AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 998 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
So right now I'm leaning towards keeping the OLED, my main concern now ( especially if previous owners from last years panels can chime in ) is Burn in, since I play MMO's for a goood 4-8 hours at times ( i'll swap between 2-3 games depending on events ) how bad is my risk of this ( they all have static UI's )

Playing in PC mode under Vivid ( turned color down since it was to high but now matches the q90t I have after proper calibration ) mainly because I love the peak brightness which brings it pretty close to where I wanna be at visually, however if Game mode IS a requirement, and the service menu can't rectify the gamut issue ( unless I need to set a specific setting in the NCP for this ) then that would be a deal breaker I guess.

I like that there's no visible overdrive on this panel when in VRR, but main concern is mainly the burn in at this point, since if my usage scenario is not healthy for it then I'll take it back for the meantime as its definitely made steps forward since the first time I saw it in action.

Also for the burn in, IF its an issue, how apparent would it be while other games were loaded? Or only visible when viewing solid colors that allow it to be visible?

·
Registered
8 Posts
For CX owners or anyone with experience in the subject, I have a question regarding motion pro for console gaming. I'm back and forth between off and auto. I'm not sure if the darker image and increase input lag is worth it. FlatpanelsHD said the input lag increases to like 23 ms when using motion pro

What do you guys recommend? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Thank you

·
Registered
585 Posts
For CX owners or anyone with experience in the subject, I have a question regarding motion pro for console gaming. I'm back and forth between off and auto. I'm not sure if the darker image and increase input lag is worth it. FlatpanelsHD said the input lag increases to like 23 ms when using motion pro

What do you guys recommend? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Thank you
I don't think the bfi is worth it on my sources(OSSC, MiSTer) . I haven't tried it out with 120hz as that would be my pc and I value gsync over bfi anyhow.

I retested the bfi lag and with my time slueth at 1080p/60hz it's normally 13 ms(off). 21 with medium bfi, 29 on high bfi. Not worth it in my opinion, might be different for others.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Just to confirm: we still can't get true 444 full chroma on the X series without labeling the input "pc"? And labeling the input "pc" still has color banding issue?
Just the icon needs to be PC. You can change the text to anything you want after changing the icon.

Changing the label to PC while leaving the icon on something else will not turn on PC mode.
Yeah what I meant was changing the input icon to PC. That allows 444 but then color banding is worse. So it's still an issue in the X series?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah what I meant was changing the input icon to PC. That allows 444 but then color banding is worse. So it's still an issue in the X series?
I haven't experienced any color banding, but is there a method I can run to attempt to make it apparent? Currently in PC mode.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Was in the same boat as you about to take mine back cuz of the color but been messing w/ it for a bit now that I found PC mode.

For mine it does the same, not sure if you're supposed to activate WCG in windows display settings or not, or swap down to 420 12bit ( when it becomes possible)

Currently for PC mode ( just finished calibration ) in vivid mode, and my god am I loving it so far, its neck and neck color wise (about a 2-3% diff at most ) w/ my Q90T, initially was gonna take teh CX back but now I'm seriously considering keeping this and taking the other back.

I'll cycle through for you though, but vivid @ WC35 for me looks amazing ( post calibration ) 2.2 gamut.

**edit**

Just checked it again, for game mode

Set OLED/Contrast to 100 (unless ur into/used to the dim look ) then go to white settings - > Color temp warm 1 or 2 ( 1 if you want perfect whites, 2 for ur eyes and a bit more flush on color )
Set color to 60-66 (optional but doesn't hurt ur eyes at this lvl )

Adjust brightness as needed though won't be AS poppy as vivid, will still be pretty close.

----

Now unless the game mode preset is required for latency ( along w/ VRR ) then I'm pretty happy at my custom setup w/ vivid, and at that point the only thing the q90t has over it is brighter areas in high color scenes, which for the trade off in deep blacks especially w/ wallpaper etc, is pretty easy.

Only concern now is burn in since I play mostly MMO's on this thing, so hopefully its as most state and I shoudl be fine since I turn the TV off when I go to bed.
Yes, that is the problem. On the C9, you needed "Game Mode" to get the proper/low input lag. I don't see why the CX would be any different. This meant that in order to get the low input lag, you had to use crappy "Game" Picture Mode that wrecked the colors of the image. Using a high speed camera, all picture presets (such as vivid etc) increase the input lag over Game Picture mode.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, that is the problem. On the C9, you needed "Game Mode" to get the proper/low input lag. I don't see why the CX would be any different. This meant that in order to get the low input lag, you had to use crappy "Game" Picture Mode that wrecked the colors of the image. Using a high speed camera, all picture presets (such as vivid etc) increase the input lag over Game Picture mode.
I'll have to run some tests to see what I'm getting then cuz its buttery smooth for the games I'm playing and highly responsive so far, , gonna check the service menu for any additional options that might help or if its just set there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! About Peak Brightness Nits in Game Mode LG Oled

Hi! Im a PC gamer user and i had several pc monitor and Samsung TV. i play in 4K and love High brightness TV and i have a high bright room.

