AVS Forum banner

6741 - 6760 of 6806 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please help. I can't get the optical out to work properly for 5.1. I have the optical going directly to my Denon 3700H. No matter what I set the TV sound options to in the advanced settings (Auto, pass through, DD, DD+, etc.) almost none of the content I play is actually in 5.1. The dialogue comes out of the left speaker and there is no surround and the center is being bypassed. I am very sure the Denon settings are correct. I have done the speaker setup and testing multiple times.

I am playing 5.1/7/1 content from Netflix, Amazon, and my own Emby titles, but like 95% of the time its not working properly. What's worse is it's not even down-mixing the stuff to normal stereo.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but this is driving me mad. I purposely went for the optical option as I know and experienced the glitches with ARC. My setup is only 5.1 so optical should be the best choice. Am I missing something? Why isn't this working?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just came here to say we overhauled the chipset on the 2021 higher-end Android models. Major upgrades. I'm not sure what models FOMO has but AFAIK, we didn't send him any of ours so I'm wondering if it's more of a generic comment than anything. Sometimes the big tech reviewers get European models sent to them so they can be first to the post with great content. We won't have Mini LEDs in Canada - not sure what the U7G series is in Canada either - guessing the U78G maybe? If so, that's the 2021 variant of the H9G but keep your eyes open for the U88G and UD9G. I haven't seen them in person yet either (WFH) but the R&D team seems really impressed with the YoY improvements.
Ok awesome. Looking forward to it. A new chip should have been at the top of the list so great to hear. If they can somehow keep the good picture from last year and make basically any improvements on top of it (better motion hopefully), I'm in. I sold my H9G (cringe) so currently only have a Sony X900H and I hate it. The picture is lifeless and the sound is complete garbage. I can't wait to sell it for the H9G successor.

Aaaaagh I made another post talking about the U8G and it disappeared....anyway I just saw all the technical info on the 65U8G. Everything but the price...hot damn it sounds good. A remote finder?? Yes please! I wont spoil all the other stuff but you can google it and find the info! It sounds amazing on paper. I think FOMO probably had info on one of the sets but definitely doesn't sound like he knew about the U8G. There's nothing disappointing sounding about it. Quite the opposite.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,744 ·
Very true on the firmware point. I use my set for solely PC usage, so I can't really copy any of their settings because of input lag outside of HDR Game mode. Thankfully the defaults of Game mode/PC input aren't horrible, at least to my eyes on this set.

But I was prompted to buy a calibration tool to try my best at a personal calibration since the gamma curve leaves something to be desired.

On that note I wonder how many people that pay for a professional calibration completely flush that money down the toilet. I know if I set a friend or family member on the right path by choosing anything other than Vivid mode, it's right back to that the next time I visit them. :)
Fellow PC user hear. Are you using Window HDR mode? I'm seeing bad black handling and more artifacting using a PC video player vs the Jellyfin Android App directly to watch the same content files that are hosted on my PC. Posted a comparison watching a starfield scene in Return of the Jedi a while back here. Something wrong with how the H9G handles Windows 10 HDR. This are bit better when I turn off Windows HDR. I've calibrated my H9G using a tool in the past, but that only help when playing content using a PC video player. Unfortunately the last 2 FW changes have impacted the calibration and I've been too lazy to recalibrate.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,745 ·
Please help. I can't get the optical out to work properly for 5.1. I have the optical going directly to my Denon 3700H. No matter what I set the TV sound options to in the advanced settings (Auto, pass through, DD, DD+, etc.) almost none of the content I play is actually in 5.1. The dialogue comes out of the left speaker and there is no surround and the center is being bypassed. I am very sure the Denon settings are correct. I have done the speaker setup and testing multiple times.

I am playing 5.1/7/1 content from Netflix, Amazon, and my own Emby titles, but like 95% of the time its not working properly. What's worse is it's not even down-mixing the stuff to normal stereo.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but this is driving me mad. I purposely went for the optical option as I know and experienced the glitches with ARC. My setup is only 5.1 so optical should be the best choice. Am I missing something? Why isn't this working?
Can't help beyond saying that I use my H9G with a Yamaha soundbar and have not had any issues with ARC. Haven't tried using it directly with my Denon system on my living room set. Have seen several folks having ARC configuration issues. Don't recall too many if any optical issues, but others can chime in.

