AVS Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 3577 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe it's just my computer monitor but when I look at that FOMO blur video I see a reddish tint right under the hairline on 3 of the 4 TVs. Samsung is the only one completely clean, the H9G shows the most, but I also see it on the Sony and TCL.
I honestly think that Crown scene is messed up in general , as i previously mentioned my old samsung 1080p tv has issues with the scene , that said my main problem with the motion seemed to be somewhat helped by playing with motion smoothing , i still have red blur but honestly not sure i wanna pay a bunch of money just to get rid of it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe it's just my computer monitor but when I look at that FOMO blur video I see a reddish tint right under the hairline on 3 of the 4 TVs. Samsung is the only one completely clean, the H9G shows the most, but I also see it on the Sony and TCL.
I thought so too

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well lets settle this. That Crown scene has nothing wrong. Nothing! Nor has neither that infamous The Witcher scene people also accuse of being “wrong”. Those were just examples that show the prevalent issue with this tv for many of us. Blaming the series, or the movies, or Netflix, or the streaming quality is just inventing excuses and won’t lead us to an actual solution of the problem; the tv itself.

And Stop the Fomo was wrong, The Crown is actually edited with HDR, wether is real HDR or fake HDR is another matter, the fact is that the moment the tv enters in HDR/Dolby Vision mode the problem begins, regardless the source and if certain tones/brightness are there the problem will show up.

I think we have to thank Stop the Fomo for bring the subject publicly, but he needs to learn much more about it before assuming things.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,204
I have the red ghosting issue, but I am keeping the set. It looked worse in video recording than in person. I had to really pay attention to when it was playing and know exactly when it was going to occur. If I did not know what to look for, I would not have noticed it.

I have since stopped trying to find other shows with the problem. I am hoping my set is just one that has the problem, but not so bad.
Please post your MFG date and location. TIA!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well lets settle this. That Crown scene has nothing wrong. Nothing! Nor has neither that infamous The Witcher scene people also accuse of being “wrong”. Those were just examples that show the prevalent issue with this tv for many of us. Blaming the series, or the movies, or Netflix, or the streaming quality is just inventing excuses and won’t lead us to an actual solution of the problem; the tv itself.

And Stop the Fomo was wrong, The Crown is actually edited with HDR, wether is real HDR or fake HDR is another matter, the fact is that the moment the tv enters in HDR/Dolby Vision mode the problem begins, regardless the source and if certain tones/brightness are there the problem will show up.

I think we have to thank Stop the Fomo for bring the subject publicly, but he needs to learn much more about it before assuming things.
I haven't seen anyone other than you blame it on the shows themselves, and fomo is not wrong, he's forgotten more than most people know around here. Like I keep saying, if you don't like set, return it. Nobody here will fault you

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,206
Hello everyone, I already wrote in this thread about the problem with red with examples. I have a European counterpart of this TV 65U8QF. (April 2020 production China) I keep in touch with local Heisens support in my country, this is what they answered me a couple of days ago:

"For the 65th diagonal, it is recommended to replace the main board of the new modification. Now we need to clarify exactly how the process will take place ... If the order of the part will take place from the "native" factories, it will take a long time. Perhaps the batch has already been delivered to Europe."
I'd double check with them on this. I have heard that the issue is the TCON board. Me personally, and I have seen others on this thread say, have gotten TCON, Mainboard and LVDS replaced. I think the later is the general generic fix for any image issues. Only difference would be if we are getting the "fixed" boards, which Hisense as of today has not shared any way to identify them. Did your local support confirm that the U8QF is a rebadge H9G like the Q9G? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,209
As far as I'm concerned, the Crown scene is not a valid test for confirming the problem, too many variables. If that was the only issue you had then you have a good panel. If you ran the Alita scene from 4K bluray with no issues...you have a good panel.
Only thing I would add is if your concerned that you might have the red ghosting run these scenes and/or the others folks have reported. If your happy with your TV keep it. Take a full screen video of each scene you try so that you have some documentation that the TV is good or bad in case you see it later. Key is do all these checks before you run out of return period. All this discussion about people "seeing" or not, about expert reports, etc. is useless if you are having an issue. You see what you see and if you can document it you have a chance when you request for a warranty repair or some other remedy. If you don't want to deal with the issue or wading through the support machine return the set. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,210 (Edited)
I just don't have any way to record a video....I detest cell phones. And I'm not going to buy a camera to satisfy frustrated Hisense owners.
Like Merubin,I would probably have the issue on that scene also. Would I care if I did? Not one little bit.
I get Prime for 6 bucks a month....so I have that. I wouldn't pay Netflix a dollar a month for their substandard service. Your experience mirrors others...no ghosting at first...then some...then a lot. And you did the right thing....got rid of it.
The post we got today from Ashley was pretty damning....if you read between the lines I would bet the higher ups told her nothing is going to happen with a fix.
Makes sense. Sorry after months of reading on this thread it starts to become a blur who said what and when. I'll try to add this to my long term storage why you don't post videos. :)