I have a specific question. i tested several samsung qmed tv in the past, i read several review on rtings and just read reviews at flatpanelhd..

They said the LG CX has a peak brightness of 212 nits in Game Mode in SDR mode, just click the right section for max brightness in nits with each tv modes. For C9 its 205 nits.

To me 212 nits maximum brightness is completely unacceptable in gane mode in SDR Mode. Is it a way with the LG game mode settings to at least increase the brightness nits in game mode to at least 300 nits, i would prefer 350 nits.

My 2 samsung qled tv have at least 400 nits in game mode in SDR. and it just correct for me. Even at 350 nits its a little too dark to me.

Thanks for answer. i dont want to buy a LG Oled TV and have to return it because of the brightness in SDR game mode. i need at least 300 nits in game mode.

Thanks for help and answers its really appreciated. ( im sorry my english is not perfect.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
These are the out of the box measurements..

Nowhere is the claim to be found that the maximum brightness in game mode is limited to 212 nits..

But because of your demand for brightness and gaming, you should stick to LCD technology..

·
Registered
5 Posts
These are the out of the box measurements..

Nowhere is the claim to be found that the maximum brightness in game mode is limited to 212 nits..

But because of your demand for brightness and gaming, you should stick to LCD technology..
Thanks so much for answer. i just checked again it was 221nits not 212 nits.. Anyway, i hesitate to change for oled because of gsync compatible and less motion blur. But do you think 300-350nits is possible in Game mode (or PC mode) with general content ??
To be honest i would prefer 350 nits by experience..
thanks for answer.

If it was not for gsync compatible and pixel response time , i think i would not buy a oled. i tried the Asus PQ438q and hate it because it has a LOT of motion blur.
My samsung 55" JS8500 has a very fast response time, no motion blur or smearing, high brightness, but no gsync compatible :( I have a samsung ku6300 43" but no gsync and a lot of motion blur.

You see i want a tv/monitor with gsync compatible, good brightness , and low motion blur.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Stick with Qled

·
Registered
242 Posts
I play at 11 brightness as peak for the Zowie monitor and 54 brightness on the C9.

My C9 is calibrated for colour accuracy which is around 100 nits which is equivalent to 24 on the C9 at the time of calibration. For accuracy sake, I try to lower the brightness for SDR. As that is what I try to achieve when using a TV for watching video and games as the producers and developers intended.

But if you love vivid, bright contrasty and inaccurate colours that do not represent anything close to what you see in real life such as with a simple test of you recording your own video of your home and play that video back on the TV and seeing the huge disparity in brightness and colours of your home and colours of things that you see in real life of your home, then by all means, get a QLED.

Take note of the horror you will get when you see a huge blob of glow in the blacks of a dark scene of a game you are playing when you enable Game Mode on the QLED. Enjoy!

But... if you still want an OLED, here is how you can solve the 220+ peak brightness in SDR for games limitation. Enable HDR in Windows 10. In the current Windows 10 update, they have finally allowed SDR content to look vivid as opposed to looking washed out though colours may look a little off. But with this, your SDR games will be a LOT brighter especially when you enable Dynamic Tone Mapping in HDR Game Mode which spreads the colour and brightness volume from 200 to 700 nits and make full use of the TV's contrast instead of following the game's default tone mapping. Enjoy the 700 nits of peak brightness on an SDR game with this.

Take note, in SDR, the C9 and CX has a Peak Brightness setting, which adjusts how the ABL performs. Setting this to 'Off' results in most scenes being displayed at around 303 cd/m² for the C9 while in SDR too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks so much for answer. i just checked again it was 221nits not 212 nits.. Anyway, i hesitate to change for oled because of gsync compatible and less motion blur. But do you think 300-350nits is possible in Game mode (or PC mode) with general content ??

To be honest i would prefer 350 nits by experience..

thanks for answer.

If it was not for gsync compatible and pixel response time , i think i would not buy a oled. i tried the Asus PQ438q and hate it because it has a LOT of motion blur.

My samsung 55" JS8500 has a very fast response time, no motion blur or smearing, high brightness, but no gsync compatible :( I have a samsung ku6300 43" but no gsync and a lot of motion blur.

You see i want a tv/monitor with gsync compatible, good brightness , and low motion blur.
The LG oleds are the only gsync tvs as of now. I used to own a Samsung qled(55q8fn) and my LG 55cx utterly destroys it when it comes to gaming.

