AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1191 Posts

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
... unless you use the AVR/pre-pro as your central hub, and not the TV. eARC hasn't proven to be the most reliable solution for many combinations of equipment. Additionally, the newest Vizio TVs appear to have some eARC issues of their own (not that I've experienced, I don't use it. Purely basing that off back scroll in this thread so YMMV).

That being said, I would agree with you 100% if eARC were in a truly working state across all the gear combinations people have.

Disclaimer: I have a bunch of ATV4Ks in the house, but I also have a Shield Pro arriving tomorrow.
What's the difference? No streaming services support lossless audio anyways. And Vizio's eARC implementation is screwed up- only PCM 2.0 support. Hopefully something they'll eventually fix, but this is Vizio we're talking about here so who knows?

Also, no 24Hz on the ATV 4k. I can't stress that enough, and no bitstreamed audio on the ATV4K. I had mine sitting in a box for a year and once I got a TV with Airplay support I just sold it.

That said on a large TV like this one the AI Upscaling makes a big difference, especially for lower-quality streaming services like CNN/NBC/ABC, etc, which tend to stream a lot of their content in 720p/29Hz.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
What's the difference? No streaming services support lossless audio anyways. And Vizio's eARC implementation is screwed up- only PCM 2.0 support. Hopefully something they'll eventually fix, but this is Vizio we're talking about here so who knows?

Also, no 24Hz on the ATV 4k. I can't stress that enough, and no bitstreamed audio on the ATV4K. I had mine sitting in a box for a year and once I got a TV with Airplay support I just sold it.

That said on a large TV like this one the AI Upscaling makes a big difference, especially for lower-quality streaming services like CNN/NBC/ABC, etc, which tend to stream a lot of their content in 720p/29Hz.
The difference is the capability to view AirPlay video content at all. There has to be an AirPlay target somewhere. If you're not using the TV-based apps like me (I really don't like anyone's TV-based apps; at least on the current Vizio and Sony TV's I own), the only choice for using the Apple ecosystem for video content is an AppleTV. That's my only point.

We're in violent agreement on everything else :)

I've grown frustrated with the lack of ATV 24fps support that I finally bought a Shield Pro to evaluate. I've also recently implemented Plex for local content only (i.e. no remote streaming) to improve the quality of both video and audio. InfusePro on the ATV is okay, but it looks like the Shield Pro is better in all regards on that front.

My only rub will be the relatively large amount of content I have in the ATV ecosystem. I've (re)purchased some of our favorites already as 4K UHD BluRay and ripped them to Plex. The difference vs streaming, even on ATV, is pretty dramatic. I hope my expectations for the Shield Pro aren't too inflated at this point, but I doubt they are.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
The difference is the capability to view AirPlay video content at all. There has to be an AirPlay target somewhere. If you're not using the TV-based apps like me (I really don't like anyone's TV-based apps; at least on the current Vizio and Sony TV's I own), the only choice for using the Apple ecosystem for video content is an AppleTV. That's my only point.
You can Airplay to Vizios and do Homekit as well. 24Hz content works right this way, and you can view the extras too (which you can't do through the AppleTV app) which is why I said you don't need an ATV 4K anymore.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Last night I watched Kong/Godzilla and wanted 24P so I used airplay for the first time, had several instances of the video freezing for a second before continuing. Switched to the Fire Cube app after a while and had no problems (except the movie was HDR10 instead of DV). Would this be buffering of sorts? Think the problem is caused by my mobile device or by the tv?

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Last night I watched Kong/Godzilla and wanted 24P so I used airplay for the first time, had several instances of the video freezing for a second before continuing. Switched to the Fire Cube app after a while and had no problems (except the movie was HDR10 instead of DV). Would this be buffering of sorts? Think the problem is caused by my mobile device or by the tv?
Could be any number of things, you could try soft-rebooting your TV and see if that helps. HBO buffers for me as well and I have gigabit service both ways.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
You can Airplay to Vizios and do Homekit as well. 24Hz content works right this way, and you can view the extras too (which you can't do through the AppleTV app) which is why I said you don't need an ATV 4K anymore.
Subject to the caveat of IF eARC works . Which it doesn’t on the Vizio 85” right now. What’s the point of all the fancy audio gear if we can’t use it properly?

But also, cool! I didn’t realize they supported airplay video as well. We just use airplay for music, and background music directly to the AVR most of the time.

I’ve also used TVs as a dumb displays for so long I haven’t paid attention to anything other than display specs. I really treat them like a projector TBH. Just show the thing I want you to show and shut up! LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
Subject to the caveat of IF eARC works . Which it doesn’t on the Vizio 85” right now. What’s the point of all the fancy audio gear if we can’t use it properly?

But also, cool! I didn’t realize they supported airplay video as well. We just use airplay for music, and background music directly to the AVR most of the time.

I’ve also used TVs as a dumb displays for so long I haven’t paid attention to anything other than display specs. I really treat them like a projector TBH. Just show the thing I want you to show and shut up! LOL.

for eARC works with connected devices like my ATV4K and UB9000 player... no issues getting Atmos/DTS-X...

hit or miss using the built in Apps.. on Apple+ I have toggle eARC off/on to get atmos.

my eARC is connected to SR8012 AVR. which basically just sound proccessor and amp now..

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
for eARC works with connected devices like my ATV4K and UB9000 player... no issues getting Atmos/DTS-X...

hit or miss using the built in Apps.. on Apple+ I have toggle eARC off/on to get atmos.

my eARC is connected to SR8012 AVR. which basically just sound proccessor and amp now..
I really, really hope Vizio adds PCM 7.1 support to eARC. I can't game with VRR on my PC with 7.1 surround sound right now unless I buy a HDMI 2.1 receiver.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I really, really hope Vizio adds PCM 7.1 support to eARC. I can't game with VRR on my PC with 7.1 surround sound right now unless I buy a HDMI 2.1 receiver.
Do you have multiple HDMI or DisplayPort outputs in your PC? It’s not ideal, but I go HDMI straight to the TV and use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable going to the receiver for audio only. It works flawlessly and you get 7.1 PCM as well as Dolby Atmos if you have the Dolby Access App and a game that supports it.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Do you have multiple HDMI or DisplayPort outputs in your PC? It’s not ideal, but I go HDMI straight to the TV and use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable going to the receiver for audio only. It works flawlessly and you get 7.1 PCM as well as Dolby Atmos if you have the Dolby Access App and a game that supports it.
My cable run is too long, like 50ft. As it stands right now I am using the HDMI port to the TV and a USB-C HDMI adapter to my PC display, I was pretty lucky to find a reseller on Amazon selling a true 50’ fiber optic HDMI cable for $20. That’s not likely to happen again any time soon.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My cable run is too long, like 50ft. As it stands right now I am using the HDMI port to the TV and a USB-C HDMI adapter to my PC display, I was pretty lucky to find a reseller on Amazon selling a true 50’ fiber optic HDMI cable for $20. That’s not likely to happen again any time soon.
I gotcha. That cable run does make it tricky. Hopefully they’ll make it possible on this set for eARC to pass 7.1 PCM. There’s no reason it shouldn’t. I currently don’t have an HDMI 2.1 capable receiver, so I have to go the two cable route when I hook my PC up.

I will say, it’s nice having a TV that supports variable refresh rate via G-Sync. That’s what has kept me from PC gaming on my old TV. Not anymore. I just wish my 2070 Super had HDMI 2.1, but can’t really complain too much considering how much better the PC gaming experience has been over my previous Vizio P65-C1.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts

Awesome it’s (mostly) working for you. While my receiver is only HDMI 2.0b, I find that using it as the connection hub for everything “just works”. I don’t have to fiddle around or toggle things off/on.

I’m not so patiently waiting for reliable HDMI 2.1 pre-pros to be released so I can take full advantage of all the features there. I game on Xbox Series X and 120 Hz game content is starting to appear. I’d like to be ready for that. ... but the cables are still unreliable at the distances I need too. Just an awkward transition period.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
I gotcha. That cable run does make it tricky. Hopefully they’ll make it possible on this set for eARC to pass 7.1 PCM. There’s no reason it shouldn’t. I currently don’t have an HDMI 2.1 capable receiver, so I have to go the two cable route when I hook my PC up.

I will say, it’s nice having a TV that supports variable refresh rate via G-Sync. That’s what has kept me from PC gaming on my old TV. Not anymore. I just wish my 2070 Super had HDMI 2.1, but can’t really complain too much considering how much better the PC gaming experience has been over my previous Vizio P65-C1.
The 2070 (like my 2080Ti) does, kind of have HDMI 2.1, it shows up that way, you're just limited to 60Hz VRR instead of 120Hz.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've found the easiest way to display 24p content on the Apple TV (tvOS 14.5) is to turn on Match Frame Rate. You are limited to setting the UI to either (NTSC) 59.94 Hz or 29.97 Hz, but Apple TV will match its refresh rate to the original frame rate of content.

My PQX reports 24p under "system information" when this setting is enabled and 24 fps content is playing on the Apple TV.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
I've found the easiest way to display 24p content on the Apple TV (tvOS 14.5) is to turn on Match Frame Rate. You are limited to setting the UI to either (NTSC) 59.94 Hz or 29.97 Hz, but Apple TV will match its refresh rate to the original frame rate of content.

My PQX reports 24p under "system information" when this setting is enabled and 24 fps content is playing on the Apple TV.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-for-24-000-video.2961262/

It doesn't work. The ATV4K displays all 24Hz content as 23.976, so you will get a stutter. Vizio's "Info" displays both 23.976 and 24Hz as 24p. If you Airplay from an Apple device to your Vizio it displays 24Hz content properly.

As I said there is more and more true 24p encoded content every day, including most of Netflix's originals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will let you know Monday or Tuesday (delivery of my preordered Samsung has been awful). Will have 85" QN90a matched against 85PQX.

Been quite impressed with 85PQX so far. Got a clean panel. Reflections could be better and there is some black crush but overall I think the new Samsung is going to have a hard time proving it's worth twice the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-for-24-000-video.2961262/

It doesn't work. The ATV4K displays all 24Hz content as 23.976, so you will get a stutter. Vizio's "Info" displays both 23.976 and 24Hz as 24p. If you Airplay from an Apple device to your Vizio it displays 24Hz content properly.

As I said there is more and more true 24p encoded content every day, including most of Netflix's originals.
It's taken Apple TV 4K 3 years, but 14.5 supports integer frame rates, so both 24 and 23.976 now Apple TV: tvOS 14.5 to support both 24.000fps and 23.976fps

1141 - 1160 of 1191 Posts