AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its been a little over a week now, and now I'm just trying to stomach doubling the money spent for a X90CH. I thought about the TCL 6, and Hisense 9, but I'm afraid I'll just run into the same rave review to real life disappointment situation. Thinking I'll just use this TV till the return date, then drop it off at Walmart and swing over to Costco to pick up the X90CH. Figure get a Sony, and 99.99% chance I don't have to bring it back. Seriously, returning TVs is a huge hassle. I'm sure some people don't mind doing it for the panel lottery, but what a PIA.
I strongly advise you to stay from TCL and Hisense as well. I bought the H9G and it has AWFUL image retention in HDR gaming, so much so that I ended up getting a Vizio instead. The Vizio works okay for what it is but I really wish I'd gotten the Sony out of the gate. The new TCL supposedly has terrible blooming, especially off angle. The old adage "you get what you pay for" has never ringed more true.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I have the new TCL 6 series 75 inch and I have an extremely clean perfect panel. No blooming at all, no black crush, extremely bright with excellent black levels. It's just a click off from OLED. It's very, very close to OLED at a fraction of the price. Just thought I'd add some insight into the new TCL 6 series.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the new TCL 6 series 75 inch and I have an extremely clean perfect panel. No blooming at all, no black crush, extremely bright with excellent black levels. It's just a click off from OLED. It's very, very close to OLED at a fraction of the price. Just thought I'd add some insight into the new TCL 6 series.

I gotta admit, I used to be a big TCL guy until I bought a 2019 model. I'm not sure if I just got a bad panel but I had so many issues with that TV that I permanently wrote off the brand. It's great that it seems like you got a great panel but just be aware that it may not necessarily be like that for future purchases.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I gotta admit, I used to be a big TCL guy until I bought a 2019 model. I'm not sure if I just got a bad panel but I had so many issues with that TV that I permanently wrote off the brand. It's great that it seems like you got a great panel but just be aware that it may not necessarily be like that for future purchases.
I don't plan on buying another one for quite some time. I also understand based on the owners thread that people are having issues and losing the "panel lottery", although I think some of the complaints are people looking for issues.
Mini-LED is an awesome technology. I'm gonna be interesting to see Sony, and Vizio take on this technology to see what they can do with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't plan on buying another one for quite some time. I also understand based on the owners thread that people are having issues and losing the "panel lottery", although I think some of the complaints are people looking for issues.
Mini-LED is an awesome technology. I'm gonna be interesting to see Sony, and Vizio take on this technology to see what they can do with it.

Does your TCL lag or have random boot issues? This smartcast feature on the Vizio is terrible. There is a significant price difference between the TCL and the Sony. Maybe I'll try my luck one more time.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Does your TCL lag or have random boot issues? This smartcast feature on the Vizio is terrible. There is a significant price difference between the TCL and the Sony. Maybe I'll try my luck one more time.
I haven't had one problem with mine knock on wood. I did have sync issues with dialog being off from the what was going on the TV but my Denon X3400H fixed that. I don't know if that was a Fire Cube issue or TCL but it's fixed. Oh I had that issue with Blu Ray too and it's fixed, again he Denon took care of that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How is it the 2017 M Series is still brighter (peak nits) than any M series that came after?
I used to really dig Vizio, and I still believe they have some of the greatest color accuracy and color gamut coverage of any manufacturer, but as of late they seem to be slipping a bit. They seem to be focusing on things like HDMI 2.1 which is all well and good, but on a 60Hz panel, does it really matter all that much? I'd rather put that money towards increasing the brightness. Maybe they're trying to drive more sales to the P Series (which was another trainwreck at launch, seems better now) and the OLED (which wasn't smooth sailing at launch either). I don't know, maybe 2020's hurdles really hit Vizio harder than others but they seem to be faltering a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unbelievable. Rtings just put out their review of the M8 and it's noticeably worse than last year's model. Call it the COVID effect, I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think Vizio has dropped the M down a tier. It’s just a budget model now
Absolutely. The image quality is extremely poor. I just pulled the trigger on the Sony X900H and will get to test it on Wednesday. I'm extremely disappointed in this model and won't be buying the Vizio brand again. My 2018 TCL produces a significantly better image than this.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Absolutely. The image quality is extremely poor. I just pulled the trigger on the Sony X900H and will get to test it on Wednesday. I'm extremely disappointed in this model and won't be buying the Vizio brand again. My 2018 TCL produces a significantly better image than this.
I wouldn’t consider the M. But the P and PX seem to be solid sets

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well the Vizio is scheduled to be returned, Walmart is arranging pickup. Everything has been packed up.