Some general stuff to check/try, unplug TV and wait 5 minutes before powering on again to make sure there isn't some setting stuck. Next step would be to factory reset and do the 5m thing.
My current settings:
  • Menu > Settings > Sound are: Sound Mode = Standard, Audio Output = ARC
  • Menu > Settings > Sound > Advanced Settings = Digital Audio Out = Auto

Just ran the DD surround test on Youtube and getting surround (as best you can from a soundbar)

Also make sure your using HDMI 1 / ARC port when connecting to your sound device.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I reset to factory defaults, and left it unplugged for an hour. The result is the same. I have narrowed it down a bit, but I still don't have a solution. It seems that Netflix is playing proper 5.1 no matter what settings I use on the TV. Whereas Amazon and Emby don't play proper 5.1 no matter what settings I use, they are still panning everything to the left speaker. Truly perplexing. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
481 Posts

I have exactly the same issue. Hisense says it's the fault of the streaming apps. The streaming apps say it's the fault of Hisense. I finally had enough after spending hours on the phone and online with different tech support personnel that I bought a Roku Ultra box and don't use the apps on the TV, which is really, really, REALLY sad that I had to resort to doing that.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I reset to factory defaults, and left it unplugged for an hour. The result is the same. I have narrowed it down a bit, but I still don't have a solution. It seems that Netflix is playing proper 5.1 no matter what settings I use on the TV. Whereas Amazon and Emby don't play proper 5.1 no matter what settings I use, they are still panning everything to the left speaker. Truly perplexing. Anyone have any other ideas?
It's nothing you're doing wrong, trust me. It's a known issue that Hisense has absolutely no interest in fixing.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's nothing you're doing wrong, trust me. It's a known issue that Hisense has absolutely no interest in fixing.
That's because it's not Hisenses problem....they don't make the Android TV platform, they just use it like many manufactures do. Just like Hewlett Packard isn't responsible for a problem with Windows, they dont make Windows...they make computers.
Support for Android streaming apps is pretty bad....once again, Hisense has nothing to do with that.
Constantly whining about this sure didn't fix anything, did it ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is very informative. Thank you wuzzzer for sharing your experience. I can now focus my energies on trying to get the ARC to work properly or some other solution.

So is this an issue with all/most Android based TVs or is it dependent on the make/model?
I wonder how the TVs with Roku installed fair, any better I hope?

Sorry for my ignorance, and possibly repeating the questions of others, I really wasn't aware of these problems with streaming surround sound from TVs. Thanks!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,751 ·
Sounds like an issue with the App settings. Check the app to see if they have sound settings. Also validate if it is an app issue by using HDMI player and TV. Haven't checked if Amazon is doing DD. Don't use Emby. Will check later when I have time.

Reading @wuzzzer posts and agree. If app issue then getting an external box like an Amazon fire, Roku, Apple TV might be your only recourse.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,752 ·
This is very informative. Thank you wuzzzer for sharing your experience. I can now focus my energies on trying to get the ARC to work properly or some other solution.

So is this an issue with all/most Android based TVs or is it dependent on the make/model?
I wonder how the TVs with Roku installed fair, any better I hope?

Sorry for my ignorance, and possibly repeating the questions of others, I really wasn't aware of these problems with streaming surround sound from TVs. Thanks!
Assuming Google does not exhaustively test all TVs or Apps. Microsoft never did and folks assumed it was the app or PC maker at fault if it was not compatible. Both Android TV and Google TV are new. In the big scheme of things Hisense is not premium brand and I am assuming resources are limited to do this level of testing. Then if you go deep you need to Denon + Hisense + App testing which each company might not care or have the resources to do. Your guess is as good as mine. This is all about economics, difficulty level to fix and troubleshoot root of the problem, how much each brand facing the customer cares and how many customers are screaming. In the big scheme of things, I'm guessing this is not at the level of "red ghosting" so good luck getting it fixed. It is frustrating, but that why you pay what you pay for a Hisense. Enjoy the PQ that's what most folks buy the TV for. :)

Was seeing a lot of audio issues recently so I will try to update the FAQ to help future visitors. If anyone wants to compile a post that I can link to that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Assuming Google does not exhaustively test all TVs or Apps. Microsoft never did and folks assumed it was the app or PC maker at fault if it was not compatible. Both Android TV and Google TV are new. In the big scheme of things Hisense is not premium brand and I am assuming resources are limited to do this level of testing. Then if you go deep you need to Denon + Hisense + App testing which each company might not care or have the resources to do. Your guess is as good as mine. This is all about economics, difficulty level to fix and troubleshoot root of the problem, how much each brand facing the customer cares and how many customers are screaming. In the big scheme of things, I'm guessing this is not at the level of "red ghosting" so good luck getting it fixed. It is frustrating, but that why you pay what you pay for a Hisense. Enjoy the PQ that's what most folks buy the TV for. :)

Was seeing a lot of audio issues recently so I will try to update the FAQ to help future visitors. If anyone wants to compile a post that I can link to that would be much appreciated.
All very true....I would equate the apps on tv issue to the old days when the first thing you did when you got a new car was to get rid of the awful stock audio system (can't do that now...and the new systems are damn good).
Expecting any tv, yet alone a 900 dollar one, to do everything perfectly all the time is a little unrealistic. Even a 3000 dollar set running Android would have the same issues...with Android.
And really, a 30 dollar Roko or similar gets the job done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my H9G for over a month now and I'm really happy with it. It is definitely the best TV I have owned. I haven't noticed any issues with motion myself, not to say there isn't any.

