AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dropped by Best Buy today and saw the new 2020 Samsung Q900TS and the Q90T for the first time and here are my observations:

I have a 75" Sony Z9D which still takes my breath away when I watch it. All I want is an 85" Z9D, but Sony never made one. Instead they made the 85" Z9G which just looks too weird to me with its Jay Leno double chin and Frankenstein forehead—not to mention it appears they are going backwards with their innovation and value proposition!?!! I just can't for the life of me understand how Sony could make a TV like the Z9D and instead of moving forward they have been moving backwards!?!! I am very disappointed with Sony's lack of progress...

On the flip side of the coin it is looking like Samsung just leapfrogged Sony for the first time since the Z9D.

I was surprised to see Samsung had the new 2020 TV models up at Best Buy, but the new 2020 Sony Models were NOT there yet.

The 85" Q900TS is an impressive beast, but there are some challenges I see with it. I HATE, HATE, HATE silver bezels as they elementally compete with the picture on the screen. In other words, if I was King of the World I would outlaw all bezels that are not black. I LOVE Black bezels as they make the image on the screen pop. As I have mentioned before, there is a reason when movie theater screens are surrounded with black and NOT silver.

The challenge is that the Q900TS has a very shiny, highly reflective albeit super skinny bezel (pictured below) which I find to be distracting and annoying. In my opinion, it would look so much better if it was black (I guess I could always use a Sharpie on it :)

Also, I find the bezel on the Q900TS to be kind of deceptive in the sense that if you look closely at the side view, the back of the panel behind the silver bezel slightly bulges out. In other words, Samsung did this on purpose to make the Q900TS look skinner than it really is, in the same way Apple did this with their MacBook Air. Keep in mind this TV is currently $9K.

The bezel on the the Q90T is a beautiful matte dark black (pictured below from the front and back). Its bezel is thicker than the Q900TS, but lacks the goofy bulge, and I really like the look of the fat skinny bezel which looks like a substantial picture frame. In my mind it looks more masculine and clean, whereas the Q900TS looks more dainty and feminine, like the TV is wearing earrings or jewelry...Distracting like a thumb ring or nose ring...

Regarding the picture quality, the Q900TS was NOT next to the Q90T so I had a really challenging time comparing them. Both had VERY colorful vibrant screens with amazing color volume and from what I could see had great blacks, and they were VERY Bright!!! As you can see with the image below Samsung still has demo footage with the exaggerated weird fluorescent (unnatural) green grass, and I don't know why they do this. Everybody is saying Samsung has caught up to Sony in color science, so I don't know why Samsung wouldn't show of that progress!?!!

I will say both sets were very impressive and to see an 85" inch with this type of amazing image makes my eyes smile...I am convinced that if you want a truly immersive visual experience that rivals any movie theater you need to go 85" or larger. 75" and below looks like a big TV, but 85" and bigger looks like a serious home theater. For the record, I have NEVER liked any type of projection screen as they look weak and washed out and lack precise geometry. OLED TV's are nice but they look so dark and dim to me when compared to an excellent LED with much higher peak brightness...

The Q90T is exactly half the price of the Q900TS, which is a huge difference. In my opinion the skinny silver bezel on the Q900TS is symbolism over substance. I plan to go to a different store to see them side by side, and when I do I will update this mini-review with my observations.

Also, I am really curious to see the upcoming 85" Vizio P Series Quantum P85QX-H1 which will retail for only $2999 while featuring 792 Zones and full HDMI 2.1 ports with 48Gbps, that can reach a 3,000-nit peak brightness. I have never considered owning a Vizio before, but it looks like it might rival Sony and Samsung for much less $$$$ which would be fascinating...

One thing is for sure and that is the fact that 2020 is the year of the 85" screen!!!! It's interesting to see 85" TVs finally entering into the mainstream and becoming relatively affordable...

Another thing I keep thinking about is that it appears 8K TVs may be overkill today as from what I understand a 4K image does not look any better on it, and there is almost no 8K video available today...Also, TV technology is moving so quickly it seems like investing $10K today might be a mistake as Micro LED is coming up right around the corner...