Granted I don't play in a bright room but the cx seems plenty bright for me while maintaining blacks. The qled blacks couldn't compete.

Reactions: Redmist

·
Registered
57 Posts
so let met get this straight nvidia cards don't currently support 10-bit RGB 4:4:4 output over HDMI?

So nvidia is going to have to make sure to support this on the 3080 Ti, otherwise 4k 120 HDR 10-bit RGB 4:4:4 won't be a thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks guys for answer. Maybe i will try a LG Oled to see if i prefer it over Qled. Thanks a lot! But i think if the picture with general content is below 300nits i will not keep it. And yes i prefer punchy colors and not realist ones in games, im this kind of person. i mostly play rpg, racing and platform games

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't think the bfi is worth it on my sources(OSSC, MiSTer) . I haven't tried it out with 120hz as that would be my pc and I value gsync over bfi anyhow.

I retested the bfi lag and with my time slueth at 1080p/60hz it's normally 13 ms(off). 21 with medium bfi, 29 on high bfi. Not worth it in my opinion, might be different for others.

hey mate i watched your youtube vid on motion. great video! do you ever use motion pro for movies? how do you find it?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hi! Im a PC gamer user and i had several pc monitor and Samsung TV. i play in 4K and love High brightness TV and i have a high bright room.

I have a specific question. i tested several samsung qmed tv in the past, i read several review on rtings and just read reviews at flatpanelhd..

They said the LG CX has a peak brightness of 212 nits in Game Mode in SDR mode, just click the right section for max brightness in nits with each tv modes. For C9 its 205 nits.

To me 212 nits maximum brightness is completely unacceptable in gane mode in SDR Mode. Is it a way with the LG game mode settings to at least increase the brightness nits in game mode to at least 300 nits, i would prefer 350 nits.

My 2 samsung qled tv have at least 400 nits in game mode in SDR. and it just correct for me. Even at 350 nits its a little too dark to me.

Thanks for answer. i dont want to buy a LG Oled TV and have to return it because of the brightness in SDR game mode. i need at least 300 nits in game mode.

Thanks for help and answers its really appreciated. ( im sorry my english is not perfect.

Ya, OLED is not a bright room display. It's a controlled lighting/dark room display.

I play at 11 brightness as peak for the Zowie monitor and 54 brightness on the C9.

My C9 is calibrated for colour accuracy which is around 100 nits which is equivalent to 24 on the C9 at the time of calibration. For accuracy sake, I try to lower the brightness for SDR. As that is what I try to achieve when using a TV for watching video and games as the producers and developers intended.

But if you love vivid, bright contrasty and inaccurate colours that do not represent anything close to what you see in real life such as with a simple test of you recording your own video of your home and play that video back on the TV and seeing the huge disparity in brightness and colours of your home and colours of things that you see in real life of your home, then by all means, get a QLED.

Take note of the horror you will get when you see a huge blob of glow in the blacks of a dark scene of a game you are playing when you enable Game Mode on the QLED. Enjoy!

But... if you still want an OLED, here is how you can solve the 220+ peak brightness in SDR for games limitation. Enable HDR in Windows 10. In the current Windows 10 update, they have finally allowed SDR content to look vivid as opposed to looking washed out though colours may look a little off. But with this, your SDR games will be a LOT brighter especially when you enable Dynamic Tone Mapping in HDR Game Mode which spreads the colour and brightness volume from 200 to 700 nits and make full use of the TV's contrast instead of following the game's default tone mapping. Enjoy the 700 nits of peak brightness on an SDR game with this.

Take note, in SDR, the C9 and CX has a Peak Brightness setting, which adjusts how the ABL performs. Setting this to 'Off' results in most scenes being displayed at around 303 cd/m² for the C9 while in SDR too.

How are you doing that? When I set Windows 10 to HDR and play a SDR game, the OLED gets kicked out of HDR mode. I haven't found a way to force Windows 10 HDR on no matter what (SDR games).

·
Registered
95 Posts
You did it incorrectly.

Allow me to quote my previous post, this time calling special attention to particular points:

Now technically having 4:2:0 checked might prevent you from getting the full-fat 4:4:4 on a future GPU, but upgrading to a different GPU wipes out custom resolution stuff anyway. And IIRC if you were to connect via DisplayPort (via a theoretical DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 active adapter) any custom resolutions created on the HDMI 2.0 port will not be listed anyway and may require creating a new custom resolution and stuff (which theoretically could be created through the AMD or Nvidia control panel anyway, at least for DisplayPort).

So the new CX let you do 4k @120hz with 4:2:0 sub sampling? I need someone to confirm this before I go out and get a CX. Currently I have a 55" E9 and I can't do 4k @ 120hz with 4:2:0

261 - 280 of 998 Posts