AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 960 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes. No VRR available with that adapter.

Seems like this is the first iteration and they're planning to release a updated model that does support VRR in the future. By then though HDMI 2.1 capable GPU's will be available.

Right now these TV's can only do 4K/120hz/4:2:0 + VRR but no HDR (not enough bandwidth).

For many, sacrificing VRR may be worth 4K/120hz/4:4:4 + HDR support.

I have one of these ordered and I completely forgot they didn’t support VRR. Now I’m actually wondering if I should cancel it. My reason to get one was to be able to game over 60 fps at 4K and be able to use HDR in games that support it. Even with my 2080 Ti I’m not going to be able to hold a solid 120 fps unless I turn down some settings. As someone who has never done a lot of above 60 fps gaming, how bad is screen tearing at say 90 fps without VRR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I sent my CX 48" back after a few days of owning it. The glare and reflections coming from the super glossy screen ruined immersion for me while gaming. This was a huge deal breaker. Even with blackout curtains shut, the screen still managed to reflect me and the furniture in my room like mirror.

Anti-glare screen + Mini LED panels are gonna be the way forward i think.
The mini LED won't necessarily solve the glare - it really is all about the anti-glare specific screen. Yes, mini LED can get brighter, but in dark scenes when glare is most evident, the miniLED will also be dark, and in the brighter scenes where the miniLED can get brighter than OLED, well the OLED in those scenes will be bright enough to minimize the glare as well. The Samsung anti-glare coating really is impressive and it's too bad they don't just license it to other TV makers.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
For the love of god get that PC off the desk and center the TV. Either put it on the floor or get a side table for it.

This PC case dominating desks trend needs to die.
Originally, I was planning on placing my PC case front and center on the desk because I spent so much money on RGB runs and custom loop water cooling, you know show off my workmanship! But y our suggestion makes so much sense, I'm definitely going to center the 48" LG CX and suspend the PC Case above the TV so that both can now be front and center. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
For the love of god get that PC off the desk and center the TV. Either put it on the floor or get a side table for it.

This PC case dominating desks trend needs to die.

To each their own but I definitely miss the days when I could run 25' hdmi and displayport cables (and usb) from my storage room to my pc desk in order to have no pc case bulk, zero heat and zero noise. No, your fans aren't "silent", if you want to hear silent, try turning your PC off. :rolleyes:

Regarding cable length, VR tethered to a pc is limited too and would also benefit from being able to do very long runs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Is it recommended to use PC mode when gaming on a PC or is game mode all that you need?
In SDR 8-bit RGB, there is no visible difference between PC icon and Game mode.
In HDR 8-bit with dithering RGB / 12-bit RGB / 12-bit YCbCr444, I am able to see some mild colour bleeding around text in Game mode. I've disabled all image processing features. It's no where near as bad as 4:2:2 / 4:2:0 and the 4:4:4 chroma test image is clear, so I'm not sure what it is. With PC icon the image is clear.

·
Registered
594 Posts
For those with a ps4...regardless of if you are using dynamic tone mapping on/off/hgig is the proper way to do the ps4 hdr calibration with DTM off, or in the mode you are using on/off/hgig?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
For those with a ps4...regardless of if you are using dynamic tone mapping on/off/hgig is the proper way to do the ps4 hdr calibration with DTM off, or in the mode you are using on/off/hgig?
I just go to the ps4 calibration menu and set it to whatever im going to use ie hgig and adjust from there and play games lol but if i had wanted to experiment with another setting ie dtm off for example i would go back and adjust the settings in the ps4 calibration menu just as I did with hgig.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just go to the ps4 calibration menu and set it to whatever im going to use ie hgig and adjust from there and play games lol but if i had wanted to experiment with another setting ie dtm off for example i would go back and adjust the settings in the ps4 calibration menu just as I did with hgig.

Got it thanks

Reactions: macmane

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have one of these ordered and I completely forgot they didn’t support VRR. Now I’m actually wondering if I should cancel it. My reason to get one was to be able to game over 60 fps at 4K and be able to use HDR in games that support it. Even with my 2080 Ti I’m not going to be able to hold a solid 120 fps unless I turn down some settings. As someone who has never done a lot of above 60 fps gaming, how bad is screen tearing at say 90 fps without VRR?

It's really user dependent. After getting use to VRR, I find screen tearing even at 120FPS to be terrible. It's not necessarily the physical tear that's bothersome, it's that the tearing causes a huge loss in motion smoothness and it looks choppy compared to VRR or Vsync.

