AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1187 Posts

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
It's taken Apple TV 4K 3 years, but 14.5 supports integer frame rates, so both 24 and 23.976 now Apple TV: tvOS 14.5 to support both 24.000fps and 23.976fps
They might, but they still haven't implemented it. And as I said if you have a TV with Airplay and an Apple device (iPhone or iPad) there's really no need for a standalone ATV4K anymore- they both do the same thing. Plus with Airplay you get real bitstreamed audio.

Makes no difference to me as I sold my 32GB ATV4K for 2x what I paid for it. I have an iPad and combined with Airplay it works just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you have multiple HDMI or DisplayPort outputs in your PC? It’s not ideal, but I go HDMI straight to the TV and use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable going to the receiver for audio only. It works flawlessly and you get 7.1 PCM as well as Dolby Atmos if you have the Dolby Access App and a game that supports it.
How did you configure that setup on Windows and your AVR?

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
My TV is really bright at the corners when scenes are dark, it’s pretty noticeable.. I’m disabled, It’s mounted and there’s no way I’d be able to return it. I’m hoping calibration might make it less noticeable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My TV is really bright at the corners when scenes are dark, it’s pretty noticeable.. I’m disabled, It’s mounted and there’s no way I’d be able to return it. I’m hoping calibration might make it less noticeable.
I've been noticing the same things recently...

It's like there's four blotches of light in each color. I'm not sure why I didn't notice this at first but I've been seeing it a lot lately.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
I've been noticing the same things recently...

It's like there's four blotches of light in each color. I'm not sure why I didn't notice this at first but I've been seeing it a lot lately.
In my case it comes pretty far into the screen on both sides. It looks like backlight bleed. I'm watching The Expanse on Amazon Prime, which has a lot of really dark space scenes. I haven't noticed it really in HD/SDR content, more HDR.

I also noticed that while watching The Expanse on my bedroom TV using my Amazon stick it's in Atmos. The built in Prime app on the TV doesn't support Atmos on Prime Video?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just got the P85QX-H1 today via Amazon. So far, it's been awesome. I copied the color calibration settings from rtings and noticed I had a pretty noticable red tint, but only in dark areas. I know they recommend not to copy it, but since you can just reset it I figured why not.

What is everyone else using? Any stock calibration settings other than the ones listed on rtings? Or any recommendations?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just got the P85QX-H1 today via Amazon. So far, it's been awesome. I copied the color calibration settings from rtings and noticed I had a pretty noticable red tint, but only in dark areas. I know they recommend not to copy it, but since you can just reset it I figured why not.

What is everyone else using? Any stock calibration settings other than the ones listed on rtings? Or any recommendations?
I used the same settings and noticed the red tint as well

If you go to the color settings and look at Red Gain, it should be at 1. Turning that down to 0 takes the red tint away. You'll have to decide which one you like better

I'm not sure which is "accurate" but I ended up using 0 because I think it looks better overall.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I used a pure white image to compare my iPhone Pro and the TV. With them side by side, I could see the Vizio pushed red a bit. I set the red gain (or bias, i forget) to -3. It's a very, very poor man's calibration but I'm happier with the result.

If you do use an iPhone, be sure to turn off True Tone and Night Shift.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The P65qx-h1 is amazing. The 900h doesn't even come close and P65q (not x) is inferior.

I started off by buying the P65q-h1. It was bright, the HDR really popped, I did notice dark scenes didn't look as good as the bright scenes and had some black crush and gradation problems. the motion was decent but I would have to play around with the judder to get it smooth sometimes. It wasn't too big of a problem for me. I hooked it up to my PC and I noticed some really bad DSE that looked similar to a fence pattern. It was noticeable in some content. If you look at the grey uniformity picture on Rting, mine looked very similar.

After this I figured I might as well try Sony, so I went ahead and bought the 900h. The interface was much smoother, quick and more animated. The set barely had any visible DSE except for the four corners of the screen. The motion was similar, I had to set motion smoothing to 1 to get smooth motion, leaving it off had too much stutter.
I played the Mandalorian on disney+ and instantly got buyers remorse. The brightness was not sufficient and the HDR did not pop. I also noticed the black bars (letter box) on Sony are almost twice as large as the Vizio when watching movies which then makes the screen seem smaller.

