AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 983 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
If I dont care about 4:4:4 and PC Mode, are gamut / color ok in Game Mode OUTSIDE of PC Mode? Can it be chosen freely? It was locked to wide in SDR on the C6. Very annoying.

I don't really see a difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 from my viewing distance in games. In text, yes, but I dont plan on using my TV as a giant eBook reader.
From my testing on the C9 (don't have my 48CX yet), Game picture mode outside of PC Input, such as Console Input, the colors/gamut are proper and gamut can be chosen. It's ONLY a PC Input/Game picture mode problem... but unfortunately that is the input/picture mode combination that is best for PC gaming. 4:4:4 chroma+lowest input lag+allowing BFI.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Dynamic Tone Mapping is artificial. I use HGIG for every game.

Switch between DTM off and HGiG. You will notice specular highlights are brighter, and color saturation is increased at the top end.

Dynamic Tone Mapping is like turning on Vivid mode. It's inaccurate.
Yeah, I agree. I was using DTM because it was brighter (maybe because I was coming from a QLED and it seemed more apples to apples to me) but when I stopped in game and toggled between dtm and hgig, you can immediately see the detail you are losing in textures with DTM. I use HGIG for everything now, regardless of if the game supports it or not. If you are on a PS4, remember to redo the hdr calibration whenever you switch. Id rather have the PS4 tonemap than the TV.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What are the best settings to play games on PC? I am struggling with what they should be. I'm messing around with the color space in the NCP. Right now, I'm using 4.2.2 12 bit @ 4K60. I can't use 4.44 10 [email protected] Also, for whatever reason, there is no resolution option for 1440p under HDTV settings, only in PC. I'm not sure which to use, HGIG or Tone Mapping. The former is dimmer for sure. I have Gsync enabled and vsync on in NCP. I'm using game mode user and labeled input on hdmi 3 to PC. There are just so many settings at play here. I just would like to have an idea for optimal gaming. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Even if its the correct setting the fact its completely washing out the gamut to a VERY dull look vs normal tv look is the issue that's being discussed here that many have run into. It's one thing for it to Auto (with it actually enabling wide ) but the problem is that the Auto is selecting the WRONG gamut type, so its not "to each their own" that's a bit messed up , kinda the equivalent to telling someone that has a bug to just accept it as is vs try to do something about it.

And no , reshade won't make it pop, it literally takes "Natural" saturation and HALVES it for Gaming, its VERY dull. This CLEARLY is a bug in the firmware.

Haven't tested HDR but despite selecting limited or Full it definitely defaults to the WRONG "auto" selected which is clearly a bug in the firmware, and hopefully something they fix, and agreed, like the person quoted above you people often seem to just get angry at others claiming they should just "accept it or gtfo" which doesn't help anyone.
This thing really gets you triggered, doesn't it? I was only saying that, as has been pointed out before, Auto is supposed to switch to the "correct" color gamut depending on source content. Now, it's one thing if this doesn't work as intended (which is a bug by definition) and another if people have their own perception of what is "correct" (which is called subjective preference).

I'm confident that if there is a bug which is seriously impacting PQ by applying the "wrong" color gamut and you've reported it to LG (which I must guess you have considering it's such a big deal for you), they will have it on their list of things to fix.

Now, what I can totally agree on is LG should be unlocking the gamut setting for PC input / Game mode so everyone may choose what they prefer.

And btw. Reshade is a post-processing tool that works with profiles tweaking various things, and not something that always affects saturation in the same way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Virtually is not the same... I tested higher input lag with my high speed camera on the C9 with every other picture preset outside of Game mode. I don't want to sacrifice the stellar low input lag just to get non-washed out colors.

And for those of us that want to use BFI, Game Mode is required.
When have you tested this? If you look at the review of Rtings they mention that the input lag is improved with newer firmwares.

And BFI works in all picture modes, no game mode required. I play all SDR games with BFI activated.

·
Registered
718 Posts
When have you tested this? If you look at the review of Rtings they mention that the input lag is improved with newer firmwares.

And BFI works in all picture modes, no game mode required. I play all SDR games with BFI activated.
120 Hz BFI only works properly in game mode. 60 Hz BFI has terrible flicker and hence irrelevant to speak about.

RTINGS: Update 05/26/2020: 120Hz BFI only works properly in Game mode. Since BFI isn't available when G-SYNC is enabled, to display a 4k @ 120Hz signal with BFI, you have to disable VRR from the source and manually enter Game Mode. In any other picture mode, 4k @ 120Hz signals skip frames, causing duplications when BFI is enabled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Posting this here. I posted on another thread, so sorry if cross-posting is frowned upon, but thought others might benefit.

