AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 11118 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
So the new CX let you do 4k @120hz with 4:2:0 sub sampling? I need someone to confirm this before I go out and get a CX. Currently I have a 55" E9 and I can't do 4k @ 120hz with 4:2:0
I got a 65" CX yesterday from Best Buy, one of the first things I tried was 4k 120hz, and it works for me with my Alienware 51M 2070 with hdmi output. Its not as good looking with text to my eyes in windows but it works if your GPU supports it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
So the new CX let you do 4k 120hz with 4:2:0 sub sampling? I need someone to confirm this before I go out and get a CX. Currently I have a 55" E9 and I can't do 4k @ 120hz with 4:2:0
I got a 65" CX yesterday from Best Buy, one of the first things I tried was 4k 120hz, and it works for me with my Alienware 51M 2070 with hdmi output. Its not as good looking with text to my eyes in windows but it works if your GPU supports it.
Set ClearType to greyscale or disable font antialiasing altogether and that should help text clarity at 4:2:0.

Assuming that you're using Windows, the easiest way I found to do this is via the tiny portable program "Better ClearType Tuner":

Info: https://github.com/bp2008/BetterClearTypeTuner
Download: https://github.com/bp2008/BetterClearTypeTuner/releases

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi! Im a PC gamer user and i had several pc monitor and Samsung TV. i play in 4K and love High brightness TV and i have a high bright room.

I have a specific question. i tested several samsung qmed tv in the past, i read several review on rtings and just read reviews at flatpanelhd..

They said the LG CX has a peak brightness of 212 nits in Game Mode in SDR mode, just click the right section for max brightness in nits with each tv modes. For C9 its 205 nits.

To me 212 nits maximum brightness is completely unacceptable in gane mode in SDR Mode. Is it a way with the LG game mode settings to at least increase the brightness nits in game mode to at least 300 nits, i would prefer 350 nits.

My 2 samsung qled tv have at least 400 nits in game mode in SDR. and it just correct for me. Even at 350 nits its a little too dark to me.

Thanks for answer. i dont want to buy a LG Oled TV and have to return it because of the brightness in SDR game mode. i need at least 300 nits in game mode.

Thanks for help and answers its really appreciated. ( im sorry my english is not perfect.
You can get higher, but at the possible risks I'm unsure if its a valid method of pursuing, I've asked a few times but haven't gotten a response back here as of yet. I'm coming from a line of QLED's myself but this year wanted to give both a shot.
I'm the type that likes bright poppy colors and rich darks in games vs the washed out "natural way it was meant to look" that some swear by, granted that's up to the game designer how they want the game to look, and user pref after on best way to bring that out, so regardless if someone tells you its inaccurate, that's their personal preference..and you're rarely going to see a dev or game company that states "this is how you're intended to play it" unless maybe that company is apple or something, whatever looks best to you is what you should go for, not what someone tells you is "correct" or "is the standard for" that's the beauty of diversity, some people can't stand color, others love it, diff worlds diff interests, diff play/view styles, a lot of games are created in the concept that most will have a standard gamut monitor within 72% or so, having a display that can display higher is just a bonus and gives you an overall richer experience, so by all means enjoy whichever that pleases you.

The Peak brightness definitely can hit higher than what you're showing, but only if you set OLED and Contrast to 100, I've particularly found in the Vivid setting ( after reducing color from 75 to 60 ) setting contrast + OLED to 100 I can get near brightness for most areas in games compared to my Q90T, granted the q90t is definitely brighter, the difference isn't as apparent, and acceptable as a normal monitor and def brighter than my other monitors ( QNIX 27" and Samsung 32" monitors ) the scenes are rich and beautiful, HOWEVER given that you apparently need to be in gaming mode which has a static setting for gamut type, it will appear a bit more washed out, almost as if you were in HDR mode in windows where it washes out the colors on your desktop.

This can be alleviated a bit to get within 20-25% of the way vivid looks by boosting color, contrast, oled, and some white point balancing, but won't get as rich ( if that's your thing ) so for me (and I say this personally ) that was 1 con,

The next was the concern of keeping it at max brightness would lower the lifetime on the cells, (or w/e they're called) I did fall in love w/ how rich and well it took care of colors, scenes and overall areas.

I had the q90t and LG CX ( both 65" ) hooked up and mirrored (via OBS full render fullscreen to mirror 1 display ) on the other, that way both calibrations affected the proper TV's, Color wise I got the LG within a few % of the QLED which at that point you're only going to notice it if you really look at them side by side, turn one off and you wouldn't know any better.

Lighting, now the QLED can get brighter in some aspects, depending on the games, and I play a LOT of SDR ones since they're mostly MMO's ( PSO2, FFXIV, AK) + Online stuff like PUBG, Fortnite(friends dragging me in to play) and others, there is a sort of contrast diff in some areas that I notice the Samsung hits better on, but the OLED makes up for it in darks for others, so at that point it comes down to whether you're more into the rich darks, or like the overall pop to your image when it counts for areas where you can really illuminate things, without losing the colors either.

At that point if LG did not have the concern of burn in ( since my games all have static UI's and no transparency option ( for some ) I'd have packed the q90t back up, but given the concerns for burn in at high brightness ( granted it has safety measures in place such as dimming when no movement/action is detected + the lack of information since the panel is new and only older information from users with older TV's on reddit, its not worth the risk currently imo.

Overall its a gorgeous TV, and will probably end up rebuying it later this year when it goes on sale as an additional monitor for work/netflix.

If your store allows for returns, its worth taking a look at, and will definitely give you an idea on the diff between both types, which I feel makes the decision a bit easier(or harder depending ) as well as less regret once you return one.

Thanks so much for answer. i just checked again it was 221nits not 212 nits.. Anyway, i hesitate to change for oled because of gsync compatible and less motion blur. But do you think 300-350nits is possible in Game mode (or PC mode) with general content ??
To be honest i would prefer 350 nits by experience..
thanks for answer.

If it was not for gsync compatible and pixel response time , i think i would not buy a oled. i tried the Asus PQ438q and hate it because it has a LOT of motion blur.
My samsung 55" JS8500 has a very fast response time, no motion blur or smearing, high brightness, but no gsync compatible :( I have a samsung ku6300 43" but no gsync and a lot of motion blur.

You see i want a tv/monitor with gsync compatible, good brightness , and low motion blur.
The Samsung Q90T is also Gsync Comptaible, and shows up just fine, the only current issue they have with it at this time is the overdrive is visible in certain games / scene types due to the heavy sharpening, this was apparent in previous gens which was fixed via firmware, so can only hope they fix it again this time, for now I just play in game mode which is under 10ms + game motion+ w/ settings at 0 to prevent the additional processing, and get a clear crystal game play w/o tearing, since I can only max out at 60fps atm anyways till hdmi2.1 hits ( so long as the 3000 series adds a port, or the Display port converter to hdmi 2.1 releases next month ( or this ). So keep that part in mind.

But... if you still want an OLED, here is how you can solve the 220+ peak brightness in SDR for games limitation. Enable HDR in Windows 10. In the current Windows 10 update, they have finally allowed SDR content to look vivid as opposed to looking washed out though colours may look a little off. But with this, your SDR games will be a LOT brighter especially when you enable Dynamic Tone Mapping in HDR Game Mode which spreads the colour and brightness volume from 200 to 700 nits and make full use of the TV's contrast instead of following the game's default tone mapping. Enjoy the 700 nits of peak brightness on an SDR game with this.

Take note, in SDR, the C9 and CX has a Peak Brightness setting, which adjusts how the ABL performs. Setting this to 'Off' results in most scenes being displayed at around 303 cd/m² for the C9 while in SDR too.
Still shows washed out, tested it on both, VERY washed out, and as you stated, this was meant only for HDR style games so you gotta swap back and forth if you're doing SDR.

