AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3436 of 3436 Posts

·
Registered
7,366 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had two separate issues with G-Sync on the LG 48CX model (not related to the previous firmware bug)

1) Brightness flickering. NVIDIA originally stated years ago this was an issue and limitation with G-Sync on LCD panels due to how LCDs operated. Well...These are not LCDs and thus are not limited by those issues. Still seems to persist
is the easiest way to show the flicker. Happens in all games pretty randomly.

2) White noise/static. Not HDMI cable related. Used several HDMI 2.1 cables without issues.
View attachment 3050891

Both of these issues seem to happen in any game. I have had it happen in Warzone, even. It's very bizarre.

i9 9900k w/ RTX 3090 tried with both 32GB and 128GB of RAM, specs are not the issue here.

Turning off G-Sync eliminates the problems completely.
Finally, someone mentioning those vertical lines popping up. The only way I could get rid of them WHILE G-sync on is being in PC MODE. Just to sum up

PC MODE + G SYNC + HDR, Full RGB 10 bits, 120hz, (AMD Sync off) = No vertical lines , No black screen flickering in Pundulum, Stutters very noticeable above 90fps.

NON PC MODE + G SYNC + HDR, FULL RGB 10 bits, 120hz, (AMD Sync off) = Vertical Lines in g sync range, black screen flickering in pundulum, Stutters very noticeable above 90fps.

There is absolutely no way to get rid of stutters unless you go with 4.2.0 , 8 bits but then HDR is disabled, any other combination, PC Mode or not, will result in stutters in G sync. I have tested this for hours and found no solution but wait for a fix in the LG firmware.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been using this most of this year and it's been great. I went a step further though and setup Playnite on my PC which allows you to launch all of your games from one spot regardless of what store you own them on and added a few lines of PowerShell script to automatically activate HDR for a game that needs it and then turn HDR off when you exit that game. Has been a godsend for HDR PC gaming especially since I play from a couch with a controller a lot of times.

Reactions: Prototime

·
Registered
57 Posts
Finally, someone mentioning those vertical lines popping up. The only way I could get rid of them WHILE G-sync on is being in PC MODE. Just to sum up

PC MODE + G SYNC + HDR, Full RGB 10 bits, 120hz, (AMD Sync off) = No vertical lines , No black screen flickering in Pundulum, Stutters very noticeable above 90fps.

NON PC MODE + G SYNC + HDR, FULL RGB 10 bits, 120hz, (AMD Sync off) = Vertical Lines in g sync range, black screen flickering in pundulum, Stutters very noticeable above 90fps.

There is absolutely no way to get rid of stutters unless you go with 4.2.0 , 8 bits but then HDR is disabled, any other combination, PC Mode or not, will result in stutters in G sync. I have tested this for hours and found no solution but wait for a fix in the LG firmware.
What are these stutters people are talking about? I still haven't noticed them. Funny you mention PC mode. I have changed the name of input 1 several times to PC, saved it, and then it seems a few days later the setting name is wiped.

·
Registered
57 Posts
To enable the PC mode for an HDMI input press the input button on your remote and click Home Dashboard. Then navigate to the top of that screen and press the settings icon (gear icon) then select edit. Select the HDMI input you want to change and scroll down the list until you see PC. Save your settings and you are done.
You are literally the first person I've ever see say this. EVERYWHERE else says to RENAME it to "PC" I didn't even realize you could change the type of input associated until you said this. I notice a large difference immediately. Something new to play with now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What are these stutters people are talking about? I still haven't noticed them. Funny you mention PC mode. I have changed the name of input 1 several times to PC, saved it, and then it seems a few days later the setting name is wiped.
Stutters happen if you do the combination as I described and cap a game to 117fps to force g sync. You will notice a stutter, the camera moving is not smooth... just compare it to 60hz at 60 fps and you'll see that 60hz is smoother.
The reason I believe your PC input name gets reset is due to a disconnect of the cable from the TV... try it , unplug HDMI and plug it back and you have to do PC input again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Stutters happen if you do the combination as I described and cap a game to 117fps to force g sync. You will notice a stutter, the camera moving is not smooth... just compare it to 60hz at 60 fps and you'll see that 60hz is smoother.
The reason I believe your PC input name gets reset is due to a disconnect of the cable from the TV... try it , unplug HDMI and plug it back and you have to do PC input again.
Yea apparently the name doesn't even matter, until I read that other user's post I was under the impression the name had to be PC. It turns out you have to change the input type which is right next to it :D