You can say we over compensated for having such a crap TV for two weeks, and picked up the LG 65in CX OLED. Orders of magnitude better of a TV. Can wait to watch some movies tonight and tinker around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I won't mind the M8 that much if they fix the blooming issues with a firmware update (I have to admit it's pretty bad here). I won't be getting another Vizio because of this years model compared to last years. It's a downgrade in picture quality and I expected an improvement (isn't it supposed to work that way) when I could have gotten a TCL or Hisense. I also can't see the fine details on faces as much as I had hoped for. My dad has a LG OLED 2018 and I can see a great deal of facial features up close. I was hoping for around the same for a 2020 model. It's BS to me they haven't fixed the blooming problems on this yet with an update.

·
Registered
443 Posts
So, are these M series that bad, or are people just trying to compare them to higher end TV's ?

My dad want's a 65" TV, but not wanting to spend too much (<$600) on one. Have told him his options are not going to be terrific at that price range. He likes Costco, and with their extended warranties and return policy, so looking at what they are offering and it came down to the LG 7300 and the Vizio M65Q7-H1. The Vizio seemed like a better choice since has the local dimming, and had ok review on Rtings.

He doesn't need anything exceptional as he is older and eyesight isn't the greatest, but don't want something that's going to look like crap when family is over.

Would push him towards TCL, but Costco not carrying them anymore and it would be a 5 series as the 6 series is more than his budget.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, are these M series that bad, or are people just trying to compare them to higher end TV's ?

My dad want's a 65" TV, but not wanting to spend too much (<$600) on one. Have told him his options are not going to be terrific at that price range. He likes Costco, and with their extended warranties and return policy, so looking at what they are offering and it came down to the LG 7300 and the Vizio M65Q7-H1. The Vizio seemed like a better choice since has the local dimming, and had ok review on Rtings.

He doesn't need anything exceptional as he is older and eyesight isn't the greatest, but don't want something that's going to look like crap when family is over.

Would push him towards TCL, but Costco not carrying them anymore and it would be a 5 series as the 6 series is more than his budget.
If you don't mind Vizio getting worse instead of better then sure.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you don't mind Vizio getting worse instead of better then sure.
Well, it's not what I mind (have a Sony 85X90CH, he didn't want to spend the $$'s for the 65" version) but what a mid 70's man would be satisfied with ...he currently has a Sceptre 50" 1080P TV, so going to 4K should be an upgrade unless it's a really bad picture.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, it's not what I mind (have a Sony 85X90CH, he didn't want to spend the $$'s for the 65" version) but what a mid 70's man would be satisfied with ...he currently has a Sceptre 50" 1080P TV, so going to 4K should be an upgrade unless it's a really bad picture.
I would have bought something else but it is true 4k at least, so I guess they have that going for them. They're not the same company anymore but if you don't mind the blooming then get it.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I think without knowing, I had a pretty damn good TV in our living room to begin with. It was and old Toshiba 52hl167 I purchased years ago second hand. It was our primary TV, and when comparing it to the Vizio, my GF and I both agree the Toshiba looked better.

For us the Vizio was a huge step back. And honestly, we just decided it was not worth the hassle of dealing with returning a tv for a second time and just pulled the trigger on the LG CX Oled.

I guess its all relative, but for us the TV the Vizio was replacing looked better. The step back was noticeable to us.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think without knowing, I had a pretty damn good TV in our living room to begin with. It was and old Toshiba 52hl167 I purchased years ago second hand. It was our primary TV, and when comparing it to the Vizio, my GF and I both agree the Toshiba looked better.

For us the Vizio was a huge step back. And honestly, we just decided it was not worth the hassle of dealing with returning a tv for a second time and just pulled the trigger on the LG CX Oled.

I guess its all relative, but for us the TV the Vizio was replacing looked better. The step back was noticeable to us.
Well, thanks for the replies... told him to hold off for now.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts