AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 693 Posts

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
MrTick,

You always have an excellent take.

I am not sure of the percentage, but NBC will do a side by side with some of the commercials. I mute the TV, so I am not distracted by said commercial. It isn't ideal, but NBC has to pay the bills I guess.

I am not sure who started it, but showing vignettes like the retro apparently appeals to some. Fox tries to do theirs during a caution.

Do you get our commentators of Diffey, Bell and Tracy?

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
MrTick,

You always have an excellent take.

I am not sure of the percentage, but NBC will do a side by side with some of the commercials. I mute the TV, so I am not distracted by said commercial. It isn't ideal, but NBC has to pay the bills I guess.
Thanks for your kind words. If you can see the action at all during the adverts then that's better than nothing. Obviously I can't see that stuff, as I get the UK feed which is full screen as normal showing the action during the USA ad breaks.

UK broadcasters never do that kind of thing with split-screening ads - the advertisers have paid for their full-screen slot and they damn well always get it :mad:. Even the station logos in the corner of the screen, which are like vandalism and graffiti covering over parts of the screen (esp in dramas), are faded away during advert breaks here! (That's a real kick in the teeth to the viewer who wants their content treated with respect - the adverts don't get the graffiti but the content I'm paying for with my subscription, does!). They are not designed to be particularly discrete/subtle like most USA station logos I've seen.

I am not sure who started it, but showing vignettes like the retro apparently appeals to some. Fox tries to do theirs during a caution.
During a caution would be better, if at all, but I still say there's all the hours when the race isn't on for that kind of thing :). It's almost apologising - "sorry this is a boring race, but look at some great action we used to have!".

Do you get our commentators of Diffey, Bell and Tracy?
Yes. I used to think that Tracey looked massively uncomfortable on camera, like a rabbit in the headlights, but I'm warming to him a bit more now. They mentioned Sky UK viewers in their race commentary a few times last year actually, particularly at the start of the contact. They go quiet during the ad breaks, no special messages for us UKers which is a pity. There was one break last year when Diffey (I think) said the "welcome back to.... brought to you by....." about 30 seconds too early, and he had to say it all over again :D. But he kept cool and there was no laughter or exclamations at the end of the botched one :)

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Thanks for your kind words. If you can see the action at all during the adverts then that's better than nothing. Obviously I can't see that stuff, as I get the UK feed which is full screen as normal showing the action during the USA ad breaks.

UK broadcasters never do that kind of thing with split-screening ads - the advertisers have paid for their full-screen slot and they damn well always get it :mad:. Even the station logos in the corner of the screen, which are like vandalism and graffiti covering over parts of the screen (esp in dramas), are faded away during advert breaks here! (That's a real kick in the teeth to the viewer who wants their content treated with respect - the adverts don't get the graffiti but the content I'm paying for with my subscription, does!). They are not designed to be particularly discrete/subtle like most USA station logos I've seen.
During a caution would be better, if at all, but I still say there's all the hours when the race isn't on for that kind of thing :). It's almost apologising - "sorry this is a boring race, but look at some great action we used to have!".

Yes. I used to think that Tracey looked massively uncomfortable on camera, like a rabbit in the headlights, but I'm warming to him a bit more now. They mentioned Sky UK viewers in their race commentary a few times last year actually, particularly at the start of the contact. They go quiet during the ad breaks, no special messages for us UKers which is a pity. There was one break last year when Diffey (I think) said the "welcome back to.... brought to you by....." about 30 seconds too early, and he had to say it all over again :D. But he kept cool and there was no laughter or exclamations at the end of the botched one :)

Indy/CART races have always been broadcast to be palatable to non hard core race fans. What they are doing there is trying to lure the casual viewer into the sport. The USA has never had the big racing audiences that GB has enjoyed. It's just something we put up with. It's better than no racing broadcast at all.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts

You should have seen what I wrote originally. I had to erase it before some said "Get a room":)

Seriously though, you always have a well thought out and reasoned response on racing.

To me, Tracy is the biggest weak link. I have warmed up to Diffey and consider him an improvement on previous play by play announcers. Bell I could take or leave.

IMO Indy announcers have always been the weak link. Nascar seems to get it mostly right. On Fox, Mike Joy and Jeff Gordon aren't bad. Larry McReynolds does a good job of taking it serious while having fun. Not to mention he gives good technical insight. NBC's color duo of Burton and Earnhardt are good as well.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
NASCAR also shines with a deep bench for truck and xfinity races on FOX/FS1: Clint Bowyer, Joey Logano, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Ryan Blaney, etc. It’s extremely accessible, even more than in the the past. Especially when you take the top notch podcasts (DBC, Sunday Money, Glass Case of Emotion, etc.) into account that are done by drivers, spotters, owners, reporters and more.

I’ve lived in Indy my entire life and outside of May, there is very little evidence that virtually all of Indycar is based here.

My 2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 Calibrated Settings

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Apologies if it's been mentioned before, but on today's Ted's Notebook he was recommending a movie called "Uppity: The Willy T. Ribbs Story (2020)". It's on UK Netflix, not sure if it's on USA Netflix.

Apparently Bernie gave him an F1 test drive in the 1980s.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5862338/
https://www.netflix.com/search?q=uppity

Ted also commented on how the Indy coverage was done at the weekend, and just like me mentioned we never saw all the 3 guys in a single wide shot :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Anyone find the audio balance during the Indy race to be poor?

They seem to have the ambient track audio jacked to the point where it was tough to hear the commentary. I noticed it last year too. I normally run my center 3db hot due my 59 year old ears, but I had to also knock the Front L/R and surrounds down by 5db to get a decent balance.

I noticed a few comments to Leigh Diffey on his Twitter feed, so I am not the only one.
Since the Canadian broadcasters very often use the US coverage of sporting events I can tell you the sound from the US stations is always hopped-up versus the very same thing on whatever channel is broadcasting it up here. In this case, I ended-up watching it on one of the NBC feeds because of the preferable car noise as the video (which has often been noticeably worse on the US stations) was fine, I didn't have any problem hearing the commentary.

I thought the end of the race looked amateurish. Kimball losing it and Hinch taking out Felix. Not sure why Hinch has a ride except to pander to the Canadians.
First off, don't at all agree with your oft repeated assertion that Hinchcliffe is no longer a useful driver (or, perhaps never was, despite his 6 wins), and calling Rosenqvist's overly optimistic brain-fart "Hinch taking out Felix" is precious nonsense. However, seeing as I watched the NBC feed the first ad I saw was 30 seconds of Hinchcliffe, which was repeated several times. It's not like Newgarden is an ugly guy, or anything, but I don't recall seeing one product ad featuring him or any of the other drivers. In a similar vein, I read in the comments of one of the Racer articles you linked too about him loosing his ride a comment from a woman who said she had never heard of IndyCar before seeing Hinchcliffe on Dancing with the Stars but since then her whole family went to multiple races a year, but if Hinchcliffe wasn't there they weren't going back. Don't know how widespread her story might be but he seems to be attracting exactly the audience IndyCar seems to think it needs to survive and thrive, and I'm not sure who else among the drivers might be able to, even if there is anyone willing to put the effort out.

To me, Tracy is the biggest weak link. I have warmed up to Diffey and consider him an improvement on previous play by play announcers. Bell I could take or leave.

IMO Indy announcers have always been the weak link. Nascar seems to get it mostly right. On Fox, Mike Joy and Jeff Gordon aren't bad. Larry McReynolds does a good job of taking it serious while having fun. Not to mention he gives good technical insight. NBC's color duo of Burton and Earnhardt are good as well.
Can't remember everyone else involved but thought the ABC coverage with Scott Goodyear got to be pretty good. Better back in the day before the series split, though.
When we first started having F1 races broadcast here on a regular basis it was Murry Walker and James Hunt, don't think it's just nostalgia that I don't expect it to get any better than that. Nothing even close, so far, for any form of racing.
Morgan

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
If you have Netflix checkout Shelby American. It's a documentary (directed by Adam Carolla) on Shelby the man and goes in great depth on Ford vs Ferrari with the voices of the real guys not actors as with the movie. Great old footage as well. To me I liked the documentary better than the movie but both were good.
https://www.netflix.com/title/81218074
New this week to Netflix: "A life of speed, the Juan Manuel Fangio story"
https://www.netflix.com/title/80227556
I've now watched both of these - many thanks for your recommendations @cyberguyjeff! :)

Ted Kravitz recommended "Uppity: the Willy T. Ribbs Story" last week - I wonder if anyone here has seen it.

·
Registered
9,218 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sounds like if he survives he will be badly disfigured, possibly have difficulty breathing and eating, and is likely to have significant cognitive and/or motor deficits. Blindness in one or both eyes sounds likely too given the forehead fracture and the proximity of the blow to the eyes. Survival doesn't sound all that great an outcome to me, if I were in his shoes.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Anybody got a current up to date tv schedule for ESPN channels on the upcoming race? I can't find a current one anywhere. Here in my area i usually get all practices, quali, and the race on one of the four ESPN channels of which i have all of them on my cable.

So far, all I can get is on my guide on the tv that says Sat the 4th at 8:55am EST is qualifying on ESPN, but i cant find any practices and my guide stops a day short of race day.

All info i find on the net is obsolete or incomplete.

521 - 540 of 693 Posts