AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1187 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmm, I'm at work so I can't check this right now but I suppose it's possible I don't have them plugged in correctly then. Is one of those ports on the side the earc port as well?
For the P85QX-H1 eARC is on port 1 which is on the bottom along with port 2. The full bandwidth ports 3 and 4 are on the side.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately one of the things I really like is 4k UHD blu rays. I don't believe the shield would help with watching blu rays would they? The picture quality is outstanding but damn the motion quality is horrible. I mean it's incredibly jarring during scenes where the camera pans as I stated.
Unfortunately not, although some content is better than others. Dolby Vision content is better for me than HDR10, which has some really annoying backlight flashing/flickering. We can only hope Vizio is paying attention and will push out firmware updates to resolve some of these problems. They aren't coming out with new TVs this year, so they have plenty of time to resolve it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just ordered this TV for Saturday delivery. Very excited but concerned with flicker. Rtings says only with backlight at 100 can you eliminate flicker. Is that how everyone has it setup to avoid flicker or has it been resolved with firmware update?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
It's very annoying but there is a workaround. The enhanced viewing angle setting gets reset when something changes the VRR setting in the game options. So the solution is to make sure every mode has VRR set to the same value. It’s just the value in the settings that matters, not whether the source sends VRR. You can have VRR set to auto in all modes and enhanced viewing angle should remain fixed whether or not a source sends VRR at some point.
Just want to confirm this has worked without issue now for 2 days. Enhanced viewing angle has stayed off even after multiple power cycles. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Just ordered this TV for Saturday delivery. Very excited but concerned with flicker. Rtings says only with backlight at 100 can you eliminate flicker. Is that how everyone has it setup to avoid flicker or has it been resolved with firmware update?
That's interesting but HDR locks you out of adjusting the backlight settings doesn't it? I don't see it (much) on Dolby Vision tho, only HDR10 is the problem.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Does anyone else get judder or experience the screen kind of jerking? This happens mainly during sweeping or panning shots in movies.

Everything else I've seemed to have gotten great on the TV. The picture quality is outstanding!

Really my only complaint is the judder I'm referring to and the fact that my Xbox Series X states my TV doesn't support [email protected] fps even though this TV is supposed to. I've tried using motion control btw but it doesn't seem to affect the screen jerking at all. It's really, really apparent if you watch something on this TV and then move onto any other set. What's funny is it doesn't happen with video games at all, or at least I haven't noticed it. Watching Blu Rays or Netflix though and it's easily catchable.
Have you tried upping the Judder reduction in Picture > Advanced Picture > Motion Control > Judder Reduction

Alternatively, I have a Nvidia Shield and they give the option to switch between 24hz and 60hz. For movies I use the 24 hz option which removes the stutter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone else get judder or experience the screen kind of jerking? This happens mainly during sweeping or panning shots in movies.

Everything else I've seemed to have gotten great on the TV. The picture quality is outstanding!

Really my only complaint is the judder I'm referring to and the fact that my Xbox Series X states my TV doesn't support [email protected] fps even though this TV is supposed to. I've tried using motion control btw but it doesn't seem to affect the screen jerking at all. It's really, really apparent if you watch something on this TV and then move onto any other set. What's funny is it doesn't happen with video games at all, or at least I haven't noticed it. Watching Blu Rays or Netflix though and it's easily catchable.
I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately one of the things I really like is 4k UHD blu rays. I don't believe the shield would help with watching blu rays would they? The picture quality is outstanding but damn the motion quality is horrible. I mean it's incredibly jarring during scenes where the camera pans as I stated.
Personally I go in the motion control section and put the Judder reduction on 2 and reduce motion blur on 10.

It helps and is low enough that there is no soap opera effect.

Its not perfect but better then having them off and eyes may eventually adjust to what ever judder there.

Make sure film mode is on also

Hope that helps.

I noticed Flicker on Calibrated dark but not Calibrated... I looked to see what the major difference was when even all my setting were basically the same..

LOCAL CONTRAST seems to be the issue. I turn is it off and the flicker goes away.. Maybe I dont know what flickering is but I saw something when it was on.. Turned it off and picture is fine.. No Delayed light response from light to dark scenes either.

Mind you I am only using this for movies on a 4K blu ray player and have not streamed really yet. But so far so great with this TV

Just got this TV two days ago and I am loving it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Personally I go in the motion control section and put the Judder reduction on 2 and reduce motion blur on 10.

It helps and is low enough that there is no soap opera effect.

Its not perfect but better then having them off and eyes may eventually adjust to what ever judder there.

Make sure film mode is on also

Hope that helps.

I noticed Flicker on Calibrated dark but not Calibrated... I looked to see what the major difference was when even all my setting were basically the same..