I still need to read and respond to Ashley's post. I'm not ignoring it but you folks post so much and after reading the last pages from latest to 4 pages deep my main take away is post less (darn the lure to respond to each comment like we ARE having a conversation). Might not get to it right now, have to buy groceries and weekends my main time to do errands, spend time with the family, etc.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,211
Geez, if the red ghosting is bothering you, return the set.
Excuse me. I have posted that I am in the process of a repair. I have posted pictures and reports to help other folks here. I am only doing the repair because I am 2 months past my return period. I am not able to return my set if it isn't obvious.

Folks, friendly reminder that there is a Like button on each post and you can also hover the poster name then click the three dots of the resulting pop up to ignore users. Not seeing posts from people you feel are irritating you will help to keep some of the back and forth down. Feel free to ignore me if you feel my contributions fall into that category.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Excuse me. I have posted that I am in the process of a repair. I have posted pictures and reports to help other folks here. I am only doing the repair because I am 2 months past my return period. I am not able to return my set if it isn't obvious.
Did you ask hisense for a refund, because they don't have a fix for it

·
Registered
365 Posts

Folks, friendly reminder that there is a Like button on each post and you can also hover the poster name then click the three dots of the resulting pop up to ignore users. Not seeing posts from people you feel are irritating you will help to keep some of the back and forth down. Feel free to ignore me if you feel my contributions fall into that category.
Your posts are respectful in my opinion all I have seen you do is try to keep people informed.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I haven't seen anyone other than you blame it on the shows themselves, and fomo is not wrong, he's forgotten more than most people know around here. Like I keep saying, if you don't like set, return it. Nobody here will fault you
I have never, ever blame on the shows themselves, you can read all my posts from the beginning, since I’ve tested it with different sources bluray4K included and the problem is there in HDR modes. Those clips were just for example purposes and it amaze me how poeple prefer to minimize the issue blaming the many other factors other than the tv. I’ve always said the tv is the problem, and no, I won’t return the tv because if other people have a perfect sets, as Hisense and others claim, I have all the rights to have one myself because I’ve paid no less than any of them.

And yes, Stop the Fomo was wrong in claiming The Crown was not HDR, because it is. But I sure thank him very very much for talking about the issue publicly, he just needs to keep knowing it a bit more.

·
Registered
384 Posts
By the way guys, I had an amazing experience with the tv a couple of days ago. I was watching the 8th episode from The Haunting of Bly Manor, and it was beautiful, deep blacks, bright detailed specular highlights, and more importantly in DolbyVision with NO red blur!!! ...but why? what changed? well.. the episode is entirely black and white.... and for one hour I had a vision of what would be enjoying my tv without the red ghosting and it was marvelous :cry:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,216 (Edited)
Ok - please don't shoot the messenger - there's a reason I'm on this account - I just watched the video clip 5 times. I watched it 3 times on here. I made it full screen once and I clicked the link to go to YouTube once. I can VERY clearly see the issue in the un-moving screen grabs but I did not see it even once in the YouTube video. I can see that other people are commenting that they did so I'm confused. Is there something wrong with my eyes? I am trying to understand waht customers are seeing - because I've seen it before on other clips - The Crown- and I don't have a technical background so it helps me to learn so I can A. talk to R&D more successfully and B. talk to higher knowledge level customers.

I went to all the plugged time stamps and tried watching from there - no red. No blur. Is my laptop computer processing it differently or something? I don't get it. To be clear, I'm on your side, I don't think anyone is lying, I know its a problem, but I legitimately cannot see any motion blur or red whatsoever in the video.
No problem Ashley. I'm reading this as you wrote it, you can't see it and I will try to explain how you could see it, since this is important for folks to reproduce this issue. I will try to respond to this in more detail later since I am running out of time. Quick response is I know this issue is not easy to see because it is motion based and there is some variability in how bad a given TV is and how sensitive you are to the effect. For the most part my experience of the "red ghosting" is irritating color flashes on the edges of sharp contrast objects, especially hair or facial features in motion scenes, e.g. fights or quick cuts. It is more irritating since your eyes tend to lock on faces and high contrast items (color theory supports this and I need to dig up / ready up my old motion theory to find an explanation why my eyes are sensitive to this). This is not limited to Alita and I think there is enough discussion / opinion on what scenes can be used to show the effect.