The LG oleds are the only gsync tvs as of now. I used to own a Samsung qled(55q8fn) and my LG 55cx utterly destroys it when it comes to gaming.

Granted I don't play in a bright room but the cx seems plenty bright for me while maintaining blacks. The qled blacks couldn't compete.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The Samsungs are as Gsync comptaible as well, w/ the only downside of the ovverdrive atm, as for the blacks, you can definitely notice it in some areas, such as wallpapers, or scenes, but when u look away for a bit and back it just falls in with picture, at that point ( on the new line, I didn't test the 2019 one ) Works great otherwise when on.
But the FALD is pretty good on it at least since I can can adjust black levels/brightness far more and maintain that rich line unlike I could before w/ the 2018, but to your comment since you you don't play in a bright room, I'd def suggest the OLED as well, I'm not sure how they deal w/ reflections at that level either since I kept the lights off in my room since it was bright enough for the qled but could def see it on the TV ( still had the film on though )

Ya, OLED is not a bright room display. It's a controlled lighting/dark room display.

How are you doing that? When I set Windows 10 to HDR and play a SDR game, the OLED gets kicked out of HDR mode. I haven't found a way to force Windows 10 HDR on no matter what (SDR games).
It will only work if the game has the HDR option mode, the application has to support it ( DX features)

·
Registered
610 Posts
You can get higher, but at the possible risks I'm unsure if its a valid method of pursuing, I've asked a few times but haven't gotten a response back here as of yet. I'm coming from a line of QLED's myself but this year wanted to give both a shot.

I'm the type that likes bright poppy colors and rich darks in games vs the washed out "natural way it was meant to look" that some swear by, granted that's up to the game designer how they want the game to look, and user pref after on best way to bring that out, so regardless if someone tells you its inaccurate, that's their personal preference..and you're rarely going to see a dev or game company that states "this is how you're intended to play it" unless maybe that company is apple or something, whatever looks best to you is what you should go for, not what someone tells you is "correct" or "is the standard for" that's the beauty of diversity, some people can't stand color, others love it, diff worlds diff interests, diff play/view styles, a lot of games are created in the concept that most will have a standard gamut monitor within 72% or so, having a display that can display higher is just a bonus and gives you an overall richer experience, so by all means enjoy whichever that pleases you.

The Peak brightness definitely can hit higher than what you're showing, but only if you set OLED and Contrast to 100, I've particularly found in the Vivid setting ( after reducing color from 75 to 60 ) setting contrast + OLED to 100 I can get near brightness for most areas in games compared to my Q90T, granted the q90t is definitely brighter, the difference isn't as apparent, and acceptable as a normal monitor and def brighter than my other monitors ( QNIX 27" and Samsung 32" monitors ) the scenes are rich and beautiful, HOWEVER given that you apparently need to be in gaming mode which has a static setting for gamut type, it will appear a bit more washed out, almost as if you were in HDR mode in windows where it washes out the colors on your desktop.

This can be alleviated a bit to get within 20-25% of the way vivid looks by boosting color, contrast, oled, and some white point balancing, but won't get as rich ( if that's your thing ) so for me (and I say this personally ) that was 1 con,

The next was the concern of keeping it at max brightness would lower the lifetime on the cells, (or w/e they're called) I did fall in love w/ how rich and well it took care of colors, scenes and overall areas.

I had the q90t and LG CX ( both 65" ) hooked up and mirrored (via OBS full render fullscreen to mirror 1 display ) on the other, that way both calibrations affected the proper TV's, Color wise I got the LG within a few % of the QLED which at that point you're only going to notice it if you really look at them side by side, turn one off and you wouldn't know any better.