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Yea apparently the name doesn't even matter, until I read that other user's post I was under the impression the name had to be PC. It turns out you have to change the input type which is right next to it :D
I think people got it confused since changing the type changes the name automatically as far as I remember. But the name isn't what matters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been using this most of this year and it's been great. I went a step further though and setup Playnite on my PC which allows you to launch all of your games from one spot regardless of what store you own them on and added a few lines of PowerShell script to automatically activate HDR for a game that needs it and then turn HDR off when you exit that game. Has been a godsend for HDR PC gaming especially since I play from a couch with a controller a lot of times.
Would you be open to sharing your PowerShell script? I'm planning to game on my CX mostly the same way as you (couch with controller), and I'd LOVE for games to automatically turn HDR on/off as needed. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
This isn't an issue on monitors at least i've never seen it mentioned, doing a google search on it and its entirely LG OLED posts regarding the problem. LG does know about it but say a fix will take more time. I have a native gsync monitor and don't have these problems at all, i also make it a point to have a locked fps in any game especially competitive titles so i adjust settings to make sure of that. Doing the same on the LG OLED and then calibrating for it can be a band aid fix in the meantime.
If you watch HDTVTest's most recent video, Vincent Teoh shows that the VRR gamma shift also occurs on the Samsung Q90T and is even worse than the LG CX.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Would you be open to sharing your PowerShell script? I'm planning to game mostly the same way as you (couch with controller), and I'd LOVE for games to automatically turn HDR on/off as needed. :)
I will when I get home. Basically the way it works is Playnite allows you to add PS scripts that you want to run when a particular game launches and then also scripts you’d want to run upon exiting a game. It’s just one line to toggle on HDR and one line to have it turn off after exiting a game. It’s probably a bit more complicated if you aren’t using something like Playnite, but when I get home tonight I’ll post the couple of lines I use and you can implement as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Prototime

·
Registered
832 Posts
Darn, both BB and Newegg are out of stock on the 48". Called BB corporate to find out if any units were on order but they could not see. I do not want to buy from Costco, because Allstate warranty does not cover burn in...I will have to wait till next year I guess. No way am I going to put a 55" on my desk. I will get torticollis. Unless....I buy a 55" and use a windowed smaller mode every time? Your thoughts? Or should I be patient...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Watching Vincent video, I'm a bit sad to realize that the near black gamma shift is inherent to VRR technology.
I'll point out here that I did say as much earlier in this thread (refer specifically to Mark's quote). Hoping LG can still mitigate it, but VRR flicker may never be fully eliminated in all instances (it isn't even possible with hardware G-SYNC, after all).

This isn't an issue on monitors at least i've never seen it mentioned, doing a google search on it and its entirely LG OLED posts regarding the problem.
VRR flicker is not exclusive to TVs. A number of FreeSync and G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync monitors have it as well. Severity, and what range flicker occurs in can depend on the given panel type, supported VRR range, and sometimes even driver implementation, though.

I have a native gsync monitor and don't have these problems at all
Native G-SYNC has a hardware module, and the panels equipped with it are put through more rigorous testing as to avoid some of these issues (even though G-SYNC can still flicker at very low refresh rates due to physical panel limitations, be it via module or software).

Many have complained of the G-SYNC module "premium" since its release, and have criticized Nvidia for not supporting G-SYNC through software at the get go, claiming the hardware module was not needed and was only there to inflate the prices, but it can indeed make a difference with these more minute issues when compared to software-only implementations.

Reactions: notarjy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

I just received my 55 inch CX recently and I'm really enjoying it. I've been Googling around and trying to find the optimal settings for my consoles and wasn't quite positive still until I came across this website.

I was wondering if anyone has any optimal / ideal settings for the PS4 and Switch that they could share?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3421 - 3436 of 3436 Posts