My attempts to reproduce the issue include the Youtube and screenshots. The screenshots are proof that this is not just a mental issue on my part. The video is pretty obvious for folks sensitive to the issue, but I appreciate the feedback that you can't (yet) see it. Also the implication that you are trying to see it to improve your understanding of the issue (Thumbs up!). Some quick suggestions, playing on a laptop might not help, you need to look at it on a big screen. Smaller screens and lower resolutions will push the pixels together making it harder to see the effect. Another factor for other folks is the viewing distance which will result in the same effect of reducing pixels. A quick test for what I mean is, pick the picture where you can see the least of the effect, view that full screen and zoom in and you will see the effect more pronounced. Hope that explains it and if not I will try to figure out a way to help you later. The other quick tip is watch the video in slow motion. I don't know if Youtube has a speed feature. I can upload the original 4k video for you so you can do the slow speed analysis. My guess is if you run it a couple of time at a slower speed where you can see the effect when you speed it up your eye will be able to capture it easier at a faster speed (eye and brain training). Last two things to check, 1) make sure you are playing the video full screen and at least 1080p in a dedicated Youtube window, do not do the tiny preview in my AVSforum post for the same reasons above. 2) You need to control the lighting. Dark room is best. Bright light make it harder to spot.

For folks wondering why this is all relevant. Two of my top use cases for buying a 55" H9G is to use it as a 4k HDR monitor for my windows PC. My eyes are less than 2 feet away from the screen. Second I want to watch 4K HDR movies (and streaming content) so when I do this normally it is night time and I turn off all the lights to get as close as I can to a movie theater experience. The later is a very typical use case and the former is a bit less common. I'm just trying to avoid a lot of back and forth that I'm using the TV in a way I should not be.

Folks that post here hopefully see that I am trying to help and contribute as I have been doing since day 1 of starting this thread. Good luck and hopefully we can get this thread more focused on helping other owners and Hisense to hopefully fix an issue that would make an otherwise amazing TV one of the best out there.

---

Update: Tested the Youtube video on my Matebook X 13" LCD IPS 2K screen. Here is what you should try Ashley.
  1. Go to
    in a browser
  2. Click on the Settings (Gear) icon on the bottom right.
  3. Select 1440p or higher resolution and click on playback speed - 0.25. (You might want to mute the sound before pressing play)
  4. Click on the full screen icon on the bottom right.
  5. Press play to start the video and jump to 0:11s. Watch the lady cyborg's right eyebrow as she stands up. You will notice that when there is little movement at the beginning the eyebrow has no ghosting and is black. At 0:13s as the motion speeds up you start seeing some red under the eyebrow opposite of the motion. Shortly after the motion stops, you see the red ghosting shoot over and go on top then disappear. Note when her face is fairly stable you don't see anything.
  6. Change the speed to 0.5 and repeat step 5 and see if you can track the red ghosting effect at the faster speed.
  7. Keep increasing the speed till your at playback speed Normal. This way you can see how the effect appears at normal speed. Depending on your sensitivity and how bad the effect is with a given TV it will be more or less noticeable. For me it appears as a nagging blur at the end of the motion of the eyebrow for this scene. Its not so bad here. It does show how hard this is to see unless your eye is sensitive to it.
  8. Now set the playback speed back to 0.25 and jump to 00:16s. Watch how bad the effect is on Itos (man) and Alitas faces in the next two quick scenes. Repeat steps 6 and 7. Since the effect is on the whole face it is much easier to see at normal speed. Note how you initially see now red/yellow glow when Itos face is not moving then the whole face bursts into glow as he moves. Same with Alita.
  9. Jump to 00:26s and repeat step 8 and watch Alita's face light up while she is punching the cyborg that is out of scene.
My key point here is that I have a problem with the my TV. I hope you will be able to get a sense of what I am seeing at normal speed after following the above instructions. Some my call it minor, but it really bugs me and destroys my watching experience to the point I call the TV defective. Slowing it down explains why I am seeing what I am seeing, just more pronounced and undeniable. Further I see this in a lot of content I watch and in a lot of the test scenes folks have been listing here, e.g. the crown, witcher, batman begins, dark knight and just yesterday Xmen days of future past. I see this when using HDMI and built in Apps like Youtube (Gemini man DV) and play 4K UHD movies from a USB stick (Dark Knight, Alita, Batman Begins, XMen DOTP). This is too wide spread on my set to be a content only issue or an App/Source issue. Now after the failed "repair" (replacing TCON, Mainboard, LVDS cables) I'm now wondering if this is a hardware issue. I'm not the expert but by process of elimination it could still be a panel issue, but I'm leaning towards an image processing issue.