LOCAL CONTRAST seems to be the issue. I turn is it off and the flicker goes away.. Maybe I dont know what flickering is but I saw something when it was on.. Turned it off and picture is fine.. No Delayed light response from light to dark scenes either.

Mind you I am only using this for movies on a 4K blu ray player and have not streamed really yet. But so far so great with this TV

Just got this TV two days ago and I am loving it.
Local contrast like enhanced viewing angle kept getting re enabled for me. Many concerns were fixed by getting it to stay off, but on SDR content with backlight at 50 and active full array at medium I sometimes notice a flicker in some parts of the image

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got the set a week ago, and for the first few days I was disappointed to see a 1/2-second or so delay in the light response between light and dark scenes. There was also a flicker present that wasn't motion flicker, but just occasional light flickering in some static scenes (little to no motion)

These lighting issues were primarily with 4K SDR content streamed from the Apple TV 4K.

I turned off Local Contrast a couple of days ago and it seems to have solved my problem, so I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Delivery was a few days late but finally go this TV up. This thing is make your eyes water bright. I have very little DSE but do see some vignetting around the edges. Thankfully no apparent red tint. Overall backlight quality looks great and I don't expect any issues during normal content viewing. Did notice the light flicker, will mess with local contrast tomorrow in the hopes of eliminating. Very nice blacks, minimal blooming but I also wasn't in super dark environment. A bit dissapointed with upscaling but will compare against a 4k fire stick and if need be get a shield.

I will be comparing this to an 85" Samsung QN90A if it ever gets here. Ordered it nearly a month ago and Samsung says here on Thursday but delivery company says next Monday. Then again Samsung was supposed to delivery it last Friday so who knows. If I can resolve the flicker and improve some black crush/shadow detail I don't know how the Samsung will prove it's price premium.

Do any of you use the ambient light function? This TV will mostly be used in bright environment but it would be nice to have it automatically adjust backlight when it's dark so I don't get a sunburn.

You guys just using gama to help reduce black crush? I didn't see much change when messing with shadow detail.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Does anybody else have a fix for how this tv handles low light scenes? It looks like heavily pixelated as if you are streaming 480p in dark scenes.

This makes no sense since it does it even on UHD Blu-ray’s....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
So yesterday was fun. First off I think I broke my harmony remote, will be calling them today but hard reset the hub and remote and still can't sync/connect after trying to two different computers and the app through my andriod; sorry for the vent but becoming increasingly unhappy with a very expensive remote. After the family watched a few hours of TV I came home and got this awful green screen and flickering when using the native apps. It doesn't happen on the home screen but once you access an app its disturbingly obvious (on every content I checked SDR, HDR, Dolby etc). It didn't happen through 4k firestick TV ran through my reciever. Google told me others have seen this and the "fixes" were pretty wide ranging. For me I was able to just "reboot" the TV and that solved it. Kind of scary for awhile, thought I bricked my TV or something.

I haven't seen any issues with low light scenes looking like 480p, just some black crush, then again I have only logged a few hours of various content watching (all stremed through native apps or firestick). I will say blacks look very good, but I feel like a lot of shadow details are lost through processing (black crush vs blooming etc).

The only other thing I'm finding annoying is my settings don't seem to be saving. I like natural color and no sharpness, but this TV really likes sharpness of 20 and warm color as its changed it to those values on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
So yesterday was fun. First off I think I broke my harmony remote, will be calling them today but hard reset the hub and remote and still can't sync/connect after trying to two different computers and the app through my andriod; sorry for the vent but becoming increasingly unhappy with a very expensive remote. After the family watched a few hours of TV I came home and got this awful green screen and flickering when using the native apps. It doesn't happen on the home screen but once you access an app its disturbingly obvious (on every content I checked SDR, HDR, Dolby etc). It didn't happen through 4k firestick TV ran through my reciever. Google told me others have seen this and the "fixes" were pretty wide ranging. For me I was able to just "reboot" the TV and that solved it. Kind of scary for awhile, thought I bricked my TV or something.

I haven't seen any issues with low light scenes looking like 480p, just some black crush, then again I have only logged a few hours of various content watching (all stremed through native apps or firestick). I will say blacks look very good, but I feel like a lot of shadow details are lost through processing (black crush vs blooming etc).

The only other thing I'm finding annoying is my settings don't seem to be saving. I like natural color and no sharpness, but this TV really likes sharpness of 20 and warm color as its changed it to those values on more than one occasion.
Vizio's Smartcast apps suck. I highly recommend getting a 2019 Nvidia Shield Pro just for the AI Upscaling feature alone, it makes a big difference on this TV.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Has anyone done any comparison of the upscaling and overall quality from the Apple TV 4K vs Nvidia Shield Pro for this TV?
Nvidia’s AI Upscaling is better, no comparison. You turn off all the TVs enhancements like the motion compensation and rely completely on the Shield.

I’m watching Stargate Universe right now and at times it looks amazing.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Has anyone done any comparison of the upscaling and overall quality from the Apple TV 4K vs Nvidia Shield Pro for this TV?
This post will be pretty rant-filled, but I’ll throw my opinion out there.

My experience with the NVIDIA Shield Pro wasn’t great at all. in fact, it was downright terrible. So much so that I returned it. The AI upscaling was only usable on the low setting IMO, as otherwise it created too much of a digital sharpened look, even on high quality 1080p source material. This is with sharpness on the TV set to 0. It looked really bad on medium and high, with basic mode looking the most natural out of all of them which is essentially standard upscaling. If you are after an accurate picture, don’t use the AI upscaling feature.

Don’t get me started on the lack of auto refresh rate and dynamic range switching on a $200 media box. I tried using the most popular refresh rate app and it worked sometimes but not others. Granted it switched with PLEX and KODI as those apps have that feature built in, but otherwise it was pretty much garbage for all other streaming apps and services. PLEX functioned for a bit, but then the server would randomly go offline and I’d have to reset the Shield and start over. It would work for a while, then wouldn’t again. I also tried using NVIDIA’s own built in refresh rate switcher beta, which ended up working on Netflix and nothing else. It crashed Disney+ every time.

I could also never get GeForce Now and Gamestream to function properly, which is unfortunate as I was most looking forward to using Gamestream to access my PC in my theater. This was after setting a static IP for the Shield and opening ports in my router.

I see the Shield recommended a lot, and on paper it has a lot of great features and functionality. But it’s probably one of the most frustrating devices I’ve ever set up, and is marred with so many technical issues and hoops to jump through to get things to work, that I can’t recommend it at all. I’ll stick with the Apple 4K TV, which does mostly everything better than the Shield Pro does. The quality within streaming apps is identical once the Shield Pro is configured correctly and outputs 24fps, but to me it wasn’t worth the extra steps to achieve what the Apple 4K TV does automatically. If you’re looking for a KODI or PLEX box, I’d look at alternative solutions before you go with the Shield.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I'm loving this TV since setting it up a few weeks ago. But.......over the past week, a vertical colored line randomly started showing up on the right side of the screen.

It initially showed as a red line and disappeared after a few minutes. Now it's appearing more frequently and for longer periods of time and it changed to green. It isn't tied to any specific source and restarting the TV doesn't seem to fix it. However, like the first encounter, it eventually seems to go away.

Any ideas what causes this? Since it isn't permanent, is it possible it's related to firmware?

I'm at the 60 day mark since purchasing it with the SquareTrade warranty at Costco. Thinking I should swap it out for a new one... Although, what happens to the ST warranty? Anyone have any experience transferring it to a new TV? Otherwise, it looks like I'd be refunded a prorated amount since I've had the warranty for more than 30 days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not TV specific, but here is the TLDR comparison:

The Nvidia Shield advantage is that it offers lossless audio of local media playback for those who rip content and play it back locally.
The Apple TV 4K advantage is that it offers better video from steaming apps with better support and higher bitrates.

Relevant discussion: Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV 4K

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Apple TV 4k does not support 24Hz output, which is the majority of Netflix original content and a lot of other content as well. I would stay away just for that reason. The Shield has a frame rate matching feature and some apps that do a good job. You should easily be able to figure out framerates and use the apps to switch to them on the fly.

And you can adjust or turn off the AI setting on the Shield to your liking, and it looks fine for me on most of the content I watch. You can do a realtime split-screen comparison of it with it on/off.

Yes, the Shield has its issues. But I've owned pretty much every streaming platform out there, and if you have newer Vizio TV with Airplay and an Apple device like an iPad or iPhone there is absolutely no reason to own a ATV 4k.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Yes, the Shield has its issues. But I've owned pretty much every streaming platform out there, and if you have newer Vizio TV with Airplay and an Apple device like an iPad or iPhone there is absolutely no reason to own a ATV 4k.
... unless you use the AVR/pre-pro as your central hub, and not the TV. eARC hasn't proven to be the most reliable solution for many combinations of equipment. Additionally, the newest Vizio TVs appear to have some eARC issues of their own (not that I've experienced, I don't use it. Purely basing that off back scroll in this thread so YMMV).

That being said, I would agree with you 100% if eARC were in a truly working state across all the gear combinations people have.

Disclaimer: I have a bunch of ATV4Ks in the house, but I also have a Shield Pro arriving tomorrow.

1121 - 1140 of 1187 Posts