So your only options are enable Vsync or deal with the tearing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
How have you been doing it?

With the tone mapping the way I plan to use it...just wanted to make sure that was correct

Reactions: macmane

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes. No VRR available with that adapter.

Seems like this is the first iteration and they're planning to release a updated model that does support VRR in the future. By then though HDMI 2.1 capable GPU's will be available.

Right now these TV's can only do 4K/120hz/4:2:0 + VRR but no HDR (not enough bandwidth).

For many, sacrificing VRR may be worth 4K/120hz/4:4:4 + HDR support.
Yep i'll be playing Path of Exile in windowed mode on a 120hz desktop, that's enough for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's really user dependent. After getting use to VRR, I find screen tearing even at 120FPS to be terrible. It's not necessarily the physical tear that's bothersome, it's that the tearing causes a huge loss in motion smoothness and it looks choppy compared to VRR or Vsync.

So your only options are enable Vsync or deal with the tearing.

Yeah this makes sense. I can most likely live with Vsync as I did before the CX. I never noticed a huge hit in input lag, although I don’t play any competitive shooters on PC mostly single player stuff for me.

Looks like delivery of my adapter keeps getting bumped up. Should be here on Thursday now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah this makes sense. I can most likely live with Vsync as I did before the CX. I never noticed a huge hit in input lag, although I don’t play any competitive shooters on PC mostly single player stuff for me.

Looks like delivery of my adapter keeps getting bumped up. Should be here on Thursday now.

I'm in the same boat. Have the adapter incoming and am not really a FPS or Multiplayer person. 90% of what I play are indie or single player sight seeing stuff.

The real issue with Vsync is that it's really bad with inconsistent frame rate. I barely achieve 60-90FPS with mixed settings in most triple A titles at 4K as is using a 2080 Ti so Gsync was the saving grace in smoothness.

Well doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Have the adapter incoming and am not really a FPS or Multiplayer person. 90% of what I play are indie or single player sight seeing stuff.

The real issue with Vsync is that it's really bad with inconsistent frame rate. I barely achieve 60-90FPS with mixed settings in most triple A titles at 4K as is using a 2080 Ti so Gsync was the saving grace in smoothness.

Well doesn't hurt to try.

2080 Ti here too. Before getting the CX I had a C8 so I was limited to 60hz which might explain why I didn’t have many issues with VSync since I was able to hold 60 fps or close in almost every game with maxed settings. Haven’t had the experience of wild variance in frame rates especially above 60 fps. I suspect for most games it will be fine as I’ll be able to hit close to 120 fps or at least something that is consistent below that. I’ll be curious to see if there’s anything that I have a bad enough problem with where I find myself going back to HDMI and waiting for the cards with 2.1 to launch. At least this isn’t a terribly expensive investment.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi

I just updated to 3.10.20

When I enable AMD freesync premium, I notice on xbox x video settings that dolby vision is not compatible. Is this normal?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi

I just updated to 3.10.20

When I enable AMD freesync premium, I notice on xbox x video settings that dolby vision is not compatible. Is this normal?
the xbox supports generic hdmi vrr standard and freesync. You should only have to turn on instant game response and it will work.

This freesync update is more for pcs because amd graphic cards at the moment don't support generic hdmi vrr while nvidia does through "gsync compatibility."

·
Registered
200 Posts
What are the best PS4 Pro screen settings? Is automatic best for the CX?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
What are the best PS4 Pro screen settings? Is automatic best for the CX?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I force limited on ps4 and low on the cx to make sure I’m eliminating any handshake issues

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am ready to pull the trigger on a 65" C9 or CX and Denon 4700H. Will hook this up via EARC. I know the C9 supports 48gbps while CX is cap at 40gbps. So the CX cant do 12 bit 4:4:4 120hz where the C9 can. I do plan on hooking up a PCfor gaming and HDR move viewing via Kodi. What is confusing is this. Current gen Nvida cards support 8 or 12 bit but not 10 bit. I assume the next iteration of Nvida cards launch end of year will be HDMI 2.1 and support 10 bit. Does it really matter that the CX cant support the 12bit 4:4:4 120hz? I was told the TV panel itself is only 10bit so how would having 12bit support on the video card and the HDMI port throughput matter if the panel itself only supports 10bit on C9 and Cx?

I need to make a decision and was leaning towards CX as it has better BFI and probably has more room to get better with new firmware updates but gaming on PC and watching HDR 4K movies though KODI via my pc is critical.

741 - 760 of 960 Posts