AVS Forum banner

8041 - 8060 of 9774 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
The problem is that the ABL doesn't work neither with Game picture mode on HDR. I don't see any dimming when I'm on the HDR white calibration's screen. So I guess that my ABL is broken, what other test can I do to see if it works properly?
I tried to ask this again 😅

·
Registered
266 Posts
The 03.21.09 update reduces HDR Game Mode by 100nits, as confirmed now by NxNW, now already the second user to report this:

After updating to 3.21.09, I did a 20 pt grayscale run in both Filmmaker mode HDR and Game mode HDR (with both modes reset to defaults).

Peak white in Filmmaker mode was 636 nits
Peak white in Game mode was 527 nits

Just to remind everyone why this large difference is noteworthy, it's because the two modes measured more or less the same in firmware .25 (and if anything I found Game mode was slightly brighter than Filmmaker in firmware .30)

So yeah, Game mode is measurably different now, and not just your imagination. Not hugely different, but it's noticeable to the eye.
2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk | Page 872 | AVS Forum

Man, LG, get it straight!
Ok, would anyone reach out to Vincent Teoh or John Archer again?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don’t have Twitter but if anyone can liaise with Vincent Teoh, it would be great !
This is very bad news for gamers like me/us :(
I hope my TV won’t update on its own

·
Registered
77CX, Denon 3200, PS5, Switch, Gaming PC, Atmos 5.1.2
70 Posts
Im still on the old FW, I just deactivated the automatic Update, just in case.

Geez, what a mess

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,046

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will try to reach out to them. It's currently near NY Eve though so I won't expect them to respond immediately.
If people are having to use programs to determine this loss of 100 nits and people can't really tell whether it is or isn't, then why get up in arms about it? Unless you really can tell the difference then who cares? Bizarre.

Personally I'm looking forward to 100 nits of less eye strain as find HDR a bit too bright for night time gaming but I bet I wouldn't even notice the difference.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If people are having to use programs to determine this loss of 100 nits and people can't really tell whether it is or isn't, then why get up in arms about it? Unless you really can tell the difference then who cares? Bizarre.

Personally I'm looking forward to 100 nits of less eye strain as find HDR a bit too bright for night time gaming but I bet I wouldn't even notice the difference.
In the original post, NxNW says is noticable to the eye.

He confirmed by measurement what other saw and suspected before.

·
Registered
65" LG CX, Yamaha RXV-677 AV-Receiver, Monitor Audio BX-6, BX-2, BX-C and BX-W10
56 Posts
Is the loss in peak brightness measured on al sizes? I believe the 48" has a slightly lower peak brightness to start with. Presumably because the higher pixel density means they can't cope with as much power in the smaller area.

100 cd/m^2 seems like a lot but perception is logarithmic so it shouldn't be as dramatic as it sounds. That said, it shouldn't be happening and I don't fancy upgrading for the time being.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is the loss in peak brightness measured on al sizes? I believe the 48" has a slightly lower peak brightness to start with. Presumably because the higher pixel density means they can't cope with as much power in the smaller area.

100 cd/m^2 seems like a lot but perception is logarithmic so it shouldn't be as dramatic as it sounds. That said, it shouldn't be happening and I don't fancy upgrading for the time being.
As stated in HxNW's original post he did measurements immediately before and after the update.
Even if the 48 models should have a lower peak brightness, there is still a drop of 100nit when comparing pre and post update values.

·
Registered
65" LG CX, Yamaha RXV-677 AV-Receiver, Monitor Audio BX-6, BX-2, BX-C and BX-W10
56 Posts
As stated in HxNW's original post he did measurements immediately before and after the update.
Even if the 48 models should have a lower peak brightness, there is still a drop of 100nit when comparing pre and post update values.
I get that, my point is just that different size models might be affected differently by the new firmware with respect to a drop in peak brightness.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,054
I seem to recall hearing it somewhere and it also seems to be the case for the measurements here LG CX OLED Review (OLED48CXPUB, OLED55CXPUA, OLED65CXPUA, OLED77CXPUA) (55") vs LG 48 CX OLED Review (48").
Quoted from the 48" CX review: "This doesn't get as bright as the LG CX OLED TV because this was tested in 'PC' mode, which is what we expect most people to have it in while using it as a monitor. If you want to use it for gaming or watching movies, you can use the other pictures modes and the TV will be brighter."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quoted from the 48" CX review: "This doesn't get as bright as the LG CX OLED TV because this was tested in 'PC' mode, which is what we expect most people to have it in while using it as a monitor. If you want to use it for gaming or watching movies, you can use the other pictures modes and the TV will be brighter."
Vincent Teoh also found out his 48" LG CX sample to be dimmer than 55" or 65", though rtings' Sony A9S 48" has almost exactly the same brightness as Sony A8H.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,057
Vincent Teoh also found out his 48" LG CX sample to be dimmer than 55" or 65", though rtings' Sony A9S 48" has almost exactly the same brightness as Sony A8H.
He measured 600 nits of peak brightness on the 48" and 678 nits of peak brightness on the 55". Less than 100 nits of difference seems to be well within panel variance territory to me. I don't know why he said otherwise. I don't really buy into that pixel density/aperture ratio explanation from him really. But well, I'm not the expert here. If he's right, then damn, that sucks.

8041 - 8060 of 9774 Posts