AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 690 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I think the teams would prefer to reduce the schedule by one race.
Maybe, but that would leave a rather awkward gap in the schedule with Vietnam being the only race between March 22nd, and May 3rd. Rumors are now that F1 will switch Russia with China.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Paul Tracy, prepping for the 2020 Indycar season. He should be careful.....something looks about ready to blow.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Maybe, but that would leave a rather awkward gap in the schedule with Vietnam being the only race between March 22nd, and May 3rd. Rumors are now that F1 will switch Russia with China.
Yes, I think it's far more likely they will swap dates, than drop a race. It's happened quite a lot in the past.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Won't the name change lose them a bunch of F1 subsidy cash? I recall that stupid rule being the reason they kept the Racing Point name in the first place.
No because they are keeping the "Racing Point" part of the name, which is one of the reasons they named it with it in the first place, they new it was just an interim name. They are changing sponsors' Sports Pesa" with "Aston Martin" and the "point" part of the name is the punctuation mark, so the final name will be "Aston Martin Racing." Needless to say that Lawrence Stroll and his marketing team are this side of geniuses!

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Nice to see new liveries starting to come out. Do you guys like the matte finish? I hate it. I understand it keeps the car lighter, but to me it takes away from the great spectacle of seeing bright shiny cars driving around the track.

Reactions: Tack

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nice to see new liveries starting to come out. Do you guys like the matte finish? I hate it. I understand it keeps the car lighter, but to me it takes away from the great spectacle of seeing bright shiny cars driving around the track.
Is that why Ferrari went to flat red last year, it's lighter? The mass of the gloss in paint must surely be insignificant on an F1 car.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Is that why Ferrari went to flat red last year, it's lighter? The mass of the gloss in paint must surely be insignificant on an F1 car.

Yes, that's why. I don't recall the weight difference but it was enough for them to make the change.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Haas become first team to unveil their 2020 car:

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/708743/First_shots_of_the_newlook_Haas_VF20_emerge/

Back to their old livery, or close to it, I like it.
2016 - 2019, one 4th and three 5ths (three of those results in 2018), maybe it's time to disappear.

"Guenther Steiner on Haas' financial problems ahead of 2020"

Haas will hope to have made the necessary changes that will enable them to climb up the grid and get back into the midfield battle.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/53914/guenther-steiner-on-haas-financial-problems-ahead-of-2020.html

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I just discovered this thread, happy to see some F1 talk here! I used to follow another forum but have been out of the game for a year or so. Hope you guys will be able to help me get back up to speed for 2020.

Nice what you can do with enough money...

"Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll has agreed to buy up to 20% of Aston Martin and rename his Racing Point Formula One team after the 107-year-old company.
The agreement, which was made on Friday, will see Racing Point become the Aston Martin F1 Works team from the 2021 season."

If this can help the team become competitive, they are going to want a better driver. Dilemma for Stroll at that point.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/28605170/racing-point-become-aston-martin-2021
I think now we'll see if Lawrence just got involved in F1 to put his son in a seat, or if he actually wants to get serious and try for a win. As I said I didn't watch this past season, but I distinctly remember being embarrassed that Lance is now the de facto Canadian F1 ambassador. He was handed a chance, and he wasn't able to make much of it. Time to move on.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
It is 200-300 grams at least. They prefer to be mat and have it in the ballast.
I thought that when Red Bull said that (they did it first), it was a joke. Christian Horner has definitely said on Sky that claiming it saved weight was a joke to see if anyone would copy them.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
There has been a ton of teams that did much worse for much longer.
Not picking on Haas. Bad is bad. I suggest booting them if they can't make one podium a year, and that's more than reasonable.

No need for half the starting grid essentially being "Herman Beams".

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Not picking on Haas. Bad is bad. I suggest booting them if they can't make one podium a year, and that's more than reasonable.

If you did that there'd be no McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams... no teams at all. It takes years and years to get your first podium, and some top teams can't even get podia (see McLaren). In short, sorry but I think it's a really terrible, thoroughly unreasonable, idea :)

·
Registered
11,749 Posts

Sainz, Gasley, and Kvyat were (I think) the only non RB - Ferrari - Merc podiums all year. And that was one each. And that was better than most years, lately. Like Mr Tickle says, there'd be no one left.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
If you did that there'd be no McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams... no teams at all. It takes years and years to get your first podium, and some top teams can't even get podia (see McLaren). In short, sorry but I think it's a really terrible, thoroughly unreasonable, idea :)
Sainz, Gasley, and Kvyat were (I think) the only non RB - Ferrari - Merc podiums all year. And that was one each. And that was better than most years, lately. Like Mr Tickle says, there'd be no one left.
Growing boredom of Formula 1 can't afford to wait years and years more for what might be. Now needs solutions. 10 or 12 cars on a F1 track is plenty, if that's what it takes. Let other drivers/teams develop elsewhere, but don't clutter the track competing only midfield. I agree with Steiner on one point. They have to be more critical of themselves. For far too long, it's been a traveling circus with about half of it being not much more than hot-walkers. Improve the product.

61 - 80 of 690 Posts