Have the 77" CX and got it last Thursday. Sending it back soon. Most of the reason I picked this set had to do with the ability to work well with the new consoles PS5 and XBox Series X. (As well as amazing picture, etc.) As everyone here is probably aware, there aren't many receivers with 2.1 output at this point. I think Denon and maybe a few others. So I was waiting until there are 2.1 receivers to get a new receiver and routing everything through TV and letting eARC handle the audio out. The eARC is going to my Marantz 7010. Unfortunately, while using Bitstream, which is necessary for Atmos, there is over a full second of audio lag. There are no setting changes that seem to fix it, and LG has no idea what is happening. A local tech said he thinks the bandwidth is just flooding my receiver at this point. Even in PCM the audio is probably a quarter second delayed.

So while I think the TV looks good, I'm just going with the 85" Samsung (Q90t) at this point. If I have to route everything back through my receiver anyways to get rid of lag, might as well get a bigger TV with a very comparable picture at roughly the same price. The Samsung only has one 2.1 HDMI input, but again, since I have to run everything through my receiver anyways, that's no big deal. And while I was happy about GSYNC for my media room PC, I can't get atmos out of it because NVDIA doesn't support ATMOS at this time. So I still have to run PC through receiver to get anything other than stereo so the GSYNC signal doesn't matter.

Anyways, I realize some people prefer the OLED vs. QLED. I have an OLED downstairs. For me, they are very close, and so I thought I would post here to "warn" people about possible issues of hoping multiple 2.1 inputs were a selling point. Maybe they will be, but I don't think they are right now. YMMV.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I’ll be picking up my 48” CX tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: stl8k

·
Registered
188 Posts
This thing really gets you triggered, doesn't it? .

All you did was basically agree on what I wrote though from the looks, other than being bothered by the fact I quoted you for w/e reason, if you're the sensitive type I'll just respond openly and hope that you don't feel like ur the only one being targeted then, that way you won't have to use needless words that show off your anger I guess. We're here to share findings/ settings and issues, not bash others for pointing something out we were unaware of, I hope you can learn to cope w/ that.

And btw. Reshade is a post-processing tool that works with profiles tweaking various things, and not something that always affects saturation in the same way.
As for reshade, I'm glad you were able to figure that part out, there's more to know about it as well if you check out their website as it contains a comprehensive guide that covers many filters and settings to assist you with your Profiles. Though sadly as a forewarning pushing saturation on reshade is not the same as it is w/ color levels on a TV so you'll most likely end up w/ a bleeding photo instead, but its pretty diverse here so not going to judge on what others like, just sticking to issues we've seen, which back to the main one at hand its locked and picking the wrong side, which makes it significantly worse than any other mode on the TV.

I'm curious if there's a means to unlock it in the service menu though.

From my testing on the C9 (don't have my 48CX yet), Game picture mode outside of PC Input, such as Console Input, the colors/gamut are proper and gamut can be chosen. It's ONLY a PC Input/Game picture mode problem... but unfortunately that is the input/picture mode combination that is best for PC gaming. 4:4:4 chroma+lowest input lag+allowing BFI.

Likewise noticed the same, when testing w/ both PC and console, and seen so on Reddit and a few other areas of mention. Though given how some were mentioning this was an issue in previous models, I wonder if LG will actually do something this year about given the hype they've given w/ Gsync and all. If they at least fix that part ( or if there's a hidden service menu option for it to reenable it like how samsung has the custom option you can enable ) then I'd be hyped to exchange my 90T back and give this a shot.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I was using DTM because it was brighter (maybe because I was coming from a QLED and it seemed more apples to apples to me) but when I stopped in game and toggled between dtm and hgig, you can immediately see the detail you are losing in textures with DTM. I use HGIG for everything now, regardless of if the game supports it or not. If you are on a PS4, remember to redo the hdr calibration whenever you switch. Id rather have the PS4 tonemap than the TV.
Hi

I originally had DTM off for everything, tried a bit of RDR2 on my xbox x and it seemed very dim, turned DTM on and it looked much brighter, then thought I would try the in game HDR calibration but it seems broken.

I will try your suggestion of HGIG for all games, personally though between HGIG and off I have not noticed any difference in the games I have played.

·
Registered
124 Posts
All you did was basically agree on what I wrote though from the looks, other than being bothered by the fact I quoted you for w/e reason, if you're the sensitive type I'll just respond openly and hope that you don't feel like ur the only one being targeted then, that way you won't have to use needless words that show off your anger I guess. We're here to share findings/ settings and issues, not bash others for pointing something out we were unaware of, I hope you can learn to cope w/ that.
You quoted me then put words in my mouth I didn't say nor think. Rather than calling me angry for reacting to that, can you please simply use some forum etiquette and not do that anymore? 'preciated.

