AVS Forum banner

4281 - 4300 of 4395 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I confused you for someone else when I posted that.

I give up however. The Avengers isn't available via Netflix in the US and I'm not going to the trouble of changing my location via VPN or DNS. The scene in question at 11:20 in 2012's The Avengers looks exactly as it should via Prime Video (1080p SDR), Disney+ (4K Dolby Vision) and 4K UHD Blu-ray.

Based on the settings shown in his photos and the look of his display as well, @pulp1 clearly has an issue with his or her settings. Thus far, they have shown little interest in getting them right unfortunately. I can only offer to help so many times before moving on.
Yeah the Netflix mentions really confused me . Now I realize that’s a different country. I’m in the US too and it’s on Prime there. Any chance you could snap a shot of that scene so I can compare yours to mine. Also what settings are you using? RTings say don’t touch the hdr settings other than motion, so should I only change the backlight on SDR? I have no idea what I’m doing with the backlight. Whereabouts should it be generally? I’m in pretty dark room.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What mode do you use for HDR and Dolby Vision? Also did you alter your color space settings? And should the IPQ calibration app change my white balance for 40% and below? As you can see it only adjusted 100% to 50% on mine.
I use Normal mode and color temperature Warm for both HDR and Dolby Vision. I didn’t alter the color space settings because it can’t be done correctly by eye. You really need a professional calibrator for that and you really shouldn’t just copy someone else’s settings. You’ll wind up doing more harm than good. The IPQ calibration app didn’t change the white balance settings 40% and below for me neither.

·
Registered
16,785 Posts
It doesn't matter what the bitrate or resolution are if the display settings are not correct. Gotta start there first.
All PQ issues should begin with the source when looking to solve the issue .. especially when it appears it's a highly compressed feed ..

My next question would be, how does a BD or a 4K disc look .. ??

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't have a BD or 4K disc, so sadly I can't answer that. Wish I could. Because I'd love to know if this is an issue with my panel or just normal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use Normal mode and color temperature Warm for both HDR and Dolby Vision. I didn’t alter the color space settings because it can’t be done correctly by eye. You really need a professional calibrator for that and you really shouldn’t just copy someone else’s settings. You’ll wind up doing more harm than good. The IPQ calibration app didn’t change the white balance settings 40% and below for me neither.
Looks like we use exactly the same settings. Is there any chance you could try that Avengers scene around 11:30 on either Netflix or Prime depending on your region and let me know if it looks similar to mine?

·
Registered
16,785 Posts
I don't have a BD or 4K disc, so sadly I can't answer that. Wish I could. Because I'd love to know if this is an issue with my panel or just normal.
You don't use any physical medium .. ?? There is no way to test the set outside of a streaming channel .. ?? No BD Player / PS3 or what not laying around .. ??

My initial questions were ::

It would be helpful to know what ISP you have and what your average Mbps is .. any other usage with other devices at the same time .. ?? Wi Fi or Ethernet .. ?? Approximate physical geographic location .. ??

What type camera are you using .. ??

Honestly, photos are fairly worthless in determining what's what on a TV screen .. too many variables .. although it does appear to have heavy compression to me, anyway ..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quick Question, noticed when turning off the TV , it turns off fine, but then about 20 mins later I hear the relay type click noise ( same click as when turning it on ) as if its "really" turning off now, if that makes sense.
That’s normal behavior. You’ll find the tv turns on instantly before the click and more slowly after the click. Looks like the tv just goes into standby when you power it off until 20 mins later then actually powers off. Doesn’t bother me and that’s just how I’d like it to behave. I believe if you set your tv to fast start, it will always be instant on and there’ll never be that click.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looks like we use exactly the same settings. Is there any chance you could try that Avengers scene around 11:30 on either Netflix or Prime depending on your region and let me know if it looks similar to mine?
Here you are. Amazon Prime Video SDR. Awful compression compared to the pic of my 4K HDR Blu-Ray I posted a page back. The 635 handles that scene from the disc quite well. Your TV is fine. The stream sucks.
B4999110-DD6B-43A8-A3EA-087A08D81B6D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My 75 inch august build date set was just replaced under warranty. It would only display a blue screen. They tried changing parts with no luck. The replacement set has december build date. This tv is better in almost every way. The awful red colors are now much more accurate. The panel is much better It is extremely uniform with almost zero haze on a grey or blue image. There is almost no blooming compared to the old set. Black levels even seem better. It seems brighter as well. I am very pleased.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am in the market for a new TV and have a question about the TCL Series 6. I own a new Xbox Series S and While doing my research I discovered that some post about the TCL not being able to run VRR and games in HDR while playing in 1440 @120 HZ Not sure if this is a TCL issue or a Microsoft issue with 1440 gaming in general

Does anyone know for sure?

Any other complaints about this TV? I'm down to the TCL and the Sony x900h

Thanks
I've never seen this issue in a post.
My 75 inch august build date set was just replaced under warranty. It would only display a blue screen. They tried changing parts with no luck. The replacement set has december build date. This tv is better in almost every way. The awful red colors are now much more accurate. The panel is much better It is extremely uniform with almost zero haze on a grey or blue image. There is almost no blooming compared to the old set. Black levels even seem better. It seems brighter as well. I am very pleased.
Argues that there is great panel variance in these sets. I hear some up and down complaints about blooming and I myself don't see it (my oled is my reference) and many high profile reviewers don't see it as an issue (including HDTVtest) while some (including Rtings) do. Interesting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You don't use any physical medium .. ?? There is no way to test the set outside of a streaming channel .. ?? No BD Player / PS3 or what not laying around .. ??

My initial questions were ::

It would be helpful to know what ISP you have and what your average Mbps is .. any other usage with other devices at the same time .. ?? Wi Fi or Ethernet .. ?? Approximate physical geographic location .. ??

What type camera are you using .. ??

Honestly, photos are fairly worthless in determining what's what on a TV screen .. too many variables .. although it does appear to have heavy compression to me, anyway ..
Nope, sadly not. May be able to get hold of one. I'm using Spectrum Internet Ultra in New York. Believe it's supposed to be 400Mbps. I'm using a Deco M5 Mesh system, and annoyingly the TV is further way from the main unit. So I'd say it's about 50Mbs currently. It was 100 but it's dropped a bit recently.

Family of four. Four cells that may or may not be using this wifi as they have Verizon Unlimited. Kid plays PC video games sometimes. Other one streams. Usually at same time as I'm watching TV.

Took the photos with an iPhone 2020 SE

Took pics
Glad your new one is better. How do you find the build date?

·
Registered
77 Posts
All PQ issues should begin with the source when looking to solve the issue .. especially when it appears it's a highly compressed feed ..

My next question would be, how does a BD or a 4K disc look .. ??
Written this twice now. Ironically having internet problems:)

ISP is Spectrum Internet ultra in NYC. Supposed to get 400 mbs. I’m using a Deco M5 Mesh to spread it around the house. Getting between 50 and 100 in the living room where the TV is.

one kid games on PC, other streams while we’re watching TV. Also normal cellphone activity also on WiFi.

Photo taken on iPhone 2020 SE.

Dont know if that helps explain the issues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here you are. Amazon Prime Video SDR. Awful compression compared to the pic of my 4K HDR Blu-Ray I posted a page back. The 635 handles that scene from the disc quite well. Your TV is fine. The stream sucks. View attachment 3117271
That’s a relief! Thanks for sharing. Feel a lot better now. Though I do wonder how come @McFly85 said it appears fine on his TV?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would an image from screen capture from good 1080p source be useful? Not sure if you can open a PNG file on the tv and use that to test it, maybe live video gets processed differently.

That scene looks way darker on my PC screens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That’s a relief! Thanks for sharing. Feel a lot better now. Though I do wonder how come @McFly85 said it appears fine on his TV?
Because I wanted to make your life more difficult? :). Seriously I have no idea what the difference is. This is what I see on Netflix (Canada, 1080p SDR). My crappy camera phone makes it look a little worse than it is too. Maybe more aggressive compression/lower bit rate on Prime? Then again I thought someone posted similar results as yours from Netflix too so who knows. But I'm glad we can at least be sure it's the stream and not your TV.

avengers.png

·
Registered
77 Posts
Because I wanted to make your life more difficult? :). Seriously I have no idea what the difference is. This is what I see on Netflix (Canada, 1080p SDR). My crappy camera phone makes it look a little worse than it is too. Maybe more aggressive compression/lower bit rate on Prime? Then again I thought someone posted similar results as yours from Netflix too so who knows. But I'm glad we can at least be sure it's the stream and not your TV.

View attachment 3117386
Haha, thanks for sharing. And yeah, yours looks way better. What settings were you using? I guess it’s the compression then and not down to you just having a better panel? I guess there has to be some benefits from living in Canada! 😀

·
Registered
77 Posts
Now that it appears (I hope) that we got the visual issue solved. Has anyone had any experience of breaking up sound using optical out? It’s not all the time just parts where the sound cuts out for maybe a second or two then continues. My klipsch sound bar only uses optical so no other choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haha, thanks for sharing. And yeah, yours looks way better. What settings were you using? I guess it’s the compression then and not down to you just having a better panel? I guess there has to be some benefits from living in Canada! 😀
My settings aren't anything special, I haven't done any calibration outside of the eye test. Brighter (probably not ideal for SDR but I'm too lazy to change it every time the content type switches), Movie Mode, backlight 20, contrast 95, sharpness 0, color 60 (I boosted this manually slightly), no tint, color temp Normal (I know warm is considered most accurate but I just can't do it, even after a week I couldn't handle it), color space: Auto, Gamma 2.2, Noise Reduction Off.

·
Registered
16,785 Posts
Nope, sadly not. May be able to get hold of one. I'm using Spectrum Internet Ultra in New York. Believe it's supposed to be 400Mbps. I'm using a Deco M5 Mesh system, and annoyingly the TV is further way from the main unit. So I'd say it's about 50Mbs currently. It was 100 but it's dropped a bit recently.

Family of four. Four cells that may or may not be using this wifi as they have Verizon Unlimited. Kid plays PC video games sometimes. Other one streams. Usually at same time as I'm watching TV.
Based on your information, I'd have to guess it's heavy compression, which is what it looked like to me in the first place .. if it were me, I'd re-boot the router and certainly, try and round up a BD player and a good BD, since no real determination can be made until the TV is fed a source that is known good .. also, you might consider Ethernet, a cable is cheap and it's always worth a try ..

One of the reasons I don't use Wi Fi for viewing ..

Reactions: GhaSper_- and pulp1
4281 - 4300 of 4395 Posts