I am wondering which would be better for streaming quality wise. Using the Android TV built in apps or using Xbox Series X for streaming apps. Pros and cons to either? Sound doesn't matter as I am just using the tv speakers anyways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First post! I just received my H9G from Amazon today. It’s replacing a 2017 LG OLED with a bad case of burn-in (mental note: never buy an OLED screen again unless it will only be used for movies).

The screen is great, I’m still tweaking the settings but I have done most of the rtings recommended adjustments.

A couple notes:

-I discovered the sound quality in Disney Plus through my sound bar is crap, but it sounds fine through my Apple TV 4K running through the HDMI 4 input. Go figure. I found an old post on reddit about this but so far it’s still an open issue but Hisense has confirmed it. I’m just using an old Vizio soundbar+sub (2.1) and the optical cable, and the different digital output settings don’t seem to make a difference.

-No airplay 2? Somehow I missed this when comparing all the specs... looks like I’ll keep my Apple TV hooked up for that purpose.

-What is “wall mount setup” in the sound settings? That’s not covered in the manual. My TV is wall-mounted, so should I turn that on? Or does it only apply to using the built in speakers (I have mine turned off?)

·
Registered
129 Posts
First post! I just received my H9G from Amazon today. It’s replacing a 2017 LG OLED with a bad case of burn-in (mental note: never buy an OLED screen again unless it will only be used for movies).

The screen is great, I’m still tweaking the settings but I have done most of the rtings recommended adjustments.

A couple notes:

-I discovered the sound quality in Disney Plus through my sound bar is crap, but it sounds fine through my Apple TV 4K running through the HDMI 4 input. Go figure. I found an old post on reddit about this but so far it’s still an open issue but Hisense has confirmed it. I’m just using an old Vizio soundbar+sub (2.1) and the optical cable, and the different digital output settings don’t seem to make a difference.

-No airplay 2? Somehow I missed this when comparing all the specs... looks like I’ll keep my Apple TV hooked up for that purpose.

-What is “wall mount setup” in the sound settings? That’s not covered in the manual. My TV is wall-mounted, so should I turn that on? Or does it only apply to using the built in speakers (I have mine turned off?)
Welcome to the forum
  • The H9G should only do a passthrough for the sound, so anything else is an issue with Disney and how it supports the Android app. Maybe does a better job on Apple TV devices.
  • It's an Android TV, no Airplay.....
  • IMO, I think it refers to how the down firing speakers "bounce" the sound; when the TV is sitting on a flat surface a few inches away with the legs, vs mounted on the wall with nothing to "bounce" the sound right underneath.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's an Android TV, no Airplay.....
Whether it is a Android TV or not doesn't really matter if a manufacturer supports Apple Airplay, the manufacturer just has to pay the licensing for Airplay. Other Android TVs (Sony's) have both Chromecast and Airplay.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,758 ·

A couple notes:

Congrats!

When and where was your H9G manufactured (sticker on the back near HDMI ports).

See prior posts, sound through the apps are hit and miss. If you have an AppleTV might as well use that.

Think you can ignore the "wall mount setup". Never noticed it or noticed a problem not using it. My H9G is also wall mounted for months now. I use a soundbar so don't know if it impact sound, but your guess is what I would have guessed too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats!

When and where was your H9G manufactured (sticker on the back near HDMI ports).

See prior posts, sound through the apps are hit and miss. If you have an AppleTV might as well use that.

Think you can ignore the "wall mount setup". Never noticed it or noticed a problem not using it. My H9G is also wall mounted for months now. I use a soundbar so don't know if it impact sound, but your guess is what I would have guessed too.
Mine was made in Mexico, December 2020.
Hopefully I'm not affected by the "red ghosting" issue I read about, but I haven't noticed it and haven't gone looking for it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6,760 ·
Mine was made in Mexico, December 2020.
Hopefully I'm not affected by the "red ghosting" issue I read about, but I haven't noticed it and haven't gone looking for it.
Your call. Once your past the return period then getting it fixed is painful. But I get not looking for trouble. Thanks for build date. Wonder if we will see January 2021 ones soon.

6741 - 6760 of 6806 Posts