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm looking at 85" as well. I currently have a 75" Sony 940E

I looked at the q90T and Q900T side to side. The q900T seems to have a more expensive build to my eyes -- the q90T bezel seemed a little more plasticky and I did not like how prominent the Samsung logo was in bright white. The Infinity screen on the q900T is impressive looking - I like the zero bezel look to the picture.

Can't tell anything with demo footage -- the viewing angles on the 900T seemed better. Colors and blacks seemed a little nicer, but that could be bias.

I'm probably going to get a Sony Z8H. The design looks more elegant than the Z9G and I just prefer Sony to Samsung, having owned several of both. I have a feeling that one will be the one to get.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The 4k q90t is superior to the 8k q900 tv this year.

My 3 biggest issues with the q90t are listed below

1. eARC does not work for multi channel PCM (at this time) it does on my LG CX

2. Local dimming actually works in game mode this year but at times the screen completely dims when moving from a daylight scene to indoor darker scene. It is jarring to see how it dims like that....(reading reports that putting local dimming on standard in HDR makes it better)

3. The fact that this is the high end 4k set from Samsung and it is a freaking 8 bit panel.

3 things I love

1. Blacks are amazing in this set and letterboxes are inky black when watching movies. (SDR movies are even more impressive with the black bars)

2. Best gaming tv period due to 10ms input lag and the games that are 30fps that have nasty judder on my CX OLED are super smooth on this set and that is without game motion plus activated)

3. HDR gaming and movies are superb with this tv and the bright objects stand out far better over my LG CX. A character holding a lamp or torch just looks amazing with bright highlights and color that the OLED cannot reach.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I dropped by Best Buy today and saw the new 2020 Samsung Q900TS and the Q90T for the first time and here are my observations:

I have a 75" Sony Z9D which still takes my breath away when I watch it. All I want is an 85" Z9D, but Sony never made one. Instead they made the 85" Z9G which just looks too weird to me with its Jay Leno double chin and Frankenstein forehead—not to mention it appears they are going backwards with their innovation and value proposition!?!! I just can't for the life of me understand how Sony could make a TV like the Z9D and instead of moving forward they have been moving backwards!?!! I am very disappointed with Sony's lack of progress...

On the flip side of the coin it is looking like Samsung just leapfrogged Sony for the first time since the Z9D.

I was surprised to see Samsung had the new 2020 TV models up at Best Buy, but the new 2020 Sony Models were NOT there yet.

The 85" Q900TS is an impressive beast, but there are some challenges I see with it. I HATE, HATE, HATE silver bezels as they elementally compete with the picture on the screen. In other words, if I was King of the World I would outlaw all bezels that are not black. I LOVE Black bezels as they make the image on the screen pop. As I have mentioned before, there is a reason when movie theater screens are surrounded with black and NOT silver.

The challenge is that the Q900TS has a very shiny, highly reflective albeit super skinny bezel (pictured below) which I find to be distracting and annoying. In my opinion, it would look so much better if it was black (I guess I could always use a Sharpie on it :)

Also, I find the bezel on the Q900TS to be kind of deceptive in the sense that if you look closely at the side view, the back of the panel behind the silver bezel slightly bulges out. In other words, Samsung did this on purpose to make the Q900TS look skinner than it really is, in the same way Apple did this with their MacBook Air. Keep in mind this TV is currently $9K.

The bezel on the the Q90T is a beautiful matte dark black (pictured below from the front and back). Its bezel is thicker than the Q900TS, but lacks the goofy bulge, and I really like the look of the fat skinny bezel which looks like a substantial picture frame. In my mind it looks more masculine and clean, whereas the Q900TS looks more dainty and feminine, like the TV is wearing earrings or jewelry...Distracting like a thumb ring or nose ring...

Regarding the picture quality, the Q900TS was NOT next to the Q90T so I had a really challenging time comparing them. Both had VERY colorful vibrant screens with amazing color volume and from what I could see had great blacks, and they were VERY Bright!!! As you can see with the image below Samsung still has demo footage with the exaggerated weird fluorescent (unnatural) green grass, and I don't know why they do this. Everybody is saying Samsung has caught up to Sony in color science, so I don't know why Samsung wouldn't show of that progress!?!!

I will say both sets were very impressive and to see an 85" inch with this type of amazing image makes my eyes smile...I am convinced that if you want a truly immersive visual experience that rivals any movie theater you need to go 85" or larger. 75" and below looks like a big TV, but 85" and bigger looks like a serious home theater. For the record, I have NEVER liked any type of projection screen as they look weak and washed out and lack precise geometry. OLED TV's are nice but they look so dark and dim to me when compared to an excellent LED with much higher peak brightness...

The Q90T is exactly half the price of the Q900TS, which is a huge difference. In my opinion the skinny silver bezel on the Q900TS is symbolism over substance. I plan to go to a different store to see them side by side, and when I do I will update this mini-review with my observations.

Also, I am really curious to see the upcoming 85" Vizio P Series Quantum P85QX-H1 which will retail for only $2999 while featuring 792 Zones and full HDMI 2.1 ports with 48Gbps, that can reach a 3,000-nit peak brightness. I have never considered owning a Vizio before, but it looks like it might rival Sony and Samsung for much less $$$$ which would be fascinating...

One thing is for sure and that is the fact that 2020 is the year of the 85" screen!!!! It's interesting to see 85" TVs finally entering into the mainstream and becoming relatively affordable...

Another thing I keep thinking about is that it appears 8K TVs may be overkill today as from what I understand a 4K image does not look any better on it, and there is almost no 8K video available today...Also, TV technology is moving so quickly it seems like investing $10K today might be a mistake as Micro LED is coming up right around the corner...
I will do a quick breakdown so things can be clearer to you, The Z9D was an innovative tv that was ahead of its time but it was very expensive to make. Sony had to drop the price to move units so it was a financial loss.
Looking at a tv in a showroom is the worse way to judge the quality so I will explain the differences. The Samsung 8k uses an aggressive local dimming to suppress blooming but there is a trade-off, shadow detail in dark scenes are crushed and the bright scenes in the dark scenes dims and are darker than they should be. On the Sony Z9G, you will see a bit more blooming in dark scenes and the trade-off is very good shadow details and the bright scenes next to the dark scenes look very bright.
Most enthusiasts will agree that Dolby Vision is the best version of HDR that we have on the market and that is not available on the 900ts and you won't get Dolby Atmos either. Upscaling and motion are also better on the Z9G, the q90t which is the cheaper of the two Samsung models goes for $9,000 and the Z9G goes for $8,000 so its a lot cheaper. Now you know the pros and cons you can decide which is right for you.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Go with the Q90T even though it might be a technically worse TV, but there's absolutely no reason to get a 8K TV right now and from what I've heard the Samsung 8K TVs this year are kinda disappointing whether it's due to weak details or blooming being more prevalent, etc.
If you're willing to give Vizio a chance, wait til either August or September when the 85 inch P-Series Quantum X becomes available for purchase.
It's kinda too bad OLED isn't for you, but I understand why, some people prioritize very high brightness (like so high it'll blind your eyes) and color volume over infinite contrast ratio, black levels, and viewing angles, but OLED colors mostly depends on brand (LG, Sony, etc.) and how well it is utilized.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I don’t agree with all of this guys thoughts on the Q900TS and he has the 65” and my understanding is it is somewhat of a different product (1000 lower nits for example). But I thought it was interesting to see how the 4K TV and the 8K TV produce a somewhat different picture from the same source. Unfortunately its the Sony OLED vs. the Q900TS, would be interesting to see the Q90T vs. the Q900TS. Not saying that 8K upscaling is better than 4K native. Just thought it was an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 85” 2020 Q900TS and I absolutely love it, though I am still learning it and haven’t really dialed it in yet. A few comments:

1. The bezel color is not a huge deal. With it being so thin (which I love), you really don’t notice the bezel.
2. There is some slight blooming on some occasions....but this is an LCD. I have a Sony OLED and I was aware that I was going to get some blooming compare to the OLED but I believe the any harsh blooming can be removed with calibration.
3. The economy of buying an 8K set - To me that is a personal choice. No there is not a lot of 8K source material but hopefully the benefits of added pixels and hope of future proofing will be a value add. Did I say the picture is spectacular.

With all this being said, I would not buy this set if I was getting a smaller screen size. The effects of 8K and the added processing power would only be worth it at a larger screen size.

Mike

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have the 85” 2020 Q900TS and I absolutely love it, though I am still learning it and haven’t really dialed it in yet. A few comments:

2. There is some slight blooming on some occasions....but this is an LCD. I have a Sony OLED and I was aware that I was going to get some blooming compare to the OLED but I believe the any harsh blooming can be removed with calibration.

Mike

How do you compare it with your oled in regards to hdr movies? Any issues with blooming in the black bars? Currently debating between this, the z9g, and 77" oled cx. Currently have a 65" Oled C6.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
the Z9G goes for $8,000
I just bought a Z9G for a lot less than that on greentoe.

Really wanted a Q950ts, but they just aren't available and are way over priced.

Yeah the Z9G is chunky, but it has a tip top image.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@JakeE
If you are from EU, you can buy the 82 Q800T for 4600 euro (420 dimming zones + 8k)
It is best of both worlds - high dimming zone count + affordable price for the size (8k is just a bonus)

·
Registered
748 Posts
This is going to scare you from buying an 8K LCD TV. 8K performs worse than 4k. Much wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cgmVElC018
Yeah, watch both of the YouTube posts on this page. Same guy. One video is him touting Samsung’s ability to soften the overly contrast film grain and then a post the same week where he complains that there is film grain missing in his specular highlights. It’s basically click bait for him to get views. Ridiculous.

Again, he has a 65” Q900TS which has more dense pixels per inch than the 85”. He also claims the 65” inch set is 1000 lower nits than the 75” and 85”. His conclusion is you should buy the LG 88” OLED that is $30k. Helpful. Thanks.

I watched the same scene and my image doesn’t look exactly like his (on the 85” Q900TS) and also doesn’t look like the OLED. I also watched on my 75” Sony Z9D and it also looks different and I believe that had 600+ zones and to my eyes that actually shows clipping vs. the Samsung image that may roll-off towards the upper bound. And then I’m sure the lower nits and ABL has no impact I on some other scenes in that movie on the Sony OLED.

My point is no set is truly perfect. I’m more than content with my Q900TS and Z9D but its up to you guys.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I didn't notice the Q90T only has an 8-bit panel. Does this negatively effect the quality of the image in any way? If so, how?

Does your set suffer from the rainbow effect caused by the anti-glare coating?

Have you noticed the dirty screen effect at all, and if so does it bother you?

When you say "eARC does not work for multi channel PCM (at this time) it does on my LG CX", I am not sure what you mean. Do you know if the the eARC works with Dolby Atmos? I ask as I just got a Sonos ARC, which I would like to hook up to it?

How is the sound from the built-in speakers?

Can you please share more insight about your experience with owning a Q90T, including which size your purchased?

The 4k q90t is superior to the 8k q900 tv this year.

My 3 biggest issues with the q90t are listed below

1. eARC does not work for multi channel PCM (at this time) it does on my LG CX

2. Local dimming actually works in game mode this year but at times the screen completely dims when moving from a daylight scene to indoor darker scene. It is jarring to see how it dims like that....(reading reports that putting local dimming on standard in HDR makes it better)

3. The fact that this is the high end 4k set from Samsung and it is a freaking 8 bit panel.

3 things I love

1. Blacks are amazing in this set and letterboxes are inky black when watching movies. (SDR movies are even more impressive with the black bars)

2. Best gaming tv period due to 10ms input lag and the games that are 30fps that have nasty judder on my CX OLED are super smooth on this set and that is without game motion plus activated)

3. HDR gaming and movies are superb with this tv and the bright objects stand out far better over my LG CX. A character holding a lamp or torch just looks amazing with bright highlights and color that the OLED cannot reach.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was in your boat, thought a long long long time about it. Just decided to skip samsung this year. I'm not a "scamsung" type of person, in fact I love samsung products. But this year they def are.

Q90T : flagship 4K with 8bit pannel downgraded so they can sell their 8K. On the paper worst spec than the Q90R. Tho from the reviews it seems it performs as good or even better, so kinda so so on that one.

Q800T and above : 8K, useless, 4K scalling not a 10, 1080p not a 10, god even the 8K is not a 10 if you trust rtings. And the price. God the price. You could expect a perfect TV. But no.

If you are wondering i've gone with a LG CX. I know it's not a perfect tv at all, but I won't support Samsung and their BS marketing this year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts