AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 4964 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you! Glad I waited, wish we had true 120hz over HDMI.

Seems like I might just wait for 2021 for more HDMI 2.1 sets to be released.
Semi interested in what Vizio will be able to do with its OLED this year at a reasonable price.

The H9G had me interested because of the crazy brightness for HDR highlights on a budget set.
Hopefully my KS8000 holds it together for another year or so.

Yes it adds a 120Hz row. Can't tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That Mulan video shows next to nothing as far as I can tell. What am I supposed to be seeing at 1:34? Is there red there? Poor example if so imo. If there's anything wrong there it's very hard to see.

With that said there is a red issue whether that video shows it or not, and it can be pretty bad in certain spots of The Last Of Us 2. I think this video of Ghost Of Tsushima that someone uploaded a few weeks ago shows basically the same thing I see in The Last Of Us 2. If your eyes have trouble seeing the issue in this video, set the playback speed to .25 and it's very apparent.

Have people tried this with and without HDR on so we know it's an HDR issue? Is it a Playstation 4 HDR issue? Have we tried it with different HDMI cables to rule that out? I personally haven't tried any of that but wondering if anyone else has checked different possibilities.

I know some people say they don't have the issue, but I think that they probably do and just haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,083
That Mulan video shows next to nothing as far as I can tell. What am I supposed to be seeing at 1:34? Is there red there? Poor example if so imo. If there's anything wrong there it's very hard to see.

With that said there is a red issue whether that video shows it or not, and it can be pretty bad in certain spots of The Last Of Us 2. I think this video of Ghost Of Tsushima that someone uploaded a few weeks ago shows basically the same thing I see in The Last Of Us 2. If your eyes have trouble seeing the issue in this video, set the playback speed to .25 and it's very apparent.

Have people tried this with and without HDR on so we know it's an HDR issue? Is it a Playstation 4 HDR issue? Have we tried it with different HDMI cables to rule that out? I personally haven't tried any of that but wondering if anyone else has checked different possibilities.

I know some people say they don't have the issue, but I think that they probably do and just haven't seen it yet.
Thanks for getting this on video. I saw similar issue when I got K0725 but I downgraded too quick after that. However, I still see this issue on K0603 now. I didn't have this issue when everyone was talking about ghosting in July. I started seeing this glow after K0725 update and it's now stuck with K0603 downgrade.
I'm in the same boat. Ghosting hardly noticeable with K0603, did the K0725 OTA = things got a lot worse, downgraded to K0603 beta and still seeing the worse red ghosting.

I use my H9G as a PC monitor via HDMI input running at 4k 60Hz and HDR10 per the H9G screen info. My other big use case for this TV is Youtube/Netflix and other streaming apps. See the Alita footage which is very similar to the Ghost Of Tsushima video impact. Before K0725 this was barely noticeable around the eyebrows of the lady cyborg and only in the split second where she was standing up. Now as you can see below its everywhere in this dark fight scene of Alita. The reason why I brought up the Mulan 2020 trailer #2 HDR10 was because I did a quick check for other HDR10 videos that were on Youtube so as not to be limited only to my PC HDMI source. I was surprised that I was seeing the ghosting on a bright scene. I've since watched other 4k HDR movies and see more ghosting. It is very irritating. Hard to ignore when you see this in the use cases you bought the TV for. I just want to get back to my pre K0725 state. I don't have the time to go through thousands of content to find a long scene like Alita, but I try to post these things in the hope it makes this problem reproducible for @HisenseCA.This is on top of the blooming and other issue from the QuantumTV video.

Some screenshots for the folks who are not clear what "red ghosting" means. The effect is easiest to see when the scene is low light and there is a lot of motion and sharp contrast like faces, hair, etc.The last screenshot of Ito's face is very interesting. You basically see the ghosting of the previous Alita frame all over his face. Also note the blue overdrive in some of the screens.

Back to work!

·
Registered
674 Posts

This isn't just a Hisense issue.....Ghosting can be found in practically all non OLED panels. There are a vast amount of posts from all over with this subject. It mainly affects HDR content....so,is it a panel or HDR encoding problem ?

·
Registered
28 Posts

If that is true, the I'm totally OK with ignorance being bliss....lol....I really don't want to see it, particularly when people are saying "once you see it, you notice it all of the time". Sounds like some kind of visual disease to me....lol.....don't want to catch it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If that is true, the I'm totally OK with ignorance being bliss....lol....I really don't want to see it, particularly when people are saying "once you see it, you notice it all of the time". Sounds like some kind of visual disease to me....lol.....don't want to catch it!
I
I would take any panel that motion doesn't artifact with a huge red trail. The vast majority of people that have this issue simply return or exchange the TV. My issue was I gave hisense the chance to repair the TV and all they have done is jerk me around.

I wasn't even mad that I had an issue, **** happens. I am mad at the fact they won't support the product and we are to the point now they won't even return my calls.

I don't think in any way I am sensitive to an imperfect panel. Hell, I am using a TCL6 series with bad banding over the h9g right now. There is just something very wrong with some of the TVs and Hisense is refusing to replace them.

If people trying to "TEST" their TVs to better understand the issues bothers you. I suggest you stop reading the AVS forums.
No, I'm just saying it seems like people are looking for the "perfect panel" nowadays and will return a TV because of a little DSE because they ran some sort of test. The various manufacturers do have their issues, not matter how much the TV costs......just read some of the posts on AV Forum or Reddit for Sony or Samsung or LG and you'll see what I'm talking about. I read one post on Reddit where a guy ordered 3 different sets and was going to return 2 of them once he figured out which was the best one, now that's just ridiculous and taking advantage of many retailers' liberal TV return policies...because of behaviors like that I won't be surprised if those return policies are changed someday soon because of how many TVs are being returned nowadays. That being said, I do believe that you definitely have a problem with your set and it should be fixed or replaced under warranty....and if I had the issue and they wouldn't do that, I'd be pissed too.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I

No, I'm just saying it seems like people are looking for the "perfect panel" nowadays and will return a TV because of a little DSE because they ran some sort of test. The various manufacturers do have their issues, not matter how much the TV costs......just read some of the posts on AV Forum or Reddit for Sony or Samsung or LG and you'll see what I'm talking about. I read one post on Reddit where a guy ordered 3 different sets and was going to return 2 of them once he figured out which was the best one, now that's just ridiculous and taking advantage of many retailers' liberal TV return policies...because of behaviors like that I won't be surprised if those return policies are changed someday soon because of how many TVs are being returned nowadays. That being said, I do believe that you definitely have a problem with your set and it should be fixed or replaced under warranty....and if I had the issue and they wouldn't do that, I'd be pissed too.
A lot of truth to what you say.
The H9G I have stutters on the train video. Don't care, I have never seen it at any other time when watching normal content. Most of the time the PQ is great.

I have a C7 OLED that has a lot of DSE and bad gray uniformity per "tests" I have found on youtube. Don't care, I dont see it on normal content and the PQ is outstanding.

I have a Sony X900F that has blooming around white letters on a dark background and blooming in certain times around black bars(rare). Don't care. 99% of content looks fantastic.

No panel is perfect, and at the end of the day, I don't watch test patterns, I watch TV.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What happens if you just install the k603 firmware while on the newest? Will it just fail?

Id by happy to post a link. No idea if its allowed or it will brick the TV though.
whoa, how do you have K0603? I don't have it. H-USA send it? So here's the spiel - whenever I personally email someone firmware - I tell them NOT to share it. Because there are a lot of people out there that see "ABC solution" firmware link and ignore the model number or screen size that it is for. Firmware is ALWAYS model number and SOMETIMES screen size-dependent. The K0603 for the H9G(Q9G) will BRICK the H8G (Q8G) even though the firmware has the same name. As long as you are 100% sure which firmware you are downloading and what your television model ID is, you guys are smart enough to figure it out; but Hisense USA, Hisense Canada and Hisense International are not liable if you knowingly download the incorrect firmware - and it bricks your TV - voiding your warranty. I'd also prefer you did it via DM rather than posting it publicly. It won't brick the TV if you have K0603 for the H9G and the other user also has the H9G. Official software can always be used as a downgrade, if necessary.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Gunna put some clarification here because I keep seeing lots of wrong information. Not sure if it's miscommunication or me being unclear so I apologize if it's the latter.
1. The update that went out enhanced motion, corrected the "Blacks Displaying as Purples in HDR while Gaming" and corrected a Google Assistant Compatibility issue - this is what I know. I am waiting for the rest of the list from R&D.
2. There is no such thing as a BETA and an official firmware of the same name. This isn't possible.
The OFFICIAL firmware y'all had was K0603.
The BETA was K0620.
The new OFFICIAL version is K0725.

I believe these codes were the same for the H8G as well, but the firmware is NOT the same so please don't try to download another TV version. I know most of you know this. But I'm saying it anyway.

Thank you for sharing the images above, low and behold I can FINALLY see the red. Granted it's in screencaps but it helps to communicate the problem.
I have access to Canada Information but not the US, what I can tell you, honestly, is that I have 6 cases in Canada where someone reported "reddish HDR stuff" to our call centre team, but it's still unclear if this was the HDR PURPLE Gaming Problem or the RED Motion blur - two different problems. On this board, I think (and math isn't my strong suit, guys, so play nice) I've seen 14 people reporting the red motion issue (and I think 2 unique folks on Reddit that aren't overlapped)- so yes, the issue is not as widespread as people think (22/XXXXX TVs Sold) - or at least it's not bothersome enough for some people to report it to us. Doesn't mean we're not dealing with it. R&D told me this morning they've assigned a specific project manager to stay on top of HQ engineering while they try to figure out what's happening and how to fix it. You're right in that if they can't, for some reason, we will have to do some exchanges for customers.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,091
I wall mounted my 55" to be able to used it with my computer desk. That's why its not easy for me to my Xbox One to it and play 4k HDR blurays on it. I'm motivated not to return the TV but the current state is what I would call broken.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Stop the fomo video on motion vs a couple other sets. Haven't watched it yet myself.
The "Soap Opera Effect" personally doesn't bother me and I like the smoothing effect, so I keep both of my sets on "Standard" in the motion enhancement settings....works perfectly for me, no juddering or artifacts or blur.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,093
Gunna put some clarification here because I keep seeing lots of wrong information. Not sure if it's miscommunication or me being unclear so I apologize if it's the latter.
1. The update that went out enhanced motion, corrected the "Blacks Displaying as Purples in HDR while Gaming" and corrected a Google Assistant Compatibility issue - this is what I know. I am waiting for the rest of the list from R&D.
2. There is no such thing as a BETA and an official firmware of the same name. This isn't possible.
The OFFICIAL firmware y'all had was K0603.
The BETA was K0620.
The new OFFICIAL version is K0725.

I believe these codes were the same for the H8G as well, but the firmware is NOT the same so please don't try to download another TV version. I know most of you know this. But I'm saying it anyway.

Thank you for sharing the images above, low and behold I can FINALLY see the red. Granted it's in screencaps but it helps to communicate the problem.
I have access to Canada Information but not the US, what I can tell you, honestly, is that I have 6 cases in Canada where someone reported "reddish HDR stuff" to our call centre team, but it's still unclear if this was the HDR PURPLE Gaming Problem or the RED Motion blur - two different problems. On this board, I think (and math isn't my strong suit, guys, so play nice) I've seen 14 people reporting the red motion issue (and I think 2 unique folks on Reddit that aren't overlapped)- so yes, the issue is not as widespread as people think (22/XXXXX TVs Sold) - or at least it's not bothersome enough for some people to report it to us. Doesn't mean we're not dealing with it. R&D told me this morning they've assigned a specific project manager to stay on top of HQ engineering while they try to figure out what's happening and how to fix it. You're right in that if they can't, for some reason, we will have to do some exchanges for customers.
Thank you for clarifying. Having an official page with release notes really would help avoid this confusion.

In my case I made a mistake and was on K603 before updating to K0725 and now I'm on K0620 "beta" that you sent me. I would like to try going back to K603 if that is possible. I have some hope that the problem with increased Red Ghosting happened with K0620/K0725 FW branch. If your R&D was not able to reproduce the red ghosting while working on the "blacks displaying as purples" fix they might have made the red ghosting worse in the process. Or it could have been the motion improvements and brightness increase.

I've documented what I am seeing in detail before as other posters here. I open to working with you to summarize what is on this thread this if your R&D team is interested.

