and then displays a QR code right on the screen to scan.

Unfortunately, Smartcast 3.0 doesn't really seem all that much faster. I haven't spent much time with it though since I use Apple TV 99% of the time. Youtube HDR being the exception mainly.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
When using AirPlay to play my iTunes movies it will playback Dolby Vision just fine but will not give me ATMOS or even DD+. I only get standard DD with everything. Is this a limitation of AirPlay or is it something on Vizio’s end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Patiently waiting for my 75". Hopefully should get it by Friday. Costco.ca reduced the price today....and I had to file a price adjustment even before getting the tv. I see the US Costco price is the lowest US price I have seen online. I am hoping I win the lottery with no uniformity deal breaking issues.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey everyone! I’m trying to decide between this tv, the X950G, or going with the Q80R. I REALLY want a bigger tv than the 55” I have now and I especially wanted one that had Dolby Vision. I know that normally would get rid of the Q80R right off the bat, but it’s gotten such good reviews and rating on rtings.com. The next best, to me, looks to be this Vizio Quantum X. Sams Club and Costco both have it on a major discount right now too.

So I guess my real question here, is if this tv is worth it? Is the banding that horrific on them? And is the backlighting not as good as I’ve seen people here complain of? Because rtings gave this tv pretty high marks

·
Registered
30 Posts
FYI:

It appears that SMARTCAST on two different models of Vizio appear to not like my wifi signal, or there is some other sort of service issue impacting video quality when streaming using the television's native apps for Amazon Prime and VUDU.

I am having SMARTCAST issues with both a 2018 Vizio PQ65-G1 and the 2019 Vizio PX75-G1 quantum tv where they rarely stream in 4K, but rather 480p to 720p to 1080p in a gradual step-up fashion when watching Amazon Prime or VUDU through it. The Fire Tv 4K and Roku Ultra 4K's I have stream 4k HDR content just fine.

The feature gap that I have right now is seeing purchased VUDU content in 4k with Dolby Vision since neither the Roku Ultra or the Fire Stick 4k support Vudu with Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Patiently waiting for my 75". Hopefully should get it by Friday. Costco.ca reduced the price today....and I had to file a price adjustment even before getting the tv. I see the US Costco price is the lowest US price I have seen online. I am hoping I win the lottery with no uniformity deal breaking issues.

Thanks for posting this. I just checked Costco.com and put in for a price adjustment as well. I have had my 75” for a week and am loving it. Good luck with your delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
FYI:

It appears that SMARTCAST on two different models of Vizio appear to not like my wifi signal, or there is some other sort of service issue impacting video quality when streaming using the television's native apps for Amazon Prime and VUDU.

I am having SMARTCAST issues with both a 2018 Vizio PQ65-G1 and the 2019 Vizio PX75-G1 quantum tv where they rarely stream in 4K, but rather 480p to 720p to 1080p in a gradual step-up fashion when watching Amazon Prime or VUDU through it. The Fire Tv 4K and Roku Ultra 4K's I have stream 4k HDR content just fine.

The feature gap that I have right now is seeing purchased VUDU content in 4k with Dolby Vision since neither the Roku Ultra or the Fire Stick 4k support Vudu with Dolby Vision.
FYI:

Smartcast is a web OS and does not effect streaming quality. Service providers create and update the web API for their own services. If there are issues with their platform then it is on them to fix it.

With that said I own the 2018 PQ and have zero issues streaming content at native resolution. If the content is 4k then the TV will stream at 4k. Odds are your issue is local and you will have to troubleshoot it.

VUDU on smartcast has a settings menu and resolution option. Make sure you check that. A majority of the time there is one or more misconfigured network setting with the TV or modem/router. Some Vizio models are preconfigured with Google DNS. If the DNS is not set to your router IP, then that might cause issues.

Was there a firmware update recently with your modem/router? If so then try rebooting your network. In some situations an updated network device can have conflicting stored data. In that case a factory reset of the TV and/or network device is the only remedy.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I just checked Costco.com and put in for a price adjustment as well. I have had my 75” for a week and am loving it. Good luck with your delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, I hope I get a good one. If there is an issue, I may try a second unit.....the price is too good to resist.

