AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 5024 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am going to call costco tomorrow and ask them if I can go through literally every single one of they're tvs one by one to see if they have the red motion issue or not. If they agree and tell me it wouldn't result in my membership being flagged or outright banned, I may be the reason costco canada stops carrying this brand if they sent out this many defective tvs. This isn't a threat but I'm curious if they're right about this only affecting some tvs.
Are you able to get a refund?
I'm not familiar with Costco, but do they have other high-end brands you could exchange for?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes costco would give me a full refund on each tv, they do have other brands but unfortunately besides this issue anything in a similar price point gets beaten pretty severely by the Q9G/H9G.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It seems like HDR and DV aren't the cause but rather just exacerbate the issue these sets have with motion. At this point if my 5th set has this issue I have to assume that a majority of these sets have it and something got royally screwed up somewhere up the line(at least for the Canadian batch). The fact that all 4 of my H9Gs have had dead pixels has to be more than bad luck and more so a QA issue. Ashley you are absolutely outstanding but I almost wish you were working for another tv company that didn't have so many problems. I wish I could just move to another brand but at the end of the day this TV just does everything it does right just too darn well.

Interesting...If I had Netflix this the first thing I would have tried ages ago. Good job....and,
This proves three things....1. There is nothing wrong with the panels...I was wrong.
2. This can be fixed by firmware....if Hisense really tried.
3. It's not the Tcon board.

There is something wrong with the HDR decoding on the software side. Its possible (especially with DV) that the decoder is looking for certain factors before it decides how to translate. As we know from the info pane reported by others, sometimes it shows ideal conditions, sometimes not.
Ideal would be 10 bit, rec2020 at least. From what I've seen reported here that is not always the case.
Did you happen or can you check your info from one comparison to the other?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have one thing to say to the people that continue to buy this TV and bring it back 4 or 5 times. Get a life and buy a different brand. You are not being paid by Hisense to be their Quality Control. For the price this TV is a great second set for your home. If you do have one don't watch the Crown.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Interesting...If I had Netflix this the first thing I would have tried ages ago. Good job....and,
This proves three things....1. There is nothing wrong with the panels...I was wrong.

There is something wrong with the HDR decoding on the software side. Its possible (especially with DV) that the decoder is looking for certain factors before it decides how to translate. As we know from the info pane reported by others, sometimes it shows ideal conditions, sometimes not.
Ideal would be 10 bit, rec2020 at least. From what I've seen reported here that is not always the case.
One major issue with a firmware fix....it would probably mess up those without the issue...maybe into a whole-nother' one. The only way around that would be to offer those with the blur their own beta firmware. (that's if they go to all the trouble)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have one thing to say to the people that continue to buy this TV and bring it back 4 or 5 times. Get a life and buy a different brand. You are not being paid by Hisense to be their Quality Control. For the price this TV is a great second set for your home. If you do have one don't watch the Crown.
It's not just the crown, it's everything I've played (with or without DV or HDR) and watched with DV or HDR. It's double the price up here in canada. I'm really not hurting anyone by trying to bring more attention to this issue but you're entitled to your opinion.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I'll try to check in a little while and post my findings here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not just the crown, it's everything I've played (with or without DV or HDR) and watched with DV or HDR. It's double the price up here in canada. I'm really not hurting anyone by trying to bring more attention to this issue but you're entitled to your opinion.
Have you considered the TCL 6 series? I have both. Biggest difference is blooming in dark scenes and with subtitles. Besides that they are similar TVs. Motion is much better and it has no issues with HDR.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't think you're hurting anyone, and I really doubt its affecting anyone's decision to buy this tv. But now its just getting weird.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks....the drop to 8 bit with DV might be normal as DV is actually 12 bit, but is delivered in an 8 bit container...depending on what device is used. DV encoding is much more complicated than HDR10.
When I run 4K HDR through my Vero4K+, I always get color space 4.4.4 rather than 4.2.0, but I dont believe thats a factor here.
I was hoping that the DV off version was HDR10, since we know that SDR usually doesn't have the blur.
This test can only be done on an Xbox One X since its one of the few devices that let you turn DV off. (Zidoo's and such can turn it off also)
I'm going to have to install Prime on my Xbox One X and check out some of their DV content to see what happens in regard to what specs are received.
Sfsilicon has asked us for input to help Hisense with the issue and this definitely is on the right track.
Thanks once again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks....the drop to 8 bit with DV might be normal as DV is actually 12 bit, but is delivered in an 8 bit container...depending on what device is used. DV encoding is much more complicated than HDR10.
When I run 4K HDR through my Vero4K+, I always get color space 4.4.4 rather than 4.2.0, but I dont believe thats a factor here.
I was hoping that the DV off version was HDR10, since we know that SDR usually doesn't have the blur.
This test can only be done on an Xbox One X since its one of the few devices that let you turn DV off. (Zidoo's and such can turn it off also)
I'm going to have to install Prime on my Xbox One X and check out some of their DV content to see what happens in regard to what specs are received.
Sfsilicon has asked us for input to help Hisense with the issue and this definitely is on the right track.
Thanks once again.
I don't believe that hisense needs any help in identifying this issue. Its as plain as day, and they were making claims they had a fix for this two months ago in the hisense forum on reddit, including from the rep here. My take on the whole situation is they aren't going to fix it. The funny thing is that people like fomo are still saying its a better tv than the Sony and the TCL even with the red ghosting