Lighting, now the QLED can get brighter in some aspects, depending on the games, and I play a LOT of SDR ones since they're mostly MMO's ( PSO2, FFXIV, AK) + Online stuff like PUBG, Fortnite(friends dragging me in to play) and others, there is a sort of contrast diff in some areas that I notice the Samsung hits better on, but the OLED makes up for it in darks for others, so at that point it comes down to whether you're more into the rich darks, or like the overall pop to your image when it counts for areas where you can really illuminate things, without losing the colors either.

At that point if LG did not have the concern of burn in ( since my games all have static UI's and no transparency option ( for some ) I'd have packed the q90t back up, but given the concerns for burn in at high brightness ( granted it has safety measures in place such as dimming when no movement/action is detected + the lack of information since the panel is new and only older information from users with older TV's on reddit, its not worth the risk currently imo.

Overall its a gorgeous TV, and will probably end up rebuying it later this year when it goes on sale as an additional monitor for work/netflix.

If your store allows for returns, its worth taking a look at, and will definitely give you an idea on the diff between both types, which I feel makes the decision a bit easier(or harder depending ) as well as less regret once you return one.

The Samsung Q90T is also Gsync Comptaible, and shows up just fine, the only current issue they have with it at this time is the overdrive is visible in certain games / scene types due to the heavy sharpening, this was apparent in previous gens which was fixed via firmware, so can only hope they fix it again this time, for now I just play in game mode which is under 10ms + game motion+ w/ settings at 0 to prevent the additional processing, and get a clear crystal game play w/o tearing, since I can only max out at 60fps atm anyways till hdmi2.1 hits ( so long as the 3000 series adds a port, or the Display port converter to hdmi 2.1 releases next month ( or this ). So keep that part in mind.

Still shows washed out, tested it on both, VERY washed out, and as you stated, this was meant only for HDR style games so you gotta swap back and forth if you're doing SDR.

The Samsungs are as Gsync comptaible as well, w/ the only downside of the ovverdrive atm, as for the blacks, you can definitely notice it in some areas, such as wallpapers, or scenes, but when u look away for a bit and back it just falls in with picture, at that point ( on the new line, I didn't test the 2019 one ) Works great otherwise when on.

But the FALD is pretty good on it at least since I can can adjust black levels/brightness far more and maintain that rich line unlike I could before w/ the 2018, but to your comment since you you don't play in a bright room, I'd def suggest the OLED as well, I'm not sure how they deal w/ reflections at that level either since I kept the lights off in my room since it was bright enough for the qled but could def see it on the TV ( still had the film on though )

It will only work if the game has the HDR option mode, the application has to support it ( DX features)
Samsung with gsyncs? Do you have evidence of that?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Samsung with gsyncs? Do you have evidence of that?

You quoted it actually just make sure your drivers are up to date since they've been updating it every few iterations. Shows up in NCP and can be enabled, Pendulum demo works beautifully with it, just the downside is the overdrive from the panel itself. Not that the picture does much but the pendelum demo is nice, had to swap down to 1440p 120hz to test fully. Was initially on 430.64 and it didn't but updated to 445.87 and shows up fine.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You quoted it actually just make sure your drivers are up to date since they've been updating it every few iterations. Shows up in NCP and can be enabled, Pendulum demo works beautifully with it, just the downside is the overdrive from the panel itself.

Which Samsung set is this? My friend owns a Samsung and it didn't work with his 1080ti. Is it Turing only? Can you do this photo again without a secondary monitor connected and a larger screen shot?

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Which Samsung set is this? My friend owns a Samsung and it didn't work with his 1080ti. Is it Turing only? Can you do this photo again without a secondary monitor connected and a larger screen shot?

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
The q90t

I'm using 2080ti's, and the other monitors don't show the gsync logo on it and I have a total of 5 monitors connected (1 is USB to DP so it doesn't show up in the NCP) , none of which are gsync compatible. It's just the TV, the crop shot was just to show the TV, you can see the "connector type" in the 2nd photo as HDTV

·
Registered
610 Posts
The q90t

I'm using 2080ti's, and the other monitors don't show the gsync logo on it and I have a total of 5 monitors connected (1 is USB to DP so it doesn't show up in the NCP) , none of which are gsync compatible. It's just the TV, the crop shot was just to show the TV, you can see the "connector type" in the 2nd photo as HDTV

Sorry if I'm a bit skeptical here as others have tried and it hasn't worked. I'll see if I can get other sources to confirm. Perhaps make a video? There's already been one guy debunked for a false claim. Perhaps you can set things straight?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry if I'm a bit skeptical here as others have tried and it hasn't worked. I'll see if I can get other sources to confirm. Perhaps make a video? There's already been one guy debunked for a false claim. Perhaps you can set things straight?

Doesn't bother me just sharing, not trying to start anything either, seeing as its not officially on Nvidia's list could mean that it hasn't been certified at least so may or may not work w/ everything, I have mine off due to the fact it disables game motion and I don't like the overdrive samsung has for that which game motion disables. Was definitely a + when I saw it though, hopefully future firmware updates rectify everything else. Also having others or trying to in the q90t owners thread perform the same since I initially thought it wasn't possible either since the option didn't show up till I updated. Will post here upon responses.

Just checked the nvidia site on it, not sure when the list was last updated but will keep watch, seems mostly LG and 1 Sony (Granted they're using an LG panel I believe) so far. The "NO" is for variable overdrive
Code:
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2019 B9, C9, E9	Yes	55	OLED	3840x2160 (UHD)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	HDMI VRR Driver
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2019 B9, C9, E9	Yes	65	OLED	3840x2160 (UHD)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	HDMI VRR Driver
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2019 B9, C9	Yes	77	OLED	3840x2160 (UHD)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	HDMI VRR Driver
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2019 Z9	Yes	88	OLED	7680x4320 (8K)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	TV Firmware Update
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2020 BX, CX, GX	Yes	55	OLED	3840x2160 (UHD)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	445.51 or newer
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2020 BX, CX, GX	Yes	65	OLED	3840x2160 (UHD)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	445.51 or newer
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2020 BX, CX, GX	Yes	77	OLED	3840x2160 (UHD)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	445.51 or newer
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2020 CX	Yes	48	OLED	3840x2160 (UHD)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	445.51 or newer
G-SYNC Compatible	LG	2020 ZX	Yes	77, 88	OLED	7680x4320 (8K)	40-120Hz	No	HDMI	445.51 or newer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! Thanks for so much information guys ! its really appreciated. Yeah i would have to play in game mode i dont like input lag, otherwise i would prefer vivid mode.
I suppose in game mode the brightness wont be at 300-350nits even with everything at 100, washed colors is not good for me, but i can modify digital vibrsnce in nvidia control panel for have more colors pop. Still i would be surprise i prefer a LG Oled over my Samsung Qled display.
Its so bad in gsync with Samsung, maybe except your Samsung q90t. Anyway thanks guys, if someone can measure brightness in game mode with a normal average window content with Oled and contrast at 100, let me know. I hesitate to buy the LG CX 48", but probably i will have to return it because of brightness. By the way i was so disappointed of the Asus Pg438q, so much motion blur, its unbelieveble !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow! Thanks for so much information guys ! its really appreciated. Yeah i would have to play in game mode i dont like input lag, otherwise i would prefer vivid mode.
I suppose in game mode the brightness wont be at 300-350nits even with everything at 100, washed colors is not good for me, but i can modify digital vibrsnce in nvidia control panel for have more colors pop. Still i would be surprise i prefer a LG Oled over my Samsung Qled display.
Its so bad in gsync with Samsung, maybe except your Samsung q90t. Anyway thanks guys, if someone can measure brightness in game mode with a normal average window content with Oled and contrast at 100, let me know. I hesitate to buy the LG CX 48", but probably i will have to return it because of brightness. By the way i was so disappointed of the Asus Pg438q, so much motion blur, its unbelieveble !
The problem w/ the way NCP does it vs the color setting on the TV is like 6-10% in you start to see bleeding before you even get to the color levels which isn't as good as just bumping color on the TV a bit, not sure how exactly Nvidia goes about that but it can definitely give your eyes a headache, I wish it was that simple though, because I do love this TV.

That's NOT to say a firmware update won't come out to fix that, OR even if theres a service menu option that might give access to what the default is as well ( I haven't had luck getting in to check, though I do know ABL is an option u can turn off in there ) as for the qled, which one did you have again currently? or were just on the fence for both?

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I'm currenttly testing a 65CX and I'm having a weird issue with both my PS4 Pro + Apple TV 4K.

Using both of these devices, there's about 2cm of black not being filled on the left side of the screen but it fills all the way the right side. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of but can't get these 2cm to fill.

You can see with the below image as the TV UI goes right to the edge.

https://imgur.com/a/fRX4NZc

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
So what is the deal with this Assassin's Creed 30Fps and need for LFC? I'm very confused.
This is only if the game is uncapped or is unable to even hold 30fps.

Otherwise 30fps is an exact multiple of both 60Hz and 120Hz and does not even require VRR in order to be judder free (assuming it doesn't have bad frame-pacing of course) which is how existing 30fps console games handle it.

And remember, AMD's LFC implementation is handled on the GPU side of things and merely requires a VRR range where the maximum refresh is more than 2x that of the minimum refresh - the display will not know the difference between true native 54fps and 27fps LFC'd to 54Hz.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The problem w/ the way NCP does it vs the color setting on the TV is like 6-10% in you start to see bleeding before you even get to the color levels which isn't as good as just bumping color on the TV a bit, not sure how exactly Nvidia goes about that but it can definitely give your eyes a headache, I wish it was that simple though, because I do love this TV.

That's NOT to say a firmware update won't come out to fix that, OR even if theres a service menu option that might give access to what the default is as well ( I haven't had luck getting in to check, though I do know ABL is an option u can turn off in there ) as for the qled, which one did you have again currently? or were just on the fence for both?
Agreed; using NVIDIA control panel to over-saturate colors doesn't actually make the colors better. Only using "wide" color gamut on the TV can do that. Could anyone test in "PC Input" - "Game" picture mode, is the extended/wide color slider grayed out like it is on the C9? I had to get rid of my C9 because it was locked in "extended" color and looked all washed out. I wasn't going to compromise on the input lag to switch to the other picture mode presets.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
So if you are at 25 it will LFC to 50 and then VRR will smooth it out?
Yup. On something like the C9 with freesync force-enabled via CRU on a PC AMD GPU, when your framerate goes 25fps, 26fps, 27fps, 28fps in real-time, the AMD GPU is actually sending 50Hz, 52Hz, 54Hz, 56Hz, etc.

During LFC, each frame displayed for two refreshes in a manner similar to how current and older-generation consoles display 30fps games when outputting at 60Hz.

bad frame-pacing? What is that?
For a quick run-down, take a look at the first 2 minutes of the following recent video from Digital Foundry regarding a game that's kind of the poster child for bad frame-pacing in this current generation:

·
Registered
192 Posts

Agreed; using NVIDIA control panel to over-saturate colors doesn't actually make the colors better. Only using "wide" color gamut on the TV can do that. Could anyone test in "PC Input" - "Game" picture mode, is the extended/wide color slider grayed out like it is on the C9? I had to get rid of my C9 because it was locked in "extended" color and looked all washed out. I wasn't going to compromise on the input lag to switch to the other picture mode presets.

I thought I answered earlier, apolgies if I missed it, but yes its grayed out u gotta push everything to get it close but still not as great as vivid, I still havent found how to access the service menu so will be taking mine back in the meantime. Hopefully a firmware update releases to fix this for others (at least giving them the option)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ratings review of the q80t says it doesn't support Gsync. They are usually pretty thorough. I still haven't found anything concrete(need video evidence) that Samsung has gsync support in their latest tvs.

281 - 300 of 11118 Posts