·
Registered
412 Posts
got mine from Costco 3 weeks ago...
no issues.. incredible picture..
now just waiting for my price adjustment..

·
Registered
948 Posts
I was ready to upgrade my Samsung 75NU8000 to the 75 PQX but decided to run a test first comparing my current Vizio 65 PQ to my Samsung. Since the first P series C I had, I read issues with The FALD algorithm actually dims specular highlight such as star field. Using the following Youtube video time mark at 59 seconds I noticed how dim was the star field on my Vizio PQ while the Samsung without a FALD dimming retained the brightness of the stars on top of the black space background. I turned off the PQ dimming and that made the stars brighter but the space background was gray at best. That made me think maybe I should NOT upgrade to the PQX. Now, it is possible that the PQX algorithm is different. Can any of you good people try this and let me know before I make the jump?
I am also attaching the slides showing the issue.
Thank you in advanced.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I was ready to upgrade my Samsung 75NU8000 to the 75 PQX but decided to run a test first comparing my current Vizio 65 PQ to my Samsung. Since the first P series C I had, I read issues with The FALD algorithm actually dims specular highlight such as star field. Using the following Youtube video time mark at 59 seconds I noticed how dim was the star field on my Vizio PQ while the Samsung without a FALD dimming retained the brightness of the stars on top of the black space background. I turned off the PQ dimming and that made the stars brighter but the space background was gray at best. That made me think maybe I should NOT upgrade to the PQX. Now, it is possible that the PQX algorithm is different. Can any of you good people try this and let me know before I make the jump?

Thank you in advanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdEkRDJ_EA
Something doesn't make sense here.

There is no way a non-OLED/Plasma TV with local dimming off can maintain star brightness and black background simultaneously. Last time I checked Samsung doesn't make consumer OLED TVs. You may want to recheck your test method.

Some calibration tweaking may be needed to improve star brightness performance.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts

Thank you in advanced.

You could adjust the backlight up, keep in mind, that doing so lifts the entire EOTF. That would affect the tone mapping, of 4000 nit content, which is mostly WB and Sony content.

You can try saving a picture mode just for other non 4000 nit content, (Fox, Disney, Paramount, Universal, Lionsgate, and Netflix) with stock backlight settings.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
948 Posts
Something doesn't make sense here.

There is no way a non-OLED/Plasma TV with local dimming off can maintain star brightness and black background simultaneously. Last time I checked Samsung doesn't make consumer OLED TVs. You may want to recheck your test method.

Some calibration tweaking may be needed to improve star brightness performance.
Not much of test method.....All I did was to find the spot on the video that shows the star field, set the tvs to dimming on, off and take some photos to show it. The Samsung was a winner in my opinion although not as bright as the PQ but the star field was much brighter while maintaining a black background. The Samsung actually looked better in real time while at the same time the PQ with its local dimming off the background looked grayer. Strange. The photos I attached show this issue without using alternations to the images. I can try different settings on the PQ but this video from You tube is HDR and I did not want to alter the settings too much. Let me know if you have any suggestion to get the highlight brighter on the PQ. Thank you skschatzman!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Not much of test method.....All I did was to find the spot on the video that shows the star field, set the tvs to dimming on, off and take some photos to show it. The Samsung was a winner in my opinion although not as bright as the PQ but the star field was much brighter while maintaining a black background. The Samsung actually looked better in real time while at the same time the PQ with its local dimming off the background looked grayer. Strange. The photos I attached show this issue without using alternations to the images. I can try different settings on the PQ but this video from You tube is HDR and I did not want to alter the settings too much. Let me know if you have any suggestion to get the highlight brighter on the PQ. Thank you skschatzman!
Even if I were to agree that the samsung looks better, that would be in this very specific situation. So what's the point? Are you going to watch star fields 80% of the time?
And HDR can be very weird some times. It's not because it looks like this in THIS video that the TV can't look better. Im convinced I could find you an HDR star field with way brighter stars.

Anyway, what im saying is that this assessment of yours is moot and pointless.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What did you use to take the pictures? They seem to be of different resolutions...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Thank you in advanced.

Did you try Local Dimming On High? I don’t recommend normally but in your case it seems that the stars being bright is the biggest priority, LD on High should give you that but it will raise the black levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

581 - 600 of 2663 Posts