AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 986 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
It's possible that Nvidia's implementation of HDMI Forum VRR includes an LFC implementation that works similarly to AMD's (that is, is GPU-based).
I also tried FreeSync with my AMD notebook (using the simple one-step EDID mod for the C9) and that seemed to behave exactly the same as G-Sync (in all regards).
I think LFC (without having a name) has been part of G-Sync from the very beginning. If you look back at FreeSync's history, LFC was implemented in AMD drivers after nVidia criticized AMD about how G-Sync (the first, dual-link DVI-D, 1ms polling based, not VESA compatible version) was superior in this regard (although nVidia never openly discussed any details about what their G-Sync modules and/or GPUs/drivers are doing with low framerates but they thought they handled it well). So I don't see a reason why G-Sync Compatible (even for DP monitors with no modules) wouldn't have this feature (where appropriate and the supported range can reasonably accommodate it but 40-120 can easily take anything between 1-39 with an integer multiplier).

Reactions: chros73

·
Registered
804 Posts
I changed it to PC mode and nothing really changed for me....
Look more closely :) Once you start to see the diff you can't unsee it :)

And what are the downsides to using 'PC' mode ? (Aka using the PC icon) for an input.
Banding / posterization (not just) with HDR10 content on 2018/2019 models. That's why we are interested in CX models.
Please take a look at the links in this post if you want tot test it (you can find every samples there that was used).

·
Registered
143 Posts
And it's confirmed that the vrr near black bug is still present on the CX. An owner posted a video about it:

https://youtu.be/FC3pSYgswc4

You can see the gamma is screwed up with vrr enabled and the picture is noticeably less contrasty. The good news is flatpanelshd managed to contact lg and let them know about the issue. Hopefully a fix will come soon.
Seems like on the X1X it's way more obvious.
I can't see any differences with Gsync while playing with my PC on my C9, it's the same for some other C9 users:

GSYNC ON: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/attachments/1-hdr-gsync-jpg.506574/
GSYNC OFF: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/attachments/2-hdr-ohne-gsync-jpg.506575/

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
And it's confirmed that the vrr near black bug is still present on the CX. An owner posted a video about it:

https://youtu.be/FC3pSYgswc4

You can see the gamma is screwed up with vrr enabled and the picture is noticeably less contrasty. The good news is flatpanelshd managed to contact lg and let them know about the issue. Hopefully a fix will come soon.
I can't see any differences with Gsync while playing with my PC on my C9, it's the same for some other C9 users:

GSYNC ON: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/attachments/1-hdr-gsync-jpg.506574/
GSYNC OFF: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/attachments/2-hdr-ohne-gsync-jpg.506575/
It's obvious on mine. Of course it depends on the scene. Dark scenes with shades of grey will be more noticeable. Just follow the steps in my video at the first post of this thread and you will see how vrr screws up the gamma.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
I changed it to PC mode and nothing really changed for me....
Look more closely /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif Once you start to see the diff you can't unsee it /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

And what are the downsides to using 'PC' mode ? (Aka using the PC icon) for an input.
Banding / posterization (not just) with HDR10 content on 2018/2019 models. That's why we are interested in CX models.
Please take a look at the links in this post if you want tot test it (you can find every samples there that was used).
I think it will be the same situation on the CX. This issue with pc mode has been there since the c6 and LG doesn't bat an eye.

·
Registered
611 Posts
For PS4 and nintendo switch, I had rgb set to limited on my Q8FN...is limited also the same setting for the CX?

And for gamma, is 2.2 or 2.4 the right setting in games? I have 2.4 for movies and tv (mostly used at night in a dark room)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #348

Let's try to make sure it isn't a bug.

I was finishing off Modern Warfare 2 Remastered. I tried using my Overclocked 66Hz settings at 4K in the Nvidia Control Panel. I noticed I was suffering from Black Crush.

Turns out, my display settings in Nvidia defaulted back to RGB 8-bit at Full 'Output Dynamic Range'. This was the culprit as with it set to Full instead of Limited, it means my GPU assumes that my TV is displaying at 0-255 as opposed to RGB 16-235. This is easily solved by changing 'Output Dynamic Range' to Limited.
Or in my case for the C9, once I set the output to 60Hz at 4K, I can use 4:2:2 12-bit with Limited as well to get HDR functionality again while in ALLM with VRR.

Another option you guys can do is actually go into your C9/CX Picture Mode Settings (Game Mode) -> Picture Options -> Black Level -> High.(as a fix for now) This will balance out the black crush by telling the TV that you are outputting at RGB 0-255 or Full Output Dynamic Range in other words.

But best is still to change your output device like your Nvidia GPU to Limited and Black Level low on the C9 or CX.
And similarly on the X1X or the PS4 Pro to RGB Limited and again, Black Level low on the C9 or CX as the TVs are usually within that 16-235 RGB range.
I advise you go read carefully about this vrr issue again. It was mentioned in great details in the very first post of this thread. Got nothing to do with black level mismatch. And I think most users on this forum are, at this point, informed well enough to never by mistake mismatch their black levels, so most of the time no need to recommend this kind of basic fix.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It's obvious on mine. Of course it depends on the scene. Dark scenes with shades of grey will be more noticeable. Just follow the steps in my video at the first post of this thread and you will see how vrr screws up the gamma.
Another example is mk11 loading screen when its showing the wb logo and the fighter logo they both are transitioning black screens supposedly. With vrr not enabled on the x1x at default 50 brightness its gray and 1 click to 49 makes it black well with vrr enabled u have to turn the brightness down even further to get a full black screen so yes vrr on the x1x is messing with the black levels

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Probably a silly question, but does instant game response do anything if the console/PC cant use VRR/Gsync?

I have it turned on for my PS4 Pro but I know the ps4 doesn't support VRR, and my PC can't do gsync because I have a 1080ti.

Just wondering if I am gaining or losing anything by having it on regardless. Wasn't sure if the setting was specific to gsync/vrr or not or if it further reduced input lag without them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Probably a silly question, but does instant game response do anything if the console/PC cant use VRR/Gsync?

I have it turned on for my PS4 Pro but I know the ps4 doesn't support VRR, and my PC can't do gsync because I have a 1080ti.

Just wondering if I am gaining or losing anything by having it on regardless. Wasn't sure if the setting was specific to gsync/vrr or not or if it further reduced input lag without them.
Even when you enable Instant Game Response in tv setting, if the system doesn't support vrr, the tv will never go into instant game response mode (evident by the logo popping up at the top right corner), so no different vs off.

Reactions: LiLAsN and tw1st

·
Registered
156 Posts
Even when you enable Instant Game Response in tv setting, if the system doesn't support vrr, the tv will never go into instant game response mode (evident by the logo popping up at the top right corner), so no different vs off.

Ahh I did not know that since I have never seen it come up, thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think it will be the same situation on the CX. This issue with pc mode has been there since the c6 and LG doesn't bat an eye.
Thanks, we know this, but there were rumors that LG changed something in the pipeline with CX.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Thanks, we know this, but there were rumors that LG changed something in the pipeline with CX.
That's good. Otherwise, we will never be able to use full chroma in contents without compromising other part of pq.

Reactions: chros73

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hopefully the gamut issue (since it sets auto ) gets addressed as well, allowing it to detect correctly vs washed out for SDR. Vivid mode's my only option to get normal colors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the big red flags for me from the rtings review is that [email protected] has higher input lag than 1080p/[email protected] Hopefully this is just from the chroma subsampling and 4k120 4:4:4 will be unaffected. The other one is that the 50% BFI insertion at 120Hz isn't timed well and is causing motion blur. None of the prior issues have bothered me, but these two might make me reconsider my purchase

·
Registered
43 Posts
the big red flags for me from the rtings review is that [email protected] has higher input lag than 1080p/[email protected] Hopefully this is just from the chroma subsampling and 4k120 4:4:4 will be unaffected. The other one is that the 50% BFI insertion at 120Hz isn't timed well and is causing motion blur. None of the prior issues have bothered me, but these two might make me reconsider my purchase

can confirm the 4k 120hz input lag is absolutely brutal unplayable

341 - 360 of 986 Posts