AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 983 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
For now and until the next consoles and video cards come out, what cables are recommended for the CX/C9 to use for gaming? Ill be hooking the CX to a Sony DH790 receiver.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
For now and until the next consoles and video cards come out, what cables are recommended for the CX/C9 to use for gaming? Ill be hooking the CX to a Sony DH790 receiver.

I use monoprice hdmi cables if that's what u are referring to

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just purchased a few cables that "supposedly" go a little beyond 22gpbs. Hopefully they'll suffice until I purchase the 40-48 gbps when the next generation of gaming comes out in a few months. With the lower bandwidth cables, can the CX still do VRR. I have a PS4 Pro and 2070 Super?

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
I just purchased a few cables that "supposedly" go a little beyond 22gpbs. Hopefully they'll suffice until I purchase the 40-48 gbps when the next generation of gaming comes out in a few months. With the lower bandwidth cables, can the CX still do VRR. I have a PS4 Pro and 2070 Super?

You got a 2070 you should be able to verify that yourself but yes it doesn’t need 48Gbps for VRR. It doesn’t even need 40gbps for VRR. The only concern for 40gbps and up is for [email protected]

·
Registered
202 Posts
You got a 2070 you should be able to verify that yourself but yes it doesn’t need 48Gbps for VRR. It doesn’t even need 40gbps for VRR. The only concern for 40gbps and up is for [email protected]
Thanks. The only concern I have is that everything will be going through my AVR. Not sure it supports VRR and ALLM. It should being it does [email protected]

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Thanks. The only concern I have is that everything will be going through my AVR. Not sure it supports VRR and ALLM. It should being it does [email protected]

Now that’s where the issue comes in because none of the receivers I know support those features until Denon release their 2.1 Recievers next month around the 15 and Yamaha release this year as well. Now if you have EARC on your current reciever you should still be good because you can just plug your device into the tv and by EARC send sound to the receiver.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You are correct. No receiver right now supports 2.1. The new Denons will, which are coming out real soon. But I'm thinking if what you said is true, that you only need 2.1 for [email protected], which let's be honest not even the Xbox Series X and PS5 will support, at least right away. The most powerful Nvidia and AMD cards could when they come out. But if VRR and ALLM work with hdmi 2.0, my Sony DH790 receiver should be able to support them. It does also have earc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
is freesync going to be supported on the cx? I'm reading and seeing different things, it supports it, it doesn't support it, it doesn't support it yet. If I eventually build a pc I don't wanna HAVE to go nvidia I might wanna go the cheaper route. is freesync supposed to only be available with later models or will I get it with what I am getting? I already ordered the tv. I am not an extremely competitive gamer but I don't want screen tearing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think you have it reversed. The older models were locked to Wide in Game mode. Wide exposes the uncalibrated native gamut of the panel and should only be used in a colour managed workflow, typically in a professional setting. Extended slightly expands on the Auto gamut (almost always BT.709 for SDR) to increase saturation, so it's not totally "uncalibrated". In HDR mode it's always BT.2020 in Auto and any other setting is wrong.

Videos of the CX show that you can change the setting to Auto in Game mode, giving you accurate BT.709 colours in SDR. HDR was always accurate.

Hmm was this fixed then, when I was using PC mode couldn't set gamut it was stuck on a washed down mode, and when confirmed w/ other users ended up taking it back for that reason since vivid/bright room (outside of it ) was the only way to get wide gamut on for w/e reason cuz gamut was grayed out in PC / game. If that legit works i'd consider taking the risk of burn in since I game for long periods w/ static UI's lol

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think you have it reversed. The older models were locked to Wide in Game mode. Wide exposes the uncalibrated native gamut of the panel and should only be used in a colour managed workflow, typically in a professional setting. Extended slightly expands on the Auto gamut (almost always BT.709 for SDR) to increase saturation, so it's not totally "uncalibrated". In HDR mode it's always BT.2020 in Auto and any other setting is wrong.

Videos of the CX show that you can change the setting to Auto in Game mode, giving you accurate BT.709 colours in SDR. HDR was always accurate.
No the C9 game mode in PC input was definitely locked to "Extended". That is why it looked so lifeless. "Wide" gamut is what you want for gaming (provided much more color volume), which wasn't an option for C9 game mode PC input.

·
Registered
289 Posts
is freesync going to be supported on the cx? I'm reading and seeing different things, it supports it, it doesn't support it, it doesn't support it yet. If I eventually build a pc I don't wanna HAVE to go nvidia I might wanna go the cheaper route. is freesync supposed to only be available with later models or will I get it with what I am getting? I already ordered the tv. I am not an extremely competitive gamer but I don't want screen tearing.
Not out of the box but an update is planned to allow freesync on all CX's.

·
Registered
188 Posts
No the C9 game mode in PC input was definitely locked to "Extended". That is why it looked so lifeless. "Wide" gamut is what you want for gaming (provided much more color volume), which wasn't an option for C9 game mode PC input.
This, was the same on the 65" CX I had a few weeks ago, which was the ultimate reason I had to return it, did LG ever address this or is this a perm thing as well?

·
Registered
193 Posts
So if you want to play in PC input/game mode you are locked to a pale color gamut? Are there any other low input lag modes to get around this with full color? Does his affect HDR games too?

Also, if you enable VRR you are going to suffer the bypass of the near black flashing fix and get grey blacks on high contrast edges? (and also possibly some weird gradients on edges?)

Very interested in these answers. It seems like people in various threads are so excited about the availability of these oleds that these concerns are getting swept under the carpet.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Can you freely choose outside of PC Mode (but still Game Mode?)
Gamut was locked to Wide in my C6, but on the C6 this resulted in an oversaturated image.
I thought LG implemented the option to choose color gamut in game mode with the 8 Series...
So is gamut locked in PC Mode only or generally in Game Mode?