BTT: If you fancy a particular color gamut, picture modes other than Game allow for that and should, at least under PC input and leaving TV processing options off, have the same low input lag and no other downsides. Give that a go.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=CVExACPZFoU&feature=emb_title

Vincent's CX game settings video. Been posted before, I know, but from min 13:10 you can get a brief assessment about what color gamut should be set to if you prefer an "accurate" picture.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Vincent posted game picture mode settings under Console input. Irrelevant for PC gamer's. Game mode for console input and pc input have totally different options available. Not running 4:4:4 when it's available is silly and also useless on the desktop/text.

And no, once again; picture modes outside of game mode increase input lag. You shouldn't have to increase input lag to get non-terrible colors. LG needs to get their head out of their asses and stop messing up PC input, Game picture mode.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Vincent posted game picture mode settings under Console input. Irrelevant for PC gamer's. Game mode for console input and pc input have totally different options available. Not running 4:4:4 when it's available is silly and also useless on the desktop/text.
What he said about color gamut settings certainly applies to both Console and PC input.

And no, once again; picture modes outside of game mode increase input lag.
Source? I'm talking about PC input here. EDIT: Not saying you're wrong, but I think I've seen statements to the contrary on these forums.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Which is best to play PC games? Is it game console or PC mode? I changed the input that my computer is connected to game console. Just not sure if that's optimal for pc gaming.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Posting this here. I posted on another thread, so sorry if cross-posting is frowned upon, but thought others might benefit.

Have the 77" CX and got it last Thursday. Sending it back soon. Most of the reason I picked this set had to do with the ability to work well with the new consoles PS5 and XBox Series X. (As well as amazing picture, etc.) As everyone here is probably aware, there aren't many receivers with 2.1 output at this point. I think Denon and maybe a few others. So I was waiting until there are 2.1 receivers to get a new receiver and routing everything through TV and letting eARC handle the audio out. The eARC is going to my Marantz 7010. Unfortunately, while using Bitstream, which is necessary for Atmos, there is over a full second of audio lag. There are no setting changes that seem to fix it, and LG has no idea what is happening. A local tech said he thinks the bandwidth is just flooding my receiver at this point. Even in PCM the audio is probably a quarter second delayed.

So while I think the TV looks good, I'm just going with the 85" Samsung (Q90t) at this point. If I have to route everything back through my receiver anyways to get rid of lag, might as well get a bigger TV with a very comparable picture at roughly the same price. The Samsung only has one 2.1 HDMI input, but again, since I have to run everything through my receiver anyways, that's no big deal. And while I was happy about GSYNC for my media room PC, I can't get atmos out of it because NVDIA doesn't support ATMOS at this time. So I still have to run PC through receiver to get anything other than stereo so the GSYNC signal doesn't matter.

Anyways, I realize some people prefer the OLED vs. QLED. I have an OLED downstairs. For me, they are very close, and so I thought I would post here to "warn" people about possible issues of hoping multiple 2.1 inputs were a selling point. Maybe they will be, but I don't think they are right now. YMMV.
Does the Marantz actually support eARC? Original reviews suggests not but they could have done a release but if their HDMI chipset isnt configurable maybe not. Its discontinued so I suspect no further updates.

How good is the Marantz 4K passthrough? Check it out while you have the CX.

Read all the way through the Q90T thread. Sounds like a great TV albeit some issues with ghosting and gaming. I’d probably ignore the 90R comparison posts to speed the reading up.

Bigger is probably the best reason anyway :).

As for 1 HDMI 2.1 port that will be a bummer for people who are looking at geting both consoles or PC/console combo. As for compatibility we have no idea either because the consoles are not released yet. My number rule when buying any consumer appliance is buying it for what it does today. Your PC can be upgraded to a newer card so you have a choice if stuff doesnt work. Suspect VRR and the nice gaming 2.1 features dont work through the Marantz anyway. Can you check that whilst you have the CX.

So I’m not saying dont change what I saying is do your homework. Think through the things that bug you and will it go away with the next set. Packing up TVs is non trivial task as far Im concerned. Had to do it once because it was DOA and Samsung in my country (Australia) was a pain to deal with. They sent a “tech” out after 2 weeks just to prove it wouldnt power on. Again I dont know what hapens in your neck of the woods but check with LG on what they expect you to do to send it back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont mean to offend, but to me it looks like the SR7010 is not capable of eARC.
No offense at all. I believe this to be the issue. It doesn't change the problem, however. I literally can't get a 2.1 HDMI receiver right now. I could probably get another receiver with eARC, but not HDMI 2.1. So if there is a thing say in two years, that requires HDMI 2.1, I'd be completely screwed by buying a new receiver that doesn't support it. But, I've certainly thought about it vs returning the TV.

641 - 660 of 983 Posts