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,254
I don't believe that hisense needs any help in identifying this issue. Its as plain as day, and they were making claims they had a fix for this two months ago in the hisense forum on reddit, including from the rep here. My take on the whole situation is they aren't going to fix it. The funny thing is that people like fomo are still saying its a better tv than the Sony and the TCL even with the red ghosting
This is the inherent risk about doing "Technical Support" on a public forum and a representative from a company posting information here. I do believe R&D was able to reduce some issue and they believed it was fixed. But without direct communication from R&D we will never know what was fixed. Further if a company tries to be transparent and react fast, if they don't get fixed the get crucified. There is no way to satisfy everyone and folks need to recognize that the person who is posting for Hisense is MARKETING not support. It is not marketing's job to fix issues, in this case part of HisenseCA's job from what she has posted is to gather information through social media channels on what customers think of their products. This is my opinion based on the month I have been watching her interact with this community. The net net is this situation is motivation for all manufacturers not to respond to customer through any channel except their formal support organizations (e.g. call Tech Support). I understand the frustration (I've been posting here 3m vs enjoying my TV) but folks need to understand what is realistic and how their actions impact the bigger picture.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is the inherent risk about doing "Technical Support" on a public forum and a representative from a company posting information here. I do believe R&D was able to reduce some issue and they believed it was fixed. But without direct communication from R&D we will never know what was fixed. Further if a company tries to be transparent and react fast, if they don't get fixed the get crucified. There is no way to satisfy everyone and folks need to recognize that the person who is posting for Hisense is MARKETING not support. It is not marketing's job to fix issues, in this case part of HisenseCA's job from what she has posted is to gather information through social media channels on what customers think of their products. This is my opinion based on the month I have been watching her interact with this community. The net net is this situation is motivation for all manufacturers not to respond to customer through any channel except their formal support organizations (e.g. call Tech Support). I understand the frustration (I've been posting here 3m vs enjoying my TV) but folks need to understand what is realistic and how their actions impact the bigger picture.
Personally( for little thats worth lol), Fomo posting that video on YouTube was huge, and my guess is he learned about it from you guys calling attention to it here. Just have to wait and see if it wakes them up. But I'm also with Fomo in that if I were to buy a sub 1000 dollar 65 inch tv today, it would be the hisense

·
Registered
60 Posts
Literally every single piece of dolby vision content I've tested on this tv has had the motion highlighting, I'm not sure if it's already been discussed but turning DV off for the crown scene gets rid of virtually all the artifacts. This only seems to make a difference in video content as it doesn't help when it comes to games.
How in the world do you turn off Dolby vision

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am going to call costco tomorrow and ask them if I can go through literally every single one of they're tvs one by one to see if they have the red motion issue or not. If they agree and tell me it wouldn't result in my membership being flagged or outright banned, I may be the reason costco canada stops carrying this brand if they sent out this many defective tvs. This isn't a threat but I'm curious if they're right about this only affecting some tvs.
It seems like HDR and DV aren't the cause but rather just exacerbate the issue these sets have with motion. At this point if my 5th set has this issue I have to assume that a majority of these sets have it and something got royally screwed up somewhere up the line(at least for the Canadian batch). The fact that all 4 of my H9Gs have had dead pixels has to be more than bad luck and more so a QA issue. Ashley you are absolutely outstanding but I almost wish you were working for another tv company that didn't have so many problems. I wish I could just move to another brand but at the end of the day this TV just does everything it does right just too darn well.

I know , when the tv works its spectacular , i think if i was the same price as the US version i would keep it but for 1500 Cad i may just pay a bit more for something else

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi guys. I honestly suggest not paying too much attention to HDR/DoVi quality from Netflix at this moment. they dropped the ball big time, it all looks so washed out and soft, so disappointing from them. Yes, maybe there’s something wrong with DoVi with the H9G at the moment too, but if you want to check out the best HDR/DoVi quality from streaming at the moment, go to AppleTv+... it just look AMAZING.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Has anyone tried getting into the service menu and running the "clean chip" feature?

Sound/Balance. Highlight the balance setting then push the numbers 1969 on the remote. If done correctly you should see a M in the top right corner.

Once you see the M you hit the settings button and the Service Menu will appear

This options clears any left over firmware bits once updating to a newer firmware. It also clears all settings and soft resets your TV.

I own a Sharp NU9000, which is a Hisense Panel, and us owners were also having some bad magenta issues, somewhat like you all are having.

The issue still exist somewhat depending on content, but as much as it did after the final firmware update

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

3241 - 3260 of 5024 Posts