AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to RTV as of 3 days ago - and I've already spent >15 hours trying to get my model RTV2020 to connect for the first time.

I think I've narrowed it down to modem speed - my analog phone line does not support 56k. [EDIT - I have verified that my phone line does indeed support modem connections for RTV units - I have succesfully connected a friend's RTV3020 over my line].

but - I can't figure out how to change the modem speed. tech support, and the stickies say to press "zones" at the pre-fix screen -- but that does nothing. I do not get a modem options menu.

can anyone help??!! this is driving me nuts!! thanks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What version is the firmware?

411Zones

It's on the first line unless my memory has failed me.

If it's old firmware, it won't have the ability to change the modem speed and it also won't have the right built-in 800 number to do the initial connect.

If that's the case, you will have to pull the hard drive, put it in a PC running Windows and put the latest (last) firmware image on it.

See the FAQ for the procedure if you have to do this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Murphy.

if I can get it to a line that supports 56k, do you think I can use the 800-590-4857# to connect and update the firmware? this is the # RTV tech support says is the right one - they said to enter it in the pre-fix field, followed by pauses, to sidestep the old built in number. I've done this, but due to the modem speed it still won't connect.

I'll check my firmware version tonight.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you have the correct 800 number to enter into the prefix field it should work. You will need a friend that is very close to his/her central telephone office. I am 26000 feet (4.9 miles) from my central office and the best I can do on a good day is 28.8. Try to find someone that is within 1 mile of their central office. An unlikely alternative is if you know anyone that has an ISDN line, the POTS line that comes from their ISDN adapter will run at 56K (actually 53K - 56K is prohibited by the FCC). Don't forget to put a 1 in front of that 800 number. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy
If you have the correct 800 number to enter into the prefix field it should work. You will need a friend that is very close to his/her central telephone office. I am 26000 feet (4.9 miles) from my central office and the best I can do on a good day is 28.8. Try to find someone that is within 1 mile of their central office. An unlikely alternative is if you know anyone that has an ISDN line, the POTS line that comes from their ISDN adapter will run at 56K (actually 53K - 56K is prohibited by the FCC). Don't forget to put a 1 in front of that 800 number. Good luck.
That's wishfull thinking, since RTV-2k's only have 33.6k modems...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
411zones tell me this:

firmware version: 110120060 (built on 10/1/99)

ROM 511 release FPGA 3.2

Modem V2.200F9-V34_ACF_DS1 RCV336DPFSP Rev 44BC

last TX rate 300 bps

highest tx rate 300bps

if it's true that the 2k series has 33.6k modems, then I must have a different problem.

·
Registered
477 Posts
That is ancient firmware. It doesn't have the modem control panel, it doesn't have the right 800 phone number, and it may not have the correct user ID and password to log in to the ReplayTV server. I think your best bet is to put the hard drive in a PC and install the latest firmware.

http://rgb.cc/replaytv/images/replay/20xx/

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky jumper
411zones tell me this:

firmware version: (built on 10/1/99)

ROM 511 release FPGA 3.2

Modem V2.200F9-V34_ACF_DS1 RCV336DPFSP Rev 44BC

last TX rate 300 bps

highest tx rate 300bps

if it's true that the 2k series has 33.6k modems, then I must have a different problem.
110120060 is the problem. It appears to me you do not have a 2020 but rather an earlier model such as a 2003 or 2004 model. This recorder will work fine once the eprom chip programming and the hard drive software are updated to current. Had this recorder netconnected during 1999 and 2000, it would have automatically updated. Your only choice now is to replace the eprom chip (easy to do) and upgrade the hard drive data to current. I can help you with both for a $65 fee. Please email me if interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks guys. the wrong ID/password makes sense because I have received the "unable to authorize connection" error message a few times - perhaps it did connect but couldn't authenticate. I'll try Murphy's link first - if it's too complicated for me to do, I may just take you up on your offer Mikeyboy. thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
two more things I could use some guidance on:

1) I got a 40gb "RTV ready" hard drive for christmas to upgrade the 20gb that is in the unit (that I still have not been able to connect). the new drive was purchased on eBay and is supposed to have "the current RTV" software on it already - but I"m not sure which release. instructions from seller say to install it and go. Should I be concerned with SW version (e.g. will the 2020 support the current SW - whatever that might be?). should I check the version first before installing into the RTV unit?

2) I also have access to a Panasonic Showstopper 20gb hard drive that has been connected recently - can I just put that into my RTV2020 and run it if the 40gb doesn't work?? do the showstopper 2k and RTV2020 units run the same SW?

EDIT: I think I found an answer to this one -- NO, I can't use the showstopper drive in my RTV202. if I'm wrong on this please tell me.

thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
1) I got a 40gb "RTV ready" hard drive for christmas to upgrade the 20gb that is in the unit (that I still have not been able to connect). the new drive was purchased on eBay and is supposed to have "the current RTV" software on it already - but I"m not sure which release. instructions from seller say to install it and go. Should I be concerned with SW version (e.g. will the 2020 support the current SW - whatever that might be?). should I check the version first before installing into the RTV unit?

As best I know all 2020's will boot from current software, give it a shot. If the unit fails to boot, I suspect you have an earlier Replaytv model such as the 2003 or 2004. If that is the case you'll need to replace the eprom chip with one with current programming.

2) I also have access to a Panasonic Showstopper 20gb hard drive that has been connected recently - can I just put that into my RTV2020 and run it if the 40gb doesn't work?? do the showstopper 2k and RTV2020 units run the same SW?

EDIT: I think I found an answer to this one -- NO, I can't use the showstopper drive in my RTV202. if I'm wrong on this please tell me.

It will not boot with Showstopper software and could possibly corrupt the 2020 eprom programming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks again Mikeyboy. I'll put the new 40gb drive in tomorrow and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll try to get the guy I bought the 2020 from to cover your $65 fee, or at least part of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.