AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Loving the TV. Only issue I've seen is blooming on the xbox menu (probably because the menu is mostly grey). I don't
see it while playing movies or games but it's a weird sight on dashboards. Thoughts?

edit 1: I just read on a reddit post that it's blooming because full array is on and the dashboard is likely SDR content which would explain why I'm not seeing it in games or movies. So at worst it's just a weird SDR to HDR transition for xbox?

Edit 2: After further inspection it seems to be the answer. Full array was creating some extreme blooming. Found an article that's 2 years old.but seems relevant Info. TV looks great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, thanks for the replies... told him to hold off for now.
I should also note, the Vizio software was buggy. Sometimes my TV wouldn't turn on and would throw an error code, and I'd have to go through a power cycle to get it to turn on, which didn't work every time. Given TVs these days have a software layer to them, good software is important.

I cant count the number of times, in my 3 weeks of ownership, I sat down ready to watch tv only to not have it turn on. Subsequently I'd then spend the next 10 mins trying to power cycle it, huge buzz kill when you are trying to sit down an relax. I'm sure not all brands of TVs are the same, perhaps its not even fair to compare across models of the same brand. But its something to strongly consider given the software layer is so intertwined into the operation of the TV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone else tested this TV on an Xbox series x or xbox? Weirdly the pitcher mode isn't automatically changing when I switch to a movie app from a game.app. I have to automatically change the picture mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just scored the M50Q7-H1 from Costco. Waiting on delivery. Reading all the bad reviews doesnt give me confidence that I made a good decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
VIZIO is pleased to announce new updates that are coming to your 2020-2021 VIZIO SmartCast TV with a number of improvements, including:
  • Deeper black levels for P-Series, for improved contrast and picture quality
  • An enhanced gaming experience for 1080p/120Hz signals with VRR
  • Improved gaming picture performance in the default setting
  • Better audio support from several devices
Your TV will update over the network automatically. To see if you have the new firmware (1.10.15.5-4 for M-Series and V-Series, as of 12/4/20), you can go to the Menu and select Admin & Reset, then select System Information to see the firmware you’re currently on. You can manually check to see if the update is available from the Admin & Reset menu and select the “Check for Updates” function.

We will continue to provide additional updates and comments. You can always reach out to our customer service team at 1 (855) 833-3221

Sincerely,

Mike Wood
Director, Product Management, VIZIO

·
Registered
356 Posts
The 2021 M586x-H1 appears to be either too new or maybe Costco special, but I'm having a hard time determining how this compares to other reviewed Vizio models or the competition, which isn't helped by the unusual size.
I'm upgrading from a great-big-UHD-deal-at-the-time 55" Avera Equinox 55EQX20 which has no features and a couple of strip lights in the back, so anything is an upgrade, but I'm looking for a similar kind of great-big-UHD-deal-now. UHD Sources are Roku Ultra 4630X, Sony UBP-X700 via a Pioneer VSX-932 and would include the built-in Chromecast.

Any advice on useful value and model comparisons would be welcome.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
@AJCxZ0 That M586x-H1 is a Black Friday variant model. And from what I've seen, the M6-Series Quantum is just straight-up the V-Series with Quantum Color Dot on it, meaning like the V-Series it only has 3 HDMI inputs not 4 like the M7 and M8 models, it also has the V-Gaming Engine (ALLM is supported but no VRR/Freesync) instead of the Pro-Gaming Engine used on other M-Series models as well as the P-Series lineup and OLED. Lastly, like the V-Series, I don't think the M6 has any local dimming whatsoever, peak brightness may also be just as dim as the V-Series too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi guys. I just picked up the 58” M from Costco, as another user above did as well. I’m having issues with local dimming. I’m unable to enable it with DV content, or any content for that matter but let’s start with DV content. On the menu screen from the remote Backlight Control (no Active Full Array option, I assume Backlight Control is it) under Advanced is grayed out completely. If I use the SmartCast app, Active Full Array is defaulted to off - if I select it I get the low, medium & high options, but they will not work, reverts immediately to off whenever I select any of them. Now with SDR content the remote menu Backlight Control under advanced is not grayed out and I can enable it, but there’s no options for low, medium & high. SmartCast app shows Backlight Control enabled, with Active Full Array directly above it also enabled to ‘on’ - if I click into it I get the low, medium & high options but they will not stick either, even if I hit ‘off’ under that dropdown it remains ‘on’. I’d love and appreciate some help. I currently own 3 P’s and have not run into this issue with any of them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That M586x-H1 is a Black Friday variant model. ...I don't think the M6 has any local dimming whatsoever, peak brightness may also be just as dim as the V-Series too.
Thank you. This is exactly the information I need. While I don't care much about the Gaming Engine or need more than one HDMI input, local dimming and peak brightness are an important part of the upgrade I'm seeking (even if any new TV will be an upgrade).

Hi guys. I just picked up the 58” M from Costco, as another user above did as well. I’m having issues with local dimming.
Thanks for sharing your observations. That's really helpful.

This isn't the place to bemoan yet again the shame it is that marketing has taken over from actual specifications for electronics, making it ridiculously difficult to be an informed consumer... so I won't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
anyone using the M7 with an apple tv 4k? damn thing will NOT turn this tv off when I put the ATV into standby mode...my old SOny 4k would turn on and off with the ATV remote but this thing wont

·
Registered
576 Posts
M55Q7-H1 - is it safe to plug it back into the internet?
I picked up the M55Q7-H1 in mid September for my son's apartment at college and dialed in the settings using the firmware shipped with the TV. Never connected the TV to the internet since the Vizio firmware update at that time was a bit messy and had some bugs that needed to be worked out. I understand new firmware fixes were subsequently released and wanted to find out if it's now recommended to connect the TV back to the internet and let the current firmware download? With the current firmware installed, will I need to go back through and tweak all the picture settings to get it properly dialed in when I'm back up visiting his apartment, or have folks found the picture settings they used prior to that messed up firmware work well with the corrected firmware?

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
Thinking of picking up the M55Q8-H1 for the family room. Have all the quirks/bugs been ironed out? Any thoughts/opinions?

·
Registered
356 Posts
M65Q7-H1 purchased from Costco.com scheduled to be delivered in a few hours. 3 year manufacturer warranty plus an extra year, 90 day return.
While the M55Q7-H1 has one unmentionable advantage, I decided that that every dimension of my Avera EQX5520 needed upgrading with the bonus rationalisation that this saving money by deferring a UHD projector and screen purchase.
Post-purchase affirmations and pointers to better comparable choices (with reasons) are equally welcome.

My only concern is the mandatory privacy invasion from this class action-ed manufacturer, but I am trusting my Pi-hole to take care of this as it does for my two Rokus which account for over half of all the blocked queries on my network. I am not concerned that the specs say

Outputs
ARCNo
while the picture shows

or the "HDMI 2.1" which isn't really.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #196

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been searching for a new panel to replace my 60" LG 4k HDR "Pro". I think its a 60 series, about 4 years old. The picture is perfect and flawless for me, the only reason I'm upgrading is to get DolbyVision and eARC.

After spending way too much time searching I found the Vizio M65Q7, and I think its gonna be my horse in this race. Take a look at my requirements and tell me if I've made the right pick:

needs:
Dolbyvision
eARC / HDMI 2.1
HDR10
wide color
price <$800

sources and outputs:
Apple TV
Oppo 103 Blu-ray
Sonos Arc

uses:
movies
tv shows
no computer use
it will never see sports or any video games, ever, so specs that are specifically for gaming should be ignored

I saw a lot of complaints about the M7 and M8, and apparently the M8 was taken off the market for revamping, because I see its out of stock everywhere. Did that get fixed? Is it better than the M7? Is the M7 worth getting? If not, does LG or Samsung have anything comparable? (No TCL or Hisense, please). Is Vizio a quality brand?

TIA.

·
Registered
356 Posts
needs:
Dolbyvision
eARC / HDMI 2.1
HDR10
wide color
price <$800
All common HDR formats are supported, so tick Dolby Vision and HDR10.

eARC is supported on HDMI 1, though FWIW I have not yet found any content playable on the built-in Chromecast which streams Dolby Atmos and only get "Dolby Audio" which covers a range of Dolby's multi-channel encodings, however I suspect it's just Dolby Digital Plus.

UHD(TV) is one of the "4K" display resolutions and this is a UHD display.

What makes you think you need HDMI 2.1? Please be clear and specific about he actual need.

RTINGS reports that
..it has an outstanding color gamut with full coverage of the commonly-used DCI P3 color space..
Do you have an actual color space requirement (related to an Adobe defined RGB standard or otherwise) which is not adequately addressed by this?

Since we're not supposed to talk prices here, just tick any remaining items.

Is Vizio a quality brand?
You can probably find a Vizio marketing representative in r/VIZIO_Official to answer that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
eARC is supported on HDMI 1, though FWIW I have not yet found any content playable on the built-in Chromecast which streams Dolby Atmos and only get "Dolby Audio" which covers a range of Dolby's multi-channel encodings, however I suspect it's just Dolby Digital Plus.
I definitely won't be using anything Google on this, I just need the most capable TV to handle Dolby pass-through via eARC.

What makes you think you need HDMI 2.1? Please be clear and specific about he actual need.
I'm contemplating a sound bar that requires eARC, which requires HDMI 2.0 connections. I'm sure as soon as I get both the tv and the soundbar home, I'll find out that I really need HDMI 2.1 because if I had that, there's a firmware update that enables 4D audio (its audio in three dimensions that you can receive at any point in time, before or after you actually play it. It takes lip-sync problems to a whole new level, but thats a bug they'll get to in a future firmware update).

You see, I had an excellent plasma screen that I held on to for a long time. Finally, I caved in and brought home an excellent LED panel because 4K had gotten to wide acceptance. That panel had HDR, HDMI 1.4, all sorts of neat little features and buzzwords. As soon as I got it set up and started doing adjustments I kept seeing references to how my HDR was a cheaper version, HDR 8, that LG had concealed behind a marketing name, HDR PRO, and that what I should have got was the panel that cost another $200, which had HDR10. I really don't care about OLED or any of that. I want a clear, sharp, 4K display that has abundant colors. But I sure don't want to do the "you should have waited until this next HDMI standard came out" song and dance again in 4 years.

Do you have an actual color space requirement (related to an Adobe defined RGB standard or otherwise) which is not adequately addressed by this?
No. See above. Plus all the reviews I see of many sub-$800 TVs which have the line "but it doesn't have wide color gamut". From what I understand thats more important than HDR. And I still want HDR.

You can probably find a Vizio marketing representative in r/VIZIO_Official to answer that.
Reddit? No thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Picking up a M50Q7-H1 from Best Buy tomorrow. Replacing a cheap ass Jensen in our RV. I looked through the manual. Is there anything I should know? Also looking for suggestions on setup. Thanks

181 - 200 of 206 Posts