AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 692 Posts

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
But to be honest, how many folks watch all that? I only care about the start and finish, most of the sports car racing is boring as all get-out since they're spread all over the place.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
But to be honest, how many folks watch all that? I only care about the start and finish, most of the sports car racing is boring as all get-out since they're spread all over the place.
I also watch the start and finish, thats enough of this for me. I dont know so many of the drivers and teams, its not like F1 where I know everybody and every team and car.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
122 Posts

I've been going to Daytona since 1979 and I still find it exciting. To have 4 classes all running at the same time, the strategy continuously changes as do the cars, track conditions, weather, etc. The smells of burnt oil, tires & fuel in the air. There's nothing like going into the garage area at 2AM to see an entire team boned-up on a transmission change or other major repairs. Or the glow of the brake rotors at the entrance of the horseshoe. This year's weather was the best we've had in several years. Of course watching it on TV with the know-it-alls droning on and on does get boring.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Of course watching it on TV with the know-it-alls droning on and on does get boring.
I wouldn't be so quick to criticise lol! You try filling 24 hours of airtime with a commentary! It can't be easy! ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
PSA - Ford vs. Ferrari Tour: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/ford-v-ferrari-perfect-lap-tour-coming-to-us-cities/

Full disclosure, I have not yet seen the film, but if I were near one of the tour stops, I would partake.

If you have Netflix checkout Shelby American. It's a documentary (directed by Adam Carolla) on Shelby the man and goes in great depth on Ford vs Ferrari with the voices of the real guys not actors as with the movie. Great old footage as well. To me I liked the documentary better than the movie but both were good.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81218074

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Speaking of Caroll....I didn’t notice that the C8 Corvette display at Barrett Jackson was behind a Shelby display.

Caroll seems to be casting a wary eye on the new entry from Bowling Green.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
If you have Netflix checkout Shelby American. It's a documentary (directed by Adam Carolla) on Shelby the man and goes in great depth on Ford vs Ferrari with the voices of the real guys not actors as with the movie. Great old footage as well. To me I liked the documentary better than the movie but both were good.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81218074
Yeah that's a good one.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Barrett Jackson auctions, which I love to watch, announced that a lot of their coverage will now be on the FYI channel. At first I was really upset, as I didnt think I had that station on my cable, but after going thru my channels I find that yes, I DO have FYI . Yay!!!!!!!

Reactions: jomartz

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Nice what you can do with enough money...

"Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll has agreed to buy up to 20% of Aston Martin and rename his Racing Point Formula One team after the 107-year-old company.
The agreement, which was made on Friday, will see Racing Point become the Aston Martin F1 Works team from the 2021 season."

If this can help the team become competitive, they are going to want a better driver. Dilemma for Stroll at that point.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/28605170/racing-point-become-aston-martin-2021

·
Registered
495 Posts

"Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll has agreed to buy up to 20% of Aston Martin and rename his Racing Point Formula One team after the 107-year-old company.
The agreement, which was made on Friday, will see Racing Point become the Aston Martin F1 Works team from the 2021 season."

If this can help the team become competitive, they are going to want a better driver. Dilemma for Stroll at that point.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/28605170/racing-point-become-aston-martin-2021
Won't the name change lose them a bunch of F1 subsidy cash? I recall that stupid rule being the reason they kept the Racing Point name in the first place.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Won't the name change lose them a bunch of F1 subsidy cash? I recall that stupid rule being the reason they kept the Racing Point name in the first place.
I think that was because of the events during the 2018 season. It's all very complicated but they will be following the normal "same team, different name" name-change that many teams do (and Sauber is doing this year). This wasn't the case with Force India => Racing Point IIRC.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Looking more and more like the China race will be canceled, unless the virus outbreak situation improves. I think several countries have pretty much put a travel ban on the country.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51294416

They could do something sensible, like replace the race with one in a relatively warm Euro country that would make it easy for F1 teams to travel... ie The Algarve. But its F1 so they won't do that.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts

·
Registered
12,514 Posts

Daddy Stroll has been investing heavily into RP since he purchased it, including building a new factory. He isn't going to go crazy like the manufacturers/RB, but they could lead the mid-field pack.

And yes, kiddy Stroll will have to up his game to keep his ride. In his defense, he has improved and could possibly mapbe eventually be in the ten to twelve range of best drivers on the grid.;)

I think that was because of the events during the 2018 season. It's all very complicated but they will be following the normal "same team, different name" name-change that many teams do (and Sauber is doing this year). This wasn't the case with Force India => Racing Point IIRC.
I am not sure how that is going to be written into the new rules. The way the FI to RP situation went down became an issue because Stroll didn't buy them out rite. He waited to get the best deal. It was a problem, because Haas didn't get the same treatment for being a new team. Of course, there were others like Williams that wanted some of the money that FI eventually received.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Looking more and more like the China race will be canceled, unless the virus outbreak situation improves. I think several countries have pretty much put a travel ban on the country.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51294416

They could do something sensible, like replace the race with one in a relatively warm Euro country that would make it easy for F1 teams to travel... ie The Algarve. But its F1 so they won't do that.
I think the teams would prefer to reduce the schedule by one race.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Screaming "GP2 Engine! GP2 Engine!" over the radio was in hindsight probably not the smart play. Then again, they did allow him to run a Honda in his 1st attempt at Indy, and it almost paid off until....the engine done blowed up. It will be a shame if Fred can't land a competitive ride.
Kind of getting over the whole Alonso thing. I think Honda is more upset that he is racing a Toyota now than the McLaren past although I am sure that doesn't help. I think it has been said that Kyle Busch has to use a Chevy if he wants to try Indy.

Alonso doesn't have Penske or ECR as an option, but he could go to McLaren or Foyt.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Kind of getting over the whole Alonso thing. I think Honda is more upset that he is racing a Toyota now than the McLaren past although I am sure that doesn't help. I think it has been said that Kyle Busch has to use a Chevy if he wants to try Indy.

Alonso doesn't have Penske or ECR as an option, but he could go to McLaren or Foyt.
Fred with McLaren is interesting....the team shafted Honda when they booted Hinch and went to Chevy power. The question is, how much hate does McLaren have for Fred? Not as much as Honda has, but I don't think they exchange Christmas cards.

Was there talk of Shrub running Indy? I had not heard that, but I think that would be cool....in my view he is the best wheelman in NASCAR at present.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I don't think the current regime hates Alonso. Most of the old regime that was with Alonso are gone. If Brown didn't like Alonso, then my guess is he wouldn't have kept him around as "ambassador" last year.

As for Busch, I thought you read Racer. It has been mentioned, but very unlikely for this year. And he is probably the best in Nascar and right there with Ham for the top driver in the world.

Unfortunately the rumor is his wife won't let him, but I would love to see JJ give the 500 a try next year after he retires from Nascar.

41 - 60 of 692 Posts