I returned the 900h and decided to give Vizio another chance. I looked at the reviews of the P65QX-H1 and decided to purchase it and right away I noticed the grey uniformity and DSE was much better.
The image quality of the p65qx-h1 blows away the 900h and P65q. On the native app I can leave motion interpolation off and it plays smooth for most content. The color gradation is also much better and no black crush. For example the scene 10 minutes into Black Panther in the forest. It looked horrible on both the 900h and P65q. 900h I could barely see what was happening on the screen and the gradation on the P65q was horrible.

The HDR, especially the Dolby Vision on this set is incredible. You will see details you never noticed before.

I think maybe if I never seen the HDR on the P65q I would have loved the 900h, and If the P65q didn't have bad DSE and gradation I would have been satisfied, but now I'm happy they both had issues.

Overall I'm very satisfied with this TV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used the same settings and noticed the red tint as well

If you go to the color settings and look at Red Gain, it should be at 1. Turning that down to 0 takes the red tint away. You'll have to decide which one you like better

I'm not sure which is "accurate" but I ended up using 0 because I think it looks better overall.
I changed it to 0 and 1 and it still had the same reddish tint on black areas for me. Did you copy both the color settings and the white balances? For some reason the red tint isn't present on HDR10 content, but it is there for Dolby Vision content.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
When I get a chance I'm going to go into the local Best Buy and see about their calibration. I know they use ISF tools and THX but I'm not sure if the techs themselves are ISF certified. It only costs me $50 for both my TVs, so I might as well let them give it a shot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I changed it to 0 and 1 and it still had the same reddish tint on black areas for me. Did you copy both the color settings and the white balances? For some reason the red tint isn't present on HDR10 content, but it is there for Dolby Vision content.
Yes I copied all the white balance and color settings. Personally when I change the red gain to 0, I see no reds.

However, from understanding, there are some of the panels for the PQX that have a red tint issue. I believe it's a defective panel issue.

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me, but that's the infromation I've found after watching like a million reviews on the set. I was worried about the red tint but was relieved to not have it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I copied all the white balance and color settings. Personally when I change the red gain to 0, I see no reds.

However, from understanding, there are some of the panels for the PQX that have a red tint issue. I believe it's a defective panel issue.

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me, but that's the infromation I've found after watching like a million reviews on the set. I was worried about the red tint but was relieved to not have it.
Same here. No red tint issue.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
I find the local dimming issues annoying as hell, it’s making watching show like the Expanse almost impossible for me. The TV keeps adjusting bright to dark constantly.
Doesn’t seem to be an issue for me on SD/HD content, only HDR.

Im hoping the calibrator knows what he’s doing. I’ll specifically point the issue out to him and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I find the local dimming issues annoying as hell, it’s making watching show like the Expanse almost impossible for me. The TV keeps adjusting bright to dark constantly.
Doesn’t seem to be an issue for me on SD/HD content, only HDR.

Im hoping the calibrator knows what he’s doing. I’ll specifically point the issue out to him and see what he thinks.
That issue pops up for me sometimes as well. In fact, I think it's my only complaint. Let us know if he can address it.

I have Local Contrast off and Active Full Array set to medium, which seems to have helped (but not eliminated it).

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
That issue pops up for me sometimes as well. In fact, I think it's my only complaint. Let us know if he can address it.

I have Local Contrast off and Active Full Array set to medium, which seems to have helped (but not eliminated it).
Yeah, I just did the same myself but this seems to defeat the purpose of having the extra brightness this TV is supposed to put out for HDR. Vizio really needs to fix this,

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
The more I watch this TV the more I realize it has the worst backlight bleed I’ve ever seen. It comes almost 1/3 in towards the center on both sides.

It hasn’t been 90 days yet for me but I have no way of unmounting it/remounting to exchange for another.

1161 - 1180 of 1187 Posts