Appreciate the data from Canada. I'm concerned that 2nd level support in the USA is not following up with customers so their numbers might be lower. At least for me on the K0603 FW the issue was barely noticable compared to some others. With the K0725 OTA you might start seeing more instances, since in my experience this is what made the issue worse for me. I will be submitting a ticket today to USA support, but dread contacting them. They also did not call me after promising to contact me before (WiFi 5GHz issue).

As always I appreciate the job your doing here.

·
Registered
674 Posts
After reading all about HDR for the past 24 hours I have come to one big conclusion.....HDR is just not ready for prime time.
Too many formats, no standard for encoding, color depth, and a host of other issues. I believe it's just assumed if its HDR, it must be perfect....it most certainly is not.
Dolby Vision seems to be the most technically advanced form, but is rarely used. HDR10 which is 99.9 percent of what we see is generic at best.
The whole reason I bring this up is to let some of you rest easier since you might think your set is broken when it isn't, no matter whether your source is bluray, 4K or streaming. There is no guarantee that the ghosting you are seeing is a set defect or that it can be fixed by firmware either.
If your set looks fine on SDR....be happy.

·
Registered
582 Posts
After reading all about HDR for the past 24 hours I have come to one big conclusion.....HDR is just not ready for prime time.
Too many formats, no standard for encoding, color depth, and a host of other issues. I believe it's just assumed if its HDR, it must be perfect....it most certainly is not.
Dolby Vision seems to be the most technically advanced form, but is rarely used. HDR10 which is 99.9 percent of what we see is generic at best.
The whole reason I bring this up is to let some of you rest easier since you might think your set is broken when it isn't, no matter whether your source is bluray, 4K or streaming. There is no guarantee that the ghosting you are seeing is a set defect or that it can be fixed by firmware either.
If your set looks fine on SDR....be happy.
If the same sets with the same source perform differently(one has red overtones, one does not) , I would think its fair to say some of the panels are defective.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,098
Wow, just to share how bad Hisense-USA support is: I submitted my registration information 2x and did not receive any email confirmation. I then decide to try to contact support. I ask 2 questions, 1) will I receive email confirmation, 2) is it better to call or email support? The chat lady proceeds to register me and ask me for my receipt since they did not get it? After I'm registered I'm typing to ask about question 2 and she exits the chat. Wow!

Let's see if they even respond to my email regarding red ghosting or if I will have to call them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If the same sets with the same source perform differently(one has red overtones, one does not) , I would think its fair to say some of the panels are defective.
From what info I can find, it seems the ghosting problem is caused by the panel speed.....I certainly believe some panels of the same model can be slower.....we are talking microseconds here, but still be within spec. The slightly slower panel might show "the smear".
Does that mean the panel is bad? Not really. Its a real shame that some have this issue, but I can see why Hisense would be hesitant to swap panels for an issue that really might not be an issue. Over on the Samsung boards those with the same issue didn't get new panels. All of this HDR tech was thrown into sets made by everyone just in the last few years to remain competitive.
This is why I look to blame the source, HDR encoding.
I found this video very interesting as he pretty much confirms what the tech boards believe....

·
Registered
582 Posts
From what info I can find, it seems the ghosting problem is caused by the panel speed.....I certainly believe some panels of the same model can be slower.....we are talking microseconds here, but still be within spec. The slightly slower panel might show "the smear".
Does that mean the panel is bad? Not really. Its a real shame that some have this issue, but I can see why Hisense would be hesitant to swap panels for an issue that really might not be an issue. Over on the Samsung boards those with the same issue didn't get new panels. All of this HDR tech was thrown into sets made by everyone just in the last few years to remain competitive.
This is why I look to blame the source, HDR encoding.
I found this video very interesting as he pretty much confirms what the tech boards believe....

Technically you may be right as it seems you know a lot more technically about this issue than me, but the fact remains that only some of the panels may be slower speed and a small percentage at that.
And if slower panel speed means red smear when watching HDR content, I would say its a bad panel if the end result is the customer having to view their favorite shows with a red smear.
IMO, it's not the source material if it doesn't happen on EVERY panel that has the same source. We are getting into technical semantics. And it is unfair for Hisense (and Samsung) to not replace the panel if it only happens on a small percentage of them. They may elect to not replace panels with this IMO defect, but they will also lose that customer, and every one that person can tell as a future customer. From a marketing perspective, I don't think that would be worth it. And this is coming from someone who does NOT have this issue.

1081 - 1100 of 4964 Posts