·
Registered
718 Posts
This, was the same on the 65" CX I had a few weeks ago, which was the ultimate reason I had to return it, did LG ever address this or is this a perm thing as well?
Wait, are you serious? I thought someone posted that with using PC Input and Game picture mode that you COULD select "Wide" gamut??? This is very important, as any other Input/Picture mode increases input lag. And being locked to "Extended" color gamut looks like ass. Could someone post a freaking picture of the options menu while in PC INPUT and GAME PICTURE MODE PLEASE.

Is color gamut LOCKED to Extended, or is "WIDE" select-able???

If PC INPUT - GAME picture mode is locked to "Extended" color gamut like on the C9, I may cancel my 48CX order. One reason why I got rid of my C9, in PC INPPUT - GAME picture mode, it looked worse than my freaking LG 38GL950G IPS monitor.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wait, are you serious? I thought someone posted that with using PC Input and Game picture mode that you COULD select "Wide" gamut??? This is very important, as any other Input/Picture mode increases input lag. And being locked to "Extended" color gamut looks like ass. Could someone post a freaking picture of the options menu while in PC INPUT and GAME PICTURE MODE PLEASE.

Is color gamut LOCKED to Extended, or is "WIDE" select-able???

If PC INPUT - GAME picture mode is locked to "Extended" color gamut like on the C9, I may cancel my 48CX order. One reason why I got rid of my C9, in PC INPPUT - GAME picture mode, it looked worse than my freaking LG 38GL950G IPS monitor.
Technically anything other than "Auto" is wrong - it chooses between BT.709 / BT.2020 for SDR / HDR.
"Extended" evenly oversaturates BT.709 in SDR, but it's still based on the correct BT.709 colour space for SDR.
"Wide" is completely uncalibrated and exposes the native gamut of the panel - it should not be used outside of a fully colour managed workflow. Without calibration, colours will shift towards different colours altogether and not just become oversaturated.

"Extended" is what you want for more saturated colours in SDR, and you can tweak the colour settings from there. The CX allows full calibration in Game mode.
Someone else can confirm whether "Wide" is available, but you should be able to achieve the same effect by tweaking the colour settings in "Auto" or "Extended".

·
Registered
718 Posts
Technically anything other than "Auto" is wrong - it chooses between BT.709 / BT.2020 for SDR / HDR.
"Extended" evenly oversaturates BT.709 in SDR, but it's still based on the correct BT.709 colour space for SDR.
"Wide" is completely uncalibrated and exposes the native gamut of the panel - it should not be used outside of a fully colour managed workflow. Without calibration, colours will shift towards different colours altogether and not just become oversaturated.

"Extended" is what you want for more saturated colours in SDR, and you can tweak the colour settings from there. The CX allows full calibration in Game mode.
Someone else can confirm whether "Wide" is available, but you should be able to achieve the same effect by tweaking the colour settings in "Auto" or "Extended".
Not how it worked on the C9. Game mode with PC input looked terrible, dull and lifeless no matter what settings you changed. Why I am asking if they fixed it on the CX.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Now that’s where the issue comes in because none of the receivers I know support those features until Denon release their 2.1 Recievers next month around the 15 and Yamaha release this year as well. Now if you have EARC on your current reciever you should still be good because you can just plug your device into the tv and by EARC send sound to the receiver.
Yes one of the eARC configurations is passing the hdmi audio through the TV and then back out of the eARC hdmi port to the surround system. This allows you to use all of the hdmi ports on the TV for switching devices instead of going through your receiver. Passing video and audio through a receiver first can also add lag (even ruining lip-sync) and otherwise change a pure signal so eARC out from the TV is really the best way to do it imo.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-54nx2IhTbaH/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdmi-arc-and-earc.html

That means you can use a receiver that has hdmi 2.1 features for receiving a eARC audio passthrough IN even though the receiver doesn't have the bandwidth or capability to accept 4k 120hz 444, HDR video signals and pass them OUT. (So you could probably save some money vs. buying a 4k 120hz video pass-through receiver).

I'd definitely make sure that any DENON models are fully working by checking reviews of people that own one and are using off of a modern C9, E9, CX, LG OLED before I'd buy one though since DENON had issues with LG OLEDs.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Yes one of the eARC configurations is passing the hdmi audio through the TV and then back out of the eARC hdmi port to the surround system. This allows you to use all of the hdmi ports on the TV for switching devices instead of going through your receiver. Passing video and audio through a receiver first can also add lag (even ruining lip-sync) and otherwise change a pure signal so eARC out from the TV is really the best way to do it imo.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-54nx2IhTbaH/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdmi-arc-and-earc.html

That means you can use a receiver that has hdmi 2.1 features for receiving a eARC audio passthrough IN even though the receiver doesn't have the bandwidth or capability to accept 4k 120hz 444, HDR video+audio signals and pass them OUT.

I'd definitely make sure that any DENON models are fully working by checking reviews of people that own one and are using off of a modern C9, E9, CX, LG OLED before I'd buy one though since DENON had issues with LG OLEDs.
Agreed why I am waiting on Yamaha and reviews to see what’s what.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not how it worked on the C9. Game mode with PC input looked terrible, dull and lifeless no matter what settings you changed. Why I am asking if they fixed it on the CX.

I'm still concerned about reports of:

- dull , lifeless color in game mode on PC input (for low input lag, processing).

- the near black flashing fix being bypassed with VRR active ever since the inclusion of VRR on the LG OLEDs sept-oct. 2019
... causing grey-black areas on high contrast edges, in some cases even showing as weird gradients

... that happening instead of per pixel sbs contrast and ultra black depths that OLED should be capable of in games.

601 - 620 of 983 Posts