After watching FOMOs video I still need to try to turn on some motion processing. I have it completely off right now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,217
Did you ask hisense for a refund, because they don't have a fix for it
In all due respect (this is an appeal to all the new posters). Please read my posts a few pages back. Just do a a quick search in the bar above for sfsilicon and in this thread. I posted a detailed report of my repair experience on Thursday. Long story short. I can't ask for a refund before they deem the TV unrepairable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
In all due respect (this is an appeal to all the new posters). Please read my posts a few pages back. Just do a a quick search in the bar above for sfsilicon and in this thread. I posted a detailed report of my repair experience on Thursday. Long story short. I can't ask for a refund before they deem the TV unrepairable.
You seem to misunderstand me, for that I apologize. I'm agreeing with you a thousand percent that there is a very big problem, and hopefully you saw the youtube post by fomo where he shows examples of the problem to the entire world. So my feeling is you dont have to explain yourself to Ashley or Hisense in any way, the example and proof is all over the internet. The question now becomes is will Hisense do anything about it. I'm not convinced of that, considering this subject has been explained and covered in this forum for quite awhile, and all of the sudden Ashley is saying this is the first she's heard of it. As far as I'm concerned , hisense should be refunding anyone who is requesting a refund.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd double check with them on this. I have heard that the issue is the TCON board. Me personally, and I have seen others on this thread say, have gotten TCON, Mainboard and LVDS replaced. I think the later is the general generic fix for any image issues. Only difference would be if we are getting the "fixed" boards, which Hisense as of today has not shared any way to identify them. Did your local support confirm that the U8QF is a rebadge H9G like the Q9G? Thanks for the info!
I did not ask about the identity of the models, I think that they will never directly confirm that the models are identical, because this is contrary to the policy of positioning Heisens in different markets. The only thing they confirmed was that there was a problem with the "red ghost" on the models for Europe and the USA. Thanks to your photos, I did a little Google investigation and found out that:
T-Con Board 65T55 C0K CTRL is sold as a replacement for models such as H9F (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hisense-T-Con-Board-65T55-C0K-CTRL-for-TV-55H9F-65H9F- / 383328320149),
and also for the European model Q8600 (T-Con Board 65T55 C0K CTRL for TV Hisense 55Q8600UWG: продажа, цена в Киеве. запчасти для телевизоров и мониторов от "МАКСик Сервис" - 1261246310). Interestingly, the 2019 and 2020 models for different markets use the same T-Con boards. :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,220
No problem. I know it is hard to keep up with all the posts. What makes this thread great so far is we have a lot of passionate and interested posters. I will be bowing out as soon as I can get my issues resolved, but would have much preferred a fix. For the long time posters here and Ashley know that I have been very patient and always tried to help reproduce the red ghosting issue. I'm burnt out and disappointed.

I just read and responded to Ashley's post and I am not reading her post the way you or other posters are. She is trying to reproduce the issue on her end and she is asking for help because I believe she either doesn't have the right equipment or her eyes are not yet sensitive to the effect.

Sorry to repeat myself again, but you need to clear on your rights (and responsibilities) as an owner. You have the right in the US to return your TV to the retailer based on their return policy. You have a right to 1 year warranty in the US, which includes the need to call in a ticket, document the issue to the MFG's content and under go a certain number of repair attempts before they will be forced to replace or refund your purchase (read your warranty and state consumer protection laws). The is no obligation or right that say posting on a public forum will help or that the manufacturer has to even respond. What Ashley / Hisense does is different and why I still support Hisense's intent of becoming a serious player.

As I've said many times. Documentation is key and keeping an eye on return deadlines is key. Hope you had read my posts from today which explains why I disagree with your conclusion.

3201 - 3220 of 3577 Posts