AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 802 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
I’m watching the NFL playoffs on ESPN through YouTube TV. This is 720p that Apple TV is scaling to 4K and is pretty low quality. A PS5 commercial comes on and the banding is so bad that it made me try out the Vizio’s Contour Smoothing.

The effect is actually pretty good on Medium. High removes even more banding but also removes legit detail like in the reflection of the controller. (Ignore the blown out highlights. I raised the exposure so the dark banding was easier to see.)

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I’m watching the NFL playoffs on ESPN through YouTube TV. This is 720p that Apple TV is scaling to 4K and is pretty low quality. A PS5 commercial comes on and the banding is so bad that it made me try out the Vizio’s Contour Smoothing.

The effect is actually pretty good on Medium. High removes even more banding but also removes legit detail like in the reflection of the controller. (Ignore the blown out highlights. I raised the exposure so the dark banding was easier to see.)
720P looks bad on every 4K TV

·
Registered
4 Posts
New firmware just installed “5.10.15.11-1”

I enabled VRR 4K120 on Xbox and it appears to be working? It just finished though so I haven’t done much testing.

Going to test AV receiver as well and see if that issue has been addressed.

Edit: The Verge has update notes

·
Registered
185 Posts
New firmware just installed “5.10.15.11-1”

I enabled VRR 4K120 on Xbox and it appears to be working? It just finished though so I haven’t done much testing.

Going to test AV receiver as well and see if that issue has been addressed.

Edit: The Verge has update notes

geeze, those patch notes seem too good to be true lol. I hope my TV gets the update soon, i hate this update lottery system they do.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The update showed up for me today and I did a quick test with Series X and PS5. It took a factory reset and then a number of reboots, but everything HDMI 2.1 seems to be working. This is great news.

I tried 4k120 games on both consoles and they were good for the minute or two I tested them. I enabled VRR on the Series X, though I don't know if that requires game support. I only tested Ori.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the P75qx-h1. No update yet but really looking forward to see all the fixes especially on the HDMI-CEC. I had to turn CEC off on the TV because it was not playing well with my Yamaha RX-V6A receiver. Every time I turned on a device the receiver changes to the right input but then the TV just changes it to itself. Switch back manually and a minute later the TV once again changes the input. Same thing turning off devices. Everything turns of and the TV turns the receiver back on. Crossing my fingers.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the P75qx-h1. No update yet but really looking forward to see all the fixes especially on the HDMI-CEC. I had to turn CEC off on the TV because it was not playing well with my Yamaha RX-V6A receiver. Every time I turned on a device the receiver changes to the right input but then the TV just changes it to itself. Switch back manually and a minute later the TV once again changes the input. Same thing turning off devices. Everything turns of and the TV turns the receiver back on. Crossing my fingers.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Tv is playing nicely with my FireTV Cube now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanted to post that the new firmware fixed the issue I was having with my Pioneer AV receiver. It can now connect to the TV normally with HDMI 2.1 mode on. Before the update it would only show static unless the TV was set to HDMI 1.4, so really happy with the update!

Xbox appears to be fully working at 4K120 with VRR as far as I can tell. Everything looks great there.

The update really pushes this TV to the next level. I am very happy with it now.

I am still noticing two things though, both minor.

- If the Nvidia Shield is set to 4k60, if you play anything in Dolby Vision in Disney + and return to the menu it does a weird green screen glitch. It all works fine at 4K24, which I prefer anyway as I like to watch content in its native refresh rate. I did post to the Nvidia forums along with a few other people, so hopefully it’s something Nvidia can address.
-The Enhanced viewing angle setting seems to turn itself back on sometimes. I have it set to off but I notice it goes back to “on” by itself, seems sort of random. Interestingly, If you set VRR to “off” (non gaming mode, calibrated - does this even do anything?) edge enhancement ALWAYS turns back on when TV is turned on.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The enhanced viewing angle bug also has to do with VRR. It resets the viewing angle when VRR is changed. This can happen if you change it manually and also, it seems, if VRR is changed because of switching inputs, modes, whatever. The viewing angle stopped getting reset for me when I enabled VRR on everything and then left it alone.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I’m getting glitches when switching between consoles on ports 3 and 4. I’m going to try shutting down the Xbox completely instead of it’s standby mode. So far I’ve had to reboot the Xbox or TV every time.

I’m very glad to have the full feature set but it’s not a great experience yet. I don’t know which device is to blame but it’s a crapshoot every time the Xbox and Vizio handshake to switch modes. (It’s so annoying that Xbox can’t stay at 4K hdr for its UI.)

·
Registered
815 Posts
-The Enhanced viewing angle setting seems to turn itself back on sometimes. I have it set to off but I notice it goes back to “on” by itself, seems sort of random. Interestingly, If you set VRR to “off” (non gaming mode, calibrated - does this even do anything?) edge enhancement ALWAYS turns back on when TV is turned on.
Man, Vizio can never get their software right. I swear there is always some sort of setting that doesn't save right or resets itself automatically every firmware. Why is something so simple so hard for them to get right? It's got to be a little bit embarrassing.

Either way, looking at this new FW, it might actually tempt me to get an HDMI 2.1 TV finally. I have a PC with an RTX 3090 as well as a PS5, so I'll benefit for sure. Right now on a X950G stuck on 4K/60 with no VRR or 4K/120!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anyone have the ps5 working with 4k/120 through a receiver? I have a Denon AVR-S960H. ps5 works fine connected directly to HDMI 3 with the new firmware, just can't seem to get it working through my receiver.

edit: oops nevermind, im dumb. grabbed the wrong hdmi cable, it wasn't hdmi 2.1. It works fine now with a proper cable.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Any PC 120 Hz users should avoid updating. 3000 series owners report random artifacts with VRR, and it halved the resolution at 1440p120 (I'm a 2000 series owner without HDMI 2.1). Additionally, game mode still skips frames at 1440p120, and game mode off has artifacts (though is full resolution and has no additional input lag)

I got this TV at a great bargain expecting software issues, so I don't have much to complain about. t would be awesome if one could downgrade firmware.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I just got the new update yesterday. To those of you who have the Xbox Series X working at 4k/120hz with VRR: Did you have to do anything special to get this working? I tried it this morning but no luck. It wouldn't switch to 120hz with VRR unless I was using 1080p resolution.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So I just got the new update yesterday. To those of you who have the Xbox Series X working at 4k/120hz with VRR: Did you have to do anything special to get this working? I tried it this morning but no luck. It wouldn't switch to 120hz with VRR unless I was using 1080p resolution.
When I switched mine to 120hz it dropped the resolution to 1080, but i just manually changed it back to 4k and it worked while keeping 120hz.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I switched mine to 120hz it dropped the resolution to 1080, but i just manually changed it back to 4k and it worked while keeping 120hz.
That is what I tried, but every time I switched to 4k the screen just went wonky and I'd have to wait for it to revert back to 1080. May have to try a factory reset or something. Appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
39 Posts
New update is working well here.. Need to try 4K120 again with the Xbox though. The CEC/Atmos/DTS wonkiness seems mostly to be fixed now.

While watching the Expanse on Amazon Prime I have to tinker with the settings a lot to get a 'space' picture I am happy with. I bet that show looks gorgeous on OLED.

781 - 800 of 802 Posts