AVS Forum banner

3061 - 3080 of 6030 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Received a phone call from Hisense yesterday and they stated they do not have any 65" H9G's in stock and that I will be receiving a refund check in the mail in about 2-4 weeks. I am so happy to be finally done with this ordeal! I will be using my old Samsung TV in the meantime and wait to see if any deals come out on Black Friday to pick up a different brand TV.
I wish the rest of you good luck on getting your TV's fixed or refunded! Take care, all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Received a phone call from Hisense yesterday and they stated they do not have any 65" H9G's in stock and that I will be receiving a refund check in the mail in about 2-4 weeks. I am so happy to be finally done with this ordeal! I will be using my old Samsung TV in the meantime and wait to see if any deals come out on Black Friday to pick up a different brand TV.
I wish the rest of you good luck on getting your TV's fixed or refunded! Take care, all!
That's great! It gives me hope I'll probably get a refund too. The technician called me yesterday and told me he is coming next Monday to do a direct panel destroy. How long did it take for Hisense to call you after the panel destroy? It's so hard to get any answers from tech support. I already bought a Sony A8H that went on sale two days ago from BB. I haven't picked it up yet but it would really suck if they decide to send a replacement lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, when you owners complain about the "red ghosting issue" on the Hisense H9G do you guys mean those red blobs all over the top half of the image as shown on these two pictures ?

That looks like a quick home video you made to exemplify your problem and not an image capture of game playing, correct ?

Do all inputs on your set exhibit the same red blobs ?

If so, i for one do not understand how an LCD set can have those red blobs. How is that even possible ?
I have never seen anything like that. It is unacceptable, pure and simple...
Sorry I should have mentioned it, those blobs are from in game display due to the character having low health.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As much as those videos show a difference in how bad the red HDR blur/ghosting issue is, and any differences in black levels, the only way to truly test if the firmware update made things worse would be to use one TV and shoot a video testing the red blur and black levels before the firmware update and after.

Comparing 2 different H9Gs with two different firmwares doesn't indicate if the firmware made a difference or if one panel was simply better than the other.
I had quite a difference between the 3 H9Gs I owned in terms of how light or heavy the red-blur issue was.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's great! It gives me hope I'll probably get a refund too. The technician called me yesterday and told me he is coming next Monday to do a direct panel destroy. How long did it take for Hisense to call you after the panel destroy? It's so hard to get any answers from tech support. I already bought a Sony A8H that went on sale two days ago from BB. I haven't picked it up yet but it would really suck if they decide to send a replacement lol.
The tech came out on Oct 8th so about a week. I called the very next day because the tech said she would send in the paperwork when she got back to the office, but Hisense did not have the tech's paperwork. So it might be dependent on how quickly your tech sends it to Hisense.

·
Registered
748 Posts
About to upload what everyone's been waiting for. Keep in mind my new set actually had k304. Both sets set to "standard" picture enhanced format hdmi and high local dimming. K304 on the left k725 on the right.

Both set to dolby vision dark default settings.
Urbigbrother, one thing I noticed about both of the software versions you posted below is how poor the local dimming algorithm handles this starfield. The one on the right is worse, but even the one on the left has blooming right from the start. This surprises me because I always viewed my H9G as having the best black levels for an LED, and maybe it does but not with motion I guess. It goes to show you it doesn't matter how many dimming zones you have, the local dimming algorithm has to be on point to handle something like this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welp, I just wanted to confirm what most of us already know but, the red ghosting issue is NOT restricted to streaming apps. I just tried to watch Jumanji Into the Jungle 4k HDR Blu-ray and not even 30 minutes in I had multiple instances of the red ghosting. It was so egregious I had to take a video/pic of it (attached). I need to exchange this set ASAP. So very unfortunate and upsetting.

·
Registered
853 Posts
And I have watched that movie at least 4 or 5 times on my H9G in DV and have never seen what your pictures show.
It seems that after 3000 posts one thing is for sure....either you have a good panel or a bad panel. If you have a bad panel, just get rid of it and dont ever expect Hisense to fix it. If they could fix it via firmware they would have done so by now. We now know that the hardware fix does not work....sfsilicon is probably the most fed-up man around at this time.

The H9F was plagued by DSE....they seem to have eliminated that. No small feat...TCL needs corporate spies to infiltrate Hisense and find out how they did it.
Next year at this time the discussion might be "After the red ghost debacle on the H9G, I almost wasn't going to buy this H9H"
The only hope for the H9G at this point is that quality control was stepped up at the factory, and the rest of the production run is unaffected....with existing stock, it's pretty much a crap-shoot to get a good one.
My suspicion on the cause of the red blur is minute (or microscopic, if Merubin is listening) differences in panel speed...on older sets you had "Convergence" which is the alignment of the colors...this is not really possible on a Qled panel...this is why a lot of the service calls destroy the panel...it can't be fixed.
I'm just damn glad mine is so good...it was as advertised. Which is good...I'm probably the poorest man on this thread.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Now that wasn't nice...I just said the same thing.
Those of us with good panels aren't trying to make those with bad panels feel bad or make light of their plight...we are here because we are techies looking for info and feedback. Unfortunately, most of the feedback has been about the ghosting.
The only thing I would add is that at this point, showing or describing more examples of the issue is useless.

We know that some panels have red ghosting.
We knew a long time ago that Oscarbrillo first had the issue with streaming and bluray..and so have others that followed.
We know that many like you have ditched the set and went elsewhere...I would have done the same.
We know that many who are posting recently are going to do the same....that's ok...we live in a consumer society, and if you are not happy with your purchase...return it.
Best of luck with your new direction.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you have a link to an overview of the Samsung green ghost issue?

Right now I don't know if this is HW, FW or both. I'm just mad at myself for not returning the TV when I had a chance. The whole experience would not be so bad if Hisense USA was not so difficult to deal with. I can hear their smug voices still saying we know what we are doing. Don't listen to what you read on forums.

For the record if it were not for HisenseCA's communication and honest approach of trying to help the community I would have given up months ago. I would have also been done with Hisense as a brand. For now I'm going to try to get my money back and then sit on the sidelines and hope they can fix this or wait for the H9H.
That sucks. You may want to take it up with your credit card company on quality of goods and the manufacture is unable/unwilling to fix it.

I've gotten a few charges reversed in those cases with some pics and documentation, though nothing as costly as a TV. You have ample documentation, so it'd be with a shot - especially if your card has purchase assurance and you're still in that window.

Good luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,074
Repair done this morning. Didn't fix the ghosting. Disappointed that Hisense USA did not provide any instructions for this scenario. Since it is a motion issue the tech could not take a full screen picture which is the normal requirement for panel destruction. He was advised by his contact for Hisense repairs (outsourced) to call Hisense support. Tier 1 did not have any instructions beyond take a picture and update the case notes. We could not speak to Tier 2, which required a call back and tech could not wait around for that to happen. So after Tier 1 took ownership for the follow-up the tech closed up the TV and left.

BTW, tech was very professional and knowledgable small business owner. Don't know how he will be making money in all this. Normal repair is a quick 30m swap parts, fix or no fix, done. He might have to come out again to do "more repairs" or destroy the panel.

I've wasted time unmounting the TV, bring it down to the garage, preparing material to check the problem, time spent on the repair and now have to do the reverse and potentially more pain again. That's on top of the time I spent following up with Tier 2 to make sure I had the right parts. Well at least I have pictures of the whole thing. They ended up swapping the mainboard, TCON board and LVDS cables. TCON has a serial number, so they could check if it is the right part or not. Might update later, just exhausting and I have to get back to work.
Finishing up the documentation of the results from my "repair". Took a video of Alita dark alley fight scene (~28m into the movie). Recorded using [email protected] on my Samsung Note 10. Analyzed video frame by frame to take below screenshots (full screen shots as Hisense support will ask). I picked this scene because I could see during normal viewing on the H9G the red ghosting effect. I included with the screens below the length of the effect so folks can see this is not something subtle but very visible if you are sensitised to it. This is clear proof the red ghosting is there after TCON, Mainboard and LVDS cable swaps.

Youtube -

alita 01 10-15-2020 15 frames 0.25 s (lady cyborg's eyebrows)

alita 02 10-15-2020 37 frames 0.627 s (Ito's facial features)

alita 03 + 04 10-15-2020 69 frames 1.15 s (Alita's full face and arms as she punches)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yeah...that's pretty bad. I could see it very clearly in the video.
I assume that's the DV version since it looks way way brighter than when I watched it in HDR10.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,077
Post 4 list updated.

Known Impacted Hisense H9G batches: Total Sets 19
Note: This information is gathered to help identify batches where "Red Ghosting" issue has occurred. It DOES NOT mean all TVs from a listed batch have an issue. Assumption is a HW issue due to the recommended fix of TCON board swap. Hisense has not yet released how many sets or are impacted or how to identify them beyond general comments of a small number compared to total sold.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,079 (Edited)
Some impressions from the repair. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The 2 piece back cover is removed to gain access to the TCON and Main boards. The panel itself does not need to be touched. The boards are connected via cables and screwed to the back of the panel assembly. Not much a repair person can do wrong but to maybe bend the ribbon cables while replacing and putting them back. Tech was very careful to not let me touch or help replace any of the components, otherwise it would impact warranty. He is the only authorized person to touch the TV.

I'm assuming any competitor can buy a H9G and open it up, so hopefully these pictures are not controversial. If they are PM me and I can take them down.

Overview (mainboard is above the tech's hands and TCON board is below his left arm)

Old TCON (Serial number blurred + to be replaced LVDS cables are two on top)

Replacement TCON (Serial number blurred)

Old Mainboard

Replacement Mainboard

·
Registered
277 Posts
If I bought no warranty is the red ghosting "fix" covered by the normal Hisense warranty? Do I have to register my set for this? Did you guys call this number for the US support? 1.888.935.8880 or did you fill out the parts and service form here: Contact?

And then what is the process after that? They "fix" it or replace it and then when that inevitably doesn't work they do a panel destroy?

3061 - 